Creating Oshabi

"
While very nice story and touch to the story. It feel bad to see NPC sacrificed to become a boss of its own content.

If she could be redeemed through to boss fight, just to be corrupted once again after and after, again and again. Would open the possibility to have her as master.

After the first iteration she would discover just how bad the groove and life force was and would seek to find means of destroying it. - By using it.
She would eventually end up failing and becoming the boss again.

It felt nice thinking that there could be master whose specific reward was crafting, instead of loot explosion.

I am with this one this is reallly cool idea
also is there any way to read the npcs dialogues ?
"
Time01 wrote:

https://poedb.tw/us/Oshabi
"
hexadecima wrote:
And more protractedly:

Dear Nick,

We know you want Zana to be a villain. Either you pitched her as taking Sirus's place (hence the similar colour palette) or possibly as the final boss in Path of Exile 2. TarkeCat made an offhand remark in a Baeclast video after Exilecon that seems to implicate you in particular as pushing for this plot development. If I've mistaken you for another Nick on the writing team, I apologise.

Please stop doing this. It's already a tired cliché in PoE's writing that Nightmare/Rapture/Corruption/Lifeforce/the Twist/the Cataclysm grinds up and spits out characters who act selflessly. Good stories need catharsis, and if every plot has a dark ending, lore-sensitive players will start finding the world of Wraeclast simply too bleak to return to. These are the players you're writing for, the ones who actually care to engage in the setting. People didn't watch Game of Thrones just to soak up the negative emotions of the show's villains. They rooted for the heroes, and for hope. Writing a dark setting is not an excuse for bludgeoning your audience repeatedly with tragic fates.

There is also cause for concern when this is applied to the players themselves. When Zana started worrying about the player's well-being in Conquerors of the Atlas, you began backing us into a false dilemma: we haven't been given an alternative way to engage with Wraeclast, and the game is actively built to encourage infinite replayability, so it's ludonarratively dissonant to tell players they're bad people for simply choosing to play your game in the way it was intended to be played. I understand that this seemed like an extreme novelty at the time the idea was invented, but the ramifications of it are dreadful. The game Hotline Miami was famously built around this whole premise—what if the player is wrong for playing the game?—and now this cynicism is so baked into the identity of their publisher that it limits the appeal of their games.

I will probably write more on this in the future. On Reddit. With a big cardboard sign that says "THE END IS NIGH AND THE WARCRY REWORK IS PROOF." You'll see.

I respect your point of view but, I am really enjoying the dark story of path of exile, and specificly that idea that we are also part of that bad dark evil world, I don't know I feel that it is really a silly thing to engage with the story while having other stories in the back of your mind to highlight what is good and what is not

weirdchamp
"
"
Time01 wrote:

https://poedb.tw/us/Oshabi

ty so much
Still reminds me of Washabi...

"
Time01 wrote:

Why fight progress?
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
Last edited by Aias_o_Telamonios on Jul 1, 2020, 9:29:03 AM
Since it's brought upon and I have some time, I want to tell my opinion on writing of Path of Exile.

I don't really get the reason that peopne want to see Exiles as classic "white knight" heroes. Their backstory: Witch, a dark mage, who admires Piety's experiments, and murdered children back in Oriath; Ranger, who hates civilisation and progress and prefers nature over humans; Shadow, hired assassin, who killed plenty of people for money and familiar with "noble" life of Oriath due to his work; Scion, who is inherently insane and is connected to Nightmare/Corruption and its monsters; Templar, follower of Innocence and Oriath's faith, which is quite radical (though, I would say that he's on lighter side). Duelist and Marauder are only ones, who are "Good"/selfless (and then, as we see with Daresso, fighting for sake of fighting and honour could lead to evil).

(And that background of playable Exiles is the reason that I really don't get them trusting Sin, especially Witch, Ranger and Shadow; Sin's dialogues would make much more sense being directed to Zana than the Exiles.)

I could see them caring about Nessa, a person, who helped them when they were weakest in Act 1 and wanting to save her in Act 6. I could see them being friends with Einhar or Niko, and defeating Kitava because they are living in this world too and being eaten by him isn't option. But why Zana's "greater good" would be more compelling to them than Venarius' "greater good" or Innocence's "greater good"? Both implied that the Exile should lose thie freedom, the thing they treasure the most. I cannot imagine any of the Exiles accepting that they should be locked in the Atlas, when Zana would try to do it to them, the first four exiles because they are quite selfish, Duelist, because it isn't fair and honourable fight, and Marauder, because he's former slave and would not want to ever think about losing freedom again.

That's is, the consistency of characters' lore. Zana being villain to Exiles makes complete sense (this doesn't makes her story about wanting back her father less sympathetic to the player, but, the player and playable character are different beings; Exiles never know the Shaper in person, it's hard to imagine them to seriously care about him).
Last edited by Tortoise_Turtle on Jul 1, 2020, 9:47:20 AM
Those are valid points but I think you already know the answer to all that. PoE doesn't have a cohesive lore. It's just bits and pieces written to support various leagues and additions to the game that are written without any previous "master plan".

The lore and dialogue are an afterthought (maybe rightfully so as most players just ignore them) and all the design effort is put into everything else. This is supposed to be improved in PoE 2.0 but honestly I doubt we'll even see a truly cohesive lore as GGG can't possibly pre-plan its next 20 expansions of the game.

This is all ok for me though. Having good lore would be nice but the priority should always be the game.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
Last edited by Aias_o_Telamonios on Jul 1, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
The onlu thing that takes my need and pleasure of playing poe now is epic poor, complicated mechanic of this stupid league. GGG you dont give us nothing, as always no info. You are normal? or rather not? This league will end like bestiary, you will do race month before its end. Maby you will learn that we want not complicated leagues like abbys, breach, legacy, delve. Is to hard? Maby that new zealand lies at the end of world make you retarded there?
Last edited by qlasboy on Jul 1, 2020, 10:22:36 AM
I think a huge issue is this artificial divide between "White Knight" and "Selfish Power-Hungry Exile", as if the only alternative to a psychopathic Exile only interested in accruing more power is a childish image of a perfectly pristine Paladin. This kind of binary thinking sucks. It's perfectly possible for a troubled character like the Witch to still care about abstract concepts like the overall freedom of humanity in the face of despotic deities.
I really like her design, she feels like a mixture of Maramoa and Navali.

But can we talk about how in her fight she keeps saying that she is the grove and how we keep planting seeds in said grove... seems a bit... "off".

Also is there any chance we can still get her concept art as an apparition effect? The pose she has on there feels right for it. Plus I really like the colors on her in general, the dark/er colors with a bright blue have always been a favourite of mine.
bottomtext
Last edited by CreatorXM on Jul 1, 2020, 10:47:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info