Development Stories - The Conquerors of the Atlas

"
AmbientImpact wrote:
It's kind of stunning - though not surprising - how negative and vicious some players are. Imagine pouring your blood and sweat into this game as a developer only to have to deal with people who take time out of their day to tear your work to shreds, to warp and distort your hard work, who act like this is the Worst Thing Ever, and show little self-awareness of what they're doing, or how completely short-sighted they look to the rest of us.

I am sure developers are mature adults that realize that there is always people that like whatever you did and people who hate whatever you did. And then the middle ground that like your things based on execution.
So one person telling you that your work is shit, doesn't ruin their day.

"
AmbientImpact wrote:

There are aspects of the current atlas that I like, and aspects that I feel are a step back compared to the previous atlas (such as the Shaper and Elder influence/battle lines). I love the narrative of turning our own gameplay (grinding maps) into an actual plot point. I love the watchstones and how they work. There are definitely areas that need more fleshing out and improvements, including adding a lot of that cut content to help make it feel more cohesive and less disjointed - I love the idea of Sirus invading maps and having this sort of persistent presence. Yes, I even like Zana. It's a good start but I hope more gets built into it with each league release.

This so much, that kind of stuff is a simple idea, but if executed well can really make the world feel alive with the player as it's more "connected" to us, to what we the players experience.
Make no mistake, stories like elder and shaper are always fun and good, but there is a difference in terms of reading about some distant magical world, and being canonically part of the world.
Spoiler
P.S how many of you realize that Shaper is basically the Min-maxer personified? "Everything short of perfection is irrelevant" "Imperfection must be reshaped(re-crafted/re-rolled)"
"
Ashur_Hawke wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:
Still hoping we can kill Zana in PoE 2.

So tired of Zana wanking. She was never an interesting character. Its funny how you add more and more to her and she's still rather unlikable. boring character.
yep, that's Zana. [Removed by Support]

lmao, look at the absolute state of PoE moderation. You can't criticize terrible writing. Guess that unsurprisingly there was no positive change with more mods. Quantity as usual does not mean quality

This is exactly the problem. Doting on a character to such an extent. Its obvious that there's a huge bias and she's someones favorite.
Funnily enough Kirac did show up as I said it would. Better jump in the way to save the queen. Imagine simping out for a fictional character. wew lad
Allow me to destroy you before she has a chance to betray you too, at least, my way will be quick.

You okay there Sirus?

hahaha, initially, I didnt even notice the additional words there. Pretty good.
But seriously, writers dont know how to properly feed a character to the readers. At least TRY to give a break to Zana, you have a LOT of underveloped characters and yet you forcefeed us Zana at every turn. What was even the point of Kirac? just a character to take a bullet for her, literally and metaphorically.
She should have been given a rest after her father storyline was over. Make the players miss it. Instead its just "Oh here's more Zana being written as always in the right, isnt she amazing? are you in love with her as much as I am? cause I sure am".
I can't believe people can be so stupid as wanting to kill Greust before 6 new acts when his behavior completely fit his situation (Sole warrior and provider for a decimated tribe) but they want this terrible character to stay.
Its like the feather dilemma with Tasuni and Irasha, there's no dilemma because the author can't into morally grey. Female Greust even got as low as a rape sob story (very manipulative on the writer side) and Tasuni is blatantly only serving himself. THAT is awful writing (actually its a clear cut classic case of dishonest writing, giving the reader choice but then hitting them with a hammer when they didnt pick the choice you wanted), just as the exile being a goody two shoes ready to save the world at every turn despite supposedly being a self-centered criminal(????).
But hey, like whoever thought it was a good idea to have the Scion and the witch dumbed down over time (still cringe whenever I hear the witch say "deal with it" like a twitter teenager) maybe its the writing the general populace deserves. Honestly, the game is missing trade, race and lore overhaul. Marauder and Templar need to say something about killing their gods. What the hell happened to the Alira and the rest? probably a lot more Im missing cause I havent read most lore in years because its really bad. Here's hoping that PoE2 will be better, at least they were capable of making children monsters so that gives me hope. (really hate invisible children in games, especially horror ones)
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 26, 2020, 2:42:05 AM
"
Disrupted wrote:

hahaha, initially, I didnt even notice the additional words there. Pretty good.

:)
"
Disrupted wrote:

But seriously, writers dont know how to properly feed a character to the readers. At least TRY to give a break to Zana, you have a LOT of underveloped characters and yet you forcefeed us Zana at every turn. What was even the point of Kirac? just a character to take a bullet for her, literally and metaphorically.
She should have been given a rest after her father storyline was over. Make the players miss it. Instead its just "Oh here's more Zana being written as always in the right, isnt she amazing? are you in love with her as much as I am? cause I sure am".
I can't believe people can be so stupid as wanting to kill Greust before 6 new acts when his behavior completely fit his situation (Sole warrior and provider for a decimated tribe) but they want this terrible character to stay.
Its like the feather dilemma with Tasuni and Irasha, there's no dilemma because the author can't into morally grey. Female Greust even got as low as a rape sob story (very manipulative on the writer side) and Tasuni is blatantly only serving himself. THAT is awful writing (actually its a clear cut classic case of dishonest writing, giving the reader choice but then hitting them with a hammer when they didnt pick the choice you wanted), just as the exile being a goody two shoes ready to save the world at every turn despite supposedly being a self-centered criminal(????).
But hey, like whoever thought it was a good idea to have the Scion and the witch dumbed down over time (still cringe whenever I hear the witch say "deal with it" like a twitter teenager) maybe its the writing the general populace deserves. Honestly, the game is missing trade, race and lore overhaul. Marauder and Templar need to say something about killing their gods. What the hell happened to the Alira and the rest? probably a lot more Im missing cause I havent read most lore in years because its really bad. Here's hoping that PoE2 will be better, at least they were capable of making children monsters so that gives me hope. (really hate invisible children in games, especially horror ones)

You can always write your own version and post it, I am sure people are interested in these superior ideas you have. At he very least people could go "wow this is much better" or "nah I think it's only better in your own mind, not my cup of tea" As it stands saying you don't like things and how it could be a lot better is a bit...unresolved in terms of discussion.
"
Ashur_Hawke wrote:

You can always write your own version and post it, I am sure people are interested in these superior ideas you have. At he very least people could go "wow this is much better" or "nah I think it's only better in your own mind, not my cup of tea" As it stands saying you don't like things and how it could be a lot better is a bit...unresolved in terms of discussion.

Oh please, Im not gonna work for free and fanfics are for the autistical. I already pointed out more than enough problems with it.
You only need to be deaf to think there's no such thing as bad music.

EDIT: and honestly I dont care about the opinions of the type of randoms who wanted to kill Greust just cause he spit on the ground. Popularity doesnt matter, J.K. Rowling is a pretty mediocre writer and look how popular she is. (hell, Id say she's an awful writer with the cardinal writing sins she comitted for political gain, the world setting was pretty cool though, pity it wasnt in the hands of someone more capable)
If anything the sub-low 80 IQ crowd disliking hypotetical writing would only validate me. With that said, I dont think I can write for shit either, but that doesnt make me blind.
Ideally I think there should be a revamp of normal 10 act PoE to go with PoE2, not only the number of acts is a problem, I think it could do with some rewriting. Act 4 Tasuni is a character, Act 9 Tasuni is a caricature, might as well give him a twirly mustache.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 26, 2020, 9:44:57 AM
interesting read, thanks for sharing

no offense but imho "russian zana, best zana". she had the most flair and erotic voice.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Kutuzovh wrote:
"
Edit: Looking at poedb, there are also alternate lines for Sirus (including what seems to be a different ending for his battle) and a bunch of monsters influenced by him.

I found a lot of unused voicelines in the ggpk from zana, sirus and the conquerors. Some caught my attention more than others, like zana screaming "Kirac, now!" and one where she is... putting all her effort in something/grunting?, both lines supposedly placed somewhere during sirus' final battle, judging by file name

She's grunting with effort trying to move Kirac's body out of the way so she can trip the box trap over Sirus, after he went in there to fetch that enticingly scented bottle of Zana Bathwater.

But unlike a cosmic anatomical dead space, Sirus actually knows it's a trap and wedges the edge up with his Doc Martens...

(Unused lore can be fun, but the big loopholes in the storyline are best filled with inane comedy because otherwise who would pay attention to this gothic tween amateur hour shit?)
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info