(Old league) Cut-throat testers wanted

CAN I JOIN PLS I WAITING FOR PVP SOO LONG :d
"
"
Drudley wrote:
Why is so many for any kind of notification when someone comes for you?

That completely takes away the non consensual pvp part of the league, you might as well just stick to regular leagues and duels.

If someone doesn't want to pvp he will simply log off or town portal his ass back to town if someone invades his instance.

If someone doesn't want to pvp, they WILL stick to default/hardcore. The moment you choose to play cut-throat, you're signing an invisible agreement, a contract, a *pact*. You're offering yourself into the arms of the chaos and the constant threat of being killed, losing all your shit and maybe peeing your pants. But...but there's always a chance the soggy underwear will be on the other crotch.

...And that's why an alert, especially a nice, loud one, is essential. If you're the hunted, you know it. Fear kicks in. Excitement. Adrenaline. The terror of being killed squares off with the manifest hope that you might just win. Do you run? Sure...but in which direction?

I think you're missing the point.

There should be zero warning, the only warning needed is the one you get when you create your character in the cut-throat league.

When you play you must be constantly aware of the possible danger instead of being completely at ease until you get an announcement of someone coming for you.

I'm sure there are people who want to play this league to gank others, to kill others, but prefer not being ganked or hunted themselves, these people should not get an easy way out of all attacks by getting a warning so they can just town portal out of there.
Walking the path since August 20th 2011.
If it weren't for town portal, or really, the instancing system in general, it'd be best to have a warning. I feel like it should show you an enemy player on your map if they get within a screen and a half of you or so, so you have more warning than none for a flicker striking psychopath to teleport onto your face in the middle of a fight, but not enough for you to just town portal and leave. And as previously suggested maybe a delay to entering a town portal would be good too.

Either way, the PVP aspect is a great deal of fun, even without any change to how it's done now it'd still be a fun league to play in.
"
Drudley wrote:

I think you're missing the point.

There should be zero warning, the only warning needed is the one you get when you create your character in the cut-throat league.

When you play you must be constantly aware of the possible danger instead of being completely at ease until you get an announcement of someone coming for you.

I'm sure there are people who want to play this league to gank others, to kill others, but prefer not being ganked or hunted themselves, these people should not get an easy way out of all attacks by getting a warning so they can just town portal out of there.

The fact that you are playing Cut-throat means you ARE constantly aware of the possible danger. And that danger is not 'being ganked', but 'being invaded'. The danger is not in the dying, not at first. The danger is in the violation of your instance.

And I'd bet most people who want to play this league to gank others, to kill others, will *not* be the ones running in the other direction when someone enters their turf. Pride goes both ways: in the offensive and the defensive. Those who are offensive know the best defence is a good offence, clichéd though it might be. For them, the horrible jarring sound and the flashing alert isn't an alarm, it's a call to arms. A threat to their territory.

...Sorry, which point was I missing?

Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 19, 2012, 8:52:27 AM
I had a great time in this league last night. Didn't bother trying to climb the ladder, I just made it to level 7 or so (after getting beaten senseless multiple times) and hung out on the terraces where all the high levels would come to kill on the lowbies.

The 2 things I found outright lame was the fact that you spend so much time in an instance after you leave it, and that melee is screwed at catching up to runners and kiters.

I chose a marauder thinking being tanky would be a good thing in pvp. For my skills I took heavy strike and shield charge hoping that I could hit hard in melee range and chase down with shield charge. This wasn't the case at all. It turns out that shield charge is useless for chasing down opponents and only good on stationary targets or running away from an ice witch (was actually perma-froze by ice spear multiple times, a little op imo.) In the end, to catch up with faster opponents I had to resort to removing my armor and shield to engage a fleeing opponent. As you can imagine, this did not end well.

Now the time you spend out on an instance is insanely long. You can easily go from full life and ES to 0 trying to escape. I expect to maybe get hit once or twice while changing zones if the guy is already on top of you, but this is just far too much and makes away any sort of escape virtually impossible.

I kinda like the player joined instance message and the fact that you can see players on the map. How are you supposed to track down players with no icon or see where you have to go to engage a challenger? I also agree with others that the player has joined area message should be beefed up with a nice d2 hostile esque sound.

My last concern is that of quest items being dropped on death. It's not a big deal in act 1 since you don't have to go far to recover your quest items, but Act 2 revolves around you carrying quest items throughout the whole act. It could be a big pain.
<Dregs of Theopolis>
~US Eastern~

*Hardcore PoE fan since September 2, 2010*
Damn why did I not see this. Of course i woulda wanted in on it :(
I'm BACK :)
"
NotSorry wrote:
That's what cut-throat is, open world, not solo instances

But the world is so small, I still wonder how 100-2000 people can play there at the same time.

Must see gameplay vids to imagine that.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
"
rabidwolf9 wrote:
My last concern is that of quest items being dropped on death. It's not a big deal in act 1 since you don't have to go far to recover your quest items, but Act 2 revolves around you carrying quest items throughout the whole act. It could be a big pain.

Good comment about quest items- I missed out last night but were quest items actually dropping on death?

I agree that could be... odd for Act 2.

You'd have to stash the gem and amulets and spear and stuff and only make the dash for the vine covered zone entrance in River Crossings when you were confident you could get there safely without anyone else following you, lol.
Awww, just saw it now,

I want I want!

Next time!

.:It's never too late to become what you might have been:.
i love the idea chris, a few things i could suggest.

~hostile notification, red or orange text of players name entering area.
~make templars more effective, faster attack speed or something. to slow compared to witch
~every instance has atleast 1 player in it. to many empty zones.
Phase 1: Make D3

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info