Which skills are area skills?

Generally affecting modifiers only show up.

Simply, projectile skills have a projectile
Area skills have a cone or circle, that is they hit enemies nearby. Frost Wall does not have an area because of how it works. If the description says it hits multiple enemies, outside of piercing enemies, then it is an area skill.
To the original post, don't feel weird for being confused, they really need to specify which moves are considered area spells/abilities. I don't mind experimenting during Beta, but once I get serious with a character I won't want to be guessing whether my moves will be improved by the area passive skills.

I suggest just adding the word (Area) in the description at the end, in parenthesis.
DEXTERITY: How to rehaul it to be compelling
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/997273
Area skill is all skill with a circular area of effect. Easiest example of these are the aura radius, enduring cry radius, shock nova, ice nova, sweep and many more.

Here are more specific notes: Skill that have effect in a cone are effectively circle that is cut in an angle (full circle being 360 degree, think pie chart etc...). One example of this is Cleave, Ground Slam

Ice spear is not an area skill, it is a projectile that deal dmg on impact, how large the projectile to determine the hit is not an area of effect. It is currently impossible to change this number.

Fireball on the other hand is also a projectile spell. However upon impact, fireball deal a small area of effect (explosion) around the impact point. (the specific mechanics regarding what dmg is deal on impact and what dmg deal on explosion and whether the 2 dmg can overlap on the impacted unit I don't know yet)

Shock nova have 2 area of effect value, one for the inner ring and one for the outer ring.

When a passive/effect increase the radius, all radius value in the skill will be modified, even if the skill did not do damage. The passive that are more specific (increase radius of aura) will only apply to that specific group.

When a passive/effect increase the area damage, it will only be applicable to skill that deal dmg on that area of effect. For example fireball, only the explosion dmg will be modified, the impact dmg won't.

There's an exception for Minion Instability that did not follow this due to how it work in the engine, but that's just 1 case.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
Last edited by Progammer on Apr 17, 2012, 6:31:46 PM
"
HlGHLANDER wrote:
It would be good if it was possible to see all modifiers applying to any given skill you're using, and what exactly those modifiers are.

i.e. show modifiers from passives, as well as from support gems and gear.

Granted this would be a lot of information, but it would remove any and all guess work.

Yeah, I would really like to see something like that. I was thinking that you could have expandable sections in the current skill info in the character window, so if you wanted more detail you could keep opening up options to see exactly what's going on.

-Robin
"
Umbraal wrote:
Generally affecting modifiers only show up.

That doesn't help here; the AoE increase shows up in the "Misc" tab, and it shows up no matter what skill I select.

-Robin
Is there a wiki somewhere where I can put this info? People shouldn't have to search forums for useful stuff like this!

"
Progammer wrote:
Shock nova have 2 area of effect value, one for the inner ring and one for the outer ring.

Does AoE increase affect both? Because if so, that means that Shock Nova will get more and more difficult to use as you add to that value, as the inner ring gets farther and father away. That doesn't seem right.

-Robin

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info