Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Greater Spell Echo bonuses not working on Ice Nova if cast on Frostbolt

This is not a bug.

Repeating is a specific game mechanic. Ice Nova does not repeat when cast on frostbolt. It instead expands again without repeating (which would cause the character to play the cast animation again, as all repeating does). This is explicitly worded on the gem as being a different thing it does instead of repeating, and has been since the mechanic was introduced to the game.

Because Ica Nova has this special behaviour that it does instead of repeating in this case, it does not benefit from modifiers that specifically apply to repeating - because it's not doing that.

Previously the area modifier from Greater Spell Echo did apply to the subsequent expansions here, which was incorrect, and was fixed in 3.10.0.

Damage modifiers based on repeating have actually never applied to Ica Nova when cast on Frostbolt.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 6, 2020, 2:29:11 AM
"
Hey all,

Thank you for the reports, we're aware of the problem.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
This is not a bug.

Repeating is a specific game mechanic. Ice Nova does not repeat when cast on frostbolt. It instead expands again without repeating (which would cause the character to play the cast animation again, as all repeating does). This is explicitly worded on the gem as being a different thing it does instead of repeating, and has been since the mechanic was introduced to the game.

Because Ica Nova has this special behaviour that it does instead of repeating in this case, it does not benefit from modifiers that specifically apply to repeating - because it's not doing that.

Previously the area modifier from Greater Spell Echo did apply to the subsequent expansions here, which was incorrect, and was fixed in 3.10.0.

Damage modifiers based on repeating have actually never applied to Ica Nova when cast on Frostbolt.

so, is it a problem or is it not?
It's working as intended.

It's a problem for the people who expected it to work differently, I suppose.
Does this also mean that Awakened Spell Echo's "Final Repeat of Supported Skills has 19% chance to deal Double Damage" also has no effect on Ice Nova when cast on Frostbolt? Because if so, then Awakened Spell Echo would actually be worse than Spell Echo (for this build) until Level 4 or 5.
If it was an intentional fix in 3.10, it sure would have been nice to see it in the patch notes.

The build can still perform adequately, but had I known that it was receiving such a treatment I would have made an informed decision to play something else.

Intentional change or not, it's definitely a significantly noticeable nerf to the build overall.
"
Arcinde wrote:
Does this also mean that Awakened Spell Echo's "Final Repeat of Supported Skills has 19% chance to deal Double Damage" also has no effect on Ice Nova when cast on Frostbolt? Because if so, then Awakened Spell Echo would actually be worse than Spell Echo (for this build) until Level 4 or 5.

I'm interpreting it as any Spell Echo/repeat mechanic having no effect on FB/Ice Nova other than causing the nova to re-expand (i.e. no damage/AOE amp).

As for people complaining that this is a nerf to the build, apparently we have NEVER received damage bonuses from spell echoes, so the only nerf is AOE, which isn't that massive, to be honest. The clarification is actually quite helpful in determining whether to take the build in different directions.
Last edited by RoflsALot on Apr 6, 2020, 4:24:07 AM
rofl nice to know after 3 milestone updates and people playing pledge ice nova a GGG official actually explain it. at least it faired better than getting relevant info on minions. btw is there ANY other instance in this game where things repeat, but dont actually repeat, cuz for all i knew the tooltip was referring to (you the caster) not repeat casting but the explosions go off anyway

how the heck else were we supposed to know its a reserved keyword mechanic? guess this is the same internal classification system that lead to aura stacking to go rampant

welp time to pack it up folks, shows over
Last edited by beaverworks on Apr 6, 2020, 8:35:51 AM
oof
On a different note, at least my "damage feels the same as last league" comment was actually accurate.
OK, so is Pledge of Hands actually broken or no? Does this thread only apply to Ice Nova interactions?

I was thinking of getting one sometime to try with Arc spell but someone was saying PoH is only half working, atm.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info