[3.15]Archmage Ball Lightning Hierophant, will it work in Expedition?

"
Well I just completed my first map without dying lol. I am either really bad at naturally evading stuff or my mana pool isn't large enough to sustain me.

I think it's because I am used to playing Attack builds where you just face-tank and leech massive amounts of life. This playstyle is very hard to adapt to.

one think that u are missing and was a game change for me when i was levelling is the Dynamo node and the arcane surge points from ascendancy helps a lot too for survivability
"
Meeestre wrote:
"
Well I just completed my first map without dying lol. I am either really bad at naturally evading stuff or my mana pool isn't large enough to sustain me.

I think it's because I am used to playing Attack builds where you just face-tank and leech massive amounts of life. This playstyle is very hard to adapt to.

one think that u are missing and was a game change for me when i was levelling is the Dynamo node and the arcane surge points from ascendancy helps a lot too for survivability

Oh snap! I can't believe I skipped over those nodes. Hell yeah, Dynamo looks awesome. That should help a lot with my mana issues. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

I will invest into Arcane surge ascendancy with my next points. I just really hate doing Labyrinth so I'm avoiding it lol.

I'm Left of Right and far Right of Left.
"
Phosph wrote:
Hello everyone. Im trying to level a templar for this build atm and almost finished with the acts. I got 30ex budget to play and i was thinking about going crit not EO. Does 30 ex budget fine for crit and if so is there any good POB for crit build? I was looking to poe.ninja but seems like everyone goes for different passive trees and gems. Any recommendation what should i do? Thanks for the answers

Go to page 65 in this thread, SkylerOG's PoB. I would say 30ex is plenty to get you some headway into the crit version. When you start looking for Assassin's mark ring / jewels with double crit multi, that's where the cost starts to accelerate. But really, you basically only need a different passive tree and bottled faith (plus a betrayal crit craft flask)
This is one of the most fun builds I've ever played. Everything feels great, maybe a little squishy to big hits. I am unsure of how to scale my damage further. I have a decent bit of currency but I'm not sure what to spend it on. I know my belt and ring could be better but other than that I am not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
@pedalbike: iF you have the currency and want to pump a lot more damage, I would start switching over to the crit version.

Only hit LVL 75 and it really feels so great to destroy everything(so far), now working toward cluster jewel but Idk what's the best combination of notable. I knew that Scintillating Idea is a must-have so the next that im planned to get is Supercharge and Doryani's Lesson or Widespread Destruction, is it a good idea or we don't need 3rd notable on the large cluster at all due to passive points amount?

"
ssampiseth wrote:

Only hit LVL 75 and it really feels so great to destroy everything(so far), now working toward cluster jewel but Idk what's the best combination of notable. I knew that Scintillating Idea is a must-have so the next that im planned to get is Supercharge and Doryani's Lesson or Widespread Destruction, is it a good idea or we don't need 3rd notable on the large cluster at all due to passive points amount?

Supercharge is useless for this build cause huge added damage from Archame just flattens the damage range. Doryani's Lesson is also not so useful as Hierophant has leech from Arcane Surge.

For prefix notables, I would choose from Vengeful Commander, Sadist or Prismatic Heart. Thunderstruck would be best for the crit version. For suffix notable, I would choose Disorienting Display as blind is a strong defensive layer.
Last edited by Aniki_Leads_people on Feb 9, 2021, 11:20:28 AM
Update with my findings so far after investing more into this build:

Single target dps is just nuts, it absolutely melts bosses in seconds. I noticed that changing to Anomalous gems really helped with the inherently slow wind-up and echo stagnation. Cast speed seems super important for this build. It was only until I got to around 6 CPS that it started feeling less awkward, at least in terms of clearing maps.

Clear speed overall is quite a bit slower than attack builds I play, simply due to the wait time on projectiles. Quite a few times I have been nuked before my balls even reach the pack. I feel I have to creep/scout a lot more diligently in maps so I can time the wind-up to take out the nastier packs.

Makes me inclined to think that some increased projectile speed would make mapping feel a lot better.

In regards to survivability, again I feel like I have to play very diligently as opposed to leech builds. It would also seem like you have to have better situational awareness in general as a caster- something I am working on improving lol.

For t4/5 maps 4k mana just did not cut it and/or low regen. Now at 8k mana with 1400 mps I am able to survive t10 rituals pretty consistently. Though I think a large part of my problem was mapping without Illuminated Devotion for the Ailment immunity- That seems to have helped immensely. Before that I was constantly getting shutdown/hindered to the point I could not wind-up enough balls to clear a path around me.

I am still unsure about what would compliment the build most at this point: more mana for the big hits or more regen for better sustain. At the moment I am trying to balance the two. Though I recently dropped a lot of regen in favour of a large boost to max mana pool, not sure if that was a good idea yet.

Lastly, just wanted to say thank you to the people who helped me get this build up and running, especially Jsuslack313, you were a great help, And of course the build author for sharing it. It's quite a tricky little build to get going smoothly and it's one of the most fun builds I've tried so far.

"
-

Couple extra notes: you don't need a health flask with The Agnostic node, so you can drop it for another defensive flask. Also, I think it would work better to only have 1 enduring eternal mana flask. Get rid of rotgut

Never underestimate how important flasks are for survivability and damage! Since you are noncrit, I would use: Quicksilver, Onslaught (preferably cinderswallow), enduring eternal mana, rumi's, either phys reduction flask or Atziri's (dps + chaos resist).

On your tree: Get rid of Dreamer and instead take Forethought. We want MORE mana cost, not less.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 9, 2021, 1:46:38 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
-

Couple extra notes: you don't need a health flask with The Agnostic node, so you can drop it for another defensive flask. Also, I think it would work better to only have 1 enduring eternal mana flask. Get rid of rotgut

Never underestimate how important flasks are for survivability and damage! Since you are noncrit, I would use: Quicksilver, Onslaught (preferably cinderswallow), enduring eternal mana, rumi's, either phys reduction flask or Atziri's (dps + chaos resist).

On your tree: Get rid of Dreamer and instead take Forethought. We want MORE mana cost, not less.

Hey, thanks for the additional points of advice.

I kept the health flask for those dire times where I am brought really low and I can spam for instant recovery. It's likely that I will drop it once I get my mana pool up more.

Dreamer is only temporary atm. I feel like I need the extra regen as I am still learning how to naturally evade stuff and I take quite the beating in Rituals. I think regen is more important than damage at this point, but that's because I am not great at playing caster playstyle.

I'm aiming for around 2k MPS to account for my inability to dodge nasty stuff. I will invest into damage once I feel more comfortable with the build.

Regards cluster jewels, could I get your opinion on which of these are better ?

3 passives
Passive skills grant 6% max mana
passive skills also grant: 10 to maximum mana
passive skills also grant: 6 intelligence
passive skills also grant: +4% all resists
Passive skill: Sage: 20% mana regen, 20 light res, 1.5% life regen

or

3 passives
Passive skills grant 6% max mana
passive skills also grant: 2 attributes
passive skill also have 25% increased effect
passive skill: Openness: 30 to max mana, 20% maximum mana

Can't decide which is better.

PS. I have Rotgut only because I have nothing better to use atm. My fingers only ever reach the 5th slot when nothing is going on so I figured why not Movement potion lol. I think I will swap it for another movement potion that has more charges.

Last edited by twittypoopcraft on Feb 9, 2021, 3:41:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info