[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

"
Scarface335 wrote:

Will you share your POB ?
Also do you Use EE, i'm using EE, but after recorded video and watch in slow, i see that bosses half of the time are resistant to Cold, how do you avoid this ?

PoB: https://pastebin.com/4EQZkFwd

And I use EE, the idea is to slow your casting down on big bosses to allow them time to take the vortex damage while Storm Brand makes them vulnerable. You want to cast vortex just often enough to keep it under the boss.
"
n_Velocity wrote:
This is my version of LL of this build inspired by my friend.

Few items arent finished due to laziness, took enough r/a crafts to get some of them anyway, and I just didn't want to bother myself.

All res are 75 including chaos res and chaos dot res. Have 10.2k es with 6m+ dps without EE and it just feels like enough do to whole endgame.

EDIT: Here are my jewels.

And here is PoB for interested - https://pastebin.com/Mr9Bj6xm

Yeah holy shit your gear is crazy. For anyone who liked my post, these are some items I would have loved to have:

Those gloves especially are amazing with elevated culling strike and Cold DoT Multi, except that Unnerve does nothing for this build. It does not increase the damage over time enemies take. So I would have like to see ES prefixes instead of Unnerve and % damage.

The helmet is meh, as the freeze and negative enemy resist aren't as good as the cold dot from Rime Gaze.

The +2 corruption to Prism Guardian ended up not being any additional damage for me over the +1 corruption, in which case getting a double corrupted shield makes more sense (check your PoB, this could differ depending on the other global gem level modifiers you get and the level of your aura gems).

Not sure why you went with the stygian over a crystal belt; I mean yours is really well crafted with the flat ES / % ES / recovery rate ES combo. But the recovery rate and % damage are meh for me. IMO a perfect belt would be crystal with flat ES / % ES / crafted ES / some combination of resists, flask mods and Aspect of the Spider.

Other than that I think your tree would be better off with glancing blows instead of the right side pathing to Entropy and Fingers of Frost. You don't lack for damage, but the extra defensive layer is a big deal to me.

Your passive tree is weird in a couple ways. One, the cobalt jewels are super well rolled but less impactful than small clusters with Energy From Naught would be. Also you're missing ES from a Energy from Within jewel. Your WE is super expensive purely for the DoT Multi Malevolence mod since it's BiS for all of the popular chaos DoT builds (toxic rain, blade vortex, essence drain, etc). I wouldn't spent that kind of money on it without the more important Faster Start of ES Recharge mod. And you're missing some nice damage and all the ES leech that a Thread of Hope could give you. You might say that you really wanted Elusive from the right side of the tree, but this build's clear speed does NOT go up with movement speed, so it's largely wasted on us.

Lastly your gem setup is meh. You're taking a full 4 link for Cold Snap, which is a bit of damage and frenzy charges only while clearing. But you already are using Frenzy to generate frenzy charges. So having both is a waste. And forget about self casting Frost Bomb. Why would you do that? The trigger setup + EE is way better.
"
"
n_Velocity wrote:
This is my version of LL of this build inspired by my friend.

Few items arent finished due to laziness, took enough r/a crafts to get some of them anyway, and I just didn't want to bother myself.

All res are 75 including chaos res and chaos dot res. Have 10.2k es with 6m+ dps without EE and it just feels like enough do to whole endgame.

EDIT: Here are my jewels.

And here is PoB for interested - https://pastebin.com/Mr9Bj6xm

Yeah holy shit your gear is crazy. For anyone who liked my post, these are some items I would have loved to have:

Those gloves especially are amazing with elevated culling strike and Cold DoT Multi, except that Unnerve does nothing for this build. It does not increase the damage over time enemies take. So I would have like to see ES prefixes instead of Unnerve and % damage.

The helmet is meh, as the freeze and negative enemy resist aren't as good as the cold dot from Rime Gaze.

The +2 corruption to Prism Guardian ended up not being any additional damage for me over the +1 corruption, in which case getting a double corrupted shield makes more sense (check your PoB, this could differ depending on the other global gem level modifiers you get and the level of your aura gems).

Not sure why you went with the stygian over a crystal belt; I mean yours is really well crafted with the flat ES / % ES / recovery rate ES combo. But the recovery rate and % damage are meh for me. IMO a perfect belt would be crystal with flat ES / % ES / crafted ES / some combination of resists, flask mods and Aspect of the Spider.

Other than that I think your tree would be better off with glancing blows instead of the right side pathing to Entropy and Fingers of Frost. You don't lack for damage, but the extra defensive layer is a big deal to me.

Your passive tree is weird in a couple ways. One, the cobalt jewels are super well rolled but less impactful than small clusters with Energy From Naught would be. Also you're missing ES from a Energy from Within jewel. Your WE is super expensive purely for the DoT Multi Malevolence mod since it's BiS for all of the popular chaos DoT builds (toxic rain, blade vortex, essence drain, etc). I wouldn't spent that kind of money on it without the more important Faster Start of ES Recharge mod. And you're missing some nice damage and all the ES leech that a Thread of Hope could give you. You might say that you really wanted Elusive from the right side of the tree, but this build's clear speed does NOT go up with movement speed, so it's largely wasted on us.

Lastly your gem setup is meh. You're taking a full 4 link for Cold Snap, which is a bit of damage and frenzy charges only while clearing. But you already are using Frenzy to generate frenzy charges. So having both is a waste. And forget about self casting Frost Bomb. Why would you do that? The trigger setup + EE is way better.

Yeah I do realise that most of gear and passive tree could be "fixed" and/or changed, but most out of them come from different build I've played before and had it lying around, was just matter of recrafting it like gloves for example, base was already with elevated culling and unnerve, my main goal for this build was to hit 6m+ dps and 10k es, at this point i can tank basically everything without much mitigation that comes only from my flasks and shield. This is why i got 360es+ helmet and went for some funky looking boots with additional es% synth mod, both could be much better, but as I said, these are mostly just to get me up to 10k es and to look somewhat better than unique / low effort crafts, You know, aesthetics.

I've crafted Stygian purely because I couldnt find any other belt like Crystal Belt with arcane surge at that time and I didn't want to bother myself with running lab, once again. I can't really fit anything else cept auras i already use so Spider would be a wasted affix, I was crafting most of my gear exactly for myself only so as much as it doesn't fit other builds like this, it's ideal for me. Im losing only 40 flat es from crystal belt base due to eye socketed in mine + im getting some other benefits like res, some dot damage and int which is another 3% es, difference between my stygian and Crystal belt you described is minimal, really.

Prism Guardian does not provide anything with +2, true but that was basically what I had at that time available in my stash. I was looking after +3 one but those were about 300ex at the end of ritual and then i was already broke.

I didn't change my tree at all late in the league even though I was doing Bosses only, did some "research" and removed elusive as well as Fingers of frost and changed cobalts to 2x 2passive jewels with energy from naught only, and picked jewel socket under MoM to switch out for watchers eye and socket Energy from Within in its place, as much as i lose bout 500-600k combined dot dps, i get 1,5k es. I don't really want to go for Glancing Blows, feeling comfortable on right side of passive tree, bit You made me go for 12k es now, as i like "round" numbers :'D

P.S. Hypo in Cold snap 4l is there just because i can clear maps without casting a single vortex due to enough dmg from cold snap alone - except bosses ofc - and this is why elusive was still on the tree, was a nice move speed boost and it indeed was clear speed boost as well.

I don't like EE that much to go for its huge dps bonus, not fitting my playstyle, really. And i have nothing againist selfcasting frostbomb, to each his own, so is selfcasted frostbite.

Thanks for constructive criticism though and excuse me my english, it's not my native language hope everything is understandable.

How's this build looking for Ultimatum? No nerfs by the looks of it.
Last edited by idkwat on Apr 13, 2021, 5:22:56 AM
can you talk about your thoughts on power siphon vs frenzy?
more in a starting/getting used to the build kinda way.
my thoughts here:

hextouch won't curse in an area, but only what you hit, so mutliple projectiles can help the lazy player. Frenzy with lmp/gmp is an option, but sockets are sparse.

cold snap does not use frenzy charges in the trigger as I learned the hard way, so you wouldn't need that when using frenzy.

Then with frenzy, you'll probably attack faster than the spellslinger cooldown, which shouldn't be too much of a problem for this build, but here I'm not sure.

cold snap on trigger gives frenzy, but not against bosses.
Power charges are virtually useless, so it's basically multiple projectiles +culling vs one projectile but 12% more damage?
"
idkwat wrote:

Assuming nothing else is nerfed, I only saw that Frost Bomb Exposure is being decreased a bit, likely from -25% -> -15%. The build should still be an incredibly strong league starter. Even if other things have their power toned down a bit, the only thing that will kill the build is a cast speed being added to Vortex or an increase in Spellslinger reservation (again).

"
kilgor123 wrote:
can you talk about your thoughts on power siphon vs frenzy?
more in a starting/getting used to the build kinda way.
my thoughts here:

hextouch won't curse in an area, but only what you hit, so mutliple projectiles can help the lazy player. Frenzy with lmp/gmp is an option, but sockets are sparse.

cold snap does not use frenzy charges in the trigger as I learned the hard way, so you wouldn't need that when using frenzy.

Then with frenzy, you'll probably attack faster than the spellslinger cooldown, which shouldn't be too much of a problem for this build, but here I'm not sure.

cold snap on trigger gives frenzy, but not against bosses.
Power charges are virtually useless, so it's basically multiple projectiles +culling vs one projectile but 12% more damage?

Overall, I really think it's a personal preference. In general, Frenzy will feel better against bosses because of the attack speed but won't actually be stronger. Power Siphon will be significantly stronger for juiced maps or deep delve because it will have culling + 3 Frenzies from Cold Snap. For the Ultimatum mechanic, the Power Siphon setup should be stronger.

With the recent changes of eliminating EE from the main build, it opens up using Cold Snap in Trigger Wand (instead of Storm Brand). As you said, this ensures you will always have 3 Frenzy charges while clearing, but not for bosses. Because of this and using an Imbued Wand, you'll hardly notice the difference of Power Siphon versus Frenzy while mapping, but you'll definitely feel it against bosses when you don't have 3 Frenzies. If it gets to feel too clunky, just make sure to pick up the Wandslinger notable (it has pretty good damage and 9% increased attack speed).
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
"
Clydehart wrote:
"
idkwat wrote:
Assuming nothing else is nerfed, I only saw that Frost Bomb Exposure is being decreased a bit, likely from -25% -> -15%. The build should still be an incredibly strong league starter. Even if other things have their power toned down a bit, the only thing that will kill the build is a cast speed being added to Vortex or an increase in Spellslinger reservation (again).

I think with the change to FrostBomb we should drop it in favor of Anomalous FrostBolt.

"
kilgor123 wrote:

Actually Frenzy proccs Frostbolt and any of those projectiles will apply your curses. So there's no playstyle benefit to my mind of Power Siphon's multiple projectiles.

It's really 3 frenzy charges vs culling strike. In terms of damage if we consider culling strike to be equivalent to 10% more damage (it kills enemies with less than 10% health) then 3 frenzy charges will be the better dps. But also just get gloves with culling strike and you have the best of both worlds.
Last edited by kevinbrightblade on Apr 13, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
considering the nerf to explode mods, is herald of ice possible? i know in the guide it said not to have added cold damage on the wand, but i don't know if it's the wand only, or just not have added cold damage anywhere?
"
"
Clydehart wrote:
"
idkwat wrote:

I think with the change to FrostBomb we should drop it in favor of Anomalous FrostBolt.

"
kilgor123 wrote:

Actually Frenzy proccs Frostbolt and any of those projectiles will apply your curses. So there's no playstyle benefit to my mind of Power Siphon's multiple projectiles.

It's really 3 frenzy charges vs culling strike. In terms of damage if we consider culling strike to be equivalent to 10% more damage (it kills enemies with less than 10% health) then 3 frenzy charges will be the better dps. But also just get gloves with culling strike and you have the best of both worlds.

Anomalous Frostbolt will be a great alternative to Frost Bomb.

Frostbolt projectiles won't apply the curses, only the gem that is linked with Hextouch (unless you have a curse on hit ring). With this said, the extra projs will benefit applying curses to packs while clearing, but won't make a difference for bossing. To me, the value in using Power Siphon is that you get 3 frenzy charges while clearing + culling, and culling on bosses.

"
rembihnutur wrote:
considering the nerf to explode mods, is herald of ice possible? i know in the guide it said not to have added cold damage on the wand, but i don't know if it's the wand only, or just not have added cold damage anywhere?

I wouldn't use Herald of Ice, it reserves too much mana and provides no benefit to your DoT. Instead, you could pick up Profane Bloom + a curse on hit ring if you're looking for some nice pops.
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
ah okay, that makes sense. i forgot about profane bloom.

one other concern i had is that the build does good damage on a budget but seems very squishy overall (in my case, i'm using the ll version with shav), and i'm trying to figure out if it's that dependent on cinderswallow, or just not enough es/block possibly?

i'm mostly just trying to figure out what i truly need to target first at the start of the league for survival

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info