[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

k, got to maps with the build. the damage is actually ridiculous, t10 bosses are melting FAST. but a big negative is the attack speed on the frenzy: it's slow as hell, even with 3 frenzy charges. the few times I died were mainly because I took too long to attack, so I switched GMP on the frenzy setup for a Faster Attacks support. my experience while mapping improved tenfold.

here's a quick video of a T12 I did with EE turned on (damage is normally way higher).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZGpQC48fk&ab_

as you can see, the frostbolts are slower than me, so I'm pretty much going into melee range to vortex the enemies. I decided to go for a second Frozen Trail jewel after this t12 to improve my range capabilities and HOLY SHIT, it's amazing now. mapping is extra juicy.

I also noticed that the old LL setup had Frostbite alongside Frostbolt with Spellslinger, but that's no longer possible because of mana reservation. At the moment, I'm struggling to put the 2 spellslingers (2L frostbolt and 5L vortex) + discipline on mana alone, while the 3 damage auras stay on the shield. I end up with 92% mana reserved on this setup, and I'm still missing an extra link on Vortex.

I'll definitely have to drop one of the damage auras on the shield after grabbing the 6th link. So, which one should I drop? My guess is Zealotry, as it's the lowest modifier of them all (although it also gives spell crit, but I'm not using EO for now [too inconsistent, crit chance is too low], so it's kinda whatever).

also: 4th ascendancy is Forbidden Power, right? Profane Bloom won't work well with Frenzy not linked with a GMP.

also also: isn't grabbing Heart of Ice a good idea? I know that the cold damage penetration only works with hits and not DoT's, but what about the ES leech? some kind of added ES regen is sorely needed in the build. we could also go for the Soul Thief node close to Fingers of Frost (only 3 points away, for 0.3% spell damage leeched as ES).
Last edited by leafyr0kr on Sep 22, 2020, 2:46:42 AM
"
leafyr0kr wrote:
k, got to maps with the build. the damage is actually ridiculous, t10 bosses are melting FAST. but a big negative is the attack speed on the frenzy: it's slow as hell, even with 3 frenzy charges. the few times I died were mainly because I took too long to attack, so I switched GMP on the frenzy setup for a Faster Attacks support. my experience while mapping improved tenfold.

here's a quick video of a T12 I did with EE turned on (damage is normally way higher).

as you can see, the frostbolts are slower than me, so I'm pretty much going into melee range to vortex the enemies. I decided to go for a second Frozen Trail jewel after this t12 to improve my range capabilities and HOLY SHIT, it's amazing now. mapping is extra juicy.

I also noticed that the old LL setup had Frostbite alongside Frostbolt with Spellslinger, but that's no longer possible because of mana reservation. At the moment, I'm struggling to put the 2 spellslingers (2L frostbolt and 5L vortex) + discipline on mana alone, while the 3 damage auras stay on the shield. I end up with 92% mana reserved on this setup, and I'm still missing an extra link on Vortex.

I'll definitely have to drop one of the damage auras on the shield after grabbing the 6th link. So, which one should I drop? My guess is Zealotry, as it's the lowest modifier of them all (although it also gives spell crit, but I'm not using EO for now [too inconsistent, crit chance is too low], so it's kinda whatever).

also: 4th ascendancy is Forbidden Power, right? Profane Bloom won't work well with Frenzy not linked with a GMP.

also also: isn't grabbing Heart of Ice a good idea? I know that the cold damage penetration only works with hits and not DoT's, but what about the ES leech? some kind of added ES regen is sorely needed in the build. we could also go for the Soul Thief node close to Fingers of Frost (only 3 points away, for 0.3% spell damage leeched as ES).

I had the same issue with the low Attack Speed feeling terribly clunky, then I realized I was using a 1.2 base attack speed wand. Switched to a 1.5 and instantly felt waaay better, make sure you're using a 1.5.

Double First Snow seems interesting, I'll admit I'd like it if my Frostbolts were faster. I even considered using a faster projectiles support at some point.

The sad thing about not getting Profane Bloom is Frostbite mostly helps with bossing, and so many bosses are hexproof. Awakened Hextouch removes this issue though.
"
leafyr0kr wrote:

These are very helpful suggestions for improving the quality of life of this build. Giving a big thumbs up here!

+1 also for the Wand attack speed. Didn't think about that simple but logic mechanic lol.

Any thoughts about using a Frostbite-on-hit ring and therefor use some more Utility gems linked with Frenzy like Blind, Culling Strike or even Fortify? The gem description of Frenzy says it is a melee gem.
Also think about Elder gloves which can hold faster attack, blind, projectiles and what not.
is there a good discussion of flasks somewhere?

i went with the following setup:

* overflowing chalice

it just adds a bunch of damage. could substitute for any sulphur flask.

* quartz flask

pure defensive. phasing + curse removal implicit are real handy.

* rotgut

i felt like a god damn brain genius when i realized how good this is.

first: you get 40+30% movement speed during flask effect. that's just great.

second: it consumes frenzy charges to give 2 seconds per of onslaught. what do we have of as many as we want? frenzy charges. so movement speed + onslaught.

this freed up an onslaught flask for me.

* basalt flask

more defensive. bleeding removal implicit and physical damage reduction are handy.

* aztiri's promise

this one is iffy. the only thing useful with it would be the 15% elemental -> chaos damage.

if my setup were more stable i'd seriously consider a wise oak if you tryhard the elemental resists so all of them are the same. otherwise i'm not sure. accepting substitutes that don't cost an exalt.

(all of these flasks together haven't cost 50c)

relating to the projectile speed problem: when you are under rotgut movement speed you literally don't care. just orbit around and spam. but a second frozen trail...as i type this i'm warming to the idea.

two frozen trails with a 1% mana reservation reduction corruption match the reservation reduction from conquerer's efficiency.

i was never in love with that gem.

been rocking this build and my atlas is getting up to red maps finally. it has amazing and satisfying clear speed, is plenty tanky with the block chance (i'm doing it with 7k ES right now), and has plenty of room to grow.

edit: WOAH. two frozen trail w/ 1% mana res corruptions is the way to go. this spits out 5 frostbolts that go about as fast as i do w/o a flask using 25% boots. you don't have to have the intel allocated btw.
Last edited by saeka_tyr on Sep 22, 2020, 9:06:51 AM
"
carstenh wrote:
"
leafyr0kr wrote:

These are very helpful suggestions for improving the quality of life of this build. Giving a big thumbs up here!

+1 also for the Wand attack speed. Didn't think about that simple but logic mechanic lol.

Any thoughts about using a Frostbite-on-hit ring and therefor use some more Utility gems linked with Frenzy like Blind, Culling Strike or even Fortify? The gem description of Frenzy says it is a melee gem.
Also think about Elder gloves which can hold faster attack, blind, projectiles and what not.

The Fortify tip doesn't work, because it procs on melee hit, not on a melee tag skill. But the on-hit mechanics... Blind would be nice. Culling Strike, too. We can look into some funky interactions with projectiles, now that we get so many Frostbolt and Frenzy projectiles with 2 Frozen Trails + GMP.

"
Kazh wrote:

I had the same issue with the low Attack Speed feeling terribly clunky, then I realized I was using a 1.2 base attack speed wand. Switched to a 1.5 and instantly felt waaay better, make sure you're using a 1.5.

Double First Snow seems interesting, I'll admit I'd like it if my Frostbolts were faster. I even considered using a faster projectiles support at some point.

The sad thing about not getting Profane Bloom is Frostbite mostly helps with bossing, and so many bosses are hexproof. Awakened Hextouch removes this issue though.

Yeah, the attack speed on the wand is the real deal. Could easily ditch Faster Attacks support for a GMP (faster Frenzy Charge generation) after getting a 1.5 wand. That + the Rotgut tip from above = gold.

Also got EO + a Trigger wand. Using a Frost Bomb (cold exposure) - Storm Brand (for EE) + Tempest Shield (for Spell Block/Block) setup. Tried funkier skills, like Frost Shield or Void Sphere, but they're kinda whatever.
Hello

Kind of stuck here, I mean can't fully understand how to trigger spells. Only way to trigger spells is to get a wand which triggers them? Or is there any other way?

can someone recommend a cheap set of flask for levelling?
"
aka2411 wrote:
can someone recommend a cheap set of flask for levelling?

1. life flask
2. whatever flask with freeze immunity
3. whatever flask with bleed immunity
4. quicksilver flask with increased mov. speed
5. quicksilver flask with increased mov. speed

"
Frasgol wrote:
Hello

Kind of stuck here, I mean can't fully understand how to trigger spells. Only way to trigger spells is to get a wand which triggers them? Or is there any other way?

yah, that's spellslinger. you link it with a spell + support gems to reserve some mana to automatically cast said spell whenever you attack with your wand.
thanks for the reply for flasks. Going strong for gear, still missing the bloody trigger craft and starting to save for tranquility.

Then someone mentioned awakened hextouch... sigh more to go.

currently running rumis/sulpher/quicksilver/quartz/stib. Need (even more) cash for the unique flasks mentioned before
"
leafyr0kr wrote:
"
The14thNoah wrote:
Hey, a quick question. Why do you keep Frenzy and GMP at level 1?

Leveling those gives nothing to the build. We're not using the damage from the Frenzy projectile, so leveling it up is pointless (same thing with GMP). You'll just inflate the dex requirement.

But Hypothermia and Swift Affliction also require Dex....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info