[3.14] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | Endgame | SSF | CI/LL | Max Block

Nice build. I played a self cast version of vortex + creeping frost last league, think I might try this one now.

One question. Why you take the Wandslinger node? I can't seem to understand how it fits the rest of the build.
It's a blast playing this built from start to finish. A question , why didn't you take Finger of Frost?
"
Jarambae wrote:
It's a blast playing this built from start to finish. A question , why didn't you take Finger of Frost?


My guess would be that it's a low-priority node, and as the tree is lvl 85 you're free to fill it however you want with your last 15 skill points
"
Pyroroth wrote:
Why do you say to take ball lightning, but never make any mention of when/where to actually use it?


Original leveling section had swapping out one of the supports in Arc for Ball Lightning to have Arc + Ball Lightning + Added Lightning Damage + Controlled Destruction. After playtesting through it with this league, you don't need the damage of ball lightning at all- everything melts with just Arc + Wave of Conviction.

"
Aelandar wrote:
Nice build. I played a self cast version of vortex + creeping frost last league, think I might try this one now.

One question. Why you take the Wandslinger node? I can't seem to understand how it fits the rest of the build.


The Wandslinger node doesn't do anything special in this build aside from give you some quality of life with % attack speed and good % damage nodes. It is especially good early on, as its one of the few damage nodes you pick up before you get Spellslinger in Act 3. If you don't need the % attack speed, you can drop these nodes and go for a jewel socket or Fingers of Frost (if you go to level 87)

"
Kazh wrote:
"
Jarambae wrote:
It's a blast playing this built from start to finish. A question , why didn't you take Finger of Frost?


My guess would be that it's a low-priority node, and as the tree is lvl 85 you're free to fill it however you want with your last 15 skill points


Exactly what Kazh said. I typically try to keep my builds at level 85 when I plan them out, so the build is pretty optimized for that level. If you plan on going beyond level 85, I would suggest expect you to be swapping to low-life which requires a slightly modified tree anyways. However, if you plan to stay CI the entire time and just use this build as a method to get into red maps/Sirus, then I'd suggest refunding the 3 points to Wandslinger and putting 5 points into getting Fingers of Frost when you hit level 87.
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
Does anyone played this on Ps4?
How do you setup the controls/skills?
"
Clydehart wrote:
Exactly what Kazh said. I typically try to keep my builds at level 85 when I plan them out, so the build is pretty optimized for that level. If you plan on going beyond level 85, I would suggest expect you to be swapping to low-life which requires a slightly modified tree anyways. However, if you plan to stay CI the entire time and just use this build as a method to get into red maps/Sirus, then I'd suggest refunding the 3 points to Wandslinger and putting 5 points into getting Fingers of Frost when you hit level 87.


I see, thank you so much for the explanation. Your guide is excellent although some parts were hard to understand. I really appreciate you having to write all of this. Still having fun grinding maps with it!

Edit: Looking forward for your future guides!
Last edited by Jarambae on Sep 20, 2020, 10:33:10 AM
I enjoy playing this build in heist league as a starting one. Now I'm at low/mid tier maps, absolutely crushing everything around using trash gear (1c worth each). Decided to post it, maybe someone will find it useful:
Spoiler




Thanks a lot for this build!
Thank you so much for the guide!

I have hit a snag, however. I just got to A8 and switched to CI as the build recommends. However, I am level 54 and don't physically have enough mana to be able to run Discipline + 2 Spellslingers. Without Discipline, I have just over 1000 ES and I die... a lot. Would your suggestion be to switch back to life, or do I have to suck it up and buy more gear? I feel like at this level, I am unable to get any decent ES gear. How much ES should I be shooting for around level 55 to have a smooth levelling experience?

I don't think I've ever had to consider buying this much gear at this level with other builds, so I'm going to imagine that your answer is going to be to run without CI until I grab a few more levels? What level should I be switching to CI around?

It's been very smooth up until this point... until I took CI. I tend to rush through the acts pretty quickly and I feel like your levelling guide presumes I'm a higher level by A8? :P

Not a criticism of the build at all, as it looks great, I'm just wondering what you recommend at this stage in the levelling process. Perhaps in the A8 section of the levelling guide you could include some information about what sort of ES you should have before switching to CI?
Last edited by jnskeh on Sep 20, 2020, 7:51:54 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm enjoying this build. Using it as a league starter, and I'm only at level 77 at present but it's been smooth sailing. Map clearing is fast, beat Uberlab on the first try without any issues, works well in Delving, and I've only had to spend less than 20c.

I've played a Vortex Occultist a long, long time ago but that was before the Trigger a Gem enchant and of course Spellslinger. It's almost silly how many skills can be cast with two buttons these days, when in my day we had to self-cast Vortex uphill, in the snow.

I didn't switch to CI until just before Kitava. The sewers at the start of Act 8 weren't a problem, just have to keep moving and killing quickly. I'd definitely recommend folks wait a bit to transition unless they want to spend on ES gear (I hate to spend any currency on any gear before maps, though, since it will be quickly replaced and doesn't hold it's value at the start of the league).
"
jnskeh wrote:
Thank you so much for the guide!

I have hit a snag, however. I just got to A8 and switched to CI as the build recommends. However, I am level 54 and don't physically have enough mana to be able to run Discipline + 2 Spellslingers. Without Discipline, I have just over 1000 ES and I die... a lot. Would your suggestion be to switch back to life, or do I have to suck it up and buy more gear? I feel like at this level, I am unable to get any decent ES gear. How much ES should I be shooting for around level 55 to have a smooth levelling experience?

I don't think I've ever had to consider buying this much gear at this level with other builds, so I'm going to imagine that your answer is going to be to run without CI until I grab a few more levels? What level should I be switching to CI around?

It's been very smooth up until this point... until I took CI. I tend to rush through the acts pretty quickly and I feel like your levelling guide presumes I'm a higher level by A8? :P

Not a criticism of the build at all, as it looks great, I'm just wondering what you recommend at this stage in the levelling process. Perhaps in the A8 section of the levelling guide you could include some information about what sort of ES you should have before switching to CI?


The build assumes you're about level ~59 by this point, so that might be one of the reasons why. Definitely don't invest in any gear, just use what you pick up. I had about ~2.5k ES by the time I hit A8. As you already said, I'd recommend you to take off CI, but you'll have to be cautious about chaos damage at this point. As a method of mitigating the chaos damage, you should use Vitality, which should give you about ~130 life regen and mitigate most of the chaos DoT (which is what kills you in A8 sewers).

I'd shoot for around 3k ES (with discipline) minimum before swapping to CI. Most people recommend to have at least 4K ES before swapping- but I'm fairly cautious and 3K ES works fine for me.

I appreciate the suggestion, I'll definitely add some more detail to the A8 section about when to take CI or to start using vitality. I might even recommend not swapping to CI until A10 and just using a vitality aura to mitigate the majority of chaos DoT found between A8-A9.
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
Last edited by Clydehart on Sep 20, 2020, 8:21:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info