About the Code of Conduct... Discuss!

This thread is for discussing our off-topic thoughts on the Code of Conduct.

I remember, back in 2016, the Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump threads on OT. I bet the mods do, too (if they remain?).

But now, post-10c, the Code of Conduct has been updated.

Sadly, as a consequence, such "epic" threads would no longer be viable. This is especially lamentable, given that 2020 is the General Election for the United States Presidency.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you miss threads like that, or do you think this change is for the better?

HF
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Last bumped on Sep 17, 2020, 10:08:32 PM
When GGG had a smaller staff, it was not because they were less strict but testing the waters. Much of the forum designs even that "report," button didn’t exist. They worked very hard during that time, imagine working and moderating till 5 am in the morning. It’s mentally fucking exhausting...

Its common knowledge politics and religion are "trigger," topics... I think the rules are fine and there have been topics on religion and politics. Every moderator is different, they are human... They’re not fucking robots. Some would be stricter than others and others would let shit slide... So it’s more of keeping consistency.

Oh let’s let’s not forget our wonderful volunteers... ^.^

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Mar 12, 2020, 2:28:55 PM
The All Hail President Trump! thread, though locked, is still available to view:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2031510/page/1

It is interesting to review and to see where specific subjects of discussion from several years back have ended up.

As for the CoC, enforcement has been less than vigorous, where needlessly negative and antagonistic posts are concerned, both here in OT, and in GD. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
It is interesting to review and to see where specific subjects of discussion from several years back have ended up.

Hear, hear!

Would I be wrong to presume you'd be in favor of threads like those being allowed again?
"
bwam wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Hear, hear!

Would I be wrong to presume you'd be in favor of threads like those being allowed again?

I didn't think they really hurt anyone. Most of those who participated knew the game well enough, and short of a coupla butt-hurt snowflakes, nobody bothered to report any posts there, to my knowledge. A brief perusal of the thread I linked above can be informative and revelatory; I'm in the process of reviewing it, myself. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
I didn't think they really hurt anyone. Most of those who participated knew the game well enough, and short of a coupla butt-hurt snowflakes, nobody bothered to report any posts there, to my knowledge. A brief perusal of the thread I linked above can be informative and revelatory; I'm in the process of reviewing it, myself. =^[.]^=

I never saw much value in that particular thread, TBH. I think I exclusively ignored it after checking it once or twice. Looking now, it seems my initial assessment was a good one.

Do you think we could petition to get this removed from the Code of Conduct? The no "inflammatory topics" rule? Or do you think it comes from above NZ HQ?
"
bwam wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

I never saw much value in that particular thread, TBH. I think I exclusively ignored it after checking it once or twice. Looking now, it seems my initial assessment was a good one.

Do you think we could petition to get this removed from the Code of Conduct? The no "inflammatory topics" rule? Or do you think it comes from above NZ HQ?

"One man's trash is another man's treasure..."

Really, I just think GGG is doing the ol' CYA. If they officially discourage certain behaviors and discussion topics, they can plausibly deny any responsibility for breaches of those policies. I can't really blame them, as there's no way to know when something potentially embarrassing might blow up on their forum. ='[.]'=
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"One man's trash is another man's treasure..."

Wah-haha, yes. Like that Sasha Cohen film, "Borat." I couldn't watch past the introduction of that film. (As a side note, his Netflix special, "The Spy," was outstanding. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it and have Netflix.)

"
Raycheetah wrote:
Really, I just think GGG is doing the ol' CYA.

"
Raycheetah wrote:
If they officially discourage certain behaviors and discussion topics, they can plausibly deny any responsibility for breaches of those policies. I can't really blame them, as there's no way to know when something potentially embarrassing might blow up on their forum. ='[.]'=

I don't know how something "blow[ing] up" would be detrimental for their product or their company. But 10c might not like it bc of Beijing, right? But GGG hasn't officially said. :P
"
bwam wrote:

I don't know how something "blow[ing] up" would be detrimental for their product or their company. But 10c might not like it bc of Beijing, right? But GGG hasn't officially said. :P

Well, short of pr0n or other legally actionable posts, actual "hate speech" (however that may be defined) can be problematic for GGG, Tencent or no. People are being jailed in some countries for publicly stating their personal opinions; should such opinions show up on the PoE forum, if those countries should catch wind, it might cramp GGG's business in those countries. ='[.]'=
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Well, short of pr0n or other legally actionable posts, actual "hate speech" (however that may be defined) can be problematic for GGG, Tencent or no. People are being jailed in some countries for publicly stating their personal opinions; should such opinions show up on the PoE forum, if those countries should catch wind, it might cramp GGG's business in those countries. ='[.]'=

So then basically discussion of the Colbert Show should be banned, then?

I mean, think about all the negative things Stephen Colbert says about Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong Un! They might not take so kindly to naysaying among players on the PoE forums!

Could negatively impact the availability of the product in those places.

And Iran? I mean, pfsh. What do sanctions mean to us? We're just a bunch of gaming developers and company members, what has that to do with us?

So yeah, let's pursue good PR on our forums for Iran, because we want to protect our business there!

Yeah! So don't say ANYTHING bad about *snaps his fingers* ... What's his name again? ... *Shakes his head* I only know Saudi Arabia has MBS, sorry. ... But yeah, don't say anything bad about Supreme Leader Khamenei or whatever.

Because we wouldn't want IRAN or NORTH KOREA to have problems with what the players of Path of Exile 2 -- let alone the company -- are saying on international forums.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info