Wuhan China Coronavirus.

I have to go to Hong Kong in a few weeks. Unless something changes before I come back, I have a nice 14 day quarantine to look forward to on my return to Taiwan. Yay...
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
I have to go to Hong Kong in a few weeks

I mean I dont presume to be able to tell you what to do, but this seems like an unreasonable request if it's for work, and too risky if its just a personal trip.

A delay wouldnt...kill you...would it? Lol I will see myself out.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

I mean I dont presume to be able to tell you what to do, but this seems like an unreasonable request if it's for work, and too risky if its just a personal trip.

It's personal business but important, and putting it off would be highly problematic. I'm not overly concerned though.

My main hope is that my quarantine in Taiwan will remain a self-quarantine as they're requiring now of travelers coming from Hong Kong. A restrictive quarantine at an undisclosed location as they're requiring of travelers who've been anywhere in Hubei and a couple other areas would be...not great.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

It's personal business but important, and putting it off would be highly problematic. I'm not overly concerned though.

My main hope is that my quarantine in Taiwan will remain a self-quarantine as they're requiring now of travelers coming from Hong Kong. A restrictive quarantine at an undisclosed location as they're requiring of travelers who've been anywhere in Hubei and a couple other areas would be...not great.

Yea 2 weeks...certainly not ideal. Especially in a fluid situation. I mean what if they make it 20 days or more in the near future, or as you suggested, a centralized quarantine.

Again its risk management and if the trip is unavoidable, so be it.

Good luck man, I'd be stressed.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
One of my wife's students went to Huanggang, in Hubei, on some kind of group trip with other students in mid-January. Before shit really started to hit the fan. They came back to Taiwan last week and were immediately whisked away from the plane to an undisclosed location for quarantine.

She's 12, but her own family doesn't know where she is heh. She's able to keep contact with the outside world, but she can't tell anyone where she is...because even she doesn't know. They aren't being treated harshly or anything though. Taiwanese authorities just aren't making it known where people are being taken for quarantine, so as to prevent panic in the community, harassment, etc.

From what she's told my wife, they were given iPads with some games and other apps, and TV with Netflix and whatnot. There are also no confirmed cases of the virus wherever it is she's being kept, so if all goes well they'll be home around the end of next week.

Sounds not too bad for a bunch of 12-13 yr olds. But at 45...fuck me if that happens lol.

Unlike a number of areas in the mainland, the situation in HK isn't too bad at the moment though, so I'm not particularly concerned about the trip itself unless things there suddenly take a drastic turn for the worse. There are indeed some local virus cases and a lot of fear and panic. But a lot of that is largely due to incompetence on the government's part, misinformation, and unresolved trauma from SARS (which definitely was a big deal in HK).
Well China just casually drops confirmation of 15,000 more cases, and an "adjustment" to how they are counnot. (Lol)

Not stuff that inspires much confidence.

I'm still not buying the notion of a global plague that kills millions, but this incident surely casts some doubt on our preparation and globally combating a really nasty virus with a higher fatality rate and r naught.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Feb 13, 2020, 11:33:44 AM
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 11:58:28 PM
I did read an article that test kits (nucleic acid) use to actually diagnose correctly are in very short supply and expensive.

They are only using them in the most severe cases (so they can be treated), but likely sending others to home care that are indeed infecting others.

It's a mess to be sure. But again, at least it isnt a death sentence, and most live through it.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 11:58:30 PM
10% of the worlds population (760 million) are now quarantined in china, anyone still want to say this is less severe than the flu?
In my opinion anyone not prepping is living in denial and putting themselves in danger.
Not saying panic saying prepare, prepare now.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info