Arctic Armour

What support gems actually work with this spell? Does anything actually affect this spell?
IGN: Iolar
inc duration, inc AoE
only changes the ground ice
"
Vipermagi wrote:

That... Is really not any different, if you ask me. You lose resources over time.
"Drain 10 Mana over 5 seconds" -> you lose 2 Mana per second.
"10 Mana Degeneration for 5 seconds" -> you lose 2 Mana per second.
They're different words for the same thing. They're only different if you choose to say they are different. GGG has not done so.

Wow, sorry but this is really clueless. This is like saying that physical, elemental and chaos damage are the same mechanic because you lose health. You might as well call them "negative health regeneration". Sorry but this is really dumb.

As far as mana is concerned, one mechanic modifies your mana regeneration rate, the other removes mana from your mana pool. It doesn't get any clearer than this.

"
It changes Spells, Attacks, the likes. It does not change Buffs.
Buffs are applied by Skills, including Auras and Spells. However, they are separate from the Spell.

Buffs are spells. Saying that the buff descriptions "don't mean shit" only makes you sound like a dumb spoiled kid. I'd rather believe the game's developers, thank you very much. GGG has said so: read the tooltip.

"
The drain/degeneration is part of the Buff, not the Spell Activation. It's not a Cost, not a Reserve.

It is a cost, that's where you are wrong. It is explicitly mentioned in the description and no amount of denial and calling it "shit" is going to change that:

"It drains your mana while active"

Furthermore, according to the wiki, it has fixed mana costs per level, again explicitly mentioned as mana cost, not a regeneration modifier. and therefore (should be) subject to Blood Magic. I know that the wiki is not an official source but these guys - unlike you - know the game mechanics inside out, with data mining and whatnot. In any case, the developers are free to correct me.
you're reading into it too hard, the game (and coding) is overly literal 90% of the time and this isn't the 10% left over. the degeneration isn't a cost. "cost" is a liberty of understanding, not a mechanic of cost.
"I know that the wiki is not an official source but these guys - unlike you - know the game mechanics inside out"
This is funny.

That's all I'm going to say on it further. You obviously just don't want to believe what I'm saying, so, yeah. Rather not waste my time on this :) /superioritycomplex
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 18, 2013, 2:00:47 PM
Okay, this thread is quickly devolving into argument, so I'm just going to try to clear this all up at once.
Please don't take this as an attack, I'm just trying to clear up allt he confusion and argument on this point as directly as possible.
"
Devilator wrote:
As far as mana is concerned, one mechanic modifies your mana regeneration rate, the other removes mana from your mana pool. It doesn't get any clearer than this.
"Mana drain" and "mana degeneration" are fundamentally the same thing. Neither is a mana cost, and they fundamentally cannot be, because they do not function as costs - a cost is something you must pay in order to use a skill. An over-time cost doesn't make sense because you would use the skill before it was paid.

Degeneration and drain are two words meaning the same thing - you lose mana over time. It is the reverse/opposite of mana regeneration, but it is not a negative value of mana regeneration - regeneration is explicitly regeneration, and cannot be negative. A negative value of your mana regeneration is invalid, not degeneration.

So far as I can tell, you've said:
"
Devilator wrote:
Drain effects a mana cost directly on your mana pool, so Blood Magic can work with it just like every other skill
and then based your arguments on this definition of the word "drain", which only came from your own post. This doesn't mean that the term "drain" used in the game has to somehow count as a cost. There's nothing about the term "drain" that makes it a cost. The word "drain" implies that something is depleted or lost over time, the word itself has no implications of being a 'cost' to do something.

I am unsure where you got the impression that using the word drain must mean something is a cost, and would be interested if you could explain this.

"
Devilator wrote:
It is a cost, that's where you are wrong. It is explicitly mentioned in the description and no amount of denial and calling it "shit" is going to change that:

"It drains your mana while active"
You just claimed that it explicitly says it's a cost, and then quoted it explicitly not saying that. It says it drains your mana. It does so. It does not say that this counts as a cost, and it does not.

"
Devilator wrote:
Furthermore, according to the wiki, it has fixed mana costs per level, again explicitly mentioned as mana cost, not a regeneration modifier. and therefore (should be) subject to Blood Magic.
It's not a regen modifier, as already explained - degen and regen are different values. But that doesn't make it a cost, and you should take everything said on the wiki with a grain of salt, as it is quite frequently wrong on the details.
"
Devilator wrote:
I know that the wiki is not an official source but these guys - unlike you - know the game mechanics inside out
Personally, I've seen far more mistakes on the wiki than in Vipermagi's posts, and I think on any given subject, he's more likely to be correct (although he is certainly not infallible).
"
Devilator wrote:
In any case, the developers are free to correct me.
I hope this post clears up any confusion on the subject, but if not, please let me know.
So the explanation i gave in another thread was right?

"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
This skill has one very specific use. Why should blood magic builds not have access to it?

In the mechanics of the skill is written that it needs mana. You can pay the mana cost with bloodmagic, but to function it would still need mana. Since you don't have mana when you pick the BM node it wouldn't function anymore.

Spoiler
You can use it with the support BM gem but it would still use mana after the activation.
Edit: i am not sure about this last part since i never tried it. I said it because that's how i interpret the mechanics.

because this is what i got in response...

"
MrSpaviel wrote:

That is a pretty idiotic explanation. The main reason that comes to mind, in a logical way, is that people don't understand the value of the cost and they can't kill themselves rather fast by running and not paying attention.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
This skill looks like it's designed to go with an aura-stacking tank build (needs big mana anyway, and is tough enough to stand still for a while and take punishment), or to be used in short bursts by high-mana characters who are more inclined to kite their enemies.

How does it interact with Armour and resists? If a monster does 100 damage and your Arctic Armour takes off 20, is the mundane Armour calculation going to be based on a 100 damage hit or an 80 damage hit?
"
Incompetent wrote:
This skill looks like it's designed to go with an aura-stacking tank build (needs big mana anyway, and is tough enough to stand still for a while and take punishment), or to be used in short bursts by high-mana characters who are more inclined to kite their enemies.

How does it interact with Armour and resists? If a monster does 100 damage and your Arctic Armour takes off 20, is the mundane Armour calculation going to be based on a 100 damage hit or an 80 damage hit?
flat reductions happen after resistances, as stated a few pages ago.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
flat reductions happen after resistances, as stated a few pages ago.

Oops, didn't read carefully enough before. Thanks!

So yes, looks like this could be great for eliminating those last few points of damage on a heavy Armour build. It won't help that much against bosses, but coupled with a strong Armour game (including Endurance charges), you can become completely immune to weak physical hits, which is not really possible otherwise (since the normal methods of mitigation cap at 90%). The mana drain has to be high to stop this being a giant freebie for everyone who runs Grace + Determination + Iron Reflexes.

For everyone else it's situational, but a quick toggle to take greatly reduced damage against Tentacled Miscreations and Voidbearers, or to greatly reduce reflected damage on certain player attacks/spells with a high rate of fire (e.g. Incinerate, Firestorm, Ethereal Knives...) is not to be sniffed at. You can always swap the gem out for something else in areas/Maps where you don't find it so useful.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info