Arctic Armour

"
jonts26 wrote:
"
anomolies wrote:
Question to grinding gear games regarding pvp... with the flat reduction, this makes someone with really high DPS incinerate (2k-3k, which is like 100-200 fire damage per hit), do almost no damage to someone using arctic armour

How do you plan to balance this?

Why does it need new balancing? Lots of things counter others really well. For instance, Unwavering stance destroys anyone based on stuns, CI builds destroy viper strike, etc.

And if you PVP you should have ways to counter your counters.

countering and nullifying are two completely different things.

this is the exact type of thing that is considered a balance issue..
Ok, work with me here...

It is my understanding that, the way high damage works, that a hit of sufficiently high damage will ignore armour damage reduction - hence why we have issues with 1-hit kills at high levels in melee. (if I'm wrong on this, you can ignore the rest of this post)

Arctic Armour does not add an armor bonus, though. It's a flat -damage taken. Does this mean that the reduction from AA is not bypassed by high-damage hits?
Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
Last edited by WippitGuud on Mar 23, 2013, 8:32:49 PM
"
Drahken wrote:
"
jonts26 wrote:
"
anomolies wrote:
Question to grinding gear games regarding pvp... with the flat reduction, this makes someone with really high DPS incinerate (2k-3k, which is like 100-200 fire damage per hit), do almost no damage to someone using arctic armour

How do you plan to balance this?

Why does it need new balancing? Lots of things counter others really well. For instance, Unwavering stance destroys anyone based on stuns, CI builds destroy viper strike, etc.

And if you PVP you should have ways to counter your counters.

countering and nullifying are two completely different things.

this is the exact type of thing that is considered a balance issue..

I probably wouldnt say its a complete nullification. With flammability you're still probably going to get some damage through. But really a properly specced incinerate probably has at least one of added lightning/cold/chaos which can still do damage.

I'm still not sure I see it as a problem. If you build an incinerate PvP you have to do so knowing that there is one extremely hard counter to your build and work around it. It adds a lot to the metagame.
"
WippitGuud wrote:
Ok, work with me here...

It is my understanding that, the way high damage works, that a hit of sufficiently high damage will ignore armour damage reduction - hence why we have issues with 1-hit kills at high levels in melee. (if I'm wrong on this, you can ignore the rest of this post)

Arctic Armour does not add an armor bonus, though. It's a flat -damage taken. Does this mean that the reduction from AA is not bypassed by high-damage hits?

Armor still works against harder hits. It's just less effective. Actually, the total amount of damage mitigated for a hard hit is more than a softer hit given some amount of armor. It's just the %reduction is less. For example, if you have 2000 armor, a 500 damage hit will only hit for 375, a 125 damage reduction. A 2000 damage hit will hit for 1846 a 153 damage reduction.

Arctic armor will just reduce a flat amount of damage regardless of damage of the hit (down to 0). But like armor, it's still going to be more effective on smaller hits than bigger ones.
The mana costs for on the move need to be toned down heavily. In fact it doesn't make sense that up to lvl 9 you end up paying more and more mana for a single amount of damage reduction (teh ratio goes up). For stationary users the ratio only improves meaning per point of dmg reduced you pay less and less mana.

There could be some nice viable melee options using this skill, but only if this issue is addressed. I'm trying to make a build around this + cyclone (probably will be cleave, two insane mana cost skills). Right now though it simply does not pay off to invest towards this and skipping on other survival nodes... like well... the HP nodes. Since HP scales with all (ele resist, regen, stun duration, status ailment duration, phys dmg) etc. Grabbing a ton of strong mana nodes, mana leech and EB. Tying that all down with what should make an insane hit count cyclone (which seems to not work as described).

If you want to have build diversity you got to fix the mana requirements for the move. It can be still be a hefty price but at lvl 9/10 only +5 for that penalty and not around +10 per lvl. even this might not even do it.
"
Ozgwald wrote:
The mana costs for on the move need to be toned down heavily. In fact it doesn't make sense that up to lvl 9 you end up paying more and more mana for a single amount of damage reduction (teh ratio goes up). For stationary users the ratio only improves meaning per point of dmg reduced you pay less and less mana.

There could be some nice viable melee options using this skill, but only if this issue is addressed. I'm trying to make a build around this + cyclone (probably will be cleave, two insane mana cost skills). Right now though it simply does not pay off to invest towards this and skipping on other survival nodes... like well... the HP nodes. Since HP scales with all (ele resist, regen, stun duration, status ailment duration, phys dmg) etc. Grabbing a ton of strong mana nodes, mana leech and EB. Tying that all down with what should make an insane hit count cyclone (which seems to not work as described).

If you want to have build diversity you got to fix the mana requirements for the move. It can be still be a hefty price but at lvl 9/10 only +5 for that penalty and not around +10 per lvl. even this might not even do it.

without the penalty this skill would be in every build in the game.
It's a nice skill, I like it, BUT...

1 - Cost is WAY too high once you start leveling it.
2 - It shuts off whenever you enter a new area (not that bad, but it's annoying)

I use mine at level 1, and get nearly all the benefits (Chilled Enemies, Faster Move) without paying nearly as much. If it added something good for the cost, sure, but it doesn't, at all. Especially with the cost for moving.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
I think the mana cost is ok as is. I see this build being used in three different ways:

1. Move Speed + Chill - keep the gem at lvl 1 for a permanent boost to move speed ground chill to help with kiting.

2. Situation Defensive boost - Level the gem, but only use it situationally. Pop it on if you get surrounded and use it to help tank or to GTFO.

3. Permanently on - Requires a very niche build (EB mostly) to be able to have always on (but it is possible).
"
Drahken wrote:
"
Ozgwald wrote:

without the penalty this skill would be in every build in the game.

I did not say to remove it, but it needs to be toned down.
I'm sacrificing a lot of life to work a build out with this (EB + 58%inc max mana + 124 int +40%regen from passives).

If you get a certain amount of mana etc. invested and much of it wasted on 1 skill you expect some amount of return. The amount of return for the mana cost for a pure mobile build is off. So it is worth a lot more to just grab more life nodes and ignore this skill... like every other melee build (HP life flavor).

The accessibility of the mobile part opens for build diversity. The difference between 167.7 mana per sec and 202.7 mana per sec at lvl 17 doesn't rly open up the skill for everyone. It is quite hard to get to lvl 10 and up to lvl 10 (117 mana per sec) no changes were suggested by me.

If you invest a lot this skill should pay off and be useful otherwise it is just a nonsensical skill that should read: "spell users only."
well with slight investment in mana regen and max mana with no gear specificness, mana regen will end up being between the two degen values most of the time. i took a lv 61 as test example, 60% max mana (6 nodes) and 150% mna regen (30% from ammy + 4 nodes) and lv 16 clarity with inner force, result regen about 88/sec, without EB.
could do without the clarity but it'll be pretty close to the lower degen number than in middle. edit: actually it seems to be roughly the same number...
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 24, 2013, 12:03:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info