[3.9] CoC Volatile Dead Assassin - 1M+ Per Ball Explosion - All Content Easy

"
iRa38 wrote:
"
CrowMagnum wrote:
"

and a natural life roll to craft cannot be frozen. Gonna be hard to give up these pierce boots though. Pierce really changes the feel of the VD casts. Even just +2 targets makes it feel a lot more aggressive, and together with Piercing Shots for +4, it shreds through large packs and distributes the VD casts more evenly through the depth of the pack. Definitely something worth playing around with for comfort.

Really nice gear you got there! Glad you're enjoying the build :)

Interesting thing you said about the pierce, I didn't think about that but it's really interesting. Could you maybe make a video so that I can see the interaction? :)

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but according to wiki and other sources Pierce nor other projectile supports shouldn't affect VD at all.

"Despite their appearance, the orbs created by Volatile Dead are not projectiles. Thus, effects that normally affect projectiles (such as Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support ) do not have an effect on Volatile Dead."

Video indeed would be nice, as if they really do pierce more targets it would be pretty awesome for clear in juiced up maps.

Anyways, I will test it out if I find some cheap +pierce stuff. :)
Last edited by hsatan on Jan 23, 2020, 10:20:51 AM
I'm playing a lot more defensive version of this build.

Xibaqua jewel gives me a lot fire damage, fire leech, fire pen, chaos res, and elemental to chaos damage taken with 86% chaos res. Also, I'm currently at 86% chaos res maximum with 6.7k life.

My quiver imo is far better than Maloney's. More defensive, more damage, and still get frenzy charges very easily.

I make use of all 3 mods on my Watcher's Eye. My barrage costs 5 mana, can get it down 2 with perfect rolls on jewelry and watchers. The life gain on hit is actually huge sustain in combination with fire leech from the tree. Any anger/precision damage mod would do for the 3rd, but I think Fire pen is most overall damage.

I'm also using thread of hope very large ring to save quite a few points on the top the tree. And an intuitive leap on ranger socket to hit all the big nodes.

The next 2 levels I'll use to grab the 5th frenzy charge.

Overall this build is one the most fun I've played and I've been around since closed beta. The only real downside imo Physical mitagiton is kinda sketchy, but I'm not sure how to really fix that. I would love to annoint Soul of Steel, but I need the reduced reservation from Charisma to make everything work.
Last edited by Ruiner84 on Jan 23, 2020, 8:03:41 AM
is a good idea to try change the equip for ball light/arc or cold skill ?

have some good staff for change it into lightning skill my idea is to put off circle of anguish for the lightning rings and avatar of fire for crit chance/multi amulet...

Last edited by Beskaius on Jan 23, 2020, 8:49:23 AM
"
Beskaius wrote:
is a good idea to try change the equip for ball light/arc or cold skill ?

You definitely can, there are people doing both cold/lightning bow CoC on poe.ninja.
"
Ruiner84 wrote:

Xibaqua jewel gives me a lot fire damage, fire leech, fire pen, chaos res, and elemental to chaos damage taken with 86% chaos res. Also, I'm currently at 86% chaos res maximum with 6.7k life.

My quiver imo is far better than Maloney's. More defensive, more damage, and still get frenzy charges very easily.

I make use of all 3 mods on my Watcher's Eye. My barrage costs 5 mana, can get it down 2 with perfect rolls on jewelry and watchers. The life gain on hit is actually huge sustain in combination with fire leech from the tree. Any anger/precision damage mod would do for the 3rd, but I think Fire pen is most overall damage.

I'm also using thread of hope very large ring to save quite a few points on the top the tree. And an intuitive leap on ranger socket to hit all the big nodes.

Overall this build is one the most fun I've played and I've been around since closed beta. The only real downside imo Physical mitagiton is kinda sketchy, but I'm not sure how to really fix that. I would love to annoint Soul of Steel, but I need the reduced reservation from Charisma to make everything work.

Thank you for your input, it's true that your quiver with this crafted mod should result in more DPS/Survivability.
I haven't tried to mess around with the Thread Of Hope jewel but yeah it should be quite useful :)

Glad to see so many people enjoying the build and making their own iterations :D
My builds :

CoC Volatile Dead Assassin - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2742649

Vaal Spark Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2302486/page/1
"
hsatan wrote:

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but according to wiki and other sources Pierce nor other projectile supports shouldn't affect VD at all.

"Despite their appearance, the orbs created by Volatile Dead are not projectiles. Thus, effects that normally affect projectiles (such as Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support ) do not have an effect on Volatile Dead."

Video indeed would be nice, as if they really do pierce more targets it would be pretty awesome for clear in juiced up maps.

Anyways, I will test it out if I find some cheap +pierce stuff. :)

The pierce is not for the VD balls. It's for your Barrage, and more directly, your Cast on Crit itself. Without pierce, your Barrage will cause the VD body explosion at the enemies first hit/crit by your Barrage at the front of the pack. Your VD balls then cascade towards them and finish off the pack or some nearby. The pack still dies, but the first several VD balls you cast likely were immediately destroyed hitting another monster in that same pack. Visually, this happens very fast and is only noticeable when you don't already have VD balls following you, or when you're moving too fast in Delves and get hung up because monsters in the rear of the pack haven't been killed by VD balls before you started moving again.

With +2 Pierce, Barrage will pierce two targets, therefore VD will spawn both at the front and middle of the pack, as your Asenath's Desecrate is casting bodies under the entire pack of monsters anyways. This creates more distributed targets being hit with crits, and thus, more monsters are dying to the now more spread out initial VD body explosions, (mine still do 600k Shaper damage per body with lvl 83 bodies) without VD balls getting wasted by detonating trash mobs as soon as they spawn instead of flying off to hit better targets. With any pierce on Barrage, you'll notice a much large volume of VD balls being created and actually existing long enough to hit monsters outside of the initial pack they were spawned in. This gives us an easier ramp-up time from having no VD balls following us to having a full 60 out.

+4 Pierce will cause VD to spawn evenly across the entire pack. This is probably overkill but it makes packed tunnels in Delves feel a lot smoother, because you have VD casting further into the hordes and collapsing them from both sides instead of having to push through from just the front. Once you have enough balls rolling with you it doesn't matter as much, but it feels more comfortable on the initial ramp up, and in the large-spawn Azurite nodes where you can stand off to one side and pierce/crit all the enemies onscreen at once to keep the room full of VD balls.

I'll make a video at some point, but it's easier to just throw 3 points into Piercing Shots and check it out for yourself in some higher density maps/delves. You're essentially just prioritizing white/blue mobs as a means to cast more VD, rather than casting VD just to kill them, because in the end everything dies instantly for us anyways.
Last edited by CrowMagnum on Jan 23, 2020, 8:34:32 PM
"
CrowMagnum wrote:
The pierce is not for the VD balls. It's for your Barrage, and more directly, your Cast on Crit itself. Without pierce, your Barrage will cause the VD body explosion at the enemies first hit/crit by your Barrage at the front of the pack. Your VD balls then cascade towards them and finish off the pack or some nearby. The pack still dies, but the first several VD balls you cast likely were immediately destroyed hitting another monster in that same pack. Visually, this happens very fast and is only noticeable when you don't already have VD balls following you, or when you're moving too fast in Delves and get hung up because monsters in the rear of the pack haven't been killed by VD balls before you started moving again.

With +2 Pierce, Barrage will pierce two targets, therefore VD will spawn both at the front and middle of the pack, as your Asenath's Desecrate is casting bodies under the entire pack of monsters anyways. This creates more distributed targets being hit with crits, and thus, more monsters are dying to the now more spread out initial VD body explosions, (mine still do 600k Shaper damage per body with lvl 83 bodies) without VD balls getting wasted by detonating trash mobs as soon as they spawn instead of flying off to hit better targets. With any pierce on Barrage, you'll notice a much large volume of VD balls being created and actually existing long enough to hit monsters outside of the initial pack they were spawned in. This gives us an easier ramp-up time from having no VD balls following us to having a full 60 out.

+4 Pierce will cause VD to spawn evenly across the entire pack. This is probably overkill but it makes packed tunnels in Delves feel a lot smoother, because you have VD casting further into the hordes and collapsing them from both sides instead of having to push through from just the front. Once you have enough balls rolling with you it doesn't matter as much, but it feels more comfortable on the initial ramp up, and in the large-spawn Azurite nodes where you can stand off to one side and pierce/crit all the enemies onscreen at once to keep the room full of VD balls.

I'll make a video at some point, but it's easier to just throw 3 points into Piercing Shots and check it out for yourself in some higher density maps/delves. You're essentially just prioritizing white/blue mobs as a means to cast more VD, rather than casting VD just to kill them, because in the end everything dies instantly for us anyways.

That was what I understood from your first post. This interaction seems really interesting considering the fact that some balls may detonate at the same time on some white mobs and be "wasted".

If the balls are spread more evenly throughout the pack this would mean higher clear speed.

I would be really interested in seeing a video of that in some dense delve or map as I sold all my gear to reroll another character :)
My builds :

CoC Volatile Dead Assassin - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2742649

Vaal Spark Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2302486/page/1
"
iRa38 wrote:

That was what I understood from your first post. This interaction seems really interesting considering the fact that some balls may detonate at the same time on some white mobs and be "wasted".

If the balls are spread more evenly throughout the pack this would mean higher clear speed.

I would be really interested in seeing a video of that in some dense delve or map as I sold all my gear to reroll another character :)

I'll def try to get some non potato video. I just bought these to try +3 Pierce and seems pretty fine in comparison to +4:

I think +1 on boots with +2 from tree would probably be the best to aim for to make it more attainable with other good boot stats. The only thing I could possibly want right now is cooldown recovery somewhere so we can proc more VD.

Also I came close to buying your Circle of Anguish but I think I want to just reroll my Vermillion since I'm already at 1.5million shaper damage per ball. The extra life is very nice.
"
CrowMagnum wrote:

The pierce is not for the VD balls. It's for your Barrage,

Ah right! Sorry wrote too early in to morning and didn't even think of Barrage. Makes sense! :)
"
Ruiner84 wrote:

Looks solid do you have a pob I could check out?
Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info