EA Templar, or how to deal up to 350k dps.

so here's my build,
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjJ_fPAXvfIM4FE2iAASzAnHhc-0gRtfkIhpsGYUkqjbp42qdrhJpFxxxefrSZp7AGlnzkFWnhBo4rKpyqXzZ9zL460GqFHEOPDpS378n7Rku1I-53e8O8i_nUlRJXz-nCNgkNsU22PFs7FWIG--Fl4UqjRVQ2t0GDgPG_Qtj_SWtCfaGYFYEYVJgiCi1705AoAUtYEt673TtMgkfApwth2UdFJitBAeXlVJTPV-PRtDQm6Fnve5vXca1BA==

it uses 95 points, done at 75, and is very similar to the OP's build, main change is a different exit from the templar starting area.

i'm 45 now, been running this since about 32 at which point i hit BM and could actually use EA, and i find the killing power is extraordinary, but only when you ignite (i do not have EE yet, or a windscream, so i'm just using flammability, i also do not shock yet). i'm planning on having a good amount of elemental damage from rings/amulet/quiver and hopefully thunderfists if i can get my hands on em, so i'm trying a slightly different take on the same build.

basically, my setup goal is this: EA one target 2-5x, curse flammability, lightning arrow (weapon ele, LGOH, added lit) til it explodes, detonate dead til clear, rinse repeat. my detonate dead is lv1 but high quality so it casts very fast, and is linked with fire pen, iron will and increased aoe, so it works very well even if the enemies have EE's fire resistance proc on them (which they will if they survive the EA bomb), and since i have a lot of strength iron will pumps it up to around 1/3rd mob HP on explosion, which is pretty big depending on what mob you're blowing up.

in all honesty i have no issues with the survivability, i'm not using ele proliferation yet but when i get one and get a 5L it'll drastically increase the survivability, since the burn proliferates from corpses to new nearby monsters, so that'll keep you pretty safe while its up. also, lightning arrow at almost 5 attacks per second with life gain on hit heals very well, i have a backup split arrow i'm levelling incase i choose to swap from using LA to add shocks instead of the EA. i realize LA won't proliferate its shocks, and it doesn't do a lot of damage so as i level, without superb lightning damage gear it probably won't work, but thats okay. the build already does stupendous damage without shocks at all, and i don't even have ele equilibrium yet, i might end up removing the shock portion of the build entirely and just running EE+split arrow/chain/lgoh/faster for healing after firing EA. i'm not really sure that this build even needs the shock, obviously you want it if you're going for absolute maximum dps, but i usually play solo, and i have no trouble killing bosses solo in a single 3 second burn.

all in all, amazingly fun build, just wish windscream had higher mspd, i almost don't want to get them just because i'd lose 20% mspd from my current boots, and mspd is king.

EDIT: replying to myself, basically i haven't found a use for detonate dead when using ele equilibrium as i'd have to LA after every one to reset the EE and use it again. it has its uses but it is very, very situational, and i don't think its really worth the slots in my gear so i'll be dropping it.

also i'm definitely gonna grab the static blows pair and put added lit onto my explosive arrow, the shocks will massively improve the burning damage as well as detonate dead (or would if i chose to continue using it, i dunno, maybe), and the damage i'm doing now isn't really cutting it, i think its because i only have a 4L so my setup is ele prolif, chance to ignite and inc burning. i really, REALLY want to put added lit in, but these gems are all pretty much required and i don't have a 5L, yet. gonna try to nab one now.

this build is easily the most fun thing i've played in PoE thus far, it moves fast, it kills fast, its extremely dangerous and rewarding and requires constant focus and attention, unlike (for me, anyway) every other build i've used in my year or so of play.
Last edited by xenogfan43 on Jun 21, 2013, 7:34:49 PM
Hi, how about using the increased burning damage support gem linked to the main EA. It seems like a good ideea, even better than elemental proliferation?

I didn't saw any comment on that. Does it even work?

And how about the burning damage. After EA explodes, isn't EE qiving instantly +25% that affects burning damage? Or the +25% applies after burning, beeing considered as the same hit?
Last edited by m3s5 on Jun 24, 2013, 5:46:23 AM
with minnion totem you would never die except from reflect.. so this build is indeed op..
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
"
m3s5 wrote:
Hi, how about using the increased burning damage support gem linked to the main EA. It seems like a good ideea, even better than elemental proliferation?

I didn't saw any comment on that. Does it even work?

And how about the burning damage. After EA explodes, isn't EE qiving instantly +25% that affects burning damage? Or the +25% applies after burning, beeing considered as the same hit?

it is.

the best way to run this is to use EA, burning damage, chance to ignite and proliferation, preferably with faster attacks and/or increased aoe for groups(conc for single), you can't really do this effectively without at least a 4L, but i'd highly recommend a 5L, faster attacks makes everything better.

after you ignite and burn a bunch of now 3shocked enemies the 25% fire resist can be easily negated by a quick lightning arrow/split with a non-fire element (i use lit arrow and chain as it hits more than split and is more reliable) and they'll basically lose 75% fire resist, the only time i ever do this though is on bosses because nothing else lives more than a second so its basically a waste of time.

and yes its 'after' burning. the hit itself is with the -50FR from ele equilibrium, the burn damage is calculated, the enemy is ignited and then their fire resistance changes from -50FR to +25% FR, it DOES affect the burning damage (on bosses, reset it to lit or cold with another skill and watch the burn drastically increase its rate) but it rarely matters because everything gets 3 shock stacks anyway.

the build clears faster than anything else in the game, and is probably the lowest in terms of survivability (mainly due to desync, you can dodge just about everything except dudes hitting you through walls and/or off the screen) and that alone made me drop it at 69, i was just too tired to grind any farther and there was very little purpose in continuing to play a brutally beaten game.
"
"
"
I am also playing a variation of this build on onslaught ladder. I saw your videos and it reminded me of the ele crit split shot diamond flask rangers from closed beta and I just had to try it. I have to say it is incredbly fun. I have played fp templar, ek marauder, templar ele wander (both life based and ci based) and this is by far the most fun character I have tried.

What does your tree look like at ~100 points?

Alright so I RIP'd in onslaught apparently because of a connection issue that logged me out, only to log back in and see that my character was in default. Did not even get to see a death screen. Became kind of frustrated with the game and stopped playing for a couple days. That's why I hadn't responded to your post. This did give me some time to think the build over a little more and there are some adjustments I'm going to make that will be mandatory for mapping on HC eventually. I'm also rerolling the same character and hopefully will have a video to show what it looks like in a week or so.

New Skill Tree (lvl 81):
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAP0EswUtBVsGDgn2DjwOrRRNFHEUsBZvF1AY2xkuGYUaOB0UIWAkqiWtJ-0otSlPKaU26TpSPAVAoEGqQ5xG10wtUFBUSVXGVgRYY1nzXcZfKl8_YEtgiGFSY_1mnme9cql0VXTtdPF65nrvfM582X1Tgh6Cm4M4hmCLjIzPj0aQVZitm6Gfy5_fogCnhKyYrKq2hrndwBrG2M9l0NDUfNSP2wvd8-Fz42rnUudq6-TsOO0g7m_vDu9O73zwH_Iv8932SPcy99f46_rS

Differences from previous:
-dropped tricurse, permacurse
-picked up iron reflexes and unwavering stance

Reasons for this being that shield chargers in act 3 merc were totally kicking my ass before i dc'd and died, and I know that if I would have encountered them or rhoas on a map I would be living on a prayer. Those two passives in addition to offering cannot be stunned will also give the build a crap ton of armor from grace + determination, further enhancing the benefits of Arctic Armor. Also, casting three curses is kind of drag and takes away from the fast paced play that a build with this kind of kill potential offers.

IDEAL ITEMS + GEMS FOR ITEM SLOTS:

HEAD: Chitus : Faster Casting/Increased AOE + Ele Weakness/Enfeeble + Flammability + Temp Chains

CHEST: Cloak of Flames : Explosive Arrow + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Prolif + Life Leech + Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect

GLOVES: Thunderfist : Split Shot + Chain + Life on Hit + Elemental Prolif

BOOTS: Windscream : Reduced Mana + Clarity + Determination + Discipline

WEAPON: Quillrain : Reduced Mana + Grace + Purity + Wrath + Arctic Armor

RING 1: Shavronne's Revelation (left ring slot for insane mana regen):

AMULET: Atziri Foible :

RING 2: :

QUIVER: :

BELT: :

Notes on items:

Atziri's Foible and Shavronnes Revelation are the two new notable unique items I've added to the build. They are what make it possible in addition to Eldritch Battery, for you to achieve such a large mana pool and mana regen. It may also be possible to use dream fragments instead of shavronnes; This however is much much more expensive.

You will see that this build only requires a single 6 link in the armor, and the reason it is there instead of the bow, is because the color of the gems needed for your explosive arrow are more easily obtained in a int chest than a dex bow. Further, the bow itself only really requires a 4 link, as linking arctic armor to reduced mana does nothing. This means the entire build in perfect form only requires one 6 link and a bunch of 4 links which is nice and cheap :).

I don't believe that there is an optimal unique second ring, quiver, or belt for this build. You should try to find rare items that have life and resists imo, chaos resist especially as this build has relatively good elemental resists already from passives, chitus, windsreams, purity, etc. and chaos is a glaring weakness on most life based characters.

You will notice that I changed a few of the gems as well. They mostly have to deal with the pickup of unwavering stance and iron reflexes. First because of those two keystones, I will have armor to multiply by using determination which previously was useless. So I chose to drop either Haste/Vitality for Determination. Second, because of unwavering stance, the build can no longer evade attacks. This makes blind, which was slotted on the split shot in the thunderfists, pretty much useless to you. If you have party members that can make use of this still and want to be a team player, feel free. I however thought for a moment about what to replace it with and I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. Elemental Proliferation! Split shot is what this version of the build uses to stack shock the mobs, but like the original build by IsodorRodosi, the damage is not enough to shock bosses, it needed to be proliferated through weaker monsters. So why not do the same with this? I feel this will be a much quicker way to shock stack mobs/ bosses as well because you are able to shoot 3+ splitshots per second all which hit the entire mob and all of which will proliferate to the rest of the mob if even of one of arrows shocks. This is opposed to setting off explosive arrows with a 1 second fuse time.

So all in all I think this will be a much better variation of my previous variation, especially defensively. It should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k armor without flask, 81 all res, and constant upkeep of arctic armor (for physical mitigation, fire mitigation, and therefore, reflect mitigation), while using the grace, clarity, determination, discipline, wrath, and purity auras and spamming splitshot/explosive arrow freely.

Would love some feedback or thoughts on this. Especially from Isodor, I'm glad that I was able to impress you. As I said before this character is just too much fun to play. Even without the insane damage numbers that your variation boasts, it still nearly one shots everything and is just a blast.

EDIT: I have done absolutely everything I described in this variation I proposed and am lvl 79 on onslaught, I have all the gear except the thunderfist and all the skill tree except the shocking passives. I can say that it works, sort of, but not anywhere near as well as I expected. I have run two ele reflect maps and completed them, but arctic armor doesn't negate ALL of the reflect damage like I was hoping it would. Any stack higher than 2 arrows and I still nearly one shot myself with about 3.5 life. I tried 4 arrows on a mob of about 10 and dropped to 500 or so hp and nearly cried. Basically the build doesn't work like I thought it would. I have a mana pool of about 2500 and mana regen in the ~220s/second. I can run all the auras without any issue, but arctic armor just barely drains my mana while moving, and the fact that there is negative mana consumption while moving and negative mana consumption while fighting, (because you are split shooting/explosive arrowing, and cursing) means that there is ALWAYS a drain on your mana and that sometimes you need to stop for about 3 seconds or so, do nothing, and allow your mana to regen. This sucks. An alternative would be to carry a mana pot, but that also sucks.

Considering the my entire variation was built on stacking mana to run arctic armor to negate reflect, and it doesn't work, I have to say my build doesn't work. I tried speccing out of eldritch battery to see what it would be like without that mana boost ( to see what it would be like if i choose to go ci and vaal pact) and there is nowhere near enough mana regen to support ea. Its impossible.

Basically, you still need to be careful of reflect packs when playing with my build and therefore you may as well be careful of reflect packs when playing the op' version which can either stack WAY more damage than mine, or WAY more life/general survivability than mine. I would say its better to go either of those two routes, and carry a ruby flask/be aware when dealing with reflect.
Last edited by qqwyeti on Jun 29, 2013, 7:33:14 PM
"
webas wrote:
with minnion totem you would never die except from reflect.. so this build is indeed op..

And then you die to reflect. OP! Not...
"
Carligan wrote:
"
webas wrote:

And then you die to reflect. OP! Not...

I did probably a dozen reflect maps yesterday with this build. It was not an issue. As long as you're not retarded and don't 5 stack dual curse a dozen mobs, you will never die.

FYI level 80 on onslaught, so its not that i sometimes die and sometimes don't. Haven't died once. Reflect is just not a problem as long as youre not stupid.

I do feel the build is OP, its not very fun when you honestly do more damage than the rest of the group youre playing with combined so you might as well be by yourself. But playing by yourself sucks too. I can honestly say the game is not that challenging right now with this character.
Last edited by qqwyeti on Jun 30, 2013, 7:43:37 PM
Also I know this is something a lot people overlook on life builds such as this one, but i find using blood rage to be exceptionally fun on this character. It just makes a character that already has insane kill potential and speed even faster.

Increases cast speed as well so casting both curses takes like half a second as opposed to like the three fourths of a second that it usually takes. Not a huge deal, but it is definitely a noticable difference, and an enjoyable one at that. All you need is a decent amount of chaos res, enough to bring you to about 20 positive or so, which isn't hard, and you wont even feel the effects of the drain blood rage gives.
Last edited by qqwyeti on Jun 30, 2013, 11:44:24 PM
This build is fantastic. I am going to touch it up a bit and make it more life oriented at this point. I just want to make it viable to some degree. I've got my level 59 EA templar in anarchy and it's a blast. He one-shots while solo pretty much every white at docks. Hoping at around level 70 I can start 1-shotting everything up to rares. Reflect is a bitch, 4 mobs with it = dead, lol.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Jul 3, 2013, 10:17:48 AM
Should i makeit more sure in the startpost, that the way i play my build isnt the best one? Or is it clear?
IGN: Toxic_Artillery

Obey the Orb:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2161077/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info