Diablo 4: will you buy it?

"
dehogynem wrote:
Okay so let me get this straight.

A week ago most of the gaming community hated Blizzard, even closed their accounts, because the company literally supports the communist chinese government (which doesnt afraid to kill people if they riot).

How is that not the case now? How can people forgot so soon? Just because a game comes out is it okay to murder people?

I still dislike blizzard, so what? I only care about the games, 0 fucks given about who makes them as long as the games are good.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Last edited by jackof8lades on Nov 2, 2019, 7:08:47 AM
"
dehogynem wrote:

A week ago most of the gaming community hated Blizzard, even closed their accounts, because the company literally supports the communist chinese government (which doesnt afraid to kill people if they riot).

How is that not the case now? How can people forgot so soon? Just because a game comes out is it okay to murder people?

Trust me, even after the shitshow of Fallout 76, if Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls 6 next year, people will buy it. That's the power of marketing, or rather that's how fickle consumers are. Is why I've never been impressed by consumer activism (non-legal i.e. excluding when just taking companies to court) - it's all bark and no bite. As I've mentioned here once before, the only time consumer boycotts have ever worked is when they've been part of movements so powerful it'd be surprising if they didn't - and the only examples of that I know are literal independence movements. I mean, we've had the BDS movement against Israel for a long time now - what has it achieved, apart from media headlines? Their companies still do roaring business.
I'll look at it with interest, but also with caution. D3 did have some very appealing aspects (auto gold pickup, a good sense of flow to rifts, some interesting and challenging boss fights, smart loot, quite a few "polish" issues, ...). But, it still wasn't a good game.

Character design and progression in D3 are just plain bad. Creative character builds usually don't work. You use the latest cookie cutter build, with a few niche builds that might work out OK. Otherwise, ignore the overwhelming majority of possible skill combinations if you'd like a functional character. Why have a huge number of choices if the overwhelming majority of them are terrible?

Itemization was and remains very disappointing. Set items are (almost) everything in D3, dictating playstyles and skills to use^. They flooded the game with other items and made most of them useless, except as crafting bases. So, even with "smart loot" in place that supposedly increased the percentage of items dropping that are potentially of value to your character, other aspects of itemization made the overwhelming majority of what dropped useless anyways, except as crafting bases.

^ LON exists and it isn't dreadful for all builds. But, putting together a LON build is a lot more work to get than sets, in general, and the payoff isn't very good in terms of DPS and/or defenses.

Also regarding itemization (and gameplay), tying all damage in the game to weapon damage was a puzzling choice. It limited build variety by a lot (and constrained itemization as well) and guaranteed that any weapon you found while leveling would become effectively useless later. No upgrade paths for an interesting weapon you found, no nifty or quirky weapon with mediocre damage gets a second look. No "pure caster" or "pure summoner" builds based on skills*. Go for pure DPS with your weapon slot, factoring in the effect of sets and legendaries on DPS where appropriate. Full stop.

* The "weapon damage" choice also invites questions about lore. Why are spells and summons affected by weapon damage through the same scaling mechanisms as attacks? How does that work, from a lore perspective?

Gameplay is also underwhelming. D3 devs' vision for active gameplay is to force you to click your mouse a lot. That's it. Brain activity beyond "must click mouse" is sometimes needed, but often optional. For example, the much-awaited necromancer summoner build in D3 tends to revolve around farting out a skelly mage every 2.7 seconds or thereabouts to maximize damage (or it did, for a while, I haven't checked recently). You can't even choose the location for the skelly mage you summon; you just click your mouse and your character farts it out. Because apparently that's "active gameplay".

D2 was far from perfect, but was overall a great game. D3 was disappointing in ways that are concerning because the mistakes made were so predictably bad that it makes me wonder about the devs' decision making processes.

Circling back to the beginning, "both interest and caution" is my response to the D4 announcement.

Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 2, 2019, 9:30:48 AM
"
jackof8lades wrote:
"
dehogynem wrote:

I still dislike blizzard, so what? I only care about the games, 0 fucks given about who makes them as long as the games are good.

you dislike it but you support it?

Thats like setting a forest on fire, and then saying "i support the enviroment, its important to me"

"
dehogynem wrote:
you dislike it but you support it?

Thats like setting a forest on fire, and then saying "i support the enviroment, its important to me"

it isn't about supporting it. giving money to buy a game is not inherently supporting the company and all they stand for etc. its you paying the price to do what you want to do.
basically you're just thinking too much about it.

and BTW your example is ridiculous and wrong on a few levels
"
dehogynem wrote:

poe is owned by tencent and yet here we all are.
Lol my power went out yesterday morning, I just barely got to see the trailer. And definitely not until it goes on sale for 20$.

Holy shit it looks so corny. Diablo 3 had a way better atmosphere than what I just saw. Hopefully it's not getting released any time soon and none of this is final.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
dehogynem wrote:

yeah, its because who cares. if you're actually connected to the china/SK fiasco enough, then worrying about what company you give your money to for your VIDEO GAMES should be the bottom of the barrel worry. lol

seriously, who cares. its an entirely different country with entirely different government, rules, rights, etc. you shouldn't be concerned about it.
if you are concerned about it, again, video games is a really rock bottom portion of it.
if you really want to boycott china because you feel so strongly about their decisions you're in for an extreme drastic life change mah dude.
most of it is just virtue signalling...kinda like everything else
"
xMustard wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
dehogynem wrote:

yeah, its because who cares. if you're actually connected to the china/SK fiasco enough, then worrying about what company you give your money to for your VIDEO GAMES should be the bottom of the barrel worry. lol

seriously, who cares. its an entirely different country with entirely different government, rules, rights, etc. you shouldn't be concerned about it.
if you are concerned about it, again, video games is a really rock bottom portion of it.
if you really want to boycott china because you feel so strongly about their decisions you're in for an extreme drastic life change mah dude.
most of it is just virtue signalling...kinda like everything else

You can play PoE and not support the game with money.

Increase the serverload without contributing to maintenance.

?

I mean, this argument actually works if your against china in this case.

PoE isn't a single purchase so i fail to see how you can atribute a monetary strategy designed for that on it.

I haven't bought points since the tencent buy-in and i will refuse to do so in the future. Doesn't mean i'm going to stop playing the game i originally backed.

That's like saying people should stop playing D2 because of what blizzard did.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
About the whole china - hong kong affair, and other similar situations, I'd say most of us in the west lack the knowledge and the insider perspective to fully grasp their history and relations. Hell, I've had the displeasure of seeing not even those directly involved having any idea about what's really going on behind the scenes until all of it was over.

Still, they say the difference between a good and a bad company is that a good company thinks you're smart for buying their products. Blizzard is obviously taking their customers for idiots and I don't absolutely need what they're offering, so why would I want to support a bad company?

So yeah, won't get it even if it's, by some twisted play of fate, good. Didn't get Borderlands 3 because of that Epic deal either, even though I love the franchise, and I'm still alive and well.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info