[3.8] Cast When Using Flask Automatic Death March a.k.a FLASKMANCER | 1.9 M Shaper Damage X 4
Do you get bored playing Necromancer since your minion does everything for you while you sit there looking pretty and would like something more engaging?
But do you unfortunately also a lazy ass that don't want to manually target and click everything yourself?
If you are, then this build might just what you are looking for.
Introducing, Cast When Using Flask Automatic Death March a.k.a FLASKMANCER (tentative name).
WHAT IS THIS?
This is a Minion Instability build using Herald of Purity that only made possible in [3.8] by the addition of Infernal Legion support gem and the efficiency went Up to Eleven by the addition of Cold Iron Point unique dagger. With Necromancer ascendancy and dual wield Cold Iron Point, you can easily make Sentinel of Purity reach 300k++ life. This makes the base fire damage of Minion Instability reach 100k++. Life's good.
As the name suggest, you only need to use flask to trigger everything and do not really use need to cast anything yourself.
This build boasting stellar burst damage. Right now on level 92, each of my Sentinel of Purity deals 1.9 Million Shaper damager and i can summons 4 Sentinel instantly with 2 Writhing Jar charges so the damage reach 7.6 Million damage in 1.8s to Shaper and 16.8 Million damage 1.8s to normal enemy. Which literally melt them to ashes just like what happened to the unrighteous in Cassia's song. All content clear.
So basically this build is all about running around while pressing flask and end up killing anything and everything automatically.
SHAPER FIGHT, NO DEAD
- Not as boring as just sitting there and look at your minion do their things
- No as tedious as to need you to manually click each and every enemy you need to die
- Reasonably tanky and easy to survive (8k effective health with Mind over Matter), i mean, you just run around and use flask, if you die a lot there's definitely something seriously wrong.
- Reasonably cheap, ultra cheap uniques except Fortress Covenant. You can complete the build with ~1.5 exalt
- Can run all maps modifier, even the less flask charges one
- Outrageus burst damage, can deal 7.6 Million damage in 1.8s
- Blazing fast boss fight
- Can clear all content(Except Catarina)
- Clear speed so-so. Not terribly fast, but not slow either.
- Need to pay attention to flask charges
- Cannot kill Catarina(Well, at least i can't. Sorry, slow hand)
- Right now there's a bug that sometimes when you summon Sentinel of Purity too fast the Sentinel spawn without Infernal Legion active, it takes about 8s for the burn to kicks in. You can just turn off and turn on The herald again to quickly reset this though.
For better or for worse, since you need time to wait for the Minion Instability to kicks in, it took exactly the same amount of time to kill 1 pack of tier 1 enemy and tier 16 Guardian: 1.8s.
HOW IT WORKS?
In this build, first we use the the combination of Herald of Purity + Death's Oath + Writhing Jar to do our initial cast.
You might already ever heard that one build of the week that using Doedra Elixir to trigger Cast When Damage Taken to cast stuff.
This build, however, using a completely different mechanics to utilize the cast. We use the combination of these three things:
- Herald of Purity summon a Sentinel of Purity when you kill an enemy
- Death's Oath provide Death Aura that deal dmg overtime to enemy around you
- Writhing Jar flask spawn two weak enemy worms when you use it
The Combination of these three things makes the Death Aura automatically kills all the worms you spawn and thus trigger the summoning of Sentinel of Purity and thus you ends up with summoning two Sentinel of Purity each time you use the flask. Since flask have no cooldown, you can use 2 Writhing Jar at once to summon 4 Sentinel of Purity instantly.
Second, we link Herald of Purity with Infernal Legion and adds Keystone Minion Instability.
- Infernal Legion makes unit you summoned takes 40% of it's max life/s as fire damage
- Minion Instability makes your minion explodes when it life remaining reach 30%, dealing 33% of it's max life as fire damage in area
The combination of this three makes Sentinel of Purity you summoned takes massive damage/s and explode ~2s after you summon it and dealing massive amount of fire damage in area.
Third, we use Speaker's Wreath + Siegebreaker
- Speaker's Wreath makes your minion's hit can only kill ignited enemies
- Siege breaker makes your minion leave a caustic cloud that deals 20% of maximum life as chaos damage when they died
When your Sentinel of Purity explode because of Minion Instability, it will deals massive damage that most likely will kill anything that's not Rare/Unique monster. But kill by minion will not trigger Herald of Purity as it requires player that doing the killing. Here's where the combo of these two plays in.
Speaker's Wreath will make the damage from Minion Instability cannot kill enemies no matter how much damage it deals. Siege breaker will make the minion leave a caustic cloud that deals damage over time. Speaker's Wreath only prevent minion from killing, but damage over time can still kill just fine. But currently as in [3.8], there's a bug/feature that makes enemy that killed by damage over time from your minion somehow counts as player kill (don't ask me why). And thus by using these two items it will makes every kill done by your minion to counts as your kill and thus triggering Herald of Purity to summon another Sentinel of Purity each time your Sentinel of Purity explodes and kill stuff.
This effectively makes you automatically kept summoning minions until all enemy on screen died.
tl'dr, this is the summary of the build mechanics
The gear that's absolutely needed to enable this build is only these three
I recommended to use 3-4 Writhing jar to avoid running out of flask charges.
This is the gears that's althought not required but very very recommended to be used
Cold Iron Point is very cheap ~2-5 chaos, comes with inherent "perfect roll" , and will gives you ~37% more damage each. This dagger is actually the very best possible weapon you can get for this build. The DPS increase will even beat the very best rare wand that's possible to be crafted. Normally this dagger will makes you unable to deal elemental damage but as the one that explode and delaing the damage is not you, your minion can still deals fire damage via Minion Instability just fine. Dual wielding this will gives you ~88% more damage. Can't beat that.
Circle of Guilt gives toy very nice addition to both mana reserve and damage since you can't use The Coming Calamity.
You will needs a lot of link to the Herald of Purity and without any reduced mana reserve it can eats your whole mana pool with just the herald alone. With two of this ring, you can potentially get 80% reduced mana reserve for Herald of Purity and 200% increased damage to Sentinel of Purity. Good stuff. You can also use one that grant you reduced physical damage taken if you into that stuff.
Speaker's Wreath although i do said earlier to be part of the mechanics, actually not absolutely needed.
From my experience, even without it, because the damage is so massive, the enemy that's not killed by the explosion will died by the caustic cloud anyway and sometimes will still trigger the automatic part, although not always. This makes removing the Speaker's Wreath will just makes you need to press the flask a little bit more time, but not so much. And if you choose to leave out Speaker's Wreath you can now find some rare base that have Reduce mana reserve to Herald of Purity on it to combo it with dual Circle of Guilt to make the mana reserve free.
Actually, that exactly what i opted out to do.
For amulet i recommend to use Impresence Fire instead of Chaos one since you can't stack caustic cloud damage but you can stack 4 Minion Instability damage at once in 2 Writhing Jar use.
This jewel not required but really improving your quality of life if you can spare the currency to get one. Currently it cost ~1 exalt.
- Without Fortress Covenant, your Sentinel of Purity will take about 2.91s to explode
- With 3 node converted, it took about 1.82s for it to explode.
Poe.trade have the wares if you have the coin.
As for the other gear like shoes and gloves, you can just use any rare you like, just aim to max out all the resistances.
For support gem to Herald of Purity here's my recommendation from the best to the next best by rank. Ideally you would need 1 red and 5 blue slot on your 6 link but since Death oath is pure strength armor, you most likely will struggle to fill those socket color with blue/white so it's nice to know what other less efficient options you have when you stuck with 3 blue 3 red socket and no currency or vorici to roll more blue/white.
1. Infernal Legion (required)
Not increasing any damage you might have but it's build enabler, absolutely needed. Kill by infernal legion burning damage does not count as player damage so increasing the level also increases the burning damage which in turn increases the chance of enemy to not die from caustic cloud. You may level it up if you wants but never increases the quality. Increasing quality makes your minion take less fire damage and increasing the time it took to explode. I myself leave the gem at lvl 1 and 0% quality.
2. Feeding Frenzy
It does not increase the damage the best but it makes the Minion aggresive. And you need your minion to be as aggrive as possible to make it reach, spread, and make carnage to enemy on what little time it have to be alive.
3. Death Mark
It increases damage the most and enable you to target that one specific motherfucker that you want to kill. But it makes you need to use one more active skill which if you are too lazy for that, you can just skip.
4. Minion Damage
It gives slightly less more damage than Minion life but it also increase the minion attack damage which is good.
5. Minion life
It gives you slightly more more damage than Minion Damage to Minion Instability but not to minion attack damage.
6. Fire Penetration
Although this support gem does not ideal as it only increases damage to Minion Instability but not to Caustic Cloud, this one is an okay alternative until you can get those damn blue/white slot.
This one even more less ideal, since with dual Cold Iron Point and Necromancer Ascendancy you can easily already reach lvl 28/29 Herald of Purity. Under level 30, each level gives you 11% more damage. But above lvl 30, each level only gives you 6% more damage. So yeah, this one not great but what other better choice you have when you don't have that sweet sweet blue/white slot.
Another recommended minion to use is Stone Golem. Since Cold Iron Point increases level of all Physical Spell gem, that includes Stone Golem also. You can easily have level 30 Stone golem that gives you a bunch of life regeneration. This is especially great since Death's Oath will deals you chaos damage over time so Stone Golem can essentially cancel those degeneration out. Linking the golem to meat shield support also great choice for defensive purposes.
- Look for minion life, minion damage, and minion movement speed. For damage to Minion Instability, Minion life worth about twice of minion damage. Take all minion life as much as you can.
- Minion attack speed, cast speed, and any minion chaos resistance is totally useless, don't bother with those.
- You must absolutely avoid minion elemental resistance, as those will makes your minion takes less damage from Infernal Legion and thus died longer.
- Spiritual Aids is must have, without it sometimes the worms won't die if you use the flask while running.
Here's the passive tree i currently used. Do note the weird passive on the left is due to using Elegant Hubris jewel above the Devotion notable passive.
You don't really need any. None of non-curse aura will benefit you much. Anger, Wrath, Hatred, Haste, etc can increase your Sentinel of Purity attack damage but it's not much addition to your overall damage. Huge majority of your damage is from Minion instability which none of non-curse aura will increase.
For curse, if you use Impresence Fire you can use Blasphemy to turn flammability to aura for free. Recommended.
Early Game (Lvl 1-62)
- At beginning you can use any minion you fancy. I'd recommend to use permanent minion though like Zombie and Spectre as those require less attention from you.
- Pick an active skill that deal damage to enemy to helps you clear faster. Spark, Fireball, and Purifying Flame are good choice but you can just use any skill you fancy. I'd recommend to at least pick spell skill/bow rather than melee attack skill though as i'd be easier for you to be ranged while your minion tank for you.
- Put as many skill as you can on Minion damage and survivability(life and energy shield).
- Try to get Spiritual Aid's passives as fast as you can, as that will makes all Increases to Minion damage you to applied to you as well, massively boosting your leveling capability.
- Don't be afraid to take passives that gives you spell damage, cast speed, movement speed, etc. If it's can helps you survive or increase your clear speed, take it, you can refund those skill points later on when you switch build at level 62. You will get 22 free refund passives point from story mode, put those refund point to good use. Don't be those guy that save all their elixir for final boss fight but ends up never using any of those elixir at all at the end.
- Leveling with minion is not very gear dependent, use your best equipment that have as many blue link as possible. Preferably 4 blue link.
- Most of the uniques required about level 62-64, so you wont' be able to transition to the build until around act 8/9
Mid Game (Level 62-80/90)
- You can start to run this build at lvl 62.
- Ideally you would have at least 5 link at this point. 6 Link is a luxury but not really necessary. I manage to kill Uber Elder on 5 link Death Oath.
- You should have enough currency to buy Fortress Covenant when you reach about tier 5 Atlas. It can be even earlier if you are lucky and rng-sama grace you with an exalt drop.
- Death's Oath deals you 450 chaos damage per second so make sure you have enough chaos resistance for it. Soul of Arakaali and Shakari from Phanteon can helps you mitigate those chaos damage. But with Stone Golem active you will have a bunch of life regeneration anyway, so it's not a major concern.
- Look for Writhing Jar with exactly 20% reduced Charges used. In conjunction with Arcane Chemistry, it can reduced your charges use to just 13. Since Writhing Jar have 40 max charges, this effectively giving you 3 use of your Writhing Jar instead of the usual 2 use.
- You ideally should already have 6 link by this point
- Spend some currency to look for great Circle of guilt. If you opted out to not use Speaker's Wreath, look for two ring that gives you total at least 70% reduce mana for Herald of Purity so you can have it free with helmet enchancement.
- If you really really want to take it further and have enough patience, the last step is looking for Elegant Hubris. Look for Hubris that gives nice bonus to Minion life and Minion damage in a good location. At least 2x80% Minion life not hard to find. I myself manage to find one that gives 240% Minion life and 80% Minion Damage after buying ~40++ Hubris. Beware, elegant hubris makes all small passives useless so pick one that use jewel slot that's not obstructing.
Q. "Why Herald of Purity? Isn't that skill damage notoriously trash?"
A. "The attack damage is rather trash, even on level 30 gem. But the max life it have... Oh boy, Sentinel of Purity life can reach 330k++. A 330k++ Minion Instability explosion is no joking damage."
Q. "What should i do will all my mana since you said i don't need any aura?"
A. "I myself opted out to use those mana to good use with mind over matter with 10% addition from Watcher's Eye. You don't need to cast any spell anyway so no need to worry about not enough mana to cast spell. I manage to reach about 8k effective health from Life+mana. Well, that means i still use Clarity which means i do still use aura. So i guess it means you do still needs aura."
Q. "Why the Video only a Shaper fight when you said all content clear? Uber elder fight video please, you fucking noob."
A. "I do manage to kill Uber elder twice already but i'm sucks and cannot evade those two nigga cooperating with each other without dying to my slow hand. So i figured a video of me pulverizing Uber elder while simultaneously getting pulverized myself and barely manage to kill the damn elder at 6th portal wont be too awesome to watch. So i opted out to just shoot the video of a fight of a boss that i actually have fast enough hand to react, so there you go. It's definitely not that the build cannot kill Uber elder reliably. I swear."
That's all. I hope you enjoy this guide. Please leave a comment and ask if there's anything you would like to know.
As this is my first time ever making a guide, criticism is very welcome.
Thank you guys.
Last edited by Thor_21 on Nov 4, 2019, 2:45:31 AM
Last bumped on Dec 4, 2019, 9:22:47 PM
on Nov 1, 2019, 3:55:55 AM
I really like your build idea. Very creative
I also use an MI bomber this league but I pop skellies.
It's a shame that monsters killed by MI don't trigger summon phantasm for some reason. This would really help out your builds clear speed I guess. I hope this gets fixed someday
Have you tried Necromantic Aegis and Maligaros Lense? 300.000K life per sentinel meens they heal you for 6K each time they pop.
Also, try to get an elder helmet with Minion life and minion damage and plus 2 or 3 on minions. You would be able to use your 6 link chest for something else.
I also use a ball lightning, gmp, totem, blind combo to trigger EE and blind if necessary.
I am not sure but since you already use flammability (and maybe EE) it might be better to use elemental focus instead of fire pen
Why are u using death mark AND feeding frenzy? Might be a good idea to get rid of FF and use elemental focus or increased area of effect
Last edited by H463N on Nov 3, 2019, 3:55:31 PM
on Nov 3, 2019, 3:22:17 PM
I tried to put Maligaro lens before, it does helps a lot with budget since you now didn't need Fortress Covenant and with fortress covenant, the minion can dies in ~1s. But doing so will decrease the damage per pop by around 33% since you lose one Cold Iron Point. I never thought about the heal before though, it does will make crazy amount of heal.
I'll try to look into the helmet more. Good Elder helmet base with Herald of Purity enhancement on it cost quite a bit though. But it's nice since the requirement for gem color would be easier to get.
The reason i currently use Fire Penetration is just because i currently cannot get more than 4 blue socket on the Death's Oath since it's pure strength armor. If it's blue socket there's do a whole better choices than Fire Penetration.
I cannot use EE though as Cold Iron Point makes me unable to deal elemental damage myself.
Elemental Focus only increasing damage from MI though but not caustic cloud but it do gives ~49% more damage compared to Feeding Frenzy that gives ~36.4% more damage and 15% movement speed. So it's a trade off between damage and Minion Movement Speed. From my experience though even on 165% minion movement speed, the Sentinel cannot outrun me (just 115% movement speed) to chase enemy further ahead so you will need every minion movement speed you could get to increase clear speed.
I use both since without Feeding Frenzy, the minion not aggressive enough to spread out in all direction. So i used the Feeding Frenzy to spread the damage everywhere while using the Death Mark to specifically target one enemy when there's a lot of enemies around. The combo of the two especially useful in Blighted map. Feeding frenzy will kill enemies way further beyond the screen while if a unique monster manages to get through i can recall them all to attack and kill that one quickly.
Last edited by Thor_21 on Nov 3, 2019, 6:08:49 PM
on Nov 3, 2019, 6:03:36 PM
Oh... forgot that the dagger kills ele damage. So yes, EE is not an option.
Was just thinking....you could switch fire pen with empower. Lvl 21 gem + empower (3) + daggers (6) + helmet (3) + ascedency (2) = 35. Hooooooly sh*t
I really really like your build and might try it out some time.
Also, thanks for explaining your support gem choices.
I know these necromancer elder helmets are expensive this league but you should get one anyway.
on Nov 4, 2019, 1:22:26 AM
Empower actually not a very great choice because of how gem scale differently above level 30. Normally below level 30, each level of the gem gives you ~11% more damage so +3 would normally gives you ~37.4% more damage. But Above skill gem level 30, each level of the gem only gives you ~6% more damage.
Currently With level 21 gem + 2 Cold Iron Point (6) + Ascendancy (2) i already hit level 29 on it. That makes the addition of Empower actually only gives around ~24.7% more damage due to diminishing increased above gem level 30. This also surprised me when i'm making the build since i never even hit anywhere close to gem level 30 on any other build before so i never know that this kind of diminishing scaling is there.
But that also means if we do manage to get +3 on elder helmet and both socketed gem supported by Minion Life and Minion Damage mod, it can potentially increases the damage at least by that much. That's quite a lot of improvements that can be achieved.
I'm really glad you like the build.
Last edited by Thor_21 on Nov 4, 2019, 2:48:39 AM
on Nov 4, 2019, 2:33:12 AM
on Dec 4, 2019, 9:22:47 PM