As GGG is owned by TenCent..

"
grimlock9999 wrote:
A little study of history will reveal what a delightful anomoly true free speech has been. What a powerful tool of oppression the censorship of free speech can be. How easily social progress can be halted by limiting the free flow of ideas and opinions.

New Zealand was one of the first places on the planet to allow women to study or hold political office. They have been leaders in environmental protection laws and other areas of 'social progress' for over a century: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1809/S00279/new-zealand-places-10th-in-the-world-in-social-progress.htm

I can't imagine these advances for humanity were won with the 'their game, their rules' mentality, even though it is understandable.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

here is the point - nobody is saying you can't talk or hold an opinion about this subject matter. you just can't do it here.
and my question is, why would you want to do it here anyway? who would you be preaching to? lol

guess what? if you come to my house, you damn sure couldn't say anything you wanted to either. right now you're in GGGs house. this is not a hard concept to grasp. it has nothing to do with free speech, it has to do with manners and consideration.

imagine if there was no off-topic at all. everyone just had to stay on topic on this forum which is the game. i'd actually enjoy that, cause then we'd blow away any discussions like this.
"
xMustard wrote:
"
HelicanV wrote:
Can we expect our chats to be censored and accounts banned ala Blizzard for wrongspeak?

what would you like to say?

you know what i think is funny. when all these conservatives and people scream about censorship. "wah wah i even got banned from my BANK for what i post on TWITTER! oh noooooes"

is that bad? yeah ok sure. but why do people like this feel the need to scream their politics and opinions at other groups of people over twitter, or general chat in a fucking video game, or even on these forums?
and if you do really feel the need to do it, then why are you surprised if other people don't like it and take it down?

stop feeling the need to express every single one of your opinions and political views on medias like this and you won't have a problem.
stop posting all your words and views on twitter and facebook cause of "mah free speech". if you do it just because you can, you're the dick.

AMEN!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
xMustard wrote:

imagine if there was no off-topic at all. everyone just had to stay on topic on this forum which is the game. i'd actually enjoy that, cause then we'd blow away any discussions like this.

Discussions have been blown away, what are you talking about?

Off-topic trafic literally dropped by 80% after the guide-line change and i have suggested myself to remove it at this point since it no longer serves a community function.

When was the last time you've seen scrotie,alt or some of the other regular people post.

Also, who exactly is forcing anybody on a forum to click a thread and go read it. I don't understand this mentality of "i dont wanna see it, get it out of here" when its a free choice to pursue a topic or not.

Has anybody been threatened via pm to enter a thread i am not aware of? Or what's the actual argument here other then "i like it, therefore its good".
It's an argument like any other, but its just self-serving without any actual sustenance as far as i can tell.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Not gonna give my opinion, but the current state of the game and this doesnt bode well for ggg.

I have had posts removed about this topic, they were harmless but zero tolerance is zero tolerance
"
Boem wrote:
Also, who exactly is forcing anybody on a forum to click a thread and go read it. I don't understand this mentality of "i dont wanna see it, get it out of here" when its a free choice to pursue a topic or not.

Has anybody been threatened via pm to enter a thread i am not aware of? Or what's the actual argument here other then "i like it, therefore its good".
It's an argument like any other, but its just self-serving without any actual sustenance as far as i can tell.

Peace,

-Boem-

that isn't the problem. it isn't a personal thing. its about GGG as a money making nationwide company.
they don't want to get into politics, and so they don't want their playerbase or audience getting into politics because they don't want the reason people were driven away to be political.

in an ideal world where we could all have a civil conversation etc then maybe i wouldn't see an issue with having the discussion, but we don't have an ideal world...or forum...or society.
so that shiny toy gets taken away because not everyone can play nice. so its no longer an option to play. its completely reasonable

it isnt that i agree with the decision to censor such topics, i ultimately don't. but i understand doing so.

i just also see the hypocrisy on both sides of the street.
"censored" lul.

buzzwords for a cyber revolution..
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
"
xMustard wrote:

that isn't the problem. it isn't a personal thing. its about GGG as a money making nationwide company.
they don't want to get into politics, and so they don't want their playerbase or audience getting into politics because they don't want the reason people were driven away to be political.

in an ideal world where we could all have a civil conversation etc then maybe i wouldn't see an issue with having the discussion, but we don't have an ideal world...or forum...or society.
so that shiny toy gets taken away because not everyone can play nice. so its no longer an option to play. its completely reasonable

it isnt that i agree with the decision to censor such topics, i ultimately don't. but i understand doing so.

i just also see the hypocrisy on both sides of the street.

You bassicaly sumarized the reason why off-topic was created and exists.

Without actually touching my point that nobody is forced to enter any thread anywhere.

Further more, i don't know in what gloomy society your living currently, but the thread i remember was 280 pages long and had roughly 3 occurances of actual bad faith arguing in terms of personal infrictions of the rules.

Now i'm not going to do the math what % that is, but that's a lot of pages of people just differing in opinions and talking about it defending their points or posting blog style what happened that day "on the scene".

If that's not civil in your eyes i fear your going to be dissapointed in general?

GGG can do as they please, its their bar but all i see is them removing alcohol from the supply and handling people like children who need a sheppard.
I'm against that since i believe in people, but its their bar.

Peace,

-Boem-

well i dunno i stopped going to off-topic cause it was a bunch of toxic shit day in and day out, but to each their own i guess.

where as people have the ability to not read the thread, people also have the ability to not say it.

restraint is an interesting thing which really does seem to be lacking now-a-days, by everyone.
"
xMustard wrote:

where as people have the ability to not read the thread, people also have the ability to not say it.

Logic like this baffles me, since now i can just type

"why did you just type that, you had the ability not to".

A forum is a public place for discussion, literally. Speaking up is literally the purpose why they exist, granted it can be bracketed in subjects to guide people to relevant topics for discussion allowing people to choose their discussion.

By that same logic we can close down the feedback section since people also have the ability to not say it? And general discussion, because really scrolling over a thread that doesn't interest you is quite the hassle and that other person should know to not say what he did.
Spoiler
just pushing it to an extreme to show how hollow the argument is, specifically when we have an off-topic section that threads can be moved to that don't relate to PoE directly and as such GGG can distance itself from with perfect validity.

I'm gonna go with shags argument "their bar their rules" and the assumption on my part that they want to minimize costs on the forums.
Considering it took them to 2 october to add the new gems on the skill gem feedback section it seems like a fair assesment the forum is low priority/low investment.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Boem wrote:
Peace,

-Boem-

you pushing it to an extreme highlights how little of a point you have. you're tearing down an argument im not making.
im not saying you can't type(or talk) at all, but im asking why do we need to talk about this? just cause you want to?

yes this is a forum where people can discuss. it isn't a public forum though, keep this in mind. this is a private forum open to the public. important distinction.
next important distinction is this is a Path of Exile VIDEO GAME forum. nobody is saying you can't discuss or talk...but why do you need to talk about politics here? you don't.

im talking about restraint. even if you have free speech it doesn't mean you should freely speak anything you want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info