[Major Damage/Mapping Improvements-Update 7.1.22 PoB/Vid] The Fortified Summoner: HoP MI Champion

"
"
BlackSteel15 wrote:
I just picked up gloves with Faster Attacks and Poison, intending to use the extra socket for Culling Strike. But looking at different options I have, it occurred to me that it might be better to use the 6th socket for Fortify and swap the Fortitude ascendancy for First to Strike, Last to Fall. Do you have any thoughts?

Yeah I've been tossing that around too. I think it could work, but I have 2 concerns. First: you pretty much need to run Lucidity annoint and -3 to ring, and even so you are going to have a cyclone mana cost of 2. With my mana pool and regen levels, this is slightly more than I regen at 10 aps (which is where we want to be for life gain and HoP generation). Not a super big deal, except when you go in to no regen maps then it's pretty annoying, but managable with a gemini claw. Just don't use the last of your mana on your dash into a monster pack; it won't go well :p.

Second, fortify on hit is almost, but not quite as safe as plain old passive Fortify. You are probably going to have an occasional death due to some unlucky aoe or such where you hadn't procced fortify. Not really a big deal, but it's still something to consider.

Other potential uses for that last slot is Culling Strike for a mana cost of 1 as you mentioned, though can just swap culling in for gmp in HoA for boss fights, or Blind which has no mana multiplier and so still gives you a free cyclone! Onslaught also brings cyclone to 1 mana, and (this might be a terrible idea) you could also use Blood Magic, and ditch both Lucidity and the -3 enchant! That's ~120 life/sec though, user discretion is advised.

I decided to try both out and see. I'm at ~9.5 aps and I'm only running -3 on my ring for a cyclone cost of 4 with CS or 5 with Fortify, and even with a cost of 5 I don't really have a problem sustaining. I run out of mana after 6-7 seconds of channeling Cyclone without hitting anything but the only real downside of that is that I have to stop Cycloning to run/Dash over distances and I'm not immediately at full stages when I hit more enemies.

Yeah, not having Fortify at all times has some drawbacks, in particular bosses with cannot be hit stages. However, I think the 25% heal and remove all ailments when you hit low life is likely to save me more often than occasionally not having Fortify is likely to get me killed, not to mention the other benefits of First to Strike. I guess I'll find out!

I was also able to pick up a Circle of Guilt with Flammability on Hit as a Synthesis mod, which let me drop Flammability and move Wave of Conviction into the CWDT 4-link, freeing up two gem sockets. I'm currently using them for Enduring Cry and Vaal Grace, but are there any other skills you'd like to be able to run?
"
BlackSteel15 wrote:
"
"
BlackSteel15 wrote:
I just picked up gloves with Faster Attacks and Poison, intending to use the extra socket for Culling Strike. But looking at different options I have, it occurred to me that it might be better to use the 6th socket for Fortify and swap the Fortitude ascendancy for First to Strike, Last to Fall. Do you have any thoughts?

Yeah I've been tossing that around too. I think it could work, but I have 2 concerns. First: you pretty much need to run Lucidity annoint and -3 to ring, and even so you are going to have a cyclone mana cost of 2. With my mana pool and regen levels, this is slightly more than I regen at 10 aps (which is where we want to be for life gain and HoP generation). Not a super big deal, except when you go in to no regen maps then it's pretty annoying, but managable with a gemini claw. Just don't use the last of your mana on your dash into a monster pack; it won't go well :p.

Second, fortify on hit is almost, but not quite as safe as plain old passive Fortify. You are probably going to have an occasional death due to some unlucky aoe or such where you hadn't procced fortify. Not really a big deal, but it's still something to consider.

Other potential uses for that last slot is Culling Strike for a mana cost of 1 as you mentioned, though can just swap culling in for gmp in HoA for boss fights, or Blind which has no mana multiplier and so still gives you a free cyclone! Onslaught also brings cyclone to 1 mana, and (this might be a terrible idea) you could also use Blood Magic, and ditch both Lucidity and the -3 enchant! That's ~120 life/sec though, user discretion is advised.

I decided to try both out and see. I'm at ~9.5 aps and I'm only running -3 on my ring for a cyclone cost of 4 with CS or 5 with Fortify, and even with a cost of 5 I don't really have a problem sustaining. I run out of mana after 6-7 seconds of channeling Cyclone without hitting anything but the only real downside of that is that I have to stop Cycloning to run/Dash over distances and I'm not immediately at full stages when I hit more enemies.

Yeah, not having Fortify at all times has some drawbacks, in particular bosses with cannot be hit stages. However, I think the 25% heal and remove all ailments when you hit low life is likely to save me more often than occasionally not having Fortify is likely to get me killed, not to mention the other benefits of First to Strike. I guess I'll find out!

I was also able to pick up a Circle of Guilt with Flammability on Hit as a Synthesis mod, which let me drop Flammability and move Wave of Conviction into the CWDT 4-link, freeing up two gem sockets. I'm currently using them for Enduring Cry and Vaal Grace, but are there any other skills you'd like to be able to run?

Hmm, Enduring Cry is actually at the top of my list. My only other suggestion right now is to fool around with Infernal Cry a bit. If I read it correctly, it procs the "covers enemies in ash" which is up to a 20% increased damage taken, which is pretty huge. On the other hand it will also temporarily cause us to proc the wrong EE off the exerted attacks which is not so great. My thought is if it's just the next 4 attacks, at 10 aps we're only about .5sec with the wrong EE which probably isn't that big of a deal. Are you using Call to Arms? Seems like a really great qol if you choose to run a warcry rotationally.
Hi

I played SRS version of build few leagues back. Next league i wont have much time to play. So my question is can this build be played as league starter? Also are you planing overhaul levelling portion of guide?
"
fubko wrote:
Hi

I played SRS version of build few leagues back. Next league i wont have much time to play. So my question is can this build be played as league starter? Also are you planing overhaul levelling portion of guide?

I've league started this build for the last 3 seasons, so I would say yes! The usual disclaimers apply: you actually level as dominating blow, only swapping over to the final MI-cyclone build once you have the required uniques; and ideally around lvl 80. I plan to overhaul the whole guide this weekend to capture harvest league updates, and i'll review leveling as a part of that.
I got my act together and fully updated this guide with my lessens learned and build changes from 3.11; many changes/improvements to the mechanics, gearing, and leveling sections were completed along with updated PoB trees for leveling, as well as end-game. Enjoy!
Man, I really wanted to try this next league, but with Projectile Weakness becoming a single target curse I think it's really rough unless they make a new aoe curse that would replace it. What are your thoughts about it?
"
Mourninger2 wrote:
Man, I really wanted to try this next league, but with Projectile Weakness becoming a single target curse I think it's really rough unless they make a new aoe curse that would replace it. What are your thoughts about it?

Hmm, not sure what your question is; we don't run projectile weakness in this build! Our curse is CwDT-Flammability.
I've updated the build tag to 3.12, as I have not seen any further changes needed based on my reading of the patch notes. I am league-starting with this build so if I find anything needing updating I will put it at the top of the guide. Happy leveling!
Hello, I'll try your build this league looks good !!
Last edited by Awà on Sep 20, 2020, 2:59:20 PM
"
Awà wrote:
Hello, I'll try your build this league looks good !!

Glad to hear it! Let me know how it goes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info