[3.23] 🧙‍♂️⚡BattleTrapper 2024 by 📺/ThatDanishFellow ✔️A9 ✔️HC ✔️Block ✔️All-Content ✔️L-Starter ✔️UPD🔥TES

Started rolling a wand. Got pretty lucky on making the base, fracture prefixes were hard to find/expensive so did a 1/5 and hit it first try.
Load of metalllic fossils later (Getting ready for next league!) and hit this

T3 flat lightning is a bit upsetting (I had a t1 flat, nice spell crit roll with +1 FIRE gems that was a little tilting) but it's not that easy to hit gem levels and a decent mod, so had better stop there.

Will try some re-roll suffixes later till I hit a spell crit then some rem non-crit add crit or crit slams.
Got the build going bow. Not had much play time so need to push some levels so I can grab the rest of the crit and some jewel sockets.

Failed so far in efforts to get elevated pierce boots, burnt 2 maven orbs so far ( especially annoying on the 35 move speed and T1 int base). I kept rolling decent boots though while trying which covered the costs though!

Crown of the inward eye seems to be competitive with anything short of an insane rare, so will stick with that for a while.

I would like a bit more throw speed, gloves rolled the other trap mod, but they are a bit too good to roll over. Some proj speed would be nice I think too but not sure where I can get it efficiently.
And no joy finding any useful harvest crafts to finish off my wand, so still using the placeholder one.
Last edited by Carlovski on Mar 14, 2021, 1:41:46 PM
"
Carlovski wrote:
Got the build going bow. Not had much play time so need to push some levels so I can grab the rest of the crit and some jewel sockets.

Failed so far in efforts to get elevated pierce boots, burnt 2 maven orbs so far ( especially annoying on the 35 move speed and T1 int base). I kept rolling decent boots though while trying which covered the costs though!

Crown of the inward eye seems to be competitive with anything short of an insane rare, so will stick with that for a while.

I would like a bit more throw speed, gloves rolled the other trap mod, but they are a bit too good to roll over. Some proj speed would be nice I think too but not sure where I can get it efficiently.
And no joy finding any useful harvest crafts to finish off my wand, so still using the placeholder one.

Looking good mate, curious to see how you fare with this all ;)
Sucks for the maven orbs, but that's the name of the gambling game hehe

Gl mate :)

"
oestergreen wrote:

Looking good mate, curious to see how you fare with this all ;)
Sucks for the maven orbs, but that's the name of the gambling game hehe

Gl mate :)

Thanks, Had another fail on what could have been really good ones - elevated pierce + tailwind. But I had to try a remove non speed add speed to get rid of a prefix. And it hit the pierce...

I've got the start of some boots at least now. Though they have already had a load of remove/add defence and still no decent roll. And then I still need to sort out the suffixes.

Not convinced any of it is worth it either, 5 pierces is overkill and switching the helm enchant isn't that big of a deal.

I still really want proj speed. I might get a clearing wand, or I guess I could just sub in faster projectiles for trap and mine damage (Small throw speed boost there too). Or if I do happen to hit proj speed when rolling suffixes on my better wand I might just keep it.

I do realise I may have been overemphasising + levels on the traps though, we don't have that much % increased so a decent spell damage/lightning damage roll is probably better.
Hopefully get some playtime this week to get levelled and finish off gear. All these failed maven attempts/crafting have eaten into my currency quite a bit though!

Starting to wind down for the league as of the other week, likely pushed the build as far as I'm reasonably willing to. One of the most fun things for me this league was just how much tweaking this build can handle. I've never invested this much in a char before, and it never felt like the return on investment wasn't worth it. After going cold conversion especially, this has been just so much fun. Our damage ceiling is hilariously high. Before getting knocked off the ladder due to being only lvl98, poe.ninja had me (BenLovesTraps) at somewhere between 2.1-2.3mil hit, depending on gem setup. There were still some fun bits and bobs I wanted to add but couldn't be bothered to grind the money for. I bet 2.7m is achievable with decent defense, maybe even 3m if you're willing to lose some es.

Some rambling thoughts on items to consider -
+block/spellblock corrupted presence of chayula - This would allow us to drop some block nodes by Arcane Guarding, or drop the arcane swiftness wheel. Assuming we're in a position to put these point into another jewel socket with at least 2x crit, should be worth more dmg. There's a lot of corrupted chayulas with tranquility, master sapper ones are harder to find.

wrath/disc effect corrupted presence of chayula - Straight forward, more deeps/defence.

3x crit jewels - Pretty self explanatory, more deeps! I only had one 3x crit, rest of mine were 2x.

Shimmeron - This thing is surprisingly ok! Before I had a +1 wand, it was pretty competitive. I never noticed the degen, and if you're only in the 70's/80's and are lacking some block chance, this might be a worthwhile option to consider given how cheap it is. Plus, squid charges!

Crown of the inward eye - Depending on your pathing, this can be best in slot for damage. It still is for me, even compared to my 20 multi / -9 res crafted helm, though I'm routed through some more ES nodes than the official build's tree. I stuck with my crafted helm in the end for some more defense, and just maybe a little out of spite...

Lethal pride + Divergent Berserk - Big damage increase, pretty easy to accommodate. It does hit our mana regen pretty hard, and I needed divergent inspiration to make it work (reduced skill mana cost).

Enlighten 4 vs 3 - I never felt compelled to upgrade my enlightens to lvl 4. Closest I came to doing so was when fixing my sustain after adding berserk, where I almost went for it just so I could level my clarity more. Outside of this, I've never found my ~60 unreserved mana to be the cause of any issue.

Pierce boots - I'm still rocking the +2 pierce and dropped the pierce helm enchant as a result. While I think it is worth doing (~80k avg hit), it does feels like a slight compromise to drop a single pierce, but I only really notice it in rituals or otherwise very thicc packs. +5 would be sooooo comfy!

Divergent lightning trap - Wasn't a fan of this one. Maybe with higher proj speed it'd be worth it, but it felt unbelievably lame to me. I'd like it better if the projectiles returned to their origination point rather than your character.

Trigger on weapon - I go back and forth on this. Depending on your damage, there's really no benefit to exposing / cursing anything other than bosses. I dropped it in favor of more damage on the weapon and only bother using my exposure skill + curse on stubborn bosses.

----------

So yeah, thanks for coming to my TED talk. Build is super duper fun and this league overall was just awesome.

Final Gear Update -
Spoiler

Using tranq on the amulet because I bricked my master sapper one, lol. Under no circumstances could I make tranq more worthwhile dmg-wise in pob.

Last edited by VelvetUnicor on Mar 15, 2021, 5:02:48 PM
Big thanks to oestergreen for inspiring me with this build. It's the first that's got me back into PoE since legacy league - loving the survivability and damage all the way through! I'm by no means min-maxed (my wand even has an empty affix), but it feels great in all content, the tweaks I've made are just because I like freezing stuff and additional insurance against silly mistakes (e.g. ES pathing, safety blanket of 3 endurance charges most of the time w/ IC, traded some damage for Enduring Composure which apparently allows for careless activity like accidental tanking at the centre of the 2-part Sirus maze)! Together with the ES-on-block shield just makes it feel dash-carelessly-into-middle-of-juicy-packs bulletproof.

For anyone curious on what gear enables this outcome (20ex or so invested + 'SSF' harvest crafts):

Spoiler

"
VelvetUnicor wrote:
One of the most fun things for me this league was just how much tweaking this build can handle. I've never invested this much in a char before, and it never felt like the return on investment wasn't worth it. After going cold conversion especially, this has been just so much fun.

Cheers VelvetUnicor for the idea for cold conversion I read earlier in the thread and can highly recommend for level 93ish+, I just like freezing and the shatter sound, so thought I'd try it out and having a blast. I actually started the char as a GC miner, so the ice-themed name came full circle, lol.

Pretty sure I bought my Watcher's Eye off you (I remember the name BenLovesTraps!). Looking at your profile, I'm pretty sure I've stolen your pathing too! I personally like the weapon trigger, but divergent berserk is interesting - does it feel game-changing or just incremental?

Anyway, can highly recommend both the lightning (following this guide) and cold conversion (a few ring/gem/cluster jewel/passive swaps) flavours of the build - felt great all the way through, and was super flexible tweaking for damage, defence & QoL so props!
Last edited by city_ofthemoon on Mar 18, 2021, 12:45:38 PM
"
divergent berserk is interesting - does it feel game-changing or just incremental?

It's definitely big. Toggling it on and off in pob brings me from 1.7m to 2.3m average hit. If I had the dex to run a lvl4 enhance, it'd be 2.45m. Another nice note is that it boosts your movespeed by 30% too, so it helps with clear even outside of the damage.

Honestly the biggest downside is that it permanently puts this dumb red effect on your character regardless of whether the skill is enabled or not, and you can't hide it with the invisible mtx :(

Probably the biggest boost you can get for under 10ex (I paid 8 i think) if you are already pretty heavily invested. It's up roughly half the time if you trigger it right when the meter fills. It might introduce some sustain issues that you need to sort out, but for me it was as simple as the divergent inspiration swap.

Oh yeah, and you're right about the watcher's eye! I recognize it :)
Last edited by VelvetUnicor on Mar 15, 2021, 4:01:30 PM
Kind of finished my boots

Suffixes aren't great, but I needed the cold res and room to craft.
Bit upsetting to be at 4 pierce not 5, but don't want to reroll the ES. If I get some reroll defence crafts i'll fix it.

A perfectly rolled, dual influence +lightning -light res with t1 es mods rare is only coming out slightly more damage and a tiny bit of ES more than a crown, so I stuck with it in the end, now with pen enchant

Got quite a bit of pen now so really should swap out woke light pen from my setup.

Divergent berserk looks like a good idea, I assumed mana sustain would be an issue, but if you can work round it looks like a no brainer. The rage from chain breaker is free movespeed anyway and don't forget berserk acts like fortify too. Might be worth trying to squeeze in a bit more mana regen if I can for even better uptime.

Swapping back to LL to see how the Damage and Feel compares and how much I could squeeze out, focused on having around 3 throws per second (PoB is not able to count in the Throw Speed of the Belt), which means 9 Traps per Second, lost quite a lot of ES, but gained a decent amount of Damage while doing so.

Showcase: https://youtu.be/lVweZCEKuf8
PoB: https://pastebin.com/njg3SpXp
The only logical and appropriate reaction to the Announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-yfpZhSeo
I think it will be my starter and main character in the next league. How much do you think the min-max version costs?

I like expensive builds but with regular progresion - I used to spend around 400-600 ex on the main character in the whole league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info