[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

Spoiler
"
Defiants wrote:
"
donbrawler wrote:

A little hint some of us never ran t16 maps with the level of your gear and such low dps.

I was rank 2 level 100 Vortex this league and I ran t10-13 and delve depth 180-205 until I got to 98. The last two levels I did party leveling because its too good to pass up

This is a league starter build at the core and will get you to red maps very quick.

Alright well, when everything I touch dies instantly I have a hard time understanding how more DPS will stop me from getting one shot. The issue as I see it is a lack of true defensive layers that cause damage reduction, as well as the area that we cause damage being so limited which creates more opportunity for ranged mobs to land hits on you. That said, I did basically everything you suggested, and I'm now sitting at 10,500 ES as well.

All my criticisms remain...

The fact that one of the very first things stated in this build guide is that it's defensive and capable of taking on end-game bosses feels completely dishonest to me. I'm like 50 exalts in and I'm still bloody dying in Tier 15 maps with mediocre modifiers... End game bosses? Yeah, whatever-- if they even look at me the wrong way I die. Vortex as a build offers, from my perspective, absolutely nothing other than pure damage when it comes to boss fights.

"A little hint some of us never ran t16 maps with the level of your gear and such low dps."

Frankly, there are numerous builds that require hardly any investment to clear T16 maps... I was sitting on probably 20 exalt investment at the time you responded there. If twenty exalts doesn't allow you to run T16 maps, that's a glaring issue with your build...

"This is a league starter build at the core"

Yeah man, this is an OK league starter. Not sure why anyone promotes pushing it further than that though. Or why one of the very first descriptions of it in the build guide is that it's a defensive end game boss killer. It's just not very good for end game content. It's not a speed clearer and it struggles with bosses. Typically builds excel at one or the other. Vortex seems to just struggle with either. But yeah, that's really all my point in posting here is. It shouldn't be advertised the way it is. It is not a defensive end game boss killer. Period. Maybe it was better in previous leagues, I can't speak to that. I'm just speaking to roughly 300 hours I've put into it this league.

I was motivated to write this after I died twice in a ten minute span doing two different low percentage Tier:15 maps for Awakening completion. The map modifiers weren't dangerous. Again, I'd have zero issue with any of this if the build wasn't advertised the way it is. I seriously just want to play a defensive build so that I can learn the end game content. Something that, you know, can absorb AT LEAST ONE HIT. If your build cannot absorb AT LEAST ONE HIT then it isn't "defensive". If it's "defensive" because you dodge around and avoid hits because you know all of the game content personally, that's not your build being defensive, that's your personal game knowledge stopping you from countless deaths. Game knowledge that you likely gained playing a more defensive build while the game was less convoluted.

1.7 million people have read the guide. Tens of thousands use it as their league starter every 3 months. Hundreds of people are completing A8 Sirus fights for the first time with the build. Over 2,500 people have joined the Discord in the past year because they found a home with the build.

If you can't look inward and consider the fact that it might not be the build that's the problem, I can't do anything further to help.
Cold DoT For Everyone: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120
"
Defiants wrote:
"
donbrawler wrote:

A little hint some of us never ran t16 maps with the level of your gear and such low dps.

I was rank 2 level 100 Vortex this league and I ran t10-13 and delve depth 180-205 until I got to 98. The last two levels I did party leveling because its too good to pass up

This is a league starter build at the core and will get you to red maps very quick.

Alright well, when everything I touch dies instantly I have a hard time understanding how more DPS will stop me from getting one shot. The issue as I see it is a lack of true defensive layers that cause damage reduction, as well as the area that we cause damage being so limited which creates more opportunity for ranged mobs to land hits on you. That said, I did basically everything you suggested, and I'm now sitting at 10,500 ES as well.

All my criticisms remain...

The fact that one of the very first things stated in this build guide is that it's defensive and capable of taking on end-game bosses feels completely dishonest to me. I'm like 50 exalts in and I'm still bloody dying in Tier 15 maps with mediocre modifiers... End game bosses? Yeah, whatever-- if they even look at me the wrong way I die. Vortex as a build offers, from my perspective, absolutely nothing other than pure damage when it comes to boss fights.

"A little hint some of us never ran t16 maps with the level of your gear and such low dps."

Frankly, there are numerous builds that require hardly any investment to clear T16 maps... I was sitting on probably 20 exalt investment at the time you responded there. If twenty exalts doesn't allow you to run T16 maps, that's a glaring issue with your build...

"This is a league starter build at the core"

Yeah man, this is an OK league starter. Not sure why anyone promotes pushing it further than that though. Or why one of the very first descriptions of it in the build guide is that it's a defensive end game boss killer. It's just not very good for end game content. It's not a speed clearer and it struggles with bosses. Typically builds excel at one or the other. Vortex seems to just struggle with either. But yeah, that's really all my point in posting here is. It shouldn't be advertised the way it is. It is not a defensive end game boss killer. Period. Maybe it was better in previous leagues, I can't speak to that. I'm just speaking to roughly 300 hours I've put into it this league.

I was motivated to write this after I died twice in a ten minute span doing two different low percentage Tier:15 maps for Awakening completion. The map modifiers weren't dangerous. Again, I'd have zero issue with any of this if the build wasn't advertised the way it is. I seriously just want to play a defensive build so that I can learn the end game content. Something that, you know, can absorb AT LEAST ONE HIT. If your build cannot absorb AT LEAST ONE HIT then it isn't "defensive". If it's "defensive" because you dodge around and avoid hits because you know all of the game content personally, that's not your build being defensive, that's your personal game knowledge stopping you from countless deaths. Game knowledge that you likely gained playing a more defensive build while the game was less convoluted.

Seems like you just want to make false complaints and simple fact Vortex got you your first level 96 character. If you want help to fix these issues join discord. But for now until you stop with this none sense time to roast you.

1. You are wasting 14 points on your tree and still not following the POB. Why are you taking useless points on thread of hope wheel?

2. Your clusters are not optimal and not even the suggested clusters from the guide.

3. Your missing Aspect of Spider which also has defensive mechanic and not just for damage.

4. Your ES went up to 10.3k not 10.5k and the changes to tree, items and 4 points wasted to socket (Watchers EYE) you now have less damage then your previous complaint post? Who suggested these changes?

5. Not using Aura effect clusters is big no. Your regen is going to suffer without them.

6. Not using Frost Bomb for Cold Exposure?

7. 50 exalts spent is completely false and your gear is shows it. No dot multi gloves and you want me to believe you spent 50ex? Your belt is 2ex with some fossils thrown at it, and none of your other items should of cost that much. If you would of just ask for advice I could of gotten you 10mil DPS or more with that budget. Your not even at 2mil DPS with 50ex common dude?

8. Why are you using Phase run? This is literally removing your frenzy charges

9. Fact is your not following the guide except for the gear.

This is literally one of the best boss killers and infinitely scalable based on budget and your are just not willing to follow the guide as intended, join discord for help or invest so your complaints are invalid!!

Just watch some these videos of me and others from discord. Does it look like we have no defense?

https://youtu.be/lE0Pd5i3mO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MvFli_BOBA

https://youtu.be/FVkqYEZFC2I
Last edited by donbrawler on Jun 1, 2021, 4:32:19 PM
First time playing vortex (or for that matter an energy shield build or occultist). Build was very strong and would definitely recommend. Here is my stuffs:

Thanks for the guide and the build!
Last edited by Stratos113 on Jun 2, 2021, 6:19:14 AM
"
Stratos113 wrote:
First time playing vortex (or for that matter an energy shield build or occultist). Build was very strong and would definitely recommend. Here is my stuffs:

Thanks for the guide and the build!

There are like 50 things about your version that are fascinating to me. Congrats on your success! How does General's Cry work without being linked to anything in the unset? I'm hoping I'm missing something but idk. Thanks!
Hi, i am thinking of switching to this build but i have concerns about clear speed. Without profane bloom and without area scaling and the „stationary“ aspect of the skill i think clearing will be very teadious. What are your experiences?
"
rnbounty wrote:
Hi, i am thinking of switching to this build but i have concerns about clear speed. Without profane bloom and without area scaling and the „stationary“ aspect of the skill i think clearing will be very teadious. What are your experiences?

I mention all over the place that this isn't the fastest clearing build, but it's far from tedious. We don't have a rotation needed to do all our damage like some slam builds, and enemies that aggro into our Vortex die quickly. For a melee-range build I think most people clear fairly well. Just don't expect to compete with Burning Arrow.
Hi, i am thinking to try this build out and dont have much experience with ES based builds or Occultist, i only played a ED/C Occultist last league to farm legion. So i have a few questions, currently i have a Bleed EQ Glad for bossing that i dont want to push anymore and i dont like the weaponswap in this build.

1 How good can i compare these two build, the vortex Occ is probably not so tanky as my Glad with max block so i dont can facetank diebeams or meteors.

2 How does it perform in Heists, Ultimatums and Delve?

3 I want to start getting into crafting, is crafting for this build something i can start with or do i need more crafting experience?
Last edited by IVIrCrews on Jun 2, 2021, 1:27:00 PM
"
ShakCentral wrote:

There are like 50 things about your version that are fascinating to me. Congrats on your success! How does General's Cry work without being linked to anything in the unset? I'm hoping I'm missing something but idk. Thanks!

Ah. Initially that was just a cheap elder ring I used to level up empower gems. On the last day I found the general cry and though I'd level that up to sell (turns out I didn't have enough str anyway).
Hi I'm pretty new in PoE and I still don't understand all mechanics.
Can someone tell me what in my equipment i should change in first place? I cant default sirius :(

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/skub4niec2/characters
"
skub4niec2 wrote:
Hi I'm pretty new in PoE and I still don't understand all mechanics.
Can someone tell me what in my equipment i should change in first place? I cant default sirius :(

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/skub4niec2/characters

You have pretty much the same equipment as me and are a level higher, you should be able to do sirus with no problems. I haven't tried it past awakening level 7 yet but i did it deathless for now. You probably just need to practice the fight, try to watch a boss guide too to understand all the mechanics.
Have you ever killed him before? How many times did you try to fight him in total? What awakening level were those?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info