[3.8] CI Mjolner CoC Ball Lightning Assassin - up to 6M Shaper DPS, 11k ES, 5k+ ES Recovery/s

Is there a big difference between this and CoC Ice Nova? I'm assuming the clear is faster, less survivability, and less single target on Ice Nova or am I wrong on that?
"
faytte wrote:
So for anyone not wanting to shell out for unnatural instinct, is really does not seem worth while in this build. If you build toward Retribution (which most passive builds I've seen include) then instead of spending the three passive points to move from Harrier to unlock the Unnatural Instinct gem slot, you can instead just buy the 3 Green nodes south of Retribution (two 'Attack and Cast Speed, Accuracy' nodes and the large 'Precision' node).

By comparison:
Unnatural Instinct would net you:
5 Int
5 Dex
14% spell damage
13% attack speed
24% accuracy
9% movement speed

Buying the three suggested nodes above gives you:
20 Dex
22% accuracy
12% attack speed
4% movement speed

1% attack speed does not change anything in PoB, and the 2% difference in accuracy does not seem to alter anything (semi made up bu the extra 30 accuracy the extra dex gives in the nodes)

4 exalts does not seem like a wise purchase for 14% spell damage and 5% movement speed.

As a general question, is it really worth the 4 points to get retribution?
I don't know how good the 2 10% aoe nodes I'd have to take to get it are and it kind of seems like a waste.
Currently using 3 points in arcane swiftness instead since it's 9% more dps (3% per point) which seems like a decent return.
Last edited by blingi on Jan 4, 2020, 4:51:05 PM
"
blingi wrote:

I don't know how good the 2 10% aoe nodes I'd have to take to get it are and it kind of seems like a waste.
Currently using 3 points in arcane swiftness instead since it's 9% more dps (3% per point) which seems like a decent return.

The wiki has this calculator linked if you want to see if its worth it in your case(File menu - Make a copy, then just fill in):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rz9F8-PfsijZ_kNUNWURiRQabMCRbuaVGaLTie_oLDw/edit?usp=sharing

Probably will add slightly less damage because this likely considers the optimal case(so the ball is cast the farthest away from the mob). I would say its something like 2-3% more damage per radius.
Last edited by metamo666 on Jan 4, 2020, 5:33:10 PM
"
metamo666 wrote:
"
blingi wrote:

The wiki has this calculator linked if you want to see if its worth it(File menu - Make a copy, then just fill in):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rz9F8-PfsijZ_kNUNWURiRQabMCRbuaVGaLTie_oLDw/edit?usp=sharing

Probably will add slightly less damage because this likely considers the optimal case(so the ball is cast the farthest away from the mob).

Thanks.

Just crafted this for a total cost of around 5 ex.
I feel like I got pretty lucky since I didn't see any other ones with 300+ ES and -lightning resistance to nearby enemies on trade.

Also I found an old reddit post saying that the additional projectiles from helmet enchant can't damage the same enemy as the original ball lightning (just like GMP and LMP) so that helmet enchant would only add to clear area and leech. DPS wise 40% increased damage is better.
Last edited by blingi on Jan 4, 2020, 6:35:21 PM
Just wondering if it's worth running a second Awakened Elemental Focus support on the Mjolnir rather than Energy Leech - anyone tested and noticed a drop in survivability?
"
Frieske1 wrote:
Just wondering if it's worth running a second Awakened Elemental Focus support on the Mjolnir rather than Energy Leech - anyone tested and noticed a drop in survivability?

You should only use energy leech until you have it on the tree(Soul thief/Light eater). After that it doesn't really do much, especially with the thread of hope setup.
Last edited by metamo666 on Jan 4, 2020, 6:35:53 PM
"
metamo666 wrote:
"
Frieske1 wrote:

You should only use energy leech until you have it on the tree(Soul thief/Light eater). After that it doesn't really do much, especially with the thread of hope setup.

Yeah I'm running both of those on the tree. Not using a Thread of Hope setup at the moment - thought about it but not too sure if it's worth for me
Last edited by Frieske1 on Jan 4, 2020, 6:44:34 PM
Or perhaps a level 5 Awakened Added Lightning Damage in the chest and move the Awakened Elemental Focus into Mjolnir? Unsure right now..
"
blingi wrote:
"
faytte wrote:
So for anyone not wanting to shell out for unnatural instinct, is really does not seem worth while in this build. If you build toward Retribution (which most passive builds I've seen include) then instead of spending the three passive points to move from Harrier to unlock the Unnatural Instinct gem slot, you can instead just buy the 3 Green nodes south of Retribution (two 'Attack and Cast Speed, Accuracy' nodes and the large 'Precision' node).

By comparison:
Unnatural Instinct would net you:
5 Int
5 Dex
14% spell damage
13% attack speed
24% accuracy
9% movement speed

Buying the three suggested nodes above gives you:
20 Dex
22% accuracy
12% attack speed
4% movement speed

1% attack speed does not change anything in PoB, and the 2% difference in accuracy does not seem to alter anything (semi made up bu the extra 30 accuracy the extra dex gives in the nodes)

4 exalts does not seem like a wise purchase for 14% spell damage and 5% movement speed.

While the aoe nodes are not as effective, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) getting our attack speed as close to 6.06 without going over is pretty big, as this is the limiter to how many procs we have in a given time and scales a bit like a 'more' modifier with hard points than anything else.

That said going from 5 to 6 casts a second is only 13% 'more', so maybe its not worth shooting for that goal? I'm stumped.

If you don't go for those nodes however, you will have an accuracy issue without an unnatural instinct, and Retribution is a nice node in any case.
Last edited by faytte on Jan 4, 2020, 8:23:58 PM
I am admittedly terrible at using POB effectively, but I can't seem to figure out how anyone gets near 6 APS. It always tells me I am at around 4.

Maybe I dont check off right things. Idk.

Does anyone have a very good up to date POB link to share that I can compare with?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info