[3.7] Ultimate EDTrickster [2M dps - UNKILLABLE] (ALL content, Monolith destruction)

■ Welcome to this guide, exile! ■

This is my take on ED-Contagion trickster. It took on all content in the game in 1.5 weeks, around 55 hours played at the time. It focuses on much more defenses than other ED guides you will find out there, while achieving similar to higher damage numbers. While there are many other ED guides out there, the concepts shown here are the ones that prove to work best overall to clear the most game content. Most of them are nothing new, but this guide compiles the best ones to provide a well rounded character for all content.

I have played more than 250 hours of ED trickster in legion and have carried more than 70 uber elders, most of them deathless.

PoB:
Spoiler

End Game Setup: https://pastebin.com/gaBxHSK9
10ex uber elder setup: https://pastebin.com/HdCce70y
3ex shaper viable setup: https://pastebin.com/7eGJV6Fk

Compilation PoB by Prolix: https://pastebin.com/zShV8UMd

■ Build Overview ■

This build has around 1.1M ED dps, 7-8k EHP and 2k effective regeneration per second.
AS any ed build, it relies on Essence drain and contagion for map clear and regeneration. It also has a 6 free sockets in your chest where you can put any chaos dot skill (soulrend or bane) to effectively double your dps (2M total dps with soulrend).

It differs from other ED tricksters by being EXTREMELY TANKY, utilizing many defense layers to be very durable. It is hardcore viable.

■ Videos ■

Spoiler

There's not much here yet, I'll work on it.

T17 Uber elder week 1 deathless (trash gear)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jciHSbYh5FA
Extra cold + ignite + damage AUL (1st try)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-rt1Q1HdA

■ Build Concept ■

Spoiler

■ OFFENSE ■

This is a chaos DOT build. There is absolutely nothing special. We scale spell damage, chaos damage, damage over time and most importantly: chaos DOT multiplier.
We are NOT lowlife based so we are missing a quarter of the maximum theoretical ED damage, bu we more than make up for it in survivability. Lowlife also quickly becomes expensive.

We also socket our gems in +x to level of socketed gems uniques and rares, to boost the base DOT of essence drain. They are items such as:

Overall, there isn't many ways to scale our damage, as only the following are possible:
- All increased damage sources (spell, dot, chaos...)
- Chaos damage over time multiplier
- ED gems level
- Increased chaos damage taken by enemies
- Lowlife for pain attunement
And we scale all of these, except lowlife. While one could argue we can always fit a bit more increased damage sources, we're already above 800% total increased. It is difficult to get significantly more.

■ DEFENSE ■

Now, the spicy part!
Here are all of our defense layers:

MAXIMUM DODGE: a lot of people have been saying it's bad, lately. That it doesn't prevent oneshots and is just giving you a false sense of security. These people are the ones taking acrobatics on the tree and calling it "heavy investment". They have30-40% dodge, they dodge one hit every three. We have 75% dodge, we dodge 3 hits every 4.
This is the difference.
45% evasion: on top of 75% dodge, we also have 45% chance to evade. On top of other small avoidance sources we also take, we end up having above 90% chance to not get hit when we're supposed to.
Large EHP pool: We have 5.1k life and 2.5k es as MoM hybrid. ES is always up because of ghost dance and Wicked ward, both giving up big ES recovery. We stack faster ES recharge start to make wicked ward almost always active.

20% phys mitigation: name says it all. We permanently have 3 endurance charges, and pantheon gives us up to 8% additional.
Blind and chill: We blind and chill bosses. I can facetank deadly Minotaurs. It's situational, but really strong if you know how to use it. These come from our flasks, and can (should, probably) be used by most builds. Note that the blind chance is not used in avoidance calculations in this guide as it is highly situational.
240% movement speed: really fast. We are hard to hit and can easily dodge telegraphed attacks such as syndicate haku/janus slams. (some of them will still hit you, but it's no problem since we have other defense layers. Just get hit 4head.) This amount of movement speed is nothing special as most builds can achieve it, but feels really nice with ED trickster as ED's playstyle allows us to be running almost all of the time instead of casting things.

■ Pros and cons ■

Spoiler

■ PROS ■
■ Fast mapper
■ All endgame bosses viable, including deep delve bosses.
■ Hardcore viable
■ Cheap, clear upgrade path. Shaper 3EX, uber elder 8EX.
■ OBLITERATES monoliths. AMAZING for glacier farming.
■ CONS ■
■ Doesn't do the DEEPEST delve bosses (4+ mods depth 1300 auls will kill you, but that's not really a build problem...)
■ You are a meta slave
■ Performs really poorly in the timeless domain

These pros and cons are pretty much what you would expect from any ED build. Here are other options for ED/contagion that are also great in what they do:
■ Zeel's amplifier deadeye: If you only want to farm t2 glaciers, this is the best choice. Insane aoe and speed from ascendancy, can't be beaten. The dps is much lower than a trickster of course, and it is a very squishy setup. But it clears glaciers very very well.
■ LowLife occultist or trickster: Lowlife doesn't synergise very well with trickster. That said, the limited damage scaling options mean LowLife will still be the best damage. Be warned that the damage isn't much higher, and LL trickster feels really squishy. I don't know how occultist feels, it could be an option.
■ Full tank trickster: it is possible to achieve really high tankyness by using a shield and swapping a few setups. We're looking at 11k ehp+ with 60% dodge and 45% block. Since we cannot use an ED bow, we cannot scale gem leves as efficiently and the damage is more or less divided by 3. ED's damage is already kind of low, you're reaching at most 400k singletarget with this. It just isn't worth it in my opinion.

If you want a good allrounded build that clears fast, has most of the damage scaling options available and can facetank the world, this is most likely the guide for you.

■ Gear, gems and explanations ■

Spoiler

Finally, the core of the guide!

My gear for reference:
Spoiler

■ Equipment

■ Flasks

■ Jewels

■ Boots

MATATL's boots with up to 12% attack dodge are best in slot. They always come with 30% movement speed. Try to get life and resistances on top of the dodge/MS mod. A bad pair of boots with just MALTATL's prefix and some life will be good enough for uber elder, don't stress it too much.
GEMS: I recommend placing a 4l wither totem here. If you can't afford red sockets or strength for increased duration, use faster casting instead. Don't use blight totems, it's lower range, worse hinder and takes a jewel slot. It's a noob trap.
ENCHANT: Movement speed or Regeneration. I prefer movement speed.

■ Weapon

This is the only piece of gear you should invest in up to uber elder. While the rest of items you wear can be 2 chaos trash, this one is important!
If you are on a budget, get a 4-5 links Cane of unraveling.
You should upgrade to a 6L one to do shaper. If you don't own a level 3 or 4 empower, use decay support instead.

Your endgame weapon should be an ED BOW and soul strike for better energy shield sustain. You can get a 6l base to craft on using divination cards. Roll +1 gems using alterations, regal-annul to make it rare and multimod. The crafts will cost you 4ex, the base around 2 to 3 ex.

GEMS: There's no variation when it comes to ED. You may replace Empower by decay as stated above, but empower will be much better as soon as you have the ED BOW.

■ Gloves

If you are on a budget, life and resists will do up to uber elder. If you have a bit more to spend, elder gloves with chaos multiplier are great.
GEMS: These games provide the most cast speed and AOE to contagion. There is no variation possible.
ENCHANT: Of SPITE. Chills enemies around you when you get hit. awesome. Of LIGHT is also a somewhat decent choice but almost never actually triggers.

■ Helmet

Very cheap and difficult to beat! +1 gems allows us to have an additional level on enlighten as well as slightly boosted auras. It also gives the most ES out of any unique helmets, and also provides a lot of evasion. Best in slot, unless you obtain some truly insane rare hubris circlet. Martyr crown's is a good 1alch unique if you don't have access to vertex for some reason. I killed uber elder with it, it works. Just get high Energy shield to synergise with your ascendancy:

GEMS: Auras linked to enlighten. Flame dash should be linked for the mana cost reduction. You don't need enlighten at all if you don't run aspect of the spider.
ENCHANT: Don't bother, too expensive...

■ Body armor

This pretty much best in slot. A very good rare will beat it, but Hyrri's Ire is the best chest available for the build. It has insane evasion, giving us 500 flat ES from our ascendancy.
The dodge and spell dodge are also really cool, allowing us to reach dodge cap. Perfect form is an other option, but does not offer as many benefits as Hyrri's Ire. I'll go over it in the "popular alternatives" section.
GEMS: I personally use a 5L soulrend for situations that need it (read: almost none). This is handy when there's an "allies cannot die" rare or totem in a pack, or to boost single target. A CWDT setup is also a viable option, and probably the one I will go for. Blight could also be an option because infused chanelling is a thing, but is a bit lower damage, as you can't really expect to reach 20 blight stacks.

■ Rings

Life, resists. The usual. Try to get +1 Min endurance charge if possible, it is a massive survivability boost.

This is our way to generate endurance charges.

■ Amulet

Again, aim for life, resists, and an endurance charge. You may also minmax it by having a chaos multiplier elder mod, but that's way more expensive. Not needed for uber elder, just get life and resistances.
Once again, I cannot stress how good +1 min endurance is for a single suffix if you are rescapped already.

■ Belt

Stygian vise with an onslaught jewel. On the belt itself, life and reduced flask charges used. This is a good spot to put aspect of the spider.

■ Jewels

On rare jewels, aim for LIFE at all costs, then any damage source that affects you, like in any other build.

Green nightmare is a good option in the late game, as it gives frenzy charges on kill and a bit of dodge chance to reach cap without flasks. The 3% it gives puts us at 70% flat, which goes up to 75% with lunaris pantheon. Don't forget dodge as increasing returns for each point you get, so you really want to reach that magic 75% cap.

Watcher's eye is really expensive this league, but pretty cool. The mod you are looking for is chaos multi while affected by malevolence. Due to the price, this should be one of your last upgrades. It boosts your damage by around 7% compared to a normal rare jewel.

Lethal pride gives us strength. We need 111 to run increased duration. Lethal pride can add 4% life on nearby nodes, try to get as much strength (flat life) and 4ù hp increases as you can by divining it. I personally have 2 strength nodes and one +4% life node.

Unique jewels placement
Spoiler

On lethal pride, aim for Strength and life notables. Fire res and totem placement speed are nice quality of life as well but should not be the focus.
My jewel gives:

■ Flasks

Classic flasks setup. Aquamaring is a 4uses flask with a belt mod, and synergises very well with the build. It also lasts 6.30 seconds, giving a total uptime of 25 seconds. It is basically always up, even on bosses. I would consider this better than a basalt. Witchfire brew is a must have, insane damage boost.

If you don't like the aquamarine setup, you may use a jade flask for additional evasion or a basalt for additional physical damage mitigation.

■ Passive tree ■
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.7.3/AAAABAYCAQQHBbUG5wceCPQOSA-rES0RUBGWFr8ajRvIHNwfQSLqIvQkiyaIJpUsnDBxMgEzozY9OZk6QjpYPLZFnUkTSVFJsUt4TINMs1KvU1JVS1XGWyZcQFxrXY5d8l5FYeJh62KsZ_xqQ2qMbAtsjG0ZcNR0gXWedoJ8g3_Gf_uCHoPbhEiExYUyh8uJ4Iw2jb-PGo_6kx-TJ5Uul5WX9JhTmuCbtZ2qoS-io6LZo6OkBacrp5usmK1KsNiyGbTRtUi3MLkCvOq-isHzwzrDbcgMyBTKWc8Vz3rP3dAf0UXUI9fP2jvbC92o5ljoWujW6-7viO_r8NXxivVv99f5N_mk-us=

BANDITS: kill all of them! 2 passive points is better than anything they give.

■ Pantheon ■

Spoiler

■ Leveling ■

Spoiler

Leveling is surprisingly smooth, as blight got massively buffed.
It is a great League starter, but will not be the fastest.

Level 4-12:
Spoiler

Grab blight in act one after killing hillock. Try to get a 3link setup with the following support gems:

All these gems are purchaseable from Nessa in act 1 after killing Hillrake and getting a quicksilver flask.
Skill tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.7.3/AAAABAYAAAbnFr8mlWHiaox2gqLZpAWw2LTRtUjIDMgU9W8=

Level 12-30:
Spoiler

Upgrade your blight setup with a 4 link if you can with:

Grab essence drain to boost your single target, but blight is still clearing well at this point. Try to grab a 3link essence drain:

Also, kill all bandits for 2 passive points.
You should start to have close to capped resistances at this point, aim for 75% all elemental resistances. Chaos res doesn't matter.

At this point, you might start to have a few alchs worth of currency to spend, consider buying these cheap uniques:

Skill tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.7.3/AAAABAYAAAbnD6sWvxvIH0EkiyaVNj1JE1VLXfJh4mqMbIx2gongjDaTH5hTnaqi2aQFsNi00bVIuQLDOsgMyBTmWPVv

Level 31-60:
Spoiler

At around level 30 (start of act 4), I would recommend starting to use contagion and essence drain combo. Drop blight and use a 4l essence drain:

as well as a 4 (drop faster casting if you have only 3 links) links contagion:

Now is a good time to start to invest in dodge on the tree, start by taking 40% with acrobatics. Eldritch battery might also help with your mana issues if you have some ES on your gear. Use malevolence and discipline (swap discipline for purity of elements if you don't have enough resistances):

Skill tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.7.3/AAAABAYCAAW1BucHHg5ID6sRlha_G8gfQSLqJIsmiCaVMHEyATY9OkJJE0lRS3hVS12OXfJeRWHiaoxsjHDUdoJ_xoIeieCMNo2_kx-VLphTnaqio6LZpAWw2LIZtNG1SLcwuQLB88M6yAzIFM961CPbC92o5ljoWujW8NX1b_mk-us=

Level 60-early endgame:
Spoiler

If you own a 5link setup, use:

Now is a good time to do the first 3 labs. See ascendancy choices in the passive skill tree.
At level 62, you can start using the vertex to boost your auras a bit:

Your next upgrade should be a 5l cane of unraveling, this will allow you to clear up to red maps easely:

Notice that we don't take mind over matter. Take it when you have at least 2000 energy shield. This will happen when you obtain Hyrri's ire, most likely:

Skill tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.7.3/AAAABAYCAAQHBbUG5wceCPQOSA-rEZYWvxvIH0Ei6iL0JIsmiCaVLJwwcTIBM6M2PTpCOlhJE0lRSbFLeEyDTLNSr1VLVcZcQF2OXfJeRWHiZ_xqQ2qMbAtsjG0ZcNR0gXWedoJ_xoIeg9uHy4ngjDaNv4_6kx-TJ5Uul5WX9JhTnaqio6LZpAWnm6yYrUqw2LIZtNG1SLcwuQK86sHzwzrIDMgUzxXPetQj18_aO9sL3ajmWOha6NbviPDV9W_31_k3-aT66w==

■ Popular alternatives ■

Spoiler

Work in progress, sorry.
Information is also available in the thread pages, if you want to read salty me explaining why some popular options are really not so great overall.
Last edited by Darkxellmc on Jul 20, 2019, 8:22:59 AM
Last bumped on Jul 21, 2019, 1:15:51 AM
RESERVED
a POB would be great
"
heehaw2002 wrote:
a POB would be great

My profile Is public, but yeah, I'll add one.
Could you post leveling steps please. Cheers
Duplicate::::
Last edited by vosszaa on Jul 6, 2019, 6:54:56 PM
Added a leveling section. Leveling is piss easy with this, but not very fast. It's pretty much the same for any Chaos dot shadow, so there's that.
Could you explain further your choice of the Green Nightmare Jewel, while I see the value of it, it looks like something you spec into as your last few points. Also, judging from your pictures, your lethal pride jewel appears to only be giving you extra strength, 4% life and some armour, am I missing something here?
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Jul 7, 2019, 12:06:35 PM
Thanks for the guide. I've been reading through ED/C builds for awhile now, and I think this one looks pretty great.

I wanted to refer to the 3ex, 10ex, and endgame item sets side by side, so I made a single PoB that contains all three of them. Under the "Items" section of PoB, I can just flip between three different Item Sets now, instead of having to navigate between three different builds.

I also compiled the three passive skill trees (111, 116, and 120 points).

Here is a pastebin import code for that PoB: https://pastebin.com/zShV8UMd

Figured I would share this compilation in case others want to see all three imports at once as well. I put a link to this thread in the "Notes" section and tried to make it clear that it's all Darkxellmc's work, and I just made a combination PoB out of the 3 provided in the OP. Hopefully that's alright. Or if Dark actually likes this idea and wants to run with it, feel free to do so.
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
Could you explain further your choice of the Green Nightmare Jewel, while I see the value of it, it looks like something you spec into as your last few points. Also, judging from your pictures, your lethal pride jewel appears to only be giving you extra strength, 4% life and some armour, am I missing something here?

Yes, that's indeed something I grabbed very late, around 94-95. It is pretty expensive in terms of passive points (costing 5 points total), but I think it is worth it.

Frenzies are a great damage and mapping speed boost for the build. I originally had them on my jewelry, but I prefer having 3 permanent endurances for the tankiness it provides. Green nightmare is a good solution to generate frenzies, as other ways are impractical.

Green nightmare also conveniently puts us at 70% base dodge, which means we get capped (75%) from our pantheon. Without it, you need your quartz flask to be up all the time. Even tho we have 3 uses of quartz flasks, it isn't reliable enough for my liking.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info