[3.11] Bowcaster Fireball Deadeye - Now for staves!

"
Direyx wrote:
"
Also, when you also figure the damage loss from changing elemental focus out to another lower damage support to enable scorch

is crit multi support + scorch way worse than elemental focus? getting a really well rolled crit multi jewel is pretty expensive

Crit jewels are expensive if you are buying a finished 4 mod jewel. However, you can buy a 3 mod and finish it yourself pretty easily, especially with targeted harvest crafts being a thing. You don't necessarily need a perfect jewel with 3 crit mods. If you find a jewel with increased cast that is also good for dps, as well as making the build even faster to play, and speed is our biggest defense for this build. You can also look for a "bricked" jewel with 4 mods where one is bad, but you can target it with the harvest remove/add crafts. I would be happy with any jewel that has 2 crit multipliers, and then any combination of other useful mods.

Increased critical damage support is pretty bad in general since it has diminishing returns when you already have lots of crit multi. We will get in the ballpark of 450-500% crit multiplier from the tree and gear, so the 100% additional multiplier from the support barely works out to 20% more damage.
"
it has diminishing returns when you already have lots of crit multi

I noticed that. im at 570 crit multi right now with the multi support gem. I guess i'm gonna drop rolling flames, get a jewel with some crit multi + cast speed and use elemental focus again.

I just saw that you specced some reserved mana. Which auras are you trying to fit in your endgame build? I really would like to use zealotry (since i only have 43% crit rate right now) but anger gives a really good amount of damage.
I'm using anger, herald of ash, discipline and precision right now.
so what are the dream stats on a crafted staff? I assume Eclipse base.

In order of priority:
- +3 fire gems
- +2 support gems

I think so far it's clear but then it gets iffy because I am not experienced enough to know what the order or priority is between:
- spell damage
- fire damage
- added fire damage to spells
- spell crit
- double damage
- cast speed(/arcane surge)

what do you think?

also: I am levelling this right now (~50ish atm) and it feel so incredibly bad still lol, especially single target. I mean no wonder, with all the travelling you have to do early on as a Ranger you get like no damage until much later. And Deadeye gives you no damage early on.

Levelling as a Caster Deadeye Fireball was a very very bad idea but I almost always level with the skill I use endgame, because I like the feeling of getting progressively stronger. However, not much of this has happened yet. Anybody got any tips maybe?
ign: PhrozenFlame
Last edited by cocomoloco on Jun 30, 2020, 7:52:04 AM
"
In order of priority:
- +3 fire gems
- +2 support gems

I think so far it's clear but then it gets iffy because I am not experienced enough to know what the order or priority is between:
- spell damage
- fire damage
- spell crit
- double damage

what do you think?

I wouldn't value "+2 support gems" on staff that high. Sure, +3 fire gems is a no brainer and after that it's kinda tricky for me too. I feel like i'm overvaluating "added fire damage" due to the changes to fireball. If that's the case then i would focus on
- spell/fire damage
- crit chance
- cast speed

The priority between crit chance and cast speed is hard to tell for me because i don't feel like you're ever going to have "enough" crit chance on this build and having a good cast speed roll on a staff feels mandatory too cause you can get so much (30% or more).

"
also: I am levelling this right now (~50ish atm) and it feel so incredibly bad still lol, especially single target. I mean no wonder, with all the travelling you have to do early on as a Ranger you get like no damage until much later. And Deadeye gives you no damage early on.

Levelling as a Caster Deadeye Fireball was a very very bad idea but I almost always level with the skill I use endgame, because I like the feeling of getting progressively stronger. However, not much of this has happened yet. Anybody got any tips maybe?

I usually level mit the skill im using in end game as well but this time it was just too bad for a starter. I leveled with a bow. Once i dropped a tabula and got EB i converted to FB. At this point my clear is pretty good (T14-15 Maps) but single target still feels pretty bad on a multi proj setup. I get the job done by switching to slower proj but even then it's far away from great single target damage. I just think this build is really bad for a starter, especially when you don't have the time anymore to grind everyday for 8+ hours.

"
Direyx wrote:
"
it has diminishing returns when you already have lots of crit multi

I noticed that. im at 570 crit multi right now with the multi support gem. I guess i'm gonna drop rolling flames, get a jewel with some crit multi + cast speed and use elemental focus again.

I just saw that you specced some reserved mana. Which auras are you trying to fit in your endgame build? I really would like to use zealotry (since i only have 43% crit rate right now) but anger gives a really good amount of damage.
I'm using anger, herald of ash, discipline and precision right now.

Zealotry+Anger+Discipline+Herald of Ash

If you get a Watcher's Eye with Precision mod, and a little extra reduction to reserved mana, then you can also run a low level Precision primarily for the Watcher's Eye bonus.
"
Direyx wrote:
"
In order of priority:
- +3 fire gems
- +2 support gems

- spell damage
- fire damage
- spell crit
- double damage

what do you think?

I wouldn't value "+2 support gems" on staff that high. Sure, +3 fire gems is a no brainer and after that it's kinda tricky for me too. I feel like i'm overvaluating "added fire damage" due to the changes to fireball. If that's the case then i would focus on
- spell/fire damage
- crit chance
- cast speed

The priority between crit chance and cast speed is hard to tell for me because i don't feel like you're ever going to have "enough" crit chance on this build and having a good cast speed roll on a staff feels mandatory too cause you can get so much (30% or more).

"

I usually level mit the skill im using in end game as well but this time it was just too bad for a starter. I leveled with a bow. Once i dropped a tabula and got EB i converted to FB. At this point my clear is pretty good (T14-15 Maps) but single target still feels pretty bad on a multi proj setup. I get the job done by switching to slower proj but even then it's far away from great single target damage. I just think this build is really bad for a starter, especially when you don't have the time anymore to grind everyday for 8+ hours.

+3 fire gems and cast speed are best affixes on a staff. The gem levels because they give so much damage, and cast speed not just for its damage but also because if you stack enough you don't even feel the delay of multiple casts with spell echo. Crit chance as a suffix on the staff is probably the weakest of the useful affixes we can hit.

I haven't been playing much, to be honest, because the league hasn't felt very exciting for me. GGG has also made the harvest crafts very grindy to acquire so I am kind of burned out on my intial strategy for crafting a staff. However, I think a viable method to craft a really good staff still remains. You can alt spam an eclipse staff until you hit +2 all spell gem levels. This takes around 1500 alts on average, but they have not been expensive so far this league. It's under 1ex cost to do this. Then you need to regal. If you get a second prefix, craft one more prefix to get 3 total. If you didn't hit a second prefix, you can still try slam/harvest aug until it is full. That allows you to use the the harvest fractured craft on prefixes, which is a 1/3 chance to fracture the +2 spell gem levels. That will take 3 attempts on average, but once you lock it, you can spam with scorched fossils until you hit +3 fire gems. That will give you a +5 gem levels staff that you can then finish crafting as you please, for example multimod with cast speed/arcane surge and spell damage/extra chaos damage, and try to aug a good crit suffix to complete it. Normally +5 gem level staves sell for upward of 100 ex, and you can do this crafting strategy for far, far less. Another option, rather than craft cast speed/arcane surge, would be to try harvest speed crafts to get a really good cast speed suffix, but those crafts are rarer and may cost a bit to buy. However, if you do go that route you can craft double damage instead, which will give more damage than crit chance. You'd then use Command of the Pit to get arcane surge.
Last edited by MagnusParvus on Jun 30, 2020, 4:42:18 PM
Hi and thanks for the build, im trying it in SSF actually and it's good, just need to switch to staff.
Just wanna ask a question about Cluster jewel, a cobalt crit jewel is better than all cluster jewel? I've just looted a Large with % fire damage and using it but maybe it's not worth.
Last edited by Zibou37 on Jul 1, 2020, 6:16:36 AM
"
Zibou37 wrote:
Hi and thanks for the build, im trying it in SSF actually and it's good, just need to switch to staff.
Just wanna ask a question about Cluster jewel, a cobalt crit jewel is better than all cluster jewel? I've just looted a Large with % fire damage and using it but maybe it's not worth.

I don't think the large fire cluster jewels are particularly good for this build. Many of the nodes only apply to ignite builds, and the ones that give % increased damage just aren't that strong when you consider the travel cost. The main issue I see with cluster jewels is that we already have access to pretty much everything we need right on the passive tree. Even if you get a perfect 8-passive, 2 socket large jewel, which is the most efficient, it eats into other points that we would have allocated on the tree without really providing a great deal extra.
Last edited by MagnusParvus on Jul 1, 2020, 5:32:03 PM
bro which bandit
"
HardWeapon wrote:
bro which bandit

I helped Alira for the crit multi and all res. However, if you are already overcapped on resistances you may want to kill all instead and use the points somewhere else.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info