Designing the Legion Jewels - Part Two

The saddest part is how anti-caster are these jewels, literally except 1 keystone (gain spellpower per power charge, swap frenzy charges into power charges) everything else is useless to energy shield / spellcaster builds.

I know this is "we want you to play melee" league but still... I'd expect jewels provide options for every type of build.

Also even if a keystone somewhat fits into the build, spending:
1. a keystone
2. a jewel slot
3. easily 5-7 respec points out of your build to path towards one of these sweet spots where jewel is in a range of a keystone
is often too much.

That's why you see so many melee use Karui jewels just on the notables completely ignoring the keystone. Sacrificing a keystone slot would be an ok price. But having to cut out 5+ points from your main build is often not worth the tradeoff.
"
Viktranka wrote:
The saddest part is how anti-caster are these jewels, literally except 1 keystone (gain spellpower per power charge, swap frenzy charges into power charges) everything else is useless to energy shield / spellcaster builds.

I know this is "we want you to play melee" league but still... I'd expect jewels provide options for every type of build.

Also even if a keystone somewhat fits into the build, spending:
1. a keystone
2. a jewel slot
3. easily 5-7 respec points out of your build to path towards one of these sweet spots where jewel is in a range of a keystone
is often too much.

That's why you see so many melee use Karui jewels just on the notables completely ignoring the keystone. Sacrificing a keystone slot would be an ok price. But having to cut out 5+ points from your main build is often not worth the tradeoff.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but most of the new keystones are defensive. I can fit most of them just as easily into a caster build as an attacking build.
Welcome to Wraeclast... Well what are you waiting for?
Time To WRECK SHIT

flame totem - knockback + max dodge chance = NANANANANANANA CANT TOUCH THIS
"
gigaomega101 wrote:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but most of the new keystones are defensive. I can fit most of them just as easily into a caster build as an attacking build.
Show me one that would fit into CI ES build, I was thinking of buying a jewel and keeping it for my CI character that is now in standard, and literally none of them fit.

Not even mentioning how Karui jewels naturally enhance strength builds, Maraketh do the same for dexterity, but there's no intellect counterpart.

Vaal / eternal empire is really hard to know beforehand what they do, as you can't even preview notables before you slot them in. Which makes them often not worth the risk of investment. Meanwhile any melee can slot a Karui jewel under the duelist area and never lose anything, and 90% of the time get a clear benefit.
Having read some of the Cartoons for Wraeclast I understand that possibly Karui refers to melee jewel and Maraketh into Ranged jewels...

HOWEVER - we are into third week into league and people have literally given up efforts to try to even find a good jewel...

Is this going to be yet another league for 1% of playerbase - where the rest 99% will never get involved with league mechanics.

Could you atleast Explain the main Jewel type iterations and what they refer to... Like Elegant, Karui, Maraketh, Templar and so on... Maybe we could get started with that.
Who Are We? Where do we come from?
"
Cudez wrote:
Could you atleast Explain the main Jewel type iterations and what they refer to... Like Elegant, Karui, Maraketh, Templar and so on... Maybe we could get started with that.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Timeless_Jewel

The annoying part is Vaal / Empire / Templar remove your normal talents and replace with something that might... or might not... be useful to your build and you have no way of checking before paying for the jewel and slotting it in.

Karui / Maraketh add to your nodes, so if node says 8% hp new node will say "8% hp +20 strength" or "8% hp 20% burning damage" etc. you never lose anything, worst case you found mods that weren't useful, list of possible mods is on the linked page, you can divine the jewel until you hit some good ones like "20% melee crit multiplier".

Empire is also gimnicky in the way it removes all your small nodes, so you need to hit something good otherwise it's not worth losing all your stats especially for a build that requires 155 in multiple stats to fulfill skill gem requirements (thanks GGG for making every defensive skill require 155 strength, that's exactly what my squishy int / dex chars needed to help them in combat).

Templar requires to plan your whole build around it because every notable requires 150 devotion in radius and other nodes add 5/10 devotion so you have to plan the whole area around it to gather enough devotion so it even works. Good luck planning your character beforehand. I had to respec my character to even tick the achievement because apparently in my 2 normal jewel slots none of the notables were transformed, it was always some node I didn't have (contrary to other jewels that alter all notables templars seem to have just 1 in the vicinity of the jewel).

I think many of these jewels just don't fit well into a situation you can't preview them and you can't respec freely to alter your build to test different stuff. Karui fits quite well into strength based melee builds, but for example Vaal... hitting a gg jewel like the ones people post in reddit (triple aura buff nodes! hah!) is gonna be more rare than dropping a gg mod watcher's eye.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info