Cyclone

"
Real_Wolf wrote:
"
boomingno wrote:
The new minimum distance would be great... if the manacost had been lowered. However the manacost is unchanged, and quite frankly I preferred the original version very strongly. Currently running it with LGOH, Faster Attacks and Mana Leech, and the new minimum distance is pretty much worthless because, where before I could easily just spam back and forth over packs and keep my mana up, I now find myself constantly having to make sure to click far enough away to ensure that I don't end up having to cast it two or three times quickly and ending up out of mana.

Not really seeing how anyone will be able to make any reasonable use of the new min distance without a change to the mana cost. They might as well have just buffed the damage...

So because you aren't leeching enough mana, and you aren't skilled enough to click further away, you are unhappy about a change for quality of life?

Seriously, this is the worst argument I have ever heard. It makes me super happy, i can sustain the cost of it, if you can't, use it more mana efficiently by clicking further away. It has no maximum range, so click as far as you want, but dont' try to make OTHERS suffer for your build specifically, when there is no actual gain to increasing the min distance.

And the mana cost is AS it is for a reason, you could put forward an argument to reduce it based upon mana cost merit, but based on 'one thign changed, you should have doubled the damage cause it only spins 1/3 of the distance now' is just bad logic

Whoa son, a bit angry aren't we? My point was not that it's "too hard" to click farther away. It was that the change did not really seem to accomplish anything, at least not in the sense that I gathered from most of complaints about the minimum distance prior to this, which actually often did seem to be people who just wanted to spam it all over the place without any of the drawbacks that were clearly intended to be a part of it.

Of course, a massive damage increase based on the reduced minimum distance would be an idiotic thing to ask for... which is probably why I did not ask for it. Personally I think most of the complaints about the damage boiled down to people being pissed that it wasn't as good as or better than cleave, or good for dual wield, or whatever.
Minimum distance is too small for me now, I'll try to spec out of some movement speed and report back again.
"
Khazrad wrote:
Minimum distance is too small for me now, I'll try to spec out of some movement speed and report back again.

Hmmm... that is something I did not consider. Time to hunt for some new boots!
69 CI, Claw & Board, Dual Curse Shadow.

Currently using my Cyclone(15%) with; Melee Damage on Full Life(14%), Faster Attacks(10%), and Mana Leech - All level 15. Relevant auras; Hatred and Wrath.

Tooltip DPS - 998
Cost per use - 50

I love the amount of control given with the new minimum distance, but I find if I have one enemy targeted it will attack consecutively at a fast rate which drains mana very quickly. Not complaining it just looks like I'm going to need to work with a larger mana pool.
Not to be preachy, but due to the transient coverage on this skill you can be much more aggressive with its damage. It isn't like Split Arrow or Ground Slam where you can cover the entire screen constantly. You cover a tiny area for a brief moment, and lock yourself in place. You can't really create an AoE that needs a higher multiplier than that (it's akin to a fireball where two thirds of the time you shoot them, they come out crooked); the equivalent sum of ~80-90% would have been a better starting place. Not entirely sure if 60*2 is even too much.

Otherwise it's just a movement skill that's strictly inferior to Whirling Blades.

Also would like to see a Cleave-esque clause for improved Dual Wield power. (Double the hits, 40% less damage kind of thing). If anything is worth turning into a AoE skill for dual claws and daggers, this thing is.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Mar 20, 2013, 12:07:26 AM
Cyclone: I think 45 damage and LESS mana cost would of been better, Don't like the new spin distance. Trying to get use to it, but had NO problem with the old distance.
Also the damage of leap slam is better not seeing the point in using it.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
Last edited by tat0010 on Mar 20, 2013, 12:03:36 AM
Thank you for improving cyclone. It's much more fun to use now because you can control the distance better. Also it desyncs A LOT less.

By far the most fun skill in the game (although it doesn't compare to some other skills damage-wise).
"
riptid3 wrote:
There's not enough reward for the risk and cost of cyclone.

Dmg needs to be upped and/or cost decreased (depending on dmg increase)
You really need to take into account the fact that 2 hits for 35% weapon dmg is nowhere near 1 hit for 70%. Unless you're going to make cyclone ignore armor, which I'm also fine with.

As it stands now, the majority would most likely have it hit 1x per rotation for 2x as much. Aside from the awesome sounds of quick hits. Hell, personally I'd be fine with 1 hit every 3 rotations for 6x as much.(yes, I do think armor is a big problem for all physical dmg skill/builds and needs to be looked at)

Feel pretty much the same still, though the dmg increase was noticeable. However, not enough to outweigh the risk and especially cost. I strongly suggest you look at the mana cost now, especially with the minimum range. The damage per mana efficiency is abysmal in most "real world" testing. Less cost seems necessary, even over a bigger damage increase.

I do prefer the current minimum distance though as it removes some of the risk I felt before.
-ign rptd (Hardcore) _riptide (default and that's an underscore too)
Last edited by riptid3 on Mar 20, 2013, 12:15:11 AM
Here's my 2c.

Issue: I liked the old cyclone better, for one reason, I don't like the new min travel distance. I know it is not hard to click further away on the screen to travel through the mobs but by having to do that I have to move my mouse to the other side of the screen for the next travel and in turn lowers my movement and reaction time.

Now with all issues you should suggest a proposed fix so here's mine.

Fix: Make is so you can click and hold to continues travel to a location and the mana cost will be determined by distance traveled. That way you can keep the min distance for faster control and not to fly your mouse around the screen to travel.

( I often find myself losing my cursor on the screen due to the amount of mobs on the screen or effects from skills )

Issue: I also think the skill needs to be slightly buffed for duel wield builds. Currently to get the most dps out of the skill it best to use a 2hd weapon.

Fix: Change the skill gem to have two different damage mod's. One for duel wield and one for 2hd.

I will continue to test and play with the skill since it is the only decent melee aoe skill for my duel wield claw ranger.

Twitch.tv/Nithryok
Only one Problem left now:

If i click on a Mob directly Cyclone stops when i reach his location, thats different to what it was before the patch.

So two solutions:

1. Dont let me "click" on mobs, sometimes i just target the ground metres behind an enemie but i still have him in target and so i just stop at the mob location and dont cyclone to the location i clicked on.

2. Cyclone should not directly stops at Mob Locations, should move forward some metres like it does before the patch but with less range.
IGN: kReiZy
Last edited by sYkoDe4d on Mar 20, 2013, 12:24:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info