[3.7] Dominating Blow Necro | 1.3 Million DPS with 19 pets (LHC)

I started this league running this build, but as we can all tell from the comments - it doesn't seem like OP quite understands all the mechanics at play here w/ offerings, etc.

I wanted to make this work so I've modified a few things.

Unfortunately, if I had the option, I'd easily reroll into a Templar for a DB build like this. Witch necro works alright and is pretty good for group play as far as buffs go, but survivability is gimped on a budget. E/S doesn't seem ideal unless we get really rich and convert to some E/S leech for survivability. I think Templar would excel here at leech/HP/armor stacking instead of trying to hybrid HP/ES for tankiness as Witch requires.

The current build I'm running has been acquired with less than 1 EX so I'd consider this budget, but if you have ex to spend, you can really min/max and work on the survivability of the witch/necro version of this build.

PB link: https://pastebin.com/X3TmNtWd

Quick notes:

I'm running zombies and earth golem for regen, taunt, and to help get DB minions rolling. I'm running Writhing Flask; however, I don't have nearly the success of DBing minions from it as I do from getting minions from Herald of Purity from it. I would probably change this out because it's not effective in generating minions when you're minion starved. An alternative is if you get the corrupted breach/portal gem and use those reserves before bossing or changing maps to generate minions. It's slower because it opens a breach, but it's way more effective at summoning DB minions.

Chober just feels nice because it keeps minions alive so much longer in t15 red maps and bosses. I tried using a guildmates Kingmaker, and while it was amazing for grouping; it severely gimped the survivability of my witch minions. Alternatively, I've yet to find a suitable acceptable replacement for Chober in the witch/necro version of this build.

I added Atziri's because it 100% makes a difference in survivability and playstyle. Without the leech, this build is infinitely harder to play. Highly recommend.

This build is really just a salvaged version of the OP's build. I didn't create this build to be leet, OP, etc. I currently have about 560k+ DPS via PoB with the minion setup I'm running. I'm clearing most red maps without problem unless I'm instagibbed by inc crit or miss a mechanic. I've tried to keep my rings/amulet sections open for swapping depending on map mechanics. If possible, belts would be a great option for swapping, too, especially for the instagib crit hits.

There are so many options with blasphemy/curses too. This is just the setup that's keeping me up to date with my guildies running OP Cyclone builds. Lots of theorycrafting left to do.

Overall, I hope this helps anyone who has been following or looking for a thread with a build like this. Thanks, OP, for the inspiration! <3

If you use Discord and have questions or want to continue theorycrafting on this type of build, comment, message, or add me in-game. :) Minions are my fav!

N.B. - I've recently started trading in my gems for 20% quality so my PB will not show the accurate DPS. I'm up to 350-450k right now, but will dip again and start to climb back to higher than 600k+ once all my gems are quality'd and lvl 20.
Last edited by ahhitsjamie on Jun 14, 2019, 1:24:35 PM
"
ahhitsjamie wrote:
I started this league running this build, but as we can all tell from the comments - it doesn't seem like OP quite understands all the mechanics at play here w/ offerings, etc.

I wanted to make this work so I've modified a few things.

Unfortunately, if I had the option, I'd easily reroll into a Templar for a DB build like this. Witch necro works alright and is pretty good for group play as far as buffs go, but survivability is gimped on a budget. E/S doesn't seem ideal unless we get really rich and convert to some E/S leech for survivability. I think Templar would excel here at leech/HP/armor stacking instead of trying to hybrid HP/ES for tankiness as Witch requires.

The current build I'm running has been acquired with less than 1 EX so I'd consider this budget, but if you have ex to spend, you can really min/max and work on the survivability of the witch/necro version of this build.

PB link: https://pastebin.com/X3TmNtWd

Quick notes:

I'm running zombies and earth golem for regen, taunt, and to help get DB minions rolling. I'm running Writhing Flask; however, I don't have nearly the success of DBing minions from it as I do from getting minions from Herald of Purity from it. I would probably change this out because it's not effective in generating minions when you're minion starved. An alternative is if you get the corrupted breach/portal gem and use those reserves before bossing or changing maps to generate minions. It's slower because it opens a breach, but it's way more effective at summoning DB minions.

Chober just feels nice because it keeps minions alive so much longer in t15 red maps and bosses. I tried using a guildmates Kingmaker, and while it was amazing for grouping; it severely gimped the survivability of my witch minions. Alternatively, I've yet to find a suitable acceptable replacement for Chober in the witch/necro version of this build.

I added Atziri's because it 100% makes a difference in survivability and playstyle. Without the leech, this build is infinitely harder to play. Highly recommend.

This build is really just a salvaged version of the OP's build. I didn't create this build to be leet, OP, etc. I currently have about 560k+ DPS via PoB with the minion setup I'm running. I'm clearing most red maps without problem unless I'm instagibbed by inc crit or miss a mechanic. I've tried to keep my rings/amulet sections open for swapping depending on map mechanics. If possible, belts would be a great option for swapping, too, especially for the instagib crit hits.

There are so many options with blasphemy/curses too. This is just the setup that's keeping me up to date with my guildies running OP Cyclone builds. Lots of theorycrafting left to do.

Overall, I hope this helps anyone who has been following or looking for a thread with a build like this. Thanks, OP, for the inspiration! <3

If you use Discord and have questions or want to continue theorycrafting on this type of build, comment, message, or add me in-game. :) Minions are my fav!

N.B. - I've recently started trading in my gems for 20% quality so my PB will not show the accurate DPS. I'm up to 350-450k right now, but will dip again and start to climb back to higher than 600k+ once all my gems are quality'd and lvl 20.

I admit I didn't know about the offerings - I played a zombie necro several leagues ago and only used 1 offering wasn't aware they didn't stack, so my bad! As for "not understanding all the mechanics at play" I really don't think anything else I missed and that seems kind of rude to say. This build is untested and will need some tweeks as I build towards it (only level 62 atm) But this is also why the title isn't "Auto clear Uber shaper/elder/atziri laugh at all content" Sorry you had the change your build and it hasn't worked out for you - maybe you transition too early? It needs a lot of IAS to function properly and you need to grab all of your life nodes first for survivability. I changed the links also to include Fortify for increased survivability.

I've made a lot of changes since my first post, you should take a look. I've been working on it as I level.

I'm really surprised you are running into survivability issues with close to 200% max life (from jewels and tree) ontop of Mom and fortify? I haven't checked your PoB link, but if we go templar we lose offering share and a lot of minion bonuses ontop of aura support - not sure what templar actually gives. This character wasn't built for support play - it's not an aura bot.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.
Last edited by Edzilla on Jun 14, 2019, 2:19:30 PM
"
I'm really surprised you are running into survivability issues with close to 200% max life (from jewels and tree) ontop of Mom and fortify? I haven't checked your PoB link, but if we go templar we lose offering share and a lot of minion bonuses ontop of aura support - not sure what templar actually gives.

SO I specced out of MoM because it's just so much weaker than ever before. It's just not worth the mana struggle versus running more auras IMHO after testing t15 red maps with +400% crit, +90-100% inc ele/phys damage + phys monster dmg reduction.

I'm using dread banner/fortify/vaal discipline/flesh and stone(sand)/CwDT+IC(nerfed so badly honestly)+warlords/steelskin + FLASKS esp. Atziri for leech to be able to survive end game red map content like this. If you aren't doing t15 red maps corrupted for bonus completion, then I imagine MoM *might* be ok. I think prismatic/defensive aura would be better than MoM in almost every case for this build now.

"
Sorry it didn't work out for you, I haven't got to play much this league so i'm still not in maps - only level 61 atm.

No worries. I hope you look at my PoB pastebin and see where I'm coming from - I'd love to talk more about my thoughts and theories. I've always played summies, but never this type. I've enjoyed trying to work it out.

RE Templar: longer discussion. I'll have to post more about my thoughts on why it'd be tankier.

EDIT: also, I primarily play in party play. solo feels smooth as butter. I'm trying to keep up with OP cycloners.
Last edited by ahhitsjamie on Jun 14, 2019, 2:23:37 PM
"
ahhitsjamie wrote:
"
I'm really surprised you are running into survivability issues with close to 200% max life (from jewels and tree) ontop of Mom and fortify? I haven't checked your PoB link, but if we go templar we lose offering share and a lot of minion bonuses ontop of aura support - not sure what templar actually gives.

SO I specced out of MoM because it's just so much weaker than ever before. It's just not worth the mana struggle versus running more auras IMHO after testing t15 red maps with +400% crit, +90-100% inc ele/phys damage + phys monster dmg reduction.

I'm using dread banner/fortify/vaal discipline/flesh and stone(sand)/CwDT+IC(nerfed so badly honestly)+warlords/steelskin + FLASKS esp. Atziri for leech to be able to survive end game red map content like this. If you aren't doing t15 red maps corrupted for bonus completion, then I imagine MoM *might* be ok. I think prismatic/defensive aura would be better than MoM in almost every case for this build now.

"
Sorry it didn't work out for you, I haven't got to play much this league so i'm still not in maps - only level 61 atm.

No worries. I hope you look at my PoB pastebin and see where I'm coming from - I'd love to talk more about my thoughts and theories. I've always played summies, but never this type. I've enjoyed trying to work it out.

RE Templar: longer discussion. I'll have to post more about my thoughts on why it'd be tankier.

I play HC, so I guess i don't really plan to be doing such rippy maps as you in the first place, lol - it literally only lost 3 nodes and people are jumping the gun on it being bad - are you using auras to reserve mana? i saw you are using purity... I only really plan to use haste on essence worm and nothing else to benefit fully from MOM.

I do plan to complete red maps and eventually complete the atlas, but not within the first 1-2 weeks. Doing hard rippy maps before you are fully geared and ready isn't really how it is done in HC nor is it really how you should evaluate if a skill (like mom) is bad or not. If i'm doing red maps, I'd want 2000+ unreserved mana and enough armor to mitigate that. Doing a melee character without a second defense tool (Mom, endurance charges, a lot of leech) isn't really a good idea.

edit: You aren't going to be able to keep up with the OP cycloners lol - fotm builds always will be superior and better - if I wanted to clear content and fall asleep i'd play cyclone.
Last edited by Edzilla on Jun 14, 2019, 2:27:30 PM
"
I play HC, so I guess i don't really plan to be doing such rippy maps as you in the first place, lol - it literally only lost 3 nodes and people are jumping the gun on it being bad - are you using auras to reserve mana? i saw you are using purity... I only really plan to use haste on essence worm and nothing else to benefit fully from MOM.

I do plan to complete red maps and eventually complete the atlas, but not within the first 1-2 weeks. Doing hard rippy maps before you are fully geared and ready isn't really how it is done in HC nor is it really how you should evaluate if a skill (like mom) is bad or not. If i'm doing red maps, I'd want 2000+ unreserved mana and enough armor to mitigate that. Doing a melee character without a second defense tool (Mom, endurance charges, a lot of leech) isn't really a good idea.

Yeah, I don't think this post had the LHC tag on it when I originally saw this and/or on poebuilds it did not link this to HC. :) I understand the mentality is 100% different. TO be clear, I'm playing on Legion SC. I picked this up for SC Legion because it wasn't posted in a HC builds section (yet).

Yes, MoM is so much worse than before, but if you're looking to only run one Haste and stack mana / armor, then yes - MoM is a great choice for HC/SSF play. I don't think it's ideal anymore to run with multiple auras. Agreed.

Actually, once I hit quality'd +20% I'll be sitting at over half a million DPS which is plenty for most group play content unless you're running with FOTM builds that have budgets of ~multiple~ exalteds. I'm playing with 'average' ish players that are running builds with only 2-4EX investments or rather budget. For comparison - my cyclone zerker guildy is hitting ~200K on his budget cyclone in PoB. Obviously, their survivability is good because of leech, but I am definitely keeping up in damage and survivability. :) It's possible unless you're competing with 10+ ex builds. Even then there are uber rich summies that top the millions pretty easily. Disposable income/RNGesus is the biggest factor in achieving your dreams in path.
"
Here's the build I'll be running in 3.7 LHC. (Path of Building pastebin above)

Survivability
- 189%-207%% to max life
- MOM with 1600-2500 unreserved mana
- Fortfiy supported on main attack
- Armor based character

My pets do 88k+ each, combined with my zombies(32k each) and my own DPS(50k+), It comes to about 1.2m DPS This does not include the minion instability explosions as well (the zombies are pretty tanky, but the Dominating blow minions will die more often) which is free DPS and will help with map clearing. The zombie's slam combined with 2 violent dead jewels also make clearing packs much easier.

Since we're running with 2 very different mindsets, I wanted to give some quick feedback. I think MI is a bad pick. I know sentinels are dying, but have you done the damage calc on it? Unless you're running a popcorn skele build, MI isn't usually a good choice because DMG is weak/low/unreliable. I think you'd be better off taking this point out and reaching for another jewel slot (to include a rare jewel that will give taunt % to minions. Perfect for HC) or simply taking more life/armor/mana nodes which are all very accessible still.

As far as *armor* based - your PoB doesn't have any gear included. I can't see what armor % calculation is happening here; however, if we're actually going to expect this DB Witch to be armor, I think figuring out a way to generate endurance charges for CwDT+IC would be amazing. This is primarily why I think Templar would excel at this build - armor/IC/HP stacking. You can even stack mana and do a 4% or 8% taken from Mana before life for a Templar if you wanted a similar MoM effect. If a DB Witch can't hit at least 30-40% reduction with armor WITHOUT flasks, I can't imagine it being as effective as Templar. This is 100% the survivability issue I encountered until I specced out of MoM and went with other auras for SC Legion. I sit at 6.2k EHP without DB minions bumping me to 8-10k EHP.

All in all, thanks for responding. I'm curious about trying a tankier version with MoM in PoB now - assuming I can get the necessary armor.

edit: I'd even swap our VD jewel for a taunt AND blind jewel. both amazing for survivability in HC.
Last edited by ahhitsjamie on Jun 14, 2019, 3:16:13 PM
Hey! I wanted to update by pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/QCc2FQeE

I lucked out with some Fenumus pieces and it's really improved the QoL / survivability. I imagine this would work in HC as well, especially if you use less auras. Since I'm in SC, I'm still opting out of MoM.

Gotta say that after the Fenumus + Solstice Vigil + Taste of Hate upgrades, this build feels smooth as butter. I was struggling with end game upgrades and survivability in party play. This has made such a huge difference. I just freed up my last realistic jewel slot. If I can luck out before burn out, I'm considering a Watcher's Eye or just rare jewel + stats or a timeless once everyone figures out the stat rolls.

6.5k EHP. up to 8-12K depending on DB+Shrine buffs.
760-1.5 mil DPS without Vaal burst. Spikes to 2-2.5 mil with procs+vaal bursts.

Thanks for turning me onto this build. I know we've diverged at this point, but I wouldn't have tried this out this league without this post!

Cheers.
Last edited by ahhitsjamie on Jun 16, 2019, 7:38:20 PM
"
ahhitsjamie wrote:
Hey! I wanted to update by pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/QCc2FQeE

I lucked out with some Fenumus pieces and it's really improved the QoL / survivability. I imagine this would work in HC as well, especially if you use less auras. Since I'm in SC, I'm still opting out of MoM.

Gotta say that after the Fenumus + Solstice Vigil + Taste of Hate upgrades, this build feels smooth as butter. I was struggling with end game upgrades and survivability in party play. This has made such a huge difference. I just freed up my last realistic jewel slot. If I can luck out before burn out, I'm considering a Watcher's Eye or just rare jewel + stats or a timeless once everyone figures out the stat rolls.

6.5k EHP. up to 8-12K depending on DB+Shrine buffs.
760-1.5 mil DPS without Vaal burst. Spikes to 2-2.5 mil with procs+vaal bursts.

Thanks for turning me onto this build. I know we've diverged at this point, but I wouldn't have tried this out this league without this post!

Cheers.

Nice, glad to hear its working out for ya. I see you're using melee splash - how's that working out for you? Are you using it for the minion clearspeed or for yourself to apply DB debuff better?

I just recently started maps this weekend getting some more play time in and It feels pretty good so far. I had to get some minion speed + life abyss jewels but after that and running haste I feel like my clearspeed/movement speed is good (It felt like leap-slam was slowing me down before getting the minion IAS jewels.)

I just starting working on my atlas (t1 and t2's complete), but it feels good and I'm pretty tanky (4.7k hp, 1.8k mana, 2k armor) Most bosses haven't been a problem but I think I might find a spot for Vaal summon skeleton to help out.

Here's my current gear.

Spoiler

I just looted an exalted orb, so I'm going to get my hammer 5linked.

My potions kind of suck - I think i'll go with an onslaught potion in place of my quicksilver and a good mana pot in place of my hybrid for fights when I take a lot of damage and go OOM. I also still need warding on something.

Going to edit the OP to include abyss minion speed jewels over the dmg ones.

Also, a side note, the Leap Slam + Endurance charge on stun setup with CWDT + Immortal call has been working out great. I'm currently debating on if I need fortify on DB or not because right now I feel like I am leap-slamming a lot and having fortfiy up 80% of the time - I think fortify on DB will help in hard boss fights though so I am not sure what I want to do.
Last edited by Edzilla on Jun 17, 2019, 1:06:26 PM
"
Nice, glad to hear its working out for ya. I see you're using melee splash - how's that working out for you? Are you using it for the minion clearspeed or for yourself to apply DB debuff better?

It's crash-tastic. Haha. Truthfully. There's some weird interaction with melee splash/DB/multistrike that's causing a lot of crashes *if* I kill enemy minions with the DB skill rather than my minions killing them. But YES, without splash the clearspeed is much slower. I can especially notice in party play. TBQH, I'm not sure if the interactions are working together properly yet since GGG has had so many bugs this patch. Mostly clear speed. DB buff is easy to apply so far.

EDIT: Multistrike really helps the feel and speed of DB. Admittedly, I can't fit Haste aura in since I'm hybrid HP/ES at this point, but I do run Vaal Haste for procs. I imagine Haste would make DB feel a lot better and prolly invalidate multistrike, or at least, make it SO FAST. My logic on multistrike+meleesplash+ruthless is that multistrike is proccing ruthless more with minions for the added .8 sec stun. It really helps with survivability.

I'm actually running Maim on my HoP/Vaal Skeles/Zombies for procs. It's worked out the best that way for me so far.

"

Congrats!! I didn't know this until this league, but it was cheaper for me to buy a 6L Chaber (pre prophecy) and then upgrade it with the prophecy myself. I think Tolman is available on a t3 map now? At any rate - if you already have a 6L Chaber and upgrade it with the prophecy, it should stay 6L. The difference was 15c for a 6L Chaber on SC versus 1.5-3ex for a 6L Chober. Ridiculous.

"
I just starting working on my atlas (t1 and t2's complete), but it feels good and I'm pretty tanky (4.7k hp, 1.8k mana, 2k armor) Most bosses haven't been a problem but I think I might find a spot for Vaal summon skeleton to help out.

Nice. Vaal Summon Skeles is a huge boon. Highly rec. I took it out for a while, but finally reincorporated it back into my build. It's a lifesaver and amazing for clearing bosses, generals, and ambushes - especially now that maim is attached to VSS/zombies/HoP. ALL THE MAIMS. The burst potential is really something else when you have all your Vaal skills ready.

"
Also, a side note, the Leap Slam + Endurance charge on stun setup with CWDT + Immortal call has been working out great. I'm currently debating on if I need fortify on DB or not because right now I feel like I am leap-slamming a lot and having fortfiy up 80% of the time - I think fortify on DB will help in hard boss fights though so I am not sure what I want to do.

I hated LS in this build early because of speed/danger. It's why I swapped back to Flame Dash. I haven't tried using it in a while OR with this setup, but I'll give it a shot if my links will work out. I'm pretty green socket starved so it's been annoying to try to incorporate the traditional leap slam+faster attacks.

Abyss jewels are sooo needed for red maps, IMO. Clear speed slowed down some until I redid my tree at 90 to incorporate 4-5 jewel slots. Once I saved up some chaos recipes, I began purchasing %minion damage/%minion damage on skill use/flat physical damage/max life or e/s rolls. It's made a huge improvement.

Lastly, if you can I highly rec trying out some leech on a flask like Atziri's. It's been really helpful in surviving for me! Thanks for the updates. Eager to hear about your upgrades and once you reach end game/red maps/deep delves/whatever you choose.

P.S. - I'm hoping all the melee and support gem bugs get worked out in the next week or two. When the mana reservation bug happened last week - it really made me waste almost 20c on redoing my gear because I thought the mana reservation calculation was just wrong, but turns out it was a bug for HoP. bleh.

P.P.S. - I meant to say this RE Templar. Chober is great, but I still feel myself twinge with regret that my build is so custom-built for Chober 6L and not a 1h/shield setup. There are just so many melee AND minion options for 1h/shields right now. At any rate - this build is finally coming together as a 2H.
Last edited by ahhitsjamie on Jun 17, 2019, 6:08:15 PM
"
ahhitsjamie wrote:
"

It's crash-tastic. Haha. Truthfully. There's some weird interaction with melee splash/DB/multistrike that's causing a lot of crashes *if* I kill enemy minions with the DB skill rather than my minions killing them. But YES, without splash the clearspeed is much slower. I can especially notice in party play. TBQH, I'm not sure if the interactions are working together properly yet since GGG has had so many bugs this patch. Mostly clear speed. DB buff is easy to apply so far.

EDIT: Multistrike really helps the feel and speed of DB. Admittedly, I can't fit Haste aura in since I'm hybrid HP/ES at this point, but I do run Vaal Haste for procs. I imagine Haste would make DB feel a lot better and prolly invalidate multistrike, or at least, make it SO FAST. My logic on multistrike+meleesplash+ruthless is that multistrike is proccing ruthless more with minions for the added .8 sec stun. It really helps with survivability.

I'm actually running Maim on my HoP/Vaal Skeles/Zombies for procs. It's worked out the best that way for me so far.

"

Congrats!! I didn't know this until this league, but it was cheaper for me to buy a 6L Chaber (pre prophecy) and then upgrade it with the prophecy myself. I think Tolman is available on a t3 map now? At any rate - if you already have a 6L Chaber and upgrade it with the prophecy, it should stay 6L. The difference was 15c for a 6L Chaber on SC versus 1.5-3ex for a 6L Chober. Ridiculous.

"

Nice. Vaal Summon Skeles is a huge boon. Highly rec. I took it out for a while, but finally reincorporated it back into my build. It's a lifesaver and amazing for clearing bosses, generals, and ambushes - especially now that maim is attached to VSS/zombies/HoP. ALL THE MAIMS. The burst potential is really something else when you have all your Vaal skills ready.

"

I hated LS in this build early because of speed/danger. It's why I swapped back to Flame Dash. I haven't tried using it in a while OR with this setup, but I'll give it a shot if my links will work out. I'm pretty green socket starved so it's been annoying to try to incorporate the traditional leap slam+faster attacks.

Abyss jewels are sooo needed for red maps, IMO. Clear speed slowed down some until I redid my tree at 90 to incorporate 4-5 jewel slots. Once I saved up some chaos recipes, I began purchasing %minion damage/%minion damage on skill use/flat physical damage/max life or e/s rolls. It's made a huge improvement.

Lastly, if you can I highly rec trying out some leech on a flask like Atziri's. It's been really helpful in surviving for me! Thanks for the updates. Eager to hear about your upgrades and once you reach end game/red maps/deep delves/whatever you choose.

P.S. - I'm hoping all the melee and support gem bugs get worked out in the next week or two. When the mana reservation bug happened last week - it really made me waste almost 20c on redoing my gear because I thought the mana reservation calculation was just wrong, but turns out it was a bug for HoP. bleh.

P.P.S. - I meant to say this RE Templar. Chober is great, but I still feel myself twinge with regret that my build is so custom-built for Chober 6L and not a 1h/shield setup. There are just so many melee AND minion options for 1h/shields right now. At any rate - this build is finally coming together as a 2H.

At 2.3 APS melee splash feels fine without multistrike - I tested it out last night for several maps and it worked well.

There's no 6 or even 5 linked Chaber chobers on HC unfortunately! So I just bought a jewellers touch and 5linked my cairn. Running Melee phys > Melee splash > Maim > MD > DB. I still need to 3 blue my helm so I can do Vaal SC > RZ > MD > Maim. I looted a sweet 90life, resists, +2 minion gem helm but it's pure armor... lol. So that'll be fun to 3 blue (doable with the crafting trick, maybe later!)

Honestly, if I was going to go with a 1h + shield, i'd just go straight minion build with necro anyway. Zombies + spectres with all the sweet necro options is amazing and you can apply all your shield benefits to your minions. I dunno, i only see templar good (as a non support character) for totems and self cast spellcasters for the elemental pen.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info