[3.6] Eternity Shroud Winter Orb Trickster (the best one)

"
johnce6 wrote:
Ok thanks for answer. Currently playing trickster with 4600 hp and 2k es and the one shots are really fuckin annoying even with enfeeble, temp chains, vaal grace, and evasion flasks so makes me question. i guess if bosses just insta die may be bit more survivable.

Yeah. To a certain extent, this is the life of a witch/shadow/ranger. Evasion/dodge mechanics help you to not get hit, but it still hurts when you do get hit. MoM, ghost shrouds, and max resists are your damage mitigation. Getting to life + ES > 7k should be attainable with decent gear and level 90+. If you want to play it even safer, you can always go with a high ES shield with +hp instead of dual wielding. Another survivability/QoL option is to take the first single point next to Light Eater to get some spell ES leech. That and Atziri's flask should allow you to regen very quickly if you get *almost* one shot. Also, your final comment is exactly correct, DPS is its own defense in that nothing can kill you if you kill it first. End-game bosses will still require you to understand the mechanics of the fight to navigate smoothly.

Hey! I am building this myself too. I was kinda lost but your guide definitely helped me a lot :) I couldn't find a well written guide about this build. I want to translate this and upload it to my country's PoE community if that's okay with you ;) Thanks
"
blg_RealiZe wrote:

- Most people don't pick them for some reason, but potency of will and soul thief are HUGE quality of life nodes. IMO, it's worth to sacrifice some DPS for that.

i think at least for some of the people on poe.ninja, they are trying to maximize their pob dps for the "dps ranking", so they are forgoing these qol points for more jewel sockets (6 points is 2 jewels, thats 60+ crit multi plus some other dps stat). i've even seen in some extreme cases of people opting for the 40% worb damage helm enchant to buff up pob dps (when they can clearly afford +2 stages, seeing their other gear), because the poe.ninja pob config ignores the +2 stage helm enchant (it sets worb to 10 stages for everyone)

i tried dropping potency of will and it just feels so clunky, worb falls off way to fast even with shaper's presence up. makes mapping unplayable imo.

soul thief on the other hand, i dont rly see the value? 3 points is a lot for just some ES leech. that said, i am doing the devouring diadem version of the build, so i get my life and es topped off every 5 seconds from feast of flesh (have desecrate linked to cwdt to get more corpses).

i personally prefer the devouring diadem version, over the full shaper gear version, because it allows you to run herald of ice as a second herald (making up some of the dps loss), and you can then use synthesis onslaught implicit boots for permanent onslaught and zoomzoom (since you wont get full shaper bonus anyway). feast of flesh is also great for survivability, i remember quite a few close calls where that skill actually saved me.

another thing is that i dropped quick recovery. its just 14% life for us because the mana and life regen are useless. but 3 points for 14% life is kinda bad. we can either get a jewel socket (7% life + lots of dps) or just take the 6% life nodes by devotion and blood drinker for 12% life and a free point left

for the original thread/OP: i think unless you have trouble capping resists, killing all bandits is better. 2 points will probably always be better than 20% crit multi. also dont see mark of the shaper mentioned anywhere, with elder pyre ring. this combo is very commonly used, cheaper (elder pyres are cheaper than shaper due to lower demand) and actually pretty tough to beat. only a really gg shaped opal ring with spell dmg + ele dmg + crafted increased dmg (and shaper pyre of course) will beat it, and you will most likely be losing some life/ES from the mark of shaper ring
Last edited by Jd009 on Apr 21, 2019, 9:38:04 AM
Wondering if theres a way to work in a warlords mark with herald of ice and curse on hit?

I am not a fan of Orb of Storms setup because it is stationery.
I like the extra QoL it gives on herald of ice or thunder, the occassional endurance charge is good too, and that constant leech.

"
mek8035 wrote:
Hey! I am building this myself too. I was kinda lost but your guide definitely helped me a lot :) I couldn't find a well written guide about this build. I want to translate this and upload it to my country's PoE community if that's okay with you ;) Thanks

Yeah. I was in the same position. I noticed the meta changing on poe.ninja since I was playing soulrend trickster and all of a sudden winter orb overtook soulrend as the most popular skill (trickster also overtook occultist at the same time). I had never written a guide before, but it just felt like somebody had to do it.

"
Jd009 wrote:
i think at least for some of the people on poe.ninja, they are trying to maximize their pob dps for the "dps ranking", so they are forgoing these qol points for more jewel sockets (6 points is 2 jewels, thats 60+ crit multi plus some other dps stat). i've even seen in some extreme cases of people opting for the 40% worb damage helm enchant to buff up pob dps (when they can clearly afford +2 stages, seeing their other gear), because the poe.ninja pob config ignores the +2 stage helm enchant (it sets worb to 10 stages for everyone)

This is unquestionably true. People like the pride in the scoreboard. But also for end-game bossing, the QoL choices don't add as much value, and DPS maxing is sensible. For the record, I will be taking potency of will.

"
Jd009 wrote:
soul thief on the other hand, i dont rly see the value? 3 points is a lot for just some ES leech.

Yeah. I think Light Eater (or even just the first point on the way to Light Eater) is better for this objective.

"
Jd009 wrote:
for the original thread/OP: i think unless you have trouble capping resists, killing all bandits is better. 2 points will probably always be better than 20% crit multi. also dont see mark of the shaper mentioned anywhere, with elder pyre ring. this combo is very commonly used, cheaper (elder pyres are cheaper than shaper due to lower demand) and actually pretty tough to beat. only a really gg shaped opal ring with spell dmg + ele dmg + crafted increased dmg (and shaper pyre of course) will beat it, and you will most likely be losing some life/ES from the mark of shaper ring

As far as killing all vs. Alira, they're close. The build is easy to cap resists since you get quite a bit from the tree, but that doesn't mean it just doesn't count. That 15 res all is still a t1 affix that's freed up on a gear piece somewhere, so you're buying freedom and choice with it. Most min-max sets fill the resists on jewels, which would take at least 2 affixes to match the total resistance given. That said, we travel a fair distance on the tree, so there will be plenty of useful nodes to make use of the points. I've always taken Alira on any crit build out of habit, but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

Your other suggestions are also great. I worked around the goal of full Shaper set, so I didn't explore much down the possibilities if you give up on the secondary bonus entirely. I'll add some notes about Devouring Diadem, Elder Pyre (or warlord's mark on hit for that matter), and Mark of the Shaper. It does become a bit of a slippery slope, but that's the great part of PoE, everyone gets to play their own way.
Can you explain me the part of that have have adding fire damage to spells in abyss jewel and running Herald of Fire make the build worst (using pyre)? What is the optimal setup with Pyre then? Also no Elemental Focus with Herald of Ice?

At the moment i need to uprade my 2nd wand for a shaper crafted wand (not looking for a perfect, just trying to get 4/5ex and craft another like my 1st wand, will be fine i think) and trying to chance pyre to elder (since all my gear will not be shaped - using devouring diadem, elder pyre will give me more damage that a shaped pyre).

Started this build with like 2 exalted and got at this point atm. Not sure if is the best still keep running Devouring Diadem (MOM + EB make my defenses a little low, if i drop both maybe get better but cant use all those auras) but is mutch mutch more expensive trying to go full shaper atm.
Last edited by ElBonecoIntuMadre on Apr 21, 2019, 12:05:28 PM
"
Can you explain me the part of that have have adding fire damage to spells in abyss jewel and running Herald of Fire make the build worst (using pyre)? What is the optimal setup with Pyre then? Also no Elemental Focus with Herald of Ice?

At the moment i need to uprade my 2nd wand for a shaper crafted wand (not looking for a perfect, just trying to get 4/5ex and craft another like my 1st wand, will be fine i think) and trying to chance pyre to elder (since all my gear will not be shaped - using devouring diadem, elder pyre will give me more damage that a shaped pyre).

Started this build with like 2 exalted and got at this point atm. Not sure if is the best still keep running Devouring Diadem (MOM + EB make my defenses a little low, if i drop both maybe get better but cant use all those auras) but is mutch mutch more expensive trying to go full shaper atm.

The added fire damage/herald of ash was just making the point that damage conversion is most effective when all of your damage starts at the beginning of the chain. If 100% of your damage is cold, then 50% cold -> fire conversion causes your "gain elemental damage as extra chaos" mod to scale based off of 150% of your base damage. If your base damage is 50% cold, 50% fire, then having 50% cold -> fire conversion causes your "gain elemental damage as extra chaos" to scale based off of 125% of your total base damage (the 50 cold and 75 fire). So any added flat damage to fire will cause cold -> fire damage conversion to add less effective DPS when compared to another "more" multiplier source. In any effect, I re-wrote this section since it was unclear.

As for Herald of Ice, it requires you to shatter enemies in order to explode them. Elemental Focus gem prevents your damage from inflicting elemental ailments, so it will be impossible to shatter enemies.
"
rlauren2 wrote:
I'll add some notes about Devouring Diadem, Elder Pyre (or warlord's mark on hit for that matter), and Mark of the Shaper.

cool, nice edits. a few more thoughts

even with the devouring diadem (no full shaper) route, you still want to maximize # of shaper items since each piece is 5% extra ele as chaos. now you could argue that the cost of the shaped pyre is not worth it, but still, it does make a difference (about 3% dps in pob for me, with 2 non-shaped items).

and with herald of ice, i tested it without ele focus (swapped in controlled destruction), and found that i wasn't getting that many shatters anyway. this is because we rly aren't dealing that much cold damage (mostly only HoI). so i switched back to ele focus for more dps. HoI still gives you good flat added cold so its still worth it if you have the mana.

now, for full shaper set vs diadem routes. i played around with pob a bit to see the dps difference between diadem vs full shaper. keep in mind all these numbers are rough estimates, actual numbers will vary depending on gear of course, but this is just a ballpark. the baseline of comparing the dps increase is from a character with all other gear already fixed (shroud, shaper everything except helm + boots)

getting the secondary bonus from eternity shroud is about 23.3% dps increase (from adding in a line "damage penetrate 25% chaos resistance" on one of my items, which should be the same as the bonus on shaper). having shaped helm tho opens up more dps stats, notably cold damage added to spells, which is about 3% dps increase. so going full shaper is about 26% dps increase

as for diadem, it gives you herald of ice, potentially permanent onslaught on synthesis boots, and saves you 3 points on tree. HoI is about 7% dps increase. onslaught is about 10% dps increase (assuming you are not running onslaught flask, which has terrible uptime on bosses anyway). 3 points for end game tree is roughly a jewel socket, which is about 7-9% dps for a fairly gg one.so thats about 7+10+8 = 25% total dps. but thats before taking into account the loss of 10% ele as extra chaos, which is about 6% extra dps. so all in all diadem gives you about 19-20% increased dps

so the dps difference from the two is def there, but not that massive (26% vs 20%). again these numbers are rough ballparks from my pob tweaking so they may be off (eg if you run an onslaught flask then full shaper will seem a lot better). of course, full shaper version has more room for life/resists, but missing feast of flesh which is actually rly good imo. and the diadem version, if you run onslaught boots, has better qol and speed.

another possibility that i was thinking about is dropping the shaped ring (not shaped pyre, but the other ring) for a synthesized arcane surge on hit ring. we lose the shaped "% increase to spell damage" roll but can get cast speed or % increased cold damage instead (along with 30% ele dmg of course). this would free up an affix on our watcher's eye (arcane surge on consecrated ground by zealotry) so we can run another one (like double hatred + zealotry cast speed). but such eyes would be multiple mirrors probably

that brings me to watcher's eye. the best 3-stat eye imo would be hatred crit + hatred flat cold + zealotry arcane surge on consecrated ground. best 2-stat eye would be zealotry arcane surge + 1 of the hatred mods (crit beats flat cold by ~2.2% in my pob, but thats before factoring in bottled faith crit bonus, so overall those 2 should be roughly on par). zealotry cast speed would be a close 4th stat imo. not too sure about the other stats on eyes but they all seemed worse to me
thx for the written guide, one question, referring to your chaosworbs character, how do you manage to keep hatred, herald of ash and zealotry running at once? i too am using a shaped helmet ( could have switch to diadem) is the enlightened support gem needed to be at least lv3(or4?) to support all these buffs?
"
Jd009 wrote:
"
rlauren2 wrote:
I'll add some notes about Devouring Diadem, Elder Pyre (or warlord's mark on hit for that matter), and Mark of the Shaper.

cool, nice edits. a few more thoughts...

I appreciate the rigor testing it all in PoB. Instead of HoI though, you can actually fit aspect of the spider into the build with Enlighten 4 in Devouring Diadem with the 3 auras. The 15% more from that likely tips the scales, plus the hinder is a nice utility. And you can leave on Elemental Focus. Or you can just run the 3 auras in DD and refund the 4-5 points on the mana reservation nodes and pick up something else.

Arcane Surge should definitely be picked up somewhere. Even the hybrid mod 10% cast, arcane surge on kill in one of the weapons is worth it until you get a watcher's eye or synthesized ring. Getting it on hit is obviously way better, but there's so many tradeoffs at that point to consider that everyone just has to plug it in with their own gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info