[3.6] Gryph's CI Coldsnap + Vortex Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

This is a WIP guide. I will add to this as I have time. Thanks for looking!

IGN: _Chill_

I actually started this league with Cold Snap/Vortex Occultist. Got her to 94 before starting a second character. Loved the build, loved the playstyle but I really wanted to try out the new Trickster buffs as I have a long-time love for shadows...They reminded me of my favorite class from Diablo 2--the Assassin. And so I rolled a Divine Ire Trickster and...didn't care for it, so I rerolled another Trickster when I decided Divine Ire wasn't for me.

This time I chose to go with Cold Snap + Vortex again after messing around with PoB for a while.

Let's Go!

When I say it can do everything, I do mean EVERYTHING
- Any map mod (Ele reflect, I'm looking at you)
- Farm Uber Elder
- Shaper
- Deep Delves in the mine (Currently in the 300's)
- Uber Atziri and her trio are an actual joke
- Cortex and the other Synth bosses.
- Aul, and other Delve bosses
- etc....

My DPS + Current Gear

Vortex 3.8 Million
Cold Snap 880k
Vaal Cold Snap 1.1 Million

This is just over 5.8 Million combined Shaper DPS.

Vaal Righteous Fire would bring this total up to about 7.2 million. Great for Blitzing Guardians and is totally unneeded but fun nonetheless.

My Volatile Anomalies do 480k DPS... :D (These are actually great for maps as they clean up leftover mobs you might have left behind)

Current Gear

Offhand Portal Shield:

Videos

Uber Elder with latest gear. Sloppy, but Deathless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA2lxXoM6RU&feature=youtu.be

T16 Forge of the Phoenix Elder Guardian with Abyss Boss. Just a random gameplay video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykB1oqRwgrU&feature=youtu.be

These videos were done with about half of my current DPS.
I will work on videos with a more budget friendly setup in the future.

Shaper Run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qpMYRci4I&feature=youtu.be

Uber Elder
https://youtu.be/_903xDTrq-U

Enriched Chayula Run just beacuse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyyKSSvODxY

TL:DR just want your PoB
https://pastebin.com/NC9cHhxv

A lot of people will ask me "Why Trickster over Occultist?"

Trickster Vs Occultist

There's a lot of give and take when choosing sides. For me the Trickster provides more layers of defense, a smoother playing experience, and gets STYLE POINTS (because...PRIORITIES!) than the Occultist. That said, having played both to 94 this league here's my take on the differences:

Pros for Trickster

-Ghost Shrouds.

Trickster gains 3% damage reduction per Ghost Shroud for 9% total.
We also consume a Ghost Shroud recover 5% of our Evasion as Energy shield when we take a hit.

-52% global increases to attack and cast speed from ascendancy allows for much smoother gameplay/clearing. Specifically Shield Charge is very fast with this setup.

-Fortify. Shield Charge fast. Fortify good. Witch so slooooow. =)

-Evasion evasion EVASION! Because of Escape Artist we get to make use of huge evasion from our chest and gain a massive EV boost from our Helmet. This gives us a huge boost to our natural defenses. With my gear I have 13k Evasion before flasks (48% chance to evade at 94!). This can be amplified even more if you choose Grace over Malevolence.

-Spell Dodge! 20% base from Ascendancy and I chose to invest into some Temple modded Spell Dodge boots for an additional 11%

Pros For Occultist

-Cheaper. Yup, because of Occultist' 250 flat ES from Ascendancy, it's much easier to make a strong Occultist with crappier gear. It's the main reason I went for OCC as league starter.

-Freeze/Chill Immunity. Gets it from Ascendancy. Trickster needs a flask or Dream Fragments.

-Wicked Ward. While trickster has a ton of defensive layers, Occultist has this. An awesome defensive mechanic that takes a lot to beat. Especially when you combine it with things like Apep's Supremacy for extra fast start.

-True Stun Immunity, therefore can use a different Major Pantheon. Trickster gets immunity only if you have Ghost shrouds, which combined with Brine King pantheon is VIRTUAL immunity, but not quite.

-MUCH higher Energy shield potential. Occultist paths through ES nodes at start AND get 250 flat ES. With identical tree and an equivalent ES chest, I would have about 13k ES vs the 11k that I have on my trickster(with my chest this can actually be improved on a LOT).

Gear

Example of some high end gear

Weapon

This is your end game. Scepter bases are cheap (basically free) and give roughly the same DPS as a T2 (11-12%) Cold DoT Multi Implicit. Do not purchase a scepter with this implicit unless it's 13%+ or it's already crafted.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up (or make) a Dagger with the Cold DoT implicit as these have no Strength Requirement and still allow you to use shield charge. I made my dagger base for 2ex+22c total cost.

Be sure your base is at least item level 78

Making Your Weapon

All you need to do to make this is Alt spam your base of choice until you hit the Heartstopping prefix. Once this happens it is highly recommended you imprint the magic base. Like, do it, just do it. You will need a Craicic Chimeral for the imprint recipe.

Imprint it, Regal, Annul, pray, repeat until successful.

If you hit the mod with a suffix on the blue item, you'll need to do this process twice. Once to remove the bad suffix, then reimprint with JUST the Cold DoT mod, and then go for Regal+Annul.

Once you've isolated the Cold DoT on your weapon, Mulimod and you're done.

Or just buy a rare dagger/scepter with some good damage mods and craft "Trigger a Socketed Spell when you use a Skill"
It's a suffix, it's 3c. I believe in you.

As a side note, the odds of hitting Cold DoT Multi T1 is roughly 1/3000.
I've done this three time now. First took ~400 alts and the second ~4,500, and my current one took ~1200. You will want a lot of alts to start off.

Helmet

For starters, The vertex is both readily available and is a VERY strong helmet for stacking both Evasion AND Energy Shield. The +1 Gems makes this a great place to put your Auras (Enlighten) or you 4L Cold Snap (more dps).

These are self-crafted using Dense+Frigid fossils on a synthesized base. This is the type of helmet I would go for when you have lots of currency to dump into something that isn't your chest piece. Aspect of the Spider is on the one helmet because of how my gear was configured. I decided it was easier to get the resists I needed on an amulet instead. Aspect of the Spider can be placed on any piece of jewelry and is typically preffered.

For a helm enchant, I would go for Mana reserve on Discipline/Malevolence(Or Grace if you go that route), Vortex Damage, Vortex CDR, or anything you find useful.

Shield

Ahh, Reflection. The heart of the build (for me). This +
allows us to be both CI and LL simultaneously. Comes with the added benefit of having very reasonable EV/ES values, huge INT for more ES%, All res, and curse "immunity"

This is the end game shield for DPS. NOT REQUIRED for the build to function.

I used something like this before reflection. If you can find one, buy a Fractured base with T1 EV/ES and craft that. I spent a few chaos just spamming this for the strict purpose of including it in my guide. I prefer EV/ES base over pure ES because of how much Evasion it can give you at a low cost. Once they release the next patch allowing fossils to be used on fractured items, it will be much easier to gain 300+ES hybrid shields.

A pure ES shield will also suffice. But if you want to invest over 20ex into a high ES shield....just grab a Reflection :D

Boots

Oh hey, ANOTHER great EV/ES Unique. Sin treks are the best budget ES option available and they come with Evasion to boot (pun intended). Go with these until you can afford better.

This was an interesting choice for me. Trickster Ascendancy already gives us 20% spell dodge, so I wanted to add to that. These are the Temple Boots with 30%MS+11-12% Spell Dodge. I regal'd+Annul'd and then Multimodded. This takes me from dodging 1/5 spells to 1/3 spells. and goes up to 42% Dodge with Quartz Flask up. Seems good to me.

Dream Fragments on legs. You can also make something like this (with or without onslaught implicit) I like these because I like having Freeze+Chill Immunity. Can't be made on Temple Dodge boots and will have much less ES than other options because the Cannot Be Frozen is a Prefix. Best bet would be to get some +30 ES base if you can't afford Onslaught base and craft on those for decent ES. I crafted with Scorn Essences (and Annuls) to get some Spell dodge.

Yes you can get INSANE ES boots this league, but you can't get them with spell dodge. That said, if you want to go that route go for it, that's totally fine.

As for enchant, I would go with Movespeed if you haven't been hit recently, Life+Mana Regen if you have been hit recently, or Spell Dodge if you've been hit by a spell recently.

Gloves

I like having my pseudo 5L for Cold Snap. Using Essences of Delirium for the 30% more DoT to socketed skills is my preferred method. Get some Synth gloves with flat ES implicit and you can make decent ES gloves very easily.

A DPS option with reasonable ES if you are like me and wanna push DPS. Not even close to needed, but REALLY nice damage.

If you don't care about the 5L CS, just go for ES+Resists. You can also craft +1 AOE gems if you have an open prefix.

Body Armour

The bread and butter of the Trickster Ascendancy. Go with a High Evasion/ES chest. Because of how the Trickster buff works, every 6 EV on the chest=1 ES on it allowing us to stack evasion for maximum defensive values.

Arcane Surge Support
While you can get Arcane Surge in other places, the support gem itself grants 10% more damage to the supported skill. This equates to 21% more damage to your Vortex when you have it on your chest. (I don't have enough sockets to put it with Flame dash)

That said, you don't *need* it. you can just drop something from CWDT setup for Flame Dash+Arcane Surge if you want it. OR skip it altogether.

I recommend grabbing a Fractured EV/ES base to craft on with Dense+Aetheric to get this mod. (after they release patch). This should make getting Arcane Surge with good EV/ES Values MUCH easier.

You can also just use an EV/ES Atziri's Splendour or Generic EV/ES Chest like this one:

Belt

If you're using Atziri's Reflection

Otherwise a rare Crystal belt with ES/Resists/Strength

Ascent from flesh is a reasonable budget option that you can also use for leveling.

Rings

I go for mark of the Shaper and an Elder Rare for maximum dps. Also the Anomalies generated by the ring do a lot of damage as they are Cold DoT. Mine do 207k, for example.

If you can't afford This setup (because resists become a real issue at this point) then just go with ES+resist rings with an open prefix for Faster Start of ES recharge. By the very nature of this playstyle, ES Recharge is a major defensive mechanic vs bosses.

Amulet

ES, ES%, Attributes for gear, resists.
You can also get Cold damage over time multiplier on a shaped amulet. So that's an option as well.

The high budget option would be to go for a Malevolence Aul's. Zealotry is an option too since it also gives a free DPS boost + ES%.

If you take the Aul's Route, you can use a second 50% reserve Aura. I am using Hatred for more DPS. Zealotry and Grace are also good option.

Note: this makes your resits that much harder to cover.

Jewels

Rare jewels with ES% and a couple damage mods or required resists.

Get a watcher's eye with useful mods. That's really it. I went for ES on hit and CWDT+Ball Lightning in addition to the Storm brand and orb of Storms proccing off of my weapon. This makes you almost invincible when charging into pack of monsters. It's EXTREMELY nice when delving into darkness or just running the mines in general. Less useful against bosses, but noticeable.

Other modifiers you can look for:
Discipline ES Recovery Rate
Discipline Faster Start of ES Recharge Rate
Clarity X% of Mana Gained as Extra ES

Then, depending on your choice of Grace or Malevolence you can go with one of those.
Malevolence Cold DoT multiplier
Malevolence Bleed Immunity
Grace Movespeed
Grace Evade %

Passive Tree/PoB

There are many ways to build this tree. Based on your playstyle you may wish to take more AOE or not. I don't because I feel it's not needed. Some people will disagree.
Here are a couple tree variations you can choose from:
Note: Only take Pain Attunement if you can afford Atziri's Reflection+Coward's Legacy

In both cases from 85-90+ you will just fill out any remaining ES nodes and Path of the Savant (Scion Wheel).
Ash, Frost, and Storm: I take this mostly because I need the resists. it comes with decent damage and helps with Ele Reflect maps. Lower budget builds will have an easier time capping resists and may not need this.

Pantheon

Brine King for major pantheon will make you all but immune to stuns.
Yugul for Reflect Maps
Abberath for burning ground if you care.
Ralakesh for things like Uber Elder or Uber Atziri or default.

Skill Gems and Links
You can see what I use on gear, but I will add an explanation here soon. Like the actual next thing will be this. But real quick:
Grace or Malevolence?

This is up to you. Grace gives more defense, Malevolence more offense. I would usually default to Grace though as my DPS is pretty high as it is. That said, I use Malevolence because of my watcher's eye. It makes Malevolence give me 39% more dps. And that is a lot. Like a lot a lot. If you get a good Grace Watcher with a Discipline mod, go with Grace.
Grace gives me 10k Evasion and an additional 10% chance to evade on its own.

Either one is good. Take your preference.

5L/6L Vortex
Vortex - Efficacy - Hypothermia - Elemental Focus - Controlled Destruction - (6th Link)Swift Affliction

4L Vaal Cold Snap
Vaal Cold Snap - Bonechill - Hypothermia - Efficacy
I have this slotted into my gloves with the Essence mod "Socketed Gems deal 30% more DoT damage" Otherwise you can put this anywhere.

3L/4L Auras
Discipline - Malevolence or Grace - Enlighten - Flame Dash
Aul's people
If you are using
then you can add Hatred or grace to the build. This will be the 4th link. Flame Dash can go elsewhere.

3L/4L CWDT
This one is a bit dependent one what Watcher's Eye you end up with. If you have one with ES gained on Hit Discipline, then I recommend these:
CWDT - Ball Lightning
I have Vaal RF slotted into my third link for bossing. other options include:
Purifying Flame (For consecrated ground regen spam)
Enfeeble level 5 for more defense
Leveled Flame Dash + Arcane Surge onto a 4L if you don't have Arcane Surge on chest.

Shield Charge 3L/4L

Shield Charge - Fortify - Faster Attacks
This can go into your shield. Or, onto a 4L and put Flame Dash in the 4th link.

Weapon only 3L
Storm brand - Frost bomb - orb of Storms
These proc your Elemental Equilibrium and Apply Cold Exposure They are a must.

Last edited by Gryphenprey on Apr 22, 2019, 1:51:13 AM
Last bumped on Apr 22, 2019, 12:43:16 AM
Reserved.
Added a Shaper Video
Hey, could you add me so i can ask a few questions? Thanks!
"
kittyyyyy wrote:
Hey, could you add me so i can ask a few questions? Thanks!

Hi, if you have questions feel free to ask here as other people might have the same questions.

I will be making some updates. Uploading videos for Aul, Chayula, Uber Elder. Gear update.

On my to-do list: Budget-ish gear section. You don't need a Reflection to do well with this build. haha.
I've been leveling with this build, currently level 41. I'm very new, (only ~60 hours. First build got to level 89 but super low dps, right now I already have more dps than I do on that char).

Question 1:

Whats a good strategy for defense in the early game? Building ES doesn't work well (too expensive to constantly upgrade/can't find good enough pieces). I go a mix build but I've found myself dying with this a lot as you have to stay in close range for vortex.

Question 2:

Like you said leveling gear, the most difficult piece for me to find is the shield. What's a good shield piece or is a good spell damage rare the way to go?

Question 3:

Mobility. As someone who's only played ranger, I'm struggling on appropriate situations on what mobility move to use. Flame dash vs shield charge.

Question 4:

In your build, you have storm brand-frost bomb-orb of storms tied together on your weapon. When do you use these?

Thank you!
"
kittyyyyy wrote:
I've been leveling with this build, currently level 41. I'm very new, (only ~60 hours. First build got to level 89 but super low dps, right now I already have more dps than I do on that char).

Question 1:

Whats a good strategy for defense in the early game? Building ES doesn't work well (too expensive to constantly upgrade/can't find good enough pieces). I go a mix build but I've found myself dying with this a lot as you have to stay in close range for vortex.

With Vortex you only need to cast it near enemies, then you can walk away/dodge. Also I would utilize Cold Snap for most of your trash clearing as well. My strategy is usually to snipe packs with cold snap and keep vortex on top of myself for the mobs that charge into me.

In the early game I would recommend picking up some of the life nodes to help, then specc out of them when you go CI later. There are also a plethora of cheap uniques that you can use to get through the storyline. Some that I recommend that are roughly 1-3c:

I personally go for CI anywhere between Act 7 and Act 9. Typically once i have 4k es or so.

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 2:

Like you said leveling gear, the most difficult piece for me to find is the shield. What's a good shield piece or is a good spell damage rare the way to go?

For leveling, Glitterdisc will go a ways. But you will want to upgrade before maps. A rare ES shield will go a long ways. You can also go with an EV/ES shield. That is my preferred route so as to stack some nice evasion.
This shield can get you into maps and is very cheap

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 3:

Mobility. As someone who's only played ranger, I'm struggling on appropriate situations on what mobility move to use. Flame dash vs shield charge.

I use shield charge as my primary mobility in conjunction with my quicksilver flask and I use flame dash to get over obstacle/cliffs/walls/memory decay.

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 4:

In your build, you have storm brand-frost bomb-orb of storms tied together on your weapon. When do you use these?

Thank you!

You want to use that setup after you get Elemental Equilibrium. The purpose of the lightning spells is to proc EE. Since we are Cold DoT and our spells only "hit" once, while OOS and Storm Brand hit many times, we apply -50% cold res to everything that matters. Huge dps boost.

You will also need a scepter/dagger/any 1h weapon with an open Suffix for the "Trigger a socketed Spell when you use a skill" The craft itself is only 3c as long as you can find someone to do it (or if you have it unlocked, do it yourself).

Last edited by Gryphenprey on Apr 2, 2019, 10:50:41 PM
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 1:

With Vortex you only need to cast it near enemies, then you can walk away/dodge. Also I would utilize Cold Snap for most of your trash clearing as well. My strategy is usually to snipe packs with cold snap and keep vortex on top of myself for the mobs that charge into me.

In the early game I would recommend picking up some of the life nodes to help, then specc out of them when you go CI later. There are also a plethora of cheap uniques that you can use to get through the storyline. Some that I recommend that are roughly 1-3c:

I personally go for CI anywhere between Act 7 and Act 9. Typically once i have 4k es or so.

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 2:

For leveling, Glitterdisc will go a ways. But you will want to upgrade before maps. A rare ES shield will go a long ways. You can also go with an EV/ES shield. That is my preferred route so as to stack some nice evasion.
This shield can get you into maps and is very cheap

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 3:

I use shield charge as my primary mobility in conjunction with my quicksilver flask and I use flame dash to get over obstacle/cliffs/walls/memory decay.

"
kittyyyyy wrote:

Question 4:

Thank you!

You want to use that setup after you get Elemental Equilibrium. The purpose of the lightning spells is to proc EE. Since we are Cold DoT and our spells only "hit" once, while OOS and Storm Brand hit many times, we apply -50% cold res to everything that matters. Huge dps boost.

You will also need a scepter/dagger/any 1h weapon with an open Suffix for the "Trigger a socketed Spell when you use a skill" The craft itself is only 3c as long as you can find someone to do it (or if you have it unlocked, do it yourself).

Thank you for the really indepth answer! I'll let you know how it goes when I reach maps.
Made some updates:

Added Uber Elder Video

Added more in depth gearing guide
Great build. Love it. I skip Shield charge personally. I don't find it necessary though it might be nice in some situations with a lot of movement space without mobs to kill (Shaper realm, some large maps)

Also my tree is a bit different to make use of minion damage on my scepter. (Thank you @Gryphenprey !)

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAAbnDXwOSBBREFgQexEPEVATbRQJFLAXVBslHNwdFB9BIoEi9CaIKPorCiuaLJwsvzOjNbk7DTy2RwZJUUqfS65MLUyDTLNSslPUVEdWSFZKV8lca13yZp5ncWoba9tsC20ZbWxw1HSBdoJ7132wf8aCHoRIiEKJvIw2jHaNgo48jxqPRo_6kyeU8ZhTmK2boZ6hnsSfAaDmoS-jo6QFpr6nCKcrrJivm7EFtDi1SLcwtzG4k7jQvjq-isEAwcXDbcgM0B_Q0NHk2CTZW9o62jvbGtt641bjhOUZ53TpAutj6-7sGOyK7-vw1fVL98H31_iX-aT60vv1_rM=?accountName=xHavoCx&characterName=Picky_Tricky

Spoiler

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." - William James
"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info