[3.7] Ice Trap Saboteur - All Content Viable! (Good League Starter)

Shaper Kill Video

Uber Elder Kill Video

Alluring Abyss Completion Video

Intro

Hey guys, so this is my first build guide, feel free to leave criticism and comments below! This build is focused around the newly buffed Ice Trap gem, which in my opinion is one of the best options for traps in 3.6 now that Arc has been nerfed.

So why Ice Trap?

If you haven't read the patch notes, Ice Trap gained a rather significant buff in damage.
"
Circles now have a 20-25% larger radius.
Now deals 88 to 133 Cold damage at gem level 1 (from 67 to 101) and 898 to 1347 Cold damage at gem level 20 (from 579 to 869).
Now has an added damage effectiveness of 150% (from 90%).

To put the damage buff into perspective, you would need a level 25 Ice Trap in 3.5 to match a level 20 one in 3.6.

Pros and Cons

Like every build there are pros and cons to be weighed out, Ice Trap is no different.
Spoiler

Pros:
Can complete all content with ease once set up.
Good clear speed
Can run any map modifier (Details in map mods section)
Huge damage with little investment
Relatively cheap to start with and SSF viable
7k EHP with MoM
A really good league starter

Cons:
Traps aren't for everyone and can feel clunky
Doesn't have the clearspeed of pre-nerf arc.

Gem Links/Explanation

Feel free to explore which links work best for you, but here's how I set up my links:
Spoiler

Main Skill (Get these in this order)
Ice Trap - Cluster Traps - Trap and Mine Damage - Increased Critical Strikes - Cold Penetration - Increased Area of Effect (Replace with Concentrated Effect for tough bosses)

I've tried using other gems for the 6th link like Added Cold Damage, Advanced Traps and Empower but in my opinion the aoe is much better for clear, and you won't really need the damage once you set up your gear properly.

Movement Skill
Flame Dash - Arcane Surge (lvl7 MAX) - Faster Casting - Increased Duration

I know Flame Dash isn't for everyone, so feel free to use a Lightning Warp or Shield Charge setup instead. Level 7 Arcane surge procs with Flame Dash every time and Increased Duration makes the arcane surge last up to 8 seconds which is really handy for elongated boss fights like Uber Elder.

CWDT Setup(s)
4 Link: Cast When Damage Taken(lvl1) - Immortal Call(lvl3) - Increased Duration - Frost Bomb(lvl10)

3 Link: Cast When Damage Taken(lvl1) - Enfeeble(lvl5) - Summon Ice Golem(lvl3)

This is a rather lazy setup which allows you to not think about using curses, summoning golems or using Frost Bomb, but if you're more comfortable using those skills by self casting, do that instead. Ice Golem can also be replaced by Chaos Golem if you're happy with your crit chance.

Lightning Spire Setup
Lightning Spire Trap - Added Cold Damage - Culling Strike - Increased Duration

Lightning Spire Trap allows you to get a bit of extra damage off on bosses and I personally use it to Cull mobs with a high health pool (Red bestiary mobs etc.) and the Inc. Duration gem just keeps it up longer. We already benefit from a bunch of aoe from the tree.

Essence Worm Aura
Honestly I don't rate Hatred for an Aura any more. Zealotry seems like a good gem to use when your crit chance isn't ideal, it also buffs spell damage and adds conc. ground on hitting rare/uniques (100% increased crit chance on consecrated ground). Just be smart about the aura you use. Zealotry for damage, Clarity if you're having mana sustain problems, Grace/ Vaal Grace if you need that extra ER/Dodge for tough foes.

Final 3L setup:
Personally I go for Portal - Faster Casting and use the blank gem slot for a gem I'm levelling for the $$ but feel free to use Bear Trap or another supporting skill to boost damage.

Passive Tree

Not much detail here, use your own initiative if levelling isn't going well.
Spoiler

I don't really do levelling trees, I make a path for what I want to reach for at 90 and pick nodes based on what I require whilst levelling. Generally 300HP per act you're in is usually enough.

POB Link: https://pastebin.com/7nq0Tsf2

Bandits

Either help Alira or kill all. I prefer to kill all but the crit multi and all res is pretty nice from Alira.

Pantheon and Ascendancy

Fairly simple and straight forward.
Spoiler

Ascendancies are pretty standard for a trapper build. I go Perfect Crime - Chain Reaction - Pyromaniac - Born in the Shadows. Explosives Expert looks tempting with the ele pen and synergises with aoe but honestly blinding opponents is a huge survivability boost you shouldn't want to pass up.

Pantheon:
Major: Lunaris for mapping and ordinary content, Brine King for Uber Elder pays off much more.

Minor: Garukhan for mapping, but the attack speed debuff from Gruthkul is better for tough bosses.

Levelling:

Levelling is quite easy for traps, since you can use them from level 2.
Spoiler

As I said, as far as passives go, for levelling you want to just follow what you need at the time.

From level 2 you want to get Explosive Trap. In your 4L you want to use Multiple Traps Support in lieu of Cluster Traps. Once you can use Cluster Traps, swap because it's just much better. Ice Trap unlocks at level 28

Good levelling uniques:
Axiom Perpetuum at level 10 is a great one to use until you can get Divinarius.
Your bog standard levelling gear helps too, Tabula, Wanderlust, Goldirm etc. so be sure to pick those up if you can.

Gear

These are my preferred gearing options. Tweak offensively or defensively to preference.
Spoiler

My current gear

As you can see, most of my gear is pretty average.

Priorities:
Defensive:
Cap your resistances at 75%
Maximum Life
Maximum Mana (since we'll be using MoM)
Evasion Rating/Dodge (Atziri's Step is good if you can afford no res on boots)

Offensive:
Increased Area Damage/Area of Effect (for clear)
Critical Strike Chance/For Spells
Critical Strike Multiplier
Increased Cold Damage
Increased Spell Damage
Elemental Damage as Extra Chaos

Jewels:
You want to prioritise:
Clear Mind (unique cobalt jewel)
Maximum Life
Trap Throwing Speed
Critical Strike Multiplier with Cold Skills/Elemental Skills
Critical Strike Multiplier
Trap Damage
Area Damage
Cold Damage
Resistances (if your res is really tight)

If you really want to, you can lose a few points in max life, move them to the Frenzy Charge node in the Passive Tree (Near Mind Drinker) and use Inspired Learning, but I don't think you will get much benefit from it.

Other Gear Options:

Tinkerskin is a great defensive option as an alternative to Carcass Jack. I just prefer the increased aoe and damage it brings to the table.
Atziri's Step is a good defensive pair of boots to wear, has 30% MS, a good chunk of evasion and life on top of the 14-16% spell dodge. Good tech for Uber Elder.
Bubonic Trail offers 30% MS as well and 1-2 abyssal sockets (not including the jewel in my stygian vise) can boost that damage even further.

Enchantments: For helmet you want 10% Ele pen with Ice Trap, it clears fast enough and this helps with bosses.
For boots you want Ele pen if you haven't killed recently. Because traps take the kill and technically you don't, this is a straight 10% ele pen buff that never goes away (unless your flame dash kills something).

Last edited by SanguineLaw on Jun 9, 2019, 5:33:46 AM
Last bumped on Sep 5, 2019, 11:18:47 AM
Map Modifiers to watch out for

Although this build can run any map modifier, some are better left alone if you're worried about dying or are close to a level and don't want to take a risk.
Spoiler

No Regen - You have a life and mana flask to sustain your health pool, but it nerfs the 20% life regen from your Pyromaniac ascendancy.
Dodge chance is Unlucky - Avoid if you can, but perfectly runnable, just requires a bit more caution.
Elemental Reflect - Whilst your traps don't kill you in ele reflect maps, your Flame Dash might if you hop over too many mobs at once (avg. 2k fire damage per hit with a 20/20 Flame Dash) something that's killed me a couple times.
Crit Chance/Crit Multi - One shots might be imminent if you're not careful, a doable map mod but one to be wary of
Curses - Temporal chains can be irritating, as for Enfeeble, Vulnerability and Elemental Weakness goes, just pop your flask of Warding to remove the debuff, which should be up 100% of the time once your build gets going and clearing is easier.
Reduced Flask Charges - Slows down your progress through a map marginally, but not dangerous.

Q&A

I will be responding to any questions you might have about the build, including suggestions so feel free to post.

Update Log

20/03/19 - Updated to include Enchantment options in the "Gear" section.
21/03/19 - Updated Uber Elder kill video to a deathless version
14/04/19 - Updated PoB link to include the level 97 passive tree.
Last edited by SanguineLaw on Apr 14, 2019, 10:56:33 AM
You're PoB link was a bit messy. I cleaned it up for you.

https://pastebin.com/874RXQxF
Last edited by kan333 on Mar 19, 2019, 11:13:09 AM
"
kan333 wrote:
Your PoB link was a bit messy. I cleaned it up for you.

https://pastebin.com/874RXQxF

Oh, didn't realise there was anything up with it, thanks!
hey i like the build and guide im thinking of giving it a try only question im confused about is i noticed alot of ur gems on the POB are all over the place in levels? should most of them be lvl 20 or should i follow the POB on gem levels?
"
FL_Killua wrote:
hey i like the build and guide im thinking of giving it a try only question im confused about is i noticed alot of ur gems on the POB are all over the place in levels? should most of them be lvl 20 or should i follow the POB on gem levels?

I've put max levels of some gems in parenthesis under the gem links header, this is for good cause, it's either in a CWDT setup or it's Arcane Surge, which is level 7 so it procs every time you cast Flame Dash rather than every other time.
This looks very fun to play. Just came back to play this league, I actually want to experience HC in this league. Do you think this is a good build for HC which I did not have much experience with?
"
jason57458 wrote:
This looks very fun to play. Just came back to play this league, I actually want to experience HC in this league. Do you think this is a good build for HC which I did not have much experience with?

As far as experience goes, this probably isn't the best HC build out there because sometimes you can just luck out and take a crit 1 shot in high tier maps. Playing traps in HC is definitely viable, just pointing out the flaws.
"
SanguineLaw wrote:
"
jason57458 wrote:

As far as experience goes, this probably isn't the best HC build out there because sometimes you can just luck out and take a crit 1 shot in high tier maps. Playing traps in HC is definitely viable, just pointing out the flaws.

Is there anything you recommend to prevent the "unlucky one shot" beside being careful and not roll dangerous mods on maps?
"
jason57458 wrote:
"
SanguineLaw wrote:
"
jason57458 wrote:

Is there anything you recommend to prevent the "unlucky one shot" beside being careful and not roll dangerous mods on maps?

Sure, Just look at the gearing section and choose the most defensive options. Tinkerskin, Atziri's Step, Vaal Grace etc. and make sure you have a Basalt flask for the 15% phys reduction. The phasing from Tinkerskin can also help you out of a tight spot if you find yourself in one. You should have about 5k hp and 2.5k mana which is about 7k effective HP. If you're running crit chance + multi or unlucky dodge in high maps there's always a chance you'll get one shot.

As a gem switch for Flame Dash you could use Shield Charge - Fortify - Faster attacks for that added damage reduction. Hope this helps

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info