[3.7] Ultimate Physical Wander Guide [Kinetic Blast/Barrage] [All Content] [5M+ DPS] [In-Depth]

I'm going to be on vacation for 2-3 weeks, so I won't always be able to answer everyone's questions promptly. If you guys can help each other out that would be great.

In 3.7 this build has been buffed both defensively and offensively despite abyss jewel nerfs. However, buffs to rare + magic mob life + enemy hit chance partially counteracts this. Gearing should also be much easier + somewhat cheaper this patch since you have more flexibility in the shield + glove slot + less rare jewels required. Just added a new section on Timeless Jewels.

My goal is to make this the most definitive phys wanding resource for both standard and temp league so I will constantly update/improve it as my views change. I welcome any suggestions to help me improve the guide/build. Also, make sure to check back often to see if there are any new updates!

The guide is divided into two main sections. The first section (posts 1 + 2) discusses "budget" wanding viable for temp leagues while the second section (post 3) discusses high dps min-maxing in standard.

If you have any questions or want gear advice feel free to leave a post on this thread and I will get back to you as soon as possible. This is preferred instead of PM so that other people with similar questions can see the response.

Changelog
Spoiler
6/11 - revised gem section; we now use Precision aura instead of Herald of Purity. This will make gearing way easier by ensuring 100% hit chance without needing accuracy on gear; it also has a lower mana cost than a herald and several useful Watcher's eye mods.
6/12 - added a tentative Timeless jewel section. Will revise this in the future as we learn more about its mechanics. Added new node suggestion in the Passive Tree section (Snowforged vs. Master of Force).
6/13 - heavily edited the wand crafting section. Everyone following the guide should definitely reread this! Added a more defensive passive tree + redid the entire glove section, introducing specific crafting instructions. Added T16 guardian videos in the league-starter section; added an FAQ section on dual wield vs shields.

Temp League Phys Wander

Introduction

Phys wanders have long been considered "off-limits" in temp league mainly b/c of the prevailing myth that it costs hundreds of ex to make a viable one, or it's just pointless b/c ele wanders "are cheaper to gear and provide more dps". Both of these beliefs are completely false. In fact, with the 3.7 nerfs to abyss jewels/Unnatural Instinct disproportionately affecting ele wanders, phys wanders seem to have a clear-cut advantage over ele now except in the most budget cases. Phys wanders were largely unaffected because we weren't dependent on abyss jewels. If you want a bossing wander with solid dps, most likely phys will outperform ele. That being said, this isn't a cheap build that you can take to Uber Elder with zero investment. To tackle end-game bosses you'll need to spend some currency as elaborated below. If you only plan to farm regular maps all day you won't need to invest that much.

NOTE: This wander was built to have a balance between both end-game bossing and map clearing capabilities. For those who want to go the MF/more clearspeed route, you can do so with some minor changes (check FAQ section)

League-Starter Guide
Spoiler
League starter as a phys wander??? Wha?? Impossible!!

Contrary to popular belief, it's definitely possible to play a phys wander as your first league character. Will it be the smoothest character to start out with? Probably not, but content up to T15s is doable for most people using only leveling gear. However, for T12+ it won't be too comfortable at the start... so stick to more vanilla map mods early on in the gearing process. The goal is to farm yellow and low red tier maps, gain some levels, get money and begin making upgrades.

Below are videos of my friend trying out T16 guardians for the first time using pretty much all the leveling gear mentioned later + Dying Sun + Taste of Hate + 2 rare non-abyss jewels; excuse some of the sloppy play + rippiness. :P The intention here is to display the potential of the build with its most budget + naked setup.

T16 Minotaur w/ increased boss life/AOE + crit chance/multi. No fortify.

T15 Summit Boss deathless. No fortify.

T16 Phoenix. No fortify.

It may be easier to level first as a bow character, taking generic damage + life nodes that benefit both wanders + bowyers, or if you have enough respec points you can spec into bow nodes and respec out of them later.

Here's a video describing the leveling process. You can probably make the transition to wander once you're able to equip Hyrri's Truth (lvl 64) and have a tabula. Instead of Atziri's Promise you could also use Wise Oak to help with resist cap, but make sure to keep cold resists higher than fire + lightning to get the cold penetration.

POB:
https://pastebin.com/MyTJ44mW

Gear breakdown (based on Day 3 League prices):
Hyrri's Truth (5c) + Tabula (14c) + Belt of the Deceiver (1c) + Thief's Torment (20c) + Hrimsorrow (1c) + Poet's Pen (9c) + Atziri's Promise (1c) + 3x 2 mod Cobalt jewels (1c each) = 53c total

The rest is just rare resists + life gear that can be IDed off the ground or costs a few chaos more. This setup is sufficient for clearing all white/yellow maps with no problem, and has enough dps to complete up to T15 maps. It's quite rippy though (only ~4k life), so make sure to keep fortify up via shield charge, use CWDT - steelskin, and don't mindlessly facetank eveything...

The following order of upgrade is what I find best in my experience; your mileage may vary...

Have a live-search up for good jewels so you can snag the best deals before everyone else; you should be doing this throughout the entire gearing process...

1) Complete your flask setup. Taste of Hate + Dying Sun will provide lots of damage + clearspeed + defense. Socket a Conqueror's Potency to get an extra proj once you get Dying Sun + spec into Alchemist!

2) Craft a +1 Barrage helm, and then upgrade to elder rings + drop Thief's Torment

3) Upgrade to a worthy belt + shield; hopefully your resists are capped or near-capped at this point

4) Transition into Loreweave + crafted wand

5) Buy Lethal Pride + Watcher's Eye + drop Hrimsorrow for a nice pair of rare gloves

6) Replace Hyrri's Truth with your end-game amulet

7) Get to lvl 95ish and go do all content

- make sure proj weakness + frostbomb are socketed into your Poet's Pen, that way it autoprocs and provides a good chunk of single target damage
- use the Precision Aura from Hyrri's Truth to reach 100% hit chance
- don't forget to gradually transition from the tree in the POB above into the finalized one

Can I afford this build?
Spoiler
The most important item is... a well-crafted wand. You can craft an endgame one yourself with ~6 exalts or possibly buy a similar one for less. You also want a Hatred conversion Watcher’s Eye, and ~10 ex for the rest of the gear. This is very cheap by phys wanding standards, and can probably get you through all map bosses and shaper, and perhaps uber elder if you have some skill. The less experienced will probably need to invest ~5-10 ex more to do uber elder comfortably.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
- enjoyably fast clearspeed.
- crunchy crits all the time
- easy playstyle; only uses 1 attack button most of the time.
- can reach decent single target dps sufficient for uber elder (with some investment).
- you shoot beautiful explosions out of a tiny stick. Hehe...
- very high damage ceiling; little to no diminishing returns the more you invest in the build.
- gearing up can be a science... or an art.
- you'll baffle all your friends by playing a phys wander in 2019.
- build is probably never going to be nerfed. Not based on any broken mechanics and isn't meta anymore, so likely isn't on GGG's hitlist. Also one of the classic build archetypes that's been around since forever and remains more or less unharmed. Expect the build to only get stronger with every future patch.

Cons:
- it's a life wander on the right side of the tree, so not an inherently tanky build.
- not meant for beginners; gearing up requires planning and assessment.
- needs some currency investment before it starts to feel really good.
- point blank barraging is a skill that requires some practice to develop.
- not meant for farming very deep in delves. Can probably farm depths around 350 comfortably, but go deeper at your own peril.
- bossing requires actually engaging with game mechanics. Not a mindless faceroll build unless you invest a lot of currency.
- piano flasking 12345 12345 12345; petition GGG to allow flask macros!

Quick Offense/Defense Summary
Spoiler
Offense
Just to make things clear, this isn't a physical wander in the sense that we deal mainly physical damage. In fact, no true physical wander really exists. We focus rather on converting all of the phys from our wand and abyss jewels into cold damage, which allows us to take advantage of both %elemental and %physical damage modifiers. On top of this, we also scale some efficient sources of flat cold. Therefore this wander is technically a hybrid between a phys conversion and an ele wander. For simplicity's sake we will just call it a "phys wander".

Pretty straightforward. We convert/invest in cold instead of lightning/fire for 5 main reasons:

1) Winter Spirit node cluster makes it super easy to fully convert.

2) Hatred is the best dps aura especially with the change to a "More" multiplier for cold damage.

3) Cold pen from the tree is easily accessible.

4) Frost bomb applies a powerful -25% cold res debuff unaffected by map mods. Since this build specializes in cold damage, this is a huge damage multiplier. Lightning stacking ele wanders and tri-flat piscator wanders can't effectively use it.

5) Cold damage provides chill/freeze which greatly helps with survivability by slowing down enemies and keeping them at a distance.

Defense
Barrage requires you to facetank within melee range, which isn’t the most pleasant method of tackling bosses. To overcome this problem, we try to steer away from rng-dependent defenses and focus more on overall tankiness and a high life recovery rate from leech + life gain on hit to mimic instant leech.

5.2-5.5k life, but you can reach 6k+ if you sacrifice some damage.

78% all ele resists

20% block chance + 30% dodge chance = 44% of attacks will miss you

~60%ish chance to evade if you use blind on hit jewel (recommended)

16% reduced elemental damage taken

30% physical damage taken as cold damage from Taste of Hate. This is equivalent to ~1300 extra life against large physical hits

~ 3-4k life recovered per second when barraging/facetanking with Vaal Pact + elder LGOH rings

Steelskin procced by CWDT absorbs 70% of incoming damage up to ~1-1.5k depending on gem level. This reduces your chance of getting KOed by back to back large hits

Shield charge procs fortify, granting 20% reduced damage from hits. This is equal to an additional ~1000 life

Other damage mitigations on gear, flasks, pantheon etc.

Map Mods
Spoiler
This build can safely do most map mods. The ones I would definitely avoid are ele reflect and no leech. Don't run phys reflect maps either unless you have rare conversion gloves (see later section).

Videos
Spoiler
All of the videos were recorded using self-crafted gear + wand on a 20-25 ex total budget. These videos are pretty old and since then the build has gone through major revisions. The dps has nearly doubled compared to what you see in these videos. I'll try to update them later when I have time.

3.7 Friend's first attempt using leveling gear: T16 Chimera w/ 40% ele resist + Beyond. No fortify due to bug :(

3.6 Uber Elder Kill
- cleaner fight; careless mistake at very end or else deathless

3.6 Minotaur Run -extra boss life

3.6 Phoenix Run

3.6 Casual mapping with Headhunter, T15 Waste Pool + Arachnid Nest

3.6 Deathless Uber Elder
- sloppy kill; first attempt and lag.

3.6 Hydra Run

Sample End-Game Gear (Synthesis League)
Spoiler

Gearing
Spoiler

!!!!IMPORTANT READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE YOU START GEARING!!!!
Spoiler
To reach 100% hit chance, you need ~701 total flat accuracy. This is a must. Luckily, a lvl 20 Precision aura gives exactly 701.... Some people may still have 99% hit chance, but if you can get lvl 21 Precision it will guarantee 100% hit chance.

You must have +2 mana gain on hit jewel or ring mod if you want to use Barrage. Or else you won't be able to sustain and your single target will be non-existent. This is one of the first things you need to get! Getting extra mana nodes doesn't help.

I’ve standardized all the damage modifiers this build uses into a point system. This will allow you to quickly compare different pieces of gear. Keep in mind these values should only serve as rough estimates, since each person's build is slightly different. Another thing to note is that attack speed not only gives dps but also life recovery from LGOH, which is an advantage not factored into this system.

In each gear section, I'll provide the total point value for the highest tier of each mod to make gearing up a little less painful, and also to lower the chances you get ripped off buying shitty gear. Keep in mind I will only provide point values for T1 rolls. For T2 or lower you can expect the same ranking to be valid in most cases. M1 = Tier 1 mastercraft.

The minimum amount of strength required for this build can be obtained from an onyx/agate base and high attribute Loreweave. If you aren't using an onyx/agate base, you may need some strength on gear. However, it's advised to get higher strength so you can better utilize Steelskin's defensive buff (~117-138 str). Dexterity + Intelligence requirements are easily met by tree pathing. One easy way to obtain all the strength you need is with the new Timeless Jewel Lethal Pride.

Lastly, I want to add that using this system, the wander showcasing ~5.5mil shaper dps in my POB pastebin has a total of 728 points (78% increased crit chance) across all gear + jewels EXCLUDING flasks + wand! If you reach approx. the same total number of points on your gear + have a roughly similar distribution of points across each modifier, you can expect to have 5mil+ shaper dps. Therefore, it may be wise to keep a point tally as you gear up so you can estimate where your damage will be in your finalized setup. Use my POB as a guide if you're unsure of the bigger picture. I've laid out every little detail on how to build your wander; if you follow my instructions meticulously you'll have good dps; if you take creative liberties, don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out well...

1% increased damage = 1 point
1% increased global physical damage = 0.5 point
1% increased cold damage = 1 point
1% crit multi = 1.6 points
1% increased elemental damage (with attacks) = 1 point
1% increased projectile attack damage = 1 point
1% increased attack speed = 2.6 points
1% non-chaos as extra chaos = 3.5 points
1% ele pen = 4.3 points
1% physical damage as extra cold = 2.5 points
1% physical damage as extra fire/lightning = 1.1 points
1 flat phys = 1.8 points (Add min + max values and divide by 2)
1 flat cold = 0.9 point (Add min + max values and divide by 2)
1 flat fire/light = 0.4 point (Add min + max values and divide by 2)
+1 to minimum frenzy charge = 41 points
1% cold damage as extra chaos = 2.6 points
1% chance to deal double damage = 5.7 points
1% increased global critical strike chance = 0.6 point (based on effective crit chance of ~73%, if your crit chance is <73% expect this point value to be higher)

Wand
Spoiler
It's probably best to craft your own wand because those on the market are often more expensive and provide less dps. The highest pdps wand doesn't necessarily give the most real dps, as pdps doesn't factor in local crit chance and ele pen.

Crafting Your Own Phys Wand
Spoiler
Don't craft using a shaper or elder base. Also, don't confuse crit chance with crit multi. Crit chance is the one you want on your wand.

Legion trade link (magic imbued crafting bases):
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/wZZwVrUb

Any of the imbued wands in the above trade link should suffice for you to skip Step 1 in the crafting process. Just remember that you encounter Flaring approximately 1/440 reroll attempts, so don't overpay for a crafting base...

Crafting Instructions:
1) Alteration spam an ilvl 83+ IMBUED WAND base until you hit T1 flat phys (Flaring). If you land on T1 %phys (Merciless: 170-179) instead, you can yolo augment to try to hit T1 crit chance (35%+) or T1 attack speed (14%+). Succeeding means you can move on to Step 2 and treat the Merciless as a Flaring for the remaining steps. If you hit anything else, just continue alteration spamming. Once you hit a Flaring, make sure NOT to augment. If your Flaring came with a bad suffix, apply an annulment to try to remove it.

2) Use the Craicic Chimeral beastcraft to make an imprint of the base. This step may be optional depending on the beast's cost. The Flaring mod isn't too rare (1/440) so most likely you can skip this step and just resume alteration spamming if it bricks later in Step 3. For those who got lucky in Step 1 and landed on both a good suffix + prefix, I advise you make an imprint.

3) Apply a regal orb. If you hit a good mod (T4+ %phys/T2+ hybrid %phys + accuracy/T1 %cold (prefix!)/T2+ flat cold/T2+ attack speed/T2+ crit chance), this step is complete and your wand might be better than advertised. If you regal a bad mod, yolo annul off that mod and proceed to the next step. If the annul bricks your base by removing the Flaring, apply imprint and repeat Step 2. If you didn't make an imprint, return to Step 1.

4) Slap on Multimod (2 ex), and craft M1 %phys (1 ex), M1 "Damage with this Weapon Penetrates % Ele Resists" (1 ex), M1 hybrid crit chance + quality (1 ex), and M1 attack speed (1 ex). If you got T2+ %phys + accuracy or T1 %cold or T2+ flat cold from Step 1, you can skip the ele pen mod and save 1 ex. The lucky few who hit a desired suffix in Step 1, or regaled a desired suffix/prefix in Step 3 will save at least 1 ex in this step.

5) Divine to a high roll.

6) Get Rank 3 Hillock in Transportation to add an extra 8% quality to your wand (recommended).

You're done! As you can see the process will on average cost 6 ex + price of magic base, so keep this in mind if you decide to shop for a finished wand. Don't be tempted to buy a wand with higher pdps but lacks crit chance + ele pen. Most likely they will be worse. I highly advise against making such a purchase until you've confirmed it's actually better via POB. Having high pdps but lacking attack speed mod hurts too since it cuts into our life recovery rate.

Chest
Spoiler

Loreweave is the best chest for this build. The 78% max res mod makes you tankier in general against ele damage and safer in -max res maps. The crit chance, %WED, attributes, flat phys, and even some flat life are all very useful for the build.

Farrul's Fur will give you the most dps on paper, but is pretty much inferior to Loreweave in nearly all practical scenarios. First off, the cost is ridiculous. With the money you spend on a Farrul’s you can spend it in other places to get even more damage using Loreweave. You also need to take a frenzy and power charge duration node on the tree to ensure 100% uptime which isn't efficient. Farrul's will give you only ~5-10% more dps than Loreweave but comes with a much higher price tag and loss of defenses.

Shroud of the Lightless is a decent budget option good enough for most content until you can afford a 6L Loreweave. Frankly, this is just a glorified Tabula with some extra life. If Loreweave is your ultimate goal, you could stick to a Tabula in the meantime...

What about an elder chest w/lvl 1 Maim or Belly of the Beast? I want more life!!
40% increased life is not that significant. With Loreweave, I could remove 9 passive points and inefficiently path into life nodes and come up with the same amount of life as a Belly user but with more damage. What's more, Loreweave's +3% max res gives you basically the same amount of ehp as a Belly against all elemental damage, which is the stuff that usually kills you.

As for an elder chest with "supported by Maim" delve mod, you're going to need a really really nicely rolled chest close to mirror tier to beat a Loreweave. It'll need to have a ton of flat life + %life + Maim + base crit. But having the Maim will raise your Barrage cost, which leaves less room for making mistakes. If you have this much currency to spend on a chest, may as well get the 50% increased damage implicit on a Loreweave or save up for a full set of decent 4 mod jewels, 2 mod Watcher's Eye, etc.

Shield
Spoiler
3.7 accuracy changes means you can reach 100% hit chance using the new Precision aura! This makes gearing way easier as you now can use a Rare Shield.

Treat this as a versatile slot for filling out your resists and getting some extra damage

Legion trade link:
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/jdWDVlHX

All the shields available in this trade link have at least a 70+ life roll and 3 useful mods excluding mastercrafted slot. Feel free to modify it to suit your needs/budget. Don't accidentally buy a shield with too high of a strength requirement!!!

PS: hybrid armor + ES shields have %all res as an implicit, which is far better than any other shield implicit.

T1 Shield Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

70+ flat life (mandatory)

%cold damage - 79 points (insanely rare)
%attack damage - 34 points
%elemental damage - 34 points
%cold as extra chaos - 34 points
%damage = %block chance - ~20 points
%global phys damage - 17 points
%increased life (Elder)

%cold as extra chaos (M1) (recommended) - 21 points
24+ hybrid flat life (M1)

Suffixes:

%attack speed - 34 points
%attack + cast speed - 21 points

30+% fire resistance
30+% cold resistance
30+% lightning resistance
9+% all resistances
Socketed Gem have 15% reduced mana reservation (Shaper)- free Enlighten 4, frees up gem slot

%double damage (M1) - 29 points
resists (M1)

Helm + Boots
Spoiler

+1 barrage projectile helm enchant is a considerable dps and survivability boost since it gives both life recovery + damage. Prioritize getting this.

For boot enchants, my personal favorite is the flat cold damage to attacks when hit. This is triggered a lot during difficult boss fights like uber elder. 10% ele pen gives the most theoretical dps but isn’t up for encounters with lots of adds (like uber elder). 16% attack speed if you’ve killed recently is also a very solid clearspeed option

For these two gear slots, you want a unique that provides 2 abyssal sockets (for dps), and a rare that provides high life + resists. There are currently four helm + boot pairings I'd recommend, each with their strengths + weaknesses. If you can't decide on which, go with the one that you can most easily get a +1 barrage enchant on.

Rare Helm + Bubonic Trails
This will be the easiest setup to acquire since a +1 barrage base is relatively easy to find and you can essence craft it without much risk (see instructions below). It's also the highest dps setup unless you can get Onslaught implicit on rare boots (impossible in 3.7). I highly recommend you craft your own helm.

Crafting the Rare Helm
Spoiler
Buy a +1 barrage enchant base (evasion/armor are easier to roll than ES). Make sure it's at least ilvl 72+, ilvl 84+ is recommended. Spam shrieking/deafening essences of greed/hatred/wrath/anger until you hit 2x T2+ resists, high life, and an open suffix. You can then mastercraft +20% hybrid resists for a helm that gives 125%+ total resists.

Mods to look for:
Spoiler
Useful prefixes (ranked)
High life roll (mandatory)

%physical damage from hits taken as fire damage (mastercraft) (recommended)(solid defense boost, provides ~7% phys damage reduction = ~350-400 life)

+1 proj gem level + proj pierce 1 additional target (mastercraft) (extra buff for your Kinetic Blast)

12% WED (mastercraft)

Useful suffixes (ranked)
40+% resists x 3 (get as much as you can, aim for 120+% total!!)

Hale Negator + Rare Boots
Hale Negator is nice because it instant heals up to 3% life x # of abyss jewels in your setup any time you take a hit dealing more than ~800 damage (there's a 1 second cooldown). The longer you go without getting hit the more it'll heal you in one instance. This can definitely be a life saver in bossing situations. The drawback is that a +1 enchant on it may be hard to find.

You'll also need a pair of very nicely rolled, high resist + life rare boots to go with Hale Negator. This is more difficult in 3.7 since fractured boots no longer exist.

Lightpoacher + Rare Boots
Lightpoacher is also a very solid choice. The %all res helps with capping your resists, and the Spirit Burst helps a little with clearspeed in open area maps. You'll have slightly less life than the other two setups though.

You'll also need high-res + life + movespeed rare boots...

Starkonja's Head + Rare Boots
This is likely the cheapest +1 barrage helm available, and will give ~5% less dps than the three setups above. One big advantage though is the two extra gem sockets, which really comes in handy since this build is socket-starved. Unfortunately in 3.7, rolling good rare boots will be harder so this may not be the most budget option.

Rings
Spoiler

I highly recommend having at least one elder ring in your setup with T1 life gain on hit mod. You fire ~30-40 projectiles per second with barrage so each LGOH mod grants you an additional 600-800 life recovery per second, which greatly assists with facetanking. It's definitely possible to do all content without these elder LGOH mods, but they really are a huge QOL, especially for lazier/less experienced players. Upgrade the ring slot first since decent elder rings will be the hardest item to find and you always have more flexibility earlier in the gearing up process. Of course, if you find some insane dps non-elder ring, you should use that instead...

Legion trade link:
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/Xg3OKJsP

This is a trade link for all rings with 50+ flat life and at least 3 useful mods. Feel free to make the filter stricter, set LGOH as mandatory, etc since a lot of these rings are pretty crappy.

T1 Ring Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

15+ life gain on hit (Elder) (T2+) (highly recommended)
50+ flat life (M1) (T3+) (highly recommended)

%elemental damage w/ attacks - 42 points
Flat cold to spells + attacks (Shaper) - 32 points
Flat cold to attacks - 28 points
Flat phys to attacks - 22 points
Flat light to attacks - 16 points
Flat light to spells + attacks (Shaper) - 15 points
Flat fire to attacks - 14 points

2+ mana gain on hit (Elder) - need it here or on a jewel to sustain Barrage

%elemental damage w/ attacks (M1) -23 points
%damage (M1) - 20 points
Flat cold to attacks (M1) - 19 points
Flat phys to attacks (M1) - 15 points

Suffixes:

%projectile attack damage (Elder) - 35 points
%crit multi (Elder) - 32 points
%cold damage - 22 points
%attack speed - 18 points
%crit chance (Shaper) - 15 points

30+% fire resistance
30+% cold resistance
9+% all resistances

+1 minimum frenzy charge (M1) - 41 points
resists (M1)

Belt
Spoiler

Rare Belt

As a pathfinder, the tree provides 46% flask effect, so you need an additional 4% to reach the threshold for an extra projectile from Dying Sun flask.

You'll need either the Conqueror's Potency jewel, or "%increased effect of flasks on you" (prefix), which is a Jun mastercraft/elder mod. This mod is therefore worth an entire jewel slot, and should be weighed more heavily than any other belt mod

Try to get at least one %elemental damage mod on the belt like a high WED (36+) or %ele damage suffix (30) in addition to the %flask effect mod. I highly recommend stacking 75+% elemental damage here... Stygian vises will probably be better/easier to find than a well-rolled elder leather belt.

Headhunter if you can afford it. Boosts your clearspeed significantly. Will make it harder to get resist capped though.You should still own a stygian vise or an elder leather belt for bossing situations like uber elder. Try not to get any resists on your belt. Go for life, pure damage + flask mods instead. Also remember to replace your Conqueror's Potency with a well-rolled jewel for boss fights. If you don't want to swap jewels each time, ditch the %flask effect and try to get a useful delve/elder prefix or mastercraft %20 increased damage.

T1 Belt Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

4%+ flask effect on you (M1) (Elder) (highly highly highly recommended)

%elemental damage w/ attacks - 50 points
%cold damage (frigid fossil) - 30 points
%global phys damage (jagged fossil) - 15 points

%increased life (Elder)
%chance for flask not to consume charges (Elder)
%flask life recovery

%elemental damage w/ attacks (M1) - 32 points
%damage (M1) - 20 points

Suffixes:

%attack speed during flask effect (Elder) - 36 points
%projectile attack damage during flask effect (Elder) - 35 points
%elemental damage (prismatic fossil) - 30 points

30+% fire resistance
30+% cold resistance
9+% all resistances (Elder)
%reduced flask charges used
%flask charges gained
%flask effect duration
%life recovery rate (Elder) - will increase your "leech cap" by buffing LGOH

%flask effect duration (M1)
resists (M1)

Gloves
Spoiler
Rare Conversion Gloves

I suggest getting at least a pair of ilvl 76+ gloves for crafting. ilvl 76 unlocks the chance of rolling T1 attack speed suffix, which is probably the best damage mod in this slot.

You have two options:

Option 1: Find gloves carrying the Temple mod: Topotante's (hybrid flat cold + phys to cold conversion). This will enable you to mastercraft the very strong %damage during flask effect mod as a prefix. Drawback is that you can brick these gloves easily.

Option 2: Craft a pair of Gripped Gloves + leave an open prefix to mastercraft 20+% physical damage converted to cold damage. This mod + Watcher's Eye + Winter Spirit cluster = 100% phys to cold conversion and allows you to run phys reflect maps. The drawback is that you won't be able to mastercraft any of the juicy damage prefixes without paying for an expensive multimod + wasting a suffix slot, but the Gripped Gloves implicit will at least compensate for the lost suffix.

Got 2 exalts to spare? Craft these insane damage gloves!
Spoiler

You can craft this pair of gloves GUARANTEED with ~2 ex. Most likely it will beat out anything you can craft using fossils, with very little RNG involved.

Instructions

1) Obtain a pair of magic gloves with Topotante's prefix (hybrid flat cold + %phys converted to cold) and an empty or useful suffix.

2) Yolo regal; if you hit a mod such as high life or T1 attack speed, or a mod you need such as high resists, you can move on to Step 3. If you hit a bad mod, you can buy another pair of Topotante's and try again or attempt to annul off the bad mod. At the time of writing this, the gloves are dirt cheap. If somehow their prices go up a lot, go straight to annulling.

3) Craft multimod (2 ex), M1 %damage during flask effect (4 chaos) , M1 flat life (4 alchs), M1 hybrid %ele damage if crit + %crit chance (4 chaos), and M1 attack speed (2 chaos). You could also replace one of the suffixes with resists (3 chaos) if you're desperate...

4) Divine it to a high roll.

5) Get a nice enchant from Uber Lab (optional).

Congratz you're done and you'll never need an upgrade again!

Other than life + conversion mod being mandatory, the rest of the affix slots are flexible. This is probably the easiest item to self-craft.

If you want to buff your KB, you can craft a pair of Elder Gripped Gloves (ilvl 76+). I find this unnecessary since KB has enough damage already. This option is mainly for those who focus only on speedclear.

T1 Gloves Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

20+% physical damage converted to cold damage (M1) (mandatory!)

Flat phys to attacks - 14 points
Flat cold to attacks - 11 points

Supported by Faster Projectiles (Elder) - KB buff

%damage during flask effect (M1) - 28 points

+1 lvl of Projectile gems/+1 Pierce (M1) - KB buff
24+ hybrid flat life (M1)

Suffixes

%attack speed - 42 points
%attack and cast speed (Elder) - 36 points
%attack speed if you've hit a rare/unique (Shuddering Fossil) - 26 points

Supported by Faster Attacks (Elder) - KB buff
Supported by Chance to Bleed (Elder) - KB buff
Socketed attacks supported by crit multi (Elder) - KB buff
30+% fire resistance
30+% cold resistance

%crit chance + %elemental damage if you've crit recently (M1) - 32 points
%attack speed (M1) - 31 points

Tombfists will likely give more dps than the average rare glove, but there are several drawbacks. You aren't phys reflect immune, have less gearing flexibility, and you lose 1-2 gem sockets, which matter a lot for this socket-starved build. On top of that you need to buy more jewels... I suggest not going with Tombfists unless you are really really poor and need a temporary budget option.

Amulet
Spoiler

Rare Shaper/Elder Amulet
Agate is the best base, followed closely by onyx, but you can probably go with any implicit depending on whether you have strength anywhere else on gear (besides Loreweave). Shaper bases are better than elder b/c they have greater range of useful mods.

Try to get an amulet with at least 3 high tier damage mods and a good life roll. Or you can replace the life roll with another damage roll, and spec into 2 extra life nodes on the tree. If you really can’t find a cheap one, you can craft by spamming shrieking/deafening essences of contempt/scorn/suffering/hatred/loathing until you land a good combo of damage mods, yolo annul the bad ones and then mastercraft life or a decent suffix.

T1 Amulet Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

70+ flat life (recommended)

%elemental damage w/ attacks - 50 points
%phys as extra cold (Shaper) - 50 points
%non-chaos as extra chaos (Elder) - 46 points
%ele penetration (Shaper) - 43 points
Flat phys - 37 points
Flat cold - 28 points
%phys as extra lightning (Shaper) - 22 points
%phys as extra fire (Elder) - 22 points

%elemental damage with attacks (M1) - 23 points

Suffixes:

%crit multi - 61 points!!!!
%attack speed (Elder) - 34 points
%cold damage - 26 points
%crit chance - 23 points

42+% fire resistance
42+% cold resistance
42+% lightning resistance
15+% all resistances
%quantity of items found (Shaper) - for fun
%chance to gain P/F/E charge on kill (Shaper) - good for speed mappers

+1 to minimum frenzy charge (M1) - 41 points
%attack and cast speed (M1) - 16 points
%crit chance (M1) - 16 points
resists (M1) (not recommended)

Jewels
Spoiler
Abyss jewels have been nerfed, so go with non-abyss jewels in all your passive tree sockets. Make sure each jewel has at least %life + 2 damage mods (multi + attack speed with wand/shield). Attack speed with wands is the best mod since it can roll up to 8%. With shields is a bit worse (up to 6%).

You also need a single +2 mana gain on hit mod on a viridian jewel base if you don't have this mod already on your rings.

Remember that with Bubonic Trails, 3 mod Hypnotic + Murderous jewels function like pseudo-4 mod jewels. Attack speed if crit + crit multi can be found on any abyss jewel base other than Ghastly.

Both Blind on hit/Onslaught on kill mods are available on either murderous or searching eyes. I recommend you get one of each somewhere in your build. Onslaught for the bonus clearspeed and blind on hit for extra evade chance.

A 3 mod jewel with multi/attack speed is typically better than a 4 mod jewel with only %increased damage rolls, so don't be fooled and overpay.

Ideally you want the following:

1 Watcher's Eye
1 Lethal Pride Karui Timeless Jewel
3 cobalt jewels with multi/attack speed with wands/life
1 viridian jewel with +2 mana gain on hit + life + some other useful damage mod(s)
1 hypnotic eye jewel with life/crit multi/attack speed if you've crit recently to take advantage of bubonic trails' +10% damage bonus
1 murderous eye jewel with onslaught on kill/blind on hit + life + 10% damage from bubonic trails
1 searching eye jewel with attack speed if crit recently/life/multi or a high flat phys/cold roll

Of course, if you have good 4 mod searching eyes, feel free to replace the pseudo 4-mod hypnotic + murderous.

Abyss Jewels
Spoiler

Legion trade link (Abyss jewels):
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/kv629nU5

Any of these budget jewels will carry you to end game; find at least one jewel with blind + onslaught. Get mainly cobalt jewels for the tree (other trade link below!)

T1 Abyss Jewel Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

T2+ flat life (mandatory)

Flat wand cold - 19 points
Flat wand phys - 13 points
Flat wand lightning - 11 points
Flat wand fire - 10 points

Suffixes:

%attack speed if you've crit recently - 21 points
%crit multi - 19 points
Flat cold - 18 points
%attack speed - 13 points
Flat phys - 11 points
Flat light - 10 points
Flat fire - 9 points
%phys as extra fire if you've crit recently - 4 points

%blind on hit (should have 1 in setup)
%onslaught on kill (nice QOL, up for some boss fights)
resists

Regular Jewels
Spoiler

Legion trade link (Non-abyss jewels): https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/5ZPWqdfa

A cobalt jewel will be best for damage b/c of the mod: attack speed with wands. If you're considering a 4 mod damage jewel, make sure 3 of the mods are: %crit multi + %life + %attack speed with wands/shield.

This trade link doesn't include mana gain on hit jewels so don't forget about that...

T1 Non-Abyss Jewel Mods Ranked:
Spoiler
Prefixes:

%increased life (mandatory)

%attack speed with wands (highly recommended) - 21 points
%attack speed while holding a shield - 16 points
%damage with wands - 16 points
%cold damage - 16 points
%damage with 1-handed weapons - 14 points
%global phys damage - 8 points

Suffixes:

%crit multi - 19 points
%attack speed - 13 points
%projectile damage - 12 points
%damage - 12 points
%attack and cast speed - 10 points
%crit chance - 7 points

+2 mana gain on hit - need one in entire build setup
resists

Watcher’s Eye
Spoiler

Hatred 40% of physical converted to cold damage mod is essential for the build. If you’re very rich and want to get a 2 mod Watcher's Eye, you have several options. In terms of damage the order from best to worst will probably be something like this:

Flat cold (Hatred) > global crit multi (Precision) > %base crit (Hatred) = %cold pen (Hatred) > % attack damage (Precision) = %cold damage (Hatred) > % attack speed (Precision)

Lethal Pride Timeless Jewel
Spoiler

This jewel adds a mod to each node in its range. You want to socket it at the top of the tree. This location will give you 3 notable mods. You also get +4 strength per small node and +2 strength per travelling node which adds up to 34 strength! This will allow you to run a higher level Steelskin and not have to worry about attribute requirements.

For the 3 notables (Alchemist, Cruel Preparation, Wandslinger), you want one of the added mods to be "10% chance to Intimidate Enemies for 4 seconds on Hit". This is a huge 10% more damage multiplier. If the jewel you own doesn't add this mod to any of those 3 notables, you have to throw a divine orb on it to reroll its "seed" and check again. At the moment no one understands what the relationship is between seed number and mod combination so I can't tell you exactly how many divines this would take. Therefore, if you hit 3 good notables you can probably stop.

Aside from the "Intimidate on Hit", you can get up to two other really awesome damage/defensive mods such as the following:

5% chance to deal double damage
4% increased maximum life
10% increased Effect of Fortify on you
5% chance to gain an Endurance Charge on Kill
20% increased Physical Damage
5% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire Damage
You take 10% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
+20% fire resistance

Intimidate on hit seems to be pretty rare, so keep in mind that two 5% double damage mods gives slightly better damage than Intimidate on hit. If you can't get either of those, just strive for something that gives 1x double damage and 2 other useful mods.

Lethal Pride is way better than a perfect 4 mod cobalt jewel and probably cheaper too.

Corrupted Blood Immunity Jewel
Spoiler

Since we don’t use a staunching flask, we need to be immune to corrupted blood from nemesis rares and bloodlines magic packs. Kinetic Blast is excellent at screen clearing so mobs usually won’t get anywhere near you to inflict normal bleed. If you do suffer a bleed, you can usually outleech it or use a life flask or worst case scenario, log out. The benefits of not using a staunching flask far outweigh the drawbacks.

You need a corrupted rare jewel with “corrupted blood cannot be inflicted on you” implicit. A well-rolled one can be expensive so get one with 2-3 useful mods for cheap. Regular corrupted jewels tend to be cheaper than abyss ones. You could also try killing two birds with one stone by getting the implicit on a mana GOH jewel.

Murderous Eye
Spoiler

Tombfist users need one to take advantage of the intimidate effect. Look for flat life + 2 useful suffixes (see abyss jewel mod section above).

Conqueror’s Potency
Spoiler

This jewel is mandatory when using headhunter/rare belt without %flask effect to enable the extra Dying Sun projectile.

Last edited by Enahkra on Jun 26, 2019, 9:48:30 AM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2019, 2:28:20 PM
Gearing Tips
Spoiler
- Craft your high resist/life rare helm or boots first before you finalize your jewelry. This way you know how much resists you'll need on the other slots.

- Buy elder rings first b/c they are most expensive/hardest to find and buying these first will give you more gearing flexibility. If you want to be a rebel and not use elder rings, aim for higher dps regular rings instead.

- Amulet is your best source of damage on jewelry, so go for combinations of high multi/ele pen/flat phys/phys as extra cold/WED/life depending on your budget. Life isn't mandatory here. You can spec into 2 extra life nodes on tree to compensate so long as you're replacing life with an extra high-tier damage mod.

- Try to get a stygian belt with at least high life + 75%+ ele damage + open prefix for Jun's flask effect %.

- Use rest of the gear slots (shield + gloves + jewels) to round out resists + get extra damage.

- Keep a livesearch on for non-abyss jewels (preferably cobalt) with crit multi, life, attack speed, as well as for other jewels like mana on hit + abyss. If you see a good 4 mod jewel for a fair price, snatch it up quick!

Flasks
Spoiler

Dying Sun
#1 dps flask for wanders. The extra projectiles helps with both survivability/damage/clearspeed and the AOE mod is an extra clear boost; absolutely essential for build.

Diamond flask of the Order/Warding
This %crit chance suffix provides a huge chunk of dps so make sure to get it as soon as possible. You can also use Warding here, but expect to lose ~15% of your dps.

Taste of Hate
This flask gives you a lot of tankiness and the phys as extra cold is a solid dps boost. Essential if you want to do T16+

Quicksilver of Adrenaline/Order
This flask is a must-have for clearing maps quickly. Try to get "Alchemist's" prefix for even more movement speed. For suffixes you can either use "Adrenaline" for max movespeed or "Order" (% movespeed + %chance to avoid stun) for a balance of mobility and stun immunity.

Blood of the Karui/Life Flask
Blood of the Karui provides more life recovery than any crafted life flask. You can also use a Catalysed Eternal Life Flask/Bubbling Divine Flask of Staunching if you don't have a corrupted blood immunity jewel yet.

Utility Flask/Wise Oak/Atziri's Promise
For leveling and killing Uber Elder/Shaper/Chimera, use a life flask.

For Minotaur/Hydra or farming, when you don't care about the occasional death, use a basalt flask. Warding is the best suffix for this flask slot. You could also get a staunching if you're really paranoid/don't have corrupted blood immunity jewel yet.

Your life recovery from rings + Vaal Pact leech should be enough for life flask to be optional in most situations. KB + cold damage's freeze + chill makes sure mobs don't get anywhere near you to deal damage.

Another option is Wise Oak, which'll give you a lot of damage if your cold resists are the highest + keep you ele weakness-capped. If you can somehow balance your resists, Wise Oak provides a super strong defensive boost ~800 more life against elemental damage.

If you find yourself struggling with certain chaos damage betrayal encounters, an Atziri's Promise gives a good amount of damage + chaos resists.

Experiment and figure out what suits you best... it's really up to personal preference for this last flask slot.

Gems
Spoiler
lvl 21/20 Added Cold Damage should be the first gem you try to corrupt. Lvl 21 Hatred + Precision are also pretty easy to get b/c quality doesn't matter.

Barrage setup (chest)

For situations requiring single-target damage make sure to activate blood rage so you can access Energy Leech gem's 39% more damage multiplier.

Slower Projectiles is no longer recommended as it provides less damage, has a higher mana cost, makes sockets harder to color, and has way less projectile speed making it harder to hit targets outside of immediate melee range.

Kinetic Blast setup (gloves)

Aura + Heralds setup (helm)

- all your accuracy requirement for 100% hit chance comes from lvl 20+ Precision.

Extra Single Target Setup (wand)

- useful for T16 Guardians/Shaper/Uber Elder fight. Just drop it over the boss and it'll provide a huge damage boost.

Utility setup (shield)

- Blood rage provides a huge damage buff and triggers Energy Leech support gem. If you don't like the degen, only activate it for single target scenarios.

- Don't go higher than lvl 14 CWDT and and lvl 18 Steelskin. Most likely you won't meet the strength requirement anyway and will have to settle for lower level.

Shield Charge + Fortify setup (boots)

- currently not working likely due to a bug. Will be fixed soon...

- shield charge into the boss every few seconds to maintain fortify buff while facetanking. This will improve your survivability a lot by essentially adding ~1000 more ehp.

- make sure you keep the gem level low enough that you can meet the strength requirement.

Extra utility setup (for those with room)

- replace Fortify or CWDT setup with these two gems if you don't like them.

- turn on Vaal Haste right before boss for an extra damage/life recovery spike.

- Blood Rage and Lightning Golem can swap places so that CWDT auto-refreshes the golem (for lazy people).

Passive Tree/Bandits/Ascendancies/Pantheon
Spoiler

YOU MUST TAKE A MANA LEECH NODE ON TREE OR BUILD WON'T FUNCTION

If you have enough strength, spec into Snowforged cluster instead of Master of Force. Not only will Snowforged probably give more dps, you also get +10% cold and fire resistance which'll help with gearing.

Vitality Void is also a viable option; raises your leech cap at the cost of 2 points.

Once you have enough damage, you can consider switching to the more defensive tree, which is better for bossing.

Level 92 Passive Tree

Level 96 Passive Tree

Level 96 Passive Tree (more defensive)

Pathfinder Ascendancy
Nature's Boon - Master Alchemist - Veteran Bowyer - Nature's Adrenaline

Bandits
Go with Alira... she gives a lot of resists and juicy crit multi. Much better deal than 2 passive points.

Pantheon
Major Gods: Lunaris/Solaris each have their merits. I like Solaris b/c it's less rng-dependent.

Minor Gods: Shakari helps with strongbox opening and poison maps. This is preferred for general mapping. Ralakesh if you want extra layer of safety against normal bleeds + help with uber elder degen.

Path of Building Pastebin
Spoiler
POB link w/ multiple passive trees
https://pastebin.com/JqxLzd7k

FAQ Section
Spoiler

Q: I keep getting stunned and dying! How do I fix this?
Spoiler
First make sure you have over 5k life to avoid dying to most one-shots. Next, you can also replace the suffix on your quicksilver flask with the Betrayal (Order) mastercraft that gives up to 12% movespeed and 50% chance to avoid stun. Our pathfinder flask effect scales this up to 18% movespeed and 75% chance to avoid respectively. This should solve all issues with stun, but you will lose a little movespeed by sacrificing the "Adrenaline" suffix.

Q: I'm having trouble with mana sustain! It's making my barrage damage awful...
Spoiler
You definitely need a mana leech node on the tree and +2 mana gain on hit on one of your jewels or elder ring. You fire ~40 proj per second, so this mod will give you an additional ~80 mana recovered per second which is significant.

Barrage takes some skill/practice to use. You want to begin firing when you're certain you'll hit the boss. If you fire too early or from too far a distance and miss several times, you will run out of mana fast and be stuck with your default attack for 1-2 seconds. This can be very dangerous since your survivability depends on successful barrage hits.

If you find yourself constantly missing the boss with barrage due to poor mechanics/lack of practice, you can temporarily remove a herald until you feel more confident.

An Enlighten 4 is not necessary for the build and is very expensive, but having one can be a big QOL boost since it would enable you to miss multiple barrage attacks and still be able to recover.

Another option is a shaper shield with 15% reduced mana reservation. This functions like an Enlighten 4 and frees up a gem socket.

Q: How should I prioritize upgrading? I want to make my wander damage insane.
Spoiler
First off, don't underestimate how much character level does for your damage. A rule of thumb is that each level you gain is equal to ~3% more damage. So a lvl 90 compared to a 100, is nearly 30% difference in damage! That's like an extra gem link! Try to get 95+ if you can. Wanders are not the best builds for levelling since they're somewhat rippy so you could go the boring beachhead/breachstone route, which sucks but it definitely pays off.

Having mediocre jewelry + jewels is typically what separates an average wander from one with double or triple the damage. The amulet slot is the best place to get damage, so prioritize it there. Wasting valuable amulet + even ring affix slots on resists, attributes, etc. is a bad idea from an efficiency standpoint. Shields and helms tend to have the lowest damage modifiers, so follow the efficiency principle and stack as much resists as you can there in order to free up more room on your jewelry for damage.

As your overall dps increases, it becomes easier and easier to scale damage. For example, assume you just leveled and specced your newly earned passive point into a node granting 3% more damage. Someone with 2mil dps would gain 60k extra dps whereas someone with 8mil dps would gain 240k. So basically the guy starting out with four-fold more dps gets four times as much dps per incremental upgrade! This is of course an oversimplification, but it crudely demonstrates why one person can have triple the damage of another person without having triple the amount of damage modifiers. You have to keep making small, incremental improvements even if you think it won't make that much of a difference. They'll quickly add up and lead to an "exponential" increase in dps.

Q: I want to MF/clear maps really really fast rather than farm bosses. What changes should I make?
Spoiler
You can first start by juicing up your KB by making it a 6 link. I suggest testing out faster attacks/faster projectiles/chain/fork/volley; if you find your damage lacking, you can put in Added Cold/Cold Pen/Increased Crit Damage/Ice Bite. These gems have very similar damage values, and the best one really just depends on your setup.

You could also craft a pair of elder gloves with "supported by" mods + life and mastercraft 20+% phys converted to cold. This will give you a 5-6 link KB and also allow you to keep your barrage for single target purposes.

Since our original setup has Bubonics + rare damage gloves, we can easily switch into Sadima's + Goldwyrms with no resist problems. Similarly, our Loreweave doesn't provide resists either so you can swap that for a Queen of the Forest if you want, and get a warding flask/jade flask etc. to get a lot of movespeed. Your damage should still be good enough to farm map bosses.

You can also switch over to Deadeye ascendancy which will give more clearspeed than Pathfinder, but your boss farming ability will be somewhat reduced.

Q: Should I dual-wield instead of using a shield? What are the pros and cons?
Spoiler
Let's first consider what dual wielding gives us that shields don't: 10% more attack speed and 20% more physical damage. We also get access to Twin Terrors cluster, which provides lots of crit, and dual wield multi jewel mods.

My original plan for this build was to make a temp league wander that derived all damage from flat phys sources -a true phys to ele conversion wander or "phys wander" in the traditional sense of the word. However, the more I tinkered with the build, the more I realized that this just wasn't optimal. It's too difficult getting enough flat phys from wand + jewels for heavy investment into phys scaling to be worth it, especially since there're so many easily accessible generic ele damage multipliers (ex: 16% ele pen on wand). What's more, GGG has nerfed flat phys on abyss jewels, making true phys wanders even less feasible. So I decided to compromise and combine the best qualities of both ele and phys wanders in as optimal a way as possible. For the current version of the build, ~33% of our damage comes from flat ele sources. So in reality, the build is 66% phys wander + 33% ele wander. On the other hand, for standard league, mirrored phys wands with 470+ pdps exists, as well as legacy abyss jewels etc. This makes heavy investment into phys scaling worthwhile and flat ele scaling less attractive.

So why did all that matter for the question of dual wield vs. shield? Well, precisely because an important advantage of dual wielding is the 20% MORE physical damage. Since the build is only 66% physical, this multiplier is quite inefficient. You're effectively utilizing only a bit over half of that multiplier. We also have to consider what we give up in order to dual wield too. We lose a shield slot that gives high flat life + some damage/resists. This hurts our ability to gear up and also our survivability. The lower life may mean dual wielders need more life nodes on the tree, which is counterproductive. We also lose some good shield nodes and shield mods on jewels. KB and Barrage rely on both mainhand and offhand wands alternating attacks. This means you need at least two identical wands which will increase the build cost by ~6 ex. That amount of currency could get you a really nice shield. Overall, you will definitely gain some damage from dual wielding, perhaps 5%, at most 10%. But the drawbacks of less tankiness far outweight the advantages in my opinion. The build's biggest weakness is survivability, not damage.

Bonus Uber Elder Guide
Spoiler
If you have ~5.3kish life and 3mil+ shaper dps, comfortably killing Uber Elder just comes down to developing the right technique and fixing some bad habits. Having a non-potato PC helps a lot too since that fight is laggy as hell.

Habits to fix:
Tunnel-vision: The hardest thing to correct. I struggle with this a lot too. If you can't correct this habit, keep your eyes on Shaper for most of the fight. Elder's ice projectiles can be mostly avoided/tanked if you shift positions every 1-2 seconds, but Shaper's balls come in groups of three, so a single stun lock will likely result in instant death.

Overusing flasks: Practice developing an internal rhythm of hitting your flasks every 3-4 seconds. If you do this, your flasks will be up for almost the entire fight. Occasionally glancing at the bar below your flasks works too.

Tips:
"trick" at end of Elder portal phase(s)
During the portal phase, Elder is chained up in the center of the arena, and doesn't move. However, as soon as this phase is over, there's a short 2-3 second animation of Elder getting released from his chains. During these 2-3 seconds, Shaper is also once again vulnerable to damage despite still having the purple invincibility cloud around him. Most people don't take advantage of this window of opportunity because they think Shaper is still invulnerable even though he's not. Elder will be in the middle of his animation, which means you can safely facetank Shaper and deal as much damage as possible without worrying about Elder. If you pull this off, by the time Elder becomes aggressive again, you'll already be done phasing Shaper.

Shaper gives away his teleport location
Shaper often teleports to one of the four corners of the boss room to get away from you. He will always face the corner he's teleporting to before beginning his teleport animation, so if you watch him carefully before he disappears offscreen, you'll know the direction that his balls will be coming from.

Keep dialogue/game sound on
Shaper will usually say "gaze into the abyss" before he starts beaming, so upon hearing this dialogue you know to instantly move several steps to avoid getting caught in the beam. The groaning noises your character makes when you get chunked by damage/stun locked is also useful because that's your cue to drink your life flask. You can also hear when Elder/Shaper does their slam attack even if they're offscreen.

Circular motions
When you're repositioning, try to move in circular motion around the bosses. Never move very far in a straight line unless you know for certain the positions of both Shaper + Elder or you might run straight into three of Shaper's balls. Circular motions will also help you dodge most of Elder's projectiles, even if your attention is mainly fixed on Shaper. Circular motion will reduce your risk of getting hit by multiple balls. This is especially the case if you get slowed by Uber Elder, and Shaper is trying to simultaneously ball you down. You're moving like a snail at that point so you must move in an arc/circle to avoid them.

Move when Elder dives
If Elder dives into the ground, you are guaranteed to be slowed for the next few seconds as soon as he re-emerges. When you see him perform the action of diving, begin moving immediately; don't bother doing anything other than moving around the arena; focus on circular movements to avoid Shaper's balls and don't dps until the slow effect is over.

Stay within melee range of Shaper
This is something most people know already but I'll re-emphasize here. If you need to deal damage to Shaper, make sure to stay within melee range of him while barraging. This forces Shaper to use a weaksauce melee attack instead of chucking deadly balls.

Choosing the right moments to deal damage
The best time to attack is when Shaper is using his beam. As soon as you see Shaper entering beam mode, you want to get in point blank range and begin facetanking/dealing as much damage as possible to the vulnerable boss, relying on your life flask if necessary. Always focus your attention primarily on Shaper's ball attack rather than your barrage target. There's ~1 second in between each set of balls, so develop an internal rhythm for when to expect them. If Shaper is far away/offscreen throwing balls at you while you're barraging Elder, time your movement so that you take little side steps right before each set of Shaper balls arrive. You'll notice that most of the damage I deal in the video comes during Shaper beam phases.

Don't overestimate how fast his expanding "Ring of Death" procs.
Elder occasionally does this expanding ring attack that creates a small safe spot near him, and if you don't stand there when the attack goes off, you are guaranteed to get 1 shot. A common rookie mistake is to stand in the "safe spot" the entire time as soon as it appears. All of a sudden Shaper does his slam and you have no room to move because you think stepping out of the safe spot will mean certain death.
You actually have quite a while before the ring actually 1 shots you. Doing more Uber Elder will give you a feel for how long this period is. This is another situation where game sounds come in handy, you can usually hear when Elder/Shaper begin telegraphing their slam animation. As soon as you realize they're trying to slam you, sprint out of the safe spot and wait a brief moment before running back in. Otherwise you will most likely rip to Shaper/Elder's slam since it will cover nearly the entire safe spot. Or you'll run out of the safe zone to dodge the slam just in time to get 1 shotted by the Ring of Death.

Stay near the edge of the safe spot during Elder's "Ring of Death" attack
When Elder does his "Ring of Death" expanding nova attack, you are forced into a small circle or safe spot where you won't get 1 shot when the nova goes off. Try to move around the interior edge of this small circle. This is because if Shaper decides to beam you, and you were standing in the center of the safe zone, the beam will cover virtually the entire circle. This could force you to move out of the safe zone and get one-shotted or die to the beam degen. If you move around the perimeter of the circle, Shaper's beam will usually cover only a small part of the safe spot, leaving you with room to maneuver.

Phases:
Phase 1: Elder/Shaper @ 100% - 75% life
- As the dialogue is rolling, circle around the two bosses in one direction so that when the fight begins, Elder's first attack will be guaranteed to miss you. Shaper nearly always starts by teleporting to one of the four corners of the zone so track him down and begin barraging. When Shaper is down to 75% life, move to Elder, but keep your eyes mainly focused on Shaper. Constantly repositioning every 1-2 seconds if he's throwing balls or straight up facetank barraging if he's using his beam.

Phase 2: Elder Portal Phase 1
- This part is easy and you should almost never die here. Locate Shaper and move around him in a small circle while KBing everything on the screen. If Shaper teleports away from you, locate him ASAP and repeat this circling movement. This technique will make it nearly impossible to die to a surprise shaper ball. Your KB's range means you can fire towards the Elder portals regardless of where you are in the arena. Towards the end of the Elder portal phase, start checking on Elder in the center to get an idea of when the phase actually ends so you can utilize the trick mentioned earlier.

Phase 3: Elder/Shaper @ 75% - 50% life
- This part is pretty much identical to phase 1. Try to immediately kill any octopus that appear, because they poop out degen ground which will make the fight harder later on.

Phase 4: Shaper Portal Phase
- You should also never die here. Shaper does nothing but spawns a bunch of adds which gives you constant flask sustain. The adds aren't enough for you to spam flasks, so make sure to time your flask usage very carefully here. Luckily not much is going on so you can afford to stare at the flask bar. Run around Elder in a tiny circle, occasionally attacking the trash mobs for flask charges, and ideally time your movement so that you re-position right after Elder locks on to you. Even if you get hit by his projectiles it's not a big deal just heal up. When a good amount of time has passed, start checking on Shaper again in the middle. He will suddenly come out of this phase and ~80% of the time will beam you, or otherwise start chucking balls right away.

Phase 5: Elder/Shaper @ 50-25% life
- At the beginning of this phase Elder almost always slows you down. So focus on moving at first rather than trying to deal damage. Otherwise this phase is very similar to 1 + 3. Make sure you get rid of any degen-ground shitting octopus things as quickly as you can.

Phase 6: Elder Portal Phase 2
- This is virtually identical to the first Elder portal phase. Do the same thing here.

Phase 7: Elder/Shaper @ 25-0% life
- This and phase 5 are the hardest parts of the fight; Elder has two additional attacks that you must recognize and avoid. Also, depending on how well you managed the octopus adds/vortex balls, there may be a bit of cold/phys degen lying around. The strategy is basically the same as phase 1, 3, and 5 except you need to pay attention to two additional Elder attacks (these also occur in phase 5, but less frequently).
1) Rising Slam Attack: Elder flies upwards and drops a bunch of little projectiles that look like black stars. Those projectiles do a lot of cold damage, so if you see Elder begin this animation, make a run for it. This attack ends with a slam similar to Shaper's that will one shot you. So once you move to a different location to avoid the projectiles, wait 1-2 seconds and change locations again to avoid the slam. If you watched my Uber Elder video, you'll notice my only death was due to laziness and deciding to tank this attack at the very end.
2) Tentacle Whip: If you see Elder floating slightly higher above the ground than usual and point his hands downward, that's a sign that giant black tentacles are about to spawn out of the ground. Stop whatever you're doing and take evasive action, preferably along the perimeter of the arena until the tentacles disappear. This attack does a ton of physical damage and if you get caught up in one there's a good chance you'll get stun locked and die. The tentacles are an AOE attack that spawn where you stand, so if you keep moving and don't backtrack, you'll be able to dodge all of them.

Watch both of my Uber Elder fight videos to see these tips being applied (sometimes very sloppily)

If you pay attention to everything mentioned above, you will never fail an Uber Elder set.

Overall the fight is very fun and somewhat challenging. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment after completing this fight since you would have done it on a build whose single target skill is more melee than any melee skill without the advantage of being super tanky, meaning you had to actually play the fight as GGG intended, and not cheese your way through it. With enough practice you'll be able to consistently do it with very few deaths/deathless and also improve your bossing skill. Mastering the fight with this build will greatly prepare you for any future builds you take to Uber Elder.

Last edited by Enahkra on Jun 21, 2019, 5:09:01 AM
Min-Maxing Phys Wander in Standard League

*note: dps has since doubled...

Introduction

If anyone wishes to mirror the BIS phys wander jewel, I am offering free mirror service on any of the following:

For the richer folk who want to perfect their phys wander on standard, there are some major differences to note. Access to legacy and mirrored items changes some of the fundamental ideas underlying the build. Rather than worry about a balance between tankiness and damage, we trust in the cliche strategy: “the best defense is a good offense”. The biggest difference maker is instant leech, which enables us to facetank any boss with ease. The focus then shifts toward stacking insane amounts of damage to instant phase or “1 shot” any boss in the game. The short duration of boss fights means being resist capped without flasks is no longer a concern, so we can substitute resist gear for even more damage and rely solely on our flasks for resists + tankiness. Enough life to survive one shots, instant leech, and high damage leads to trivializing all content. Lastly, the bragging rights of having the highest dps build also plays some part in the build design. It's pretty satisfying one shotting T16 guardians in a 6 man party.

Essential items required for the build are: Double Legacy Vinktar (conversion preferred) + full set of legacy flasks, a permanent frenzy/power charge generation source like Farrul’s Fur or synthesised chest, 2x mirrored wands.

With an overwhelming number of mirrored gear options out there, and every other crafter slapping on the vague #1 tag to their items, it's really easy for people to be misled into buying expensive, non-optimal gear. Knowledge about BIS rare items is not readily accessible, and oftentimes people make purchases without knowing the full range of good options available. This guide will try to point you in the right direction. I'm no crafter, so there's no conflict of interest in the items I recommend. My only interest is in min-maxing and preventing people from getting ripped off.

This build is designed for efficient bossing, fast party/solo mapping and e-peen stroking. It is not intended for hardcore delving.

Build Objectives
Spoiler
Here’s what I consider important for an "optimized" phys wander and what this build delivers.

- has enough life to survive all damage dealing sources besides certain easy-to-dodge one shot mechanics (ex: shaper slam, phoenix guardian explosion). I’ve found 5.2-5.4k life + some layers of defense to be more than adequate for cheesing all content.

- great mobility/clearspeed; not as fast as a QOTF Windripper build, but enough to finish a T16 guardian map in under two minutes without headhunter.

- able to clear any trash mob using 3 link KB (4th link is IIQ gem)

- both resistance and ele weakness capped while flasks are active

- instant leech

- immunity to shock, freeze, bleed, poison

- able to clear all content including uber elder with ease

- able to run any combination of map mods (alch and go) except for ele reflect + no leech

- excludes sources of dps inflation that are actually detrimental to your real dps (ex: manual cursing, blood rage, frost bomb, etc.)

- as high single-target dps as possible for deleting all content

Background and Miscellaneous Topics
Spoiler

Phys wanding vs ele wanding
Spoiler
Phys to ele conversion archetype has been the meta since forever, and the popularity of these builds, especially bow builds creates huge incentives for crafters to continue making improvements to gear. Top tier ele attack builds are nowhere as popular, so there hasn’t been that same profit incentive. Thus, despite ele wanders being able to beat phys wanders by a slim margin with hypothetical gear in POB scenarios, actual phys wander gear is far closer to reaching theoretical perfection, which is why ele wanders have less damage in realistic min-maxed situations. As of 3.7, GG abyss jewels have gone legacy, which affects mainly ele wanders since phys wanders can reach nearly the same level of damage using non-abyss jewels.

Scaling cold vs lightning
Spoiler
Tree pathing allows for equal access to both Fangs of Frost (8% cold pen) and Arcing Blows (8% light pen), so we should focus on scaling either cold or lightning for optimal dps.

Cold is by far the best option since we have so much phys as extra cold from gear + Hatred aura + taste of hate. Winter Spirit cluster + Hatred conversion Watcher’s Eye mod lets you convert 80% phys to cold, and vinktar converts the last 20% to lightning.

If we try to scale lightning instead, we would only be able to convert 60% phys to lightning (Wrath Watchers eye mod + Vinktar), and the last 40% would have to be converted to cold via Winter Spirit cluster or remain unconverted. Phys to lightning support gem is out of the question since there are so many better support gems for damage.

Gear
Spoiler
Wands:
Spoiler
There are currently three mirror-worthy phys wands, but only two of them I would recommend buying. For this build, you must use two to take advantage of the significant dual wield bonus and the dual wield crit cluster. Since your mainhand and offhand alternate attacks for kinetic blast/barrage, both wands must be high pdps. Using a budget shield such as lycosidae or a mediocre offhand wand can reduce your dps by 35% or more.

#1: Blood Thirst - Victheslik
- currently the best phys wand in the game and will probably remain so for a long time. This wand comes with a hefty price tag, and should probably be the last mirrored piece to fully upgrade. If you haven’t fully upgraded all your other gear slots yet, I would suggest a pair of Foe Bites instead.

#2: Foe Bite - Rayamn (crafted by JakeAlmighty)
- the difference in dps between this wand and Blood Thirst is about 9-10%, but since it's an old item, you can find a lot of them on the secondhand market for relatively cheap. Note that there's three different versions: an old 428 pdps with legacy implicit, a 428 pdps current implicit, and 432 pdps newly divined version. Go with the 428 pdps one, since it's usually much cheaper than the newer version. The spell implicit doesn’t matter

#3: Rift Weaver - Clicky
- this ridiculous wand was IDed off the ground during Incursion League. The wand itself has nearly identical pdps compared to Foe Bite, but overall the wand is slightly worse (~2%). Although the 10% phys as extra chaos looks impressive, we have no chaos scaling and not much phys scaling, which means the contribution of this mod is negligible. In all other departments Foe Bite wins: crit chance, crit multi, attack speed, accuracy, and of course, overall dps. Plus, this item hasn’t been around for that long, so there's not too many on the secondhand market, and with Foe Bites costing much less than a mirror, there's really no reason to mirror this.

Body Armor:
Spoiler

Mirrored Options:
Spoiler

*both the 8% max life/mana hybrid mod and additional curse mod are available for either chest upon request. My personal preference is the 8% max life/mana

Apocalypse Pelt - UIFreezer
- this chest is the powerhouse of the build. Implicits ensure permanent charge sustain, and the explicits give you a ton of survivability + damage + QOL. The difference between this chest and Farrul's is substantial.

- you can choose between two mastercraft options of 8% increased life/mana or additional curse. In my opinion, life/mana is better because it is useful in all situations, unlike curses, which can be mitigated by map mods, and can be hard to squeeze into an optimized setup.

Torment Coat - Mai Cedere
- this chest is nearly identical to Apocalypse Pelt aside from some some minor differences. It has slightly less life, but because it's on a hybrid base, you get 110 flat es.

- attribute requirement is lower so you can recycle it for non dex-based builds

Farrul's Fur
- this is the "budget" option. You get permanent power AND frenzy charge generation in all bossing situations. Power and frenzy charges account for around 40% of your dps which is why this chest is the best unique option. On top of this you get free mana reservation for aspect of the cat (great dps boost), which is mandatory for this chest.

*If you're interested in a corrupted version, the order from best to worse damage corruptions are: %increased damage > +1 to socketed gems/+2 to socketed projectile gems. For defensive options, my personal preferences are: 50% reduced crit damage taken > 1% max res > %increased life.

Amulet:
Spoiler

Mirrored Options:
Spoiler

*for most of the amulets, you can choose between 6% attack + cast speed or 27% crit chance as the mastercraft. In most cases 27% crit will give more dps but it really depends on your setup. Make sure to double check on POB or pm me in-game for help before making your purchase.

For Farrul's Fur Users:
Spoiler

Tempest Locket (old version) // Pain Noose - Croppie
- provides the highest dps for Farrul's users

- has 20% "phys as extra lightning" instead of T1 life. 20% phys as extra light is worth ~4 passive points while T1 life is worth ~2 passive points, so damage roll is more efficient than life roll on this slot.

Death Gorget - Hitma47
- has T1 life roll instead of 20% "phys as extra lightning"

- Agate base means you get an extra point by dropping a strength node (for non-Headhunter users)

- overall gives ~7% less damage than Tempest Locket/Pain Noose but you get ~4% more life and some flexibility with the extra point you free up.

For Mirrored Chest Users:
Spoiler

Golem Noose - Mai_Cedere
- provides the most dps possible in the amulet slot when paired with headhunter or a rare belt with T1 strength.

Corpse Locket - Mai_Cedere
- similar to Golem Noose, but without the 29% crit chance mod. You can get 27% crit chance as a mastercraft though, which means the real net loss compared to Golem Noose is 6% attack speed + 2% crit chance.

- the dps difference between Golem Noose and Corpse Locket can be made up with 2 passive points. However, 14% all res from Corpse Locket is impossible to get with only 2 passive points.

- if you crave more resists, this amulet is arguably better than Golem Noose.

- if you are a firm believer in having resists on both rings, getting Corpse Locket will enable you to swap one resist/damage ring for a pure dps ring, which could result in more overall dps than Golem Noose.

Tempest Locket (new version) - RicTran
- strength roll enables you to free up 2 passive points on tree.

- 2 extra passives can net you an extra frenzy charge, which results in higher dps than Golem Noose if you use a mirrored/rare belt WITHOUT strength roll.

- gives less dps than Golem Noose for headhunter/rare belt with strength users because the strength roll becomes redundant.

Non-mirrored Rare Amulet
Spoiler
Follow the amulet section in the budget guide to figure out how to buy or craft a decent amulet. Shaper bases are better than elder bases. Avoid single resists so you don’t screw up wise oak balancing. Given how scammy the prices for jewelry are in standard, you may be better off trying to craft one using fossils/essences and multimodding if necessary.

Rings:
Spoiler

Mirrored Options:
Spoiler

there are quite a few options out there, so I've organized them into three tiers

Tier 1 (best):
Spoiler

Behemoth Grasp - Mai_Cedere
- objectively the best ring for this build; gives far more dps than any other mirror-worthy ring and also provides 16% all resists

Blood Hold - Plushiess
- if you're near min-maxed and want to include some MF into the build, this ring provides the most dps. The all-res implicit is good QOL and preserves Wise Oak balance

Tier 2 (solid):
Spoiler

Grim Nail - pNR
- similar to Behemoth Grasp but gives less dps. The 16% all resists is a huge QOL buff for the build.

- essentially a budget "Behemoth Grasp"

Hypnotic Whorl - Mai_Cedere
- gives almost as much dps as Behemoth Grasp ≈ 6% more dps than Grim Nail

- lacks resists

- might gives less dps in certain maps with curse effectiveness reduction/hexproof

Bramble Eye - Rayamn
- in some ways this ring is like a slightly worse "Grim Nail" since it gives less dps, and 6% less all res. However, the ring’s attack speed roll does give a slight advantage in clearspeed and for certain bossing scenarios (ex: chimera).

- you could go with 1x Grim Nail + 1x Bramble Eye for slightly more mobility/clearspeed.

*note that there’s two versions of Bramble Eye. One with 10% all res, and the other with 16% crit chance. Don’t buy the crit one.

Tier 3 (average):
Spoiler

Corruption Knot - Ahfack
- 50 strength roll let's you drop 2 strength nodes and spec into more damage; doing this will give ~2-3% more dps than Grim Nail

- lacks resists

- if you use Headhunter, the strength roll is essentially wasted and Corruption Knot will give less dps than Grim Nail

Loath Grip (new version) - Ivygreen5 (crafted by Mortalo)
- for Headhunter users, this ring can give more damage than Grim Nail and will give more dps than Corruption Knot.

- lacks resists

- if you do consider this, get one with the mastercraft: 20% damage. Flat phys is the second best mod following by cold. Everything else is inefficient.

Non-mirrored Ring:
Spoiler
For the most part, follow the ring section in the budget wander section. There are two exceptions: try to craft on an elder opal/steel/prismatic base and don’t worry about life/mana gain on hit. Focus mainly on damage. If you want resists, craft %all resists to maintain wise oak.

Don't spend 100+ ex on non mirrored jewelry if you eventually plan on upgrading to mirrored ones. Higher end non-mirrored jewelry is often not worth the price tag, and if you're spending that much ex trying to squeeze out marginal improvements in dps, may as well just save up some more and get the best, which you can then recycle for future builds. Mirrored jewelry is a good long term investment for those who want to make other min-maxed builds in the future and saves you from the inevitable frustration of shopping for subpar, overpriced jewelry.

Make sure you get aspect of the cat on one of your jewelry pieces.

Mods to avoid: single resists, especially fire, unless you can balance it on your other jewelry pieces (for wise oak users).

Helm:
Spoiler
Getting a helmet with legacy barrage enchant should be one of the first upgrades to your build. Each projectile will give ~10% more damage and slightly reduces the time between each projectile, which helps maintain full life while using vinktar.

Mirrored Option:
Spoiler

Blood Visor - TheTempests (crafted by Mai_Cedere)
The tri res on here provides a lot of QOL. Unless you use 2x rings with T1 all resists (32% all res), it’s pretty much impossible to be ele weakness capped in a min-maxed setup even with all flasks up. The +132 flat life is also equal to 2-3 passive points, which can be specced into damage nodes to close the dps gap between this helm and Rat’s Nest. It’s by far the best defensive option and my personal favorite. If you plan on mirroring this, request the new 8% physical damage taken as fire prefix rather than the 12% WED for added tankiness.

Rare Non-Mirrored Tri Res + Life Helm
I highly recommend a rare tri res + high life helm if you plan on taking this build to the min-maxing limits. Damage will not be lacking, but survivability can be if you focus entirely on former. This slot is the best place to get your resists and some extra life. Ideally you want to be resist-capped relying only on Wise Oak. If you need both Wise Oak + your other 3 resist flasks to be resist-capped, it will be much rippier unless you are a very skilled player because there will inevitably be times when not every flask is up. If you rely only on Wise Oak for res capping it will be much safer because Wise Oak has the longest uptime.

But what if you don't want to pay 300 ex+ for a mirrored tri res helm?

Aside from the cost of mirroring the helm, there is also the drawback of not having socket color flexibility. Luckily crafting a similar rare helm yourself will most likely be much cheaper than mirroring although a bit more time-consuming. Read below for detailed breakdown on how to create one.

Crafting Your Own Helm:
Spoiler
1) Find a +2 barrage enchant base. Crafting a helm with tri T2 resists (45%) is much cheaper/easier than tri T1 (48%). I will provide a cost comparison for tri-res T1 vs. T2 below. You must decide whether to go for T2 or T1 before crafting. If you want Triple T1 you need to buy an ilvl 84+ base whereas for Triple T2 you want one between ilvl 72-83. I suggest an evasion or low-tier armor base because the chance of rolling life is higher than on an ES base.

2) Spam the helm with Shrieking (T2 resists) or Deafening (T1 resists) essences of Hatred/Wrath/Anger until you get triple resists of the same tier. It doesn't matter which of the three you use so go with whatever is cheapest/available. The chance of hitting triple T2 resists will take around 2.5k essences and shrieking are 3x cheaper than deafenings. Depending on the market, and especially if you can hoard some essences from temp leagues, it will on average cost ~50 ex for this step.

3) Mastercraft either %armor or %evasion depending on your base type and yolo exalt. You ideally want a 80+ life roll. If you get a low tier flat life, craft suffix cannot be changed (2 ex) and scour. If you hit another mod such as hybrid life or item rarity, yolo exalt again.

4) If your helm now has 80+ total flat life, then you are almost finished. If not, remove your mastercrafted mod and apply suffix cannot be changed (2 ex), and scour. Repeat step 3.

5) Remove the mastercrafted garbage mod and craft 8% physical damage taken as fire; this will provide a good chunk of survivability. If you want some more KB buff, you can apply the +1 level of proj gem, extra pierce mastercraft or if you want more life you can craft hybrid life.

6) Divine your helm until all three resists are identical so you can maintain wise oak balance. Your helm is finished!

Average cost of crafting triple T2 resists, 80+ life helm = cost of base + 80 ex
Average cost of crafting triple T1 resists, 80+ life helm = cost of base + 180 ex

Rat’s Nest
This is definitely the best dps option for the helmet slot, and if you prefer damage over safety, then this is undoubtedly BIS and also a more budget option.

Starkonja’s Head
A more balanced option than Rat’s nest and costs roughly the same. In a fully optimized tree, you won’t be able to reach same dps as Rat’s Nest even if you give up equivalent life nodes, but the 100 flat life is really nice.

Boots:
Spoiler

Enchants:
From a pure dps standpoint the 10% pen enchant is by far the best. However, if you want faster clearspeed, go with “16% attack speed if you’ve killed recently”. “Flat cold if you’ve been hit recently” helps you for the longer duration, multi-phase boss fights like uber elder.

Bubonic Trails (2 abyssal sockets)

The BIS damage option, and also provides more life than rare boots if socketed with 2x T1 flat life searching eye jewels. No other pair of boots comes close to providing this much dps. The drawback is less gem sockets, which can be a problem if your wands don’t have the right colors, or if you want more gem setups.

Crafted rare boots

Not recommended, unless you can balance your resists for wise oak. May as well use bubonics or fossil craft %life/flat life + 1 abyssal socket etc. for more damage/tankiness.

Gloves:
Spoiler

Legacy Tombfist (2 abyssal sockets)

- pretty much the best pair of gloves. It’s cheaper than good rare gloves and gives an unrivaled amount of dps + life. Make sure to socket a murderous eye (see jewel section) to get the 10% more damage from intimidate.

Glove Corruptions:
Spoiler
Several of the glove implicits are really powerful. I would suggest buying at least a pair with single corruption.

- For single corrupted, get +1 frenzy or base crit. If you’re using Wise Oak, an average rolled base crit implicit will give more dps than +1 frenzy, but frenzy charge also gives attack speed which is a clearspeed/mobility boost. If you decide to go the diamond flask route, +1 frenzy will be better than base crit.

For double corruptions, get +1 frenzy and one of the following:

8-10% attack speed: for more clearspeed and solid chunk of dps. My personal preference.

0.5%-0.8% base crit: the roll really matters for this one. A base crit lower than -0.6% will be worse than attack speed. But a base crit close to 0.8% will be BIS for damage (if you're using Wise Oak)

Ele weakness on hit: the best dps boost on paper, but not my favorite, since map mods such as less curse effectiveness + hexproof render it sometimes useless.

Enfeeble/Temporal Chains on hit/%increased life: if you prefer a more defensive setup

Atziri’s Acuity (Legacy)

- the only reason I recommend these gloves is for the instant leech on crit. If you’re not good with flask management, these gloves could save you. But with pathfinder, your flasks are always up anyway unless you fall asleep while playing.

Rare Elder Gloves (map clearing)

- elder glove mods improve KB clearspeed for a smoother mapping experience.
Look for gloves with at least life + socketed gems supported by faster attacks + faster projectiles. Supported by additional accuracy is also nice too. Other than those 3 mods, socketed gem is supported by Chance to Bleed/ +50% crit multi/flat phys are also decent, especially since KB damage was nerfed significantly in 3.4

- if you’re running T15 maps or below, may as well put these on for faster mapping. You should have enough single target dps to melt T15 bosses even in 6 man parties without the DPS boost from Tombfists.

Mirrored Option:
Spoiler

Skull Hold - RicTran
- this is the best pair of rare KB gloves available. You will lose some bossing dps but if your setup is near min-maxed this is a solid QOL buff to consider.

Belt:
Spoiler

Mirrored Options:
Spoiler

*a mirrored belt will provide more dps/life than a headhunter in certain bossing scenarios such as Uber Elder/Shaper/Chimera/Uber Atziri. For Phoenix/Minotaur/Hydra and map bosses, headhunter is much better for dps/clear.

*There is currently a wander belt halfway through the crafting process that will eventually become the #1 bossing belt. As of now, it's very difficult to switch between a mirrored rare belt and Headhunter because no mirror-tier belt has a high strength roll. When it's finished, you'll be able to choose between 8% flask effect or 20% increased damage if you don't want to swap out Conqueror's Potency*

#1 Blight Bond Stygian Vise - yozorae
Currently the best dps mirrored belt for wanders. If you're swapping from Headhunter, you'll need to take 2 strength nodes on tree. Choose either 8% flask effect for max damage or 20% increased damage if you use Headhunter and don't want to replace Conqueror's Potency.

#2 Nemesis Tether Stygian Vise - pNR
Similar to Blight Bond, but gives slightly less dps in most setups. Also has a much higher mirror fee. You do get 2% extra flask effect though so slightly more tankiness/movespeed. Don't bother mirroring this. Only buy one from the secondary market if you can find one for really cheap.

Headhunter
Best belt for clearspeed/farming. The strength roll lets us drop 2 str nodes on the tree and spec into more damage. Make sure to use a Conqueror’s Potency jewel to make up for the lack of % flask effect, that way you still get +3 from Dying Sun.

Stygian Vise/Elder Belt
If you want to craft/buy a bossing belt it’s definitely possible but it must either be an elder belt base (leather/rustic sash/stygian) or a regular stygian if you go the fossil crafting route. Follow the belt section on the budget guide for more details.
Make sure it has at the bare minimum a good life roll (70+) and it MUST have 4+% flask effectiveness. This mod alone provides a ~10% dps. You can now mastercraft this as a Jun prefix so keep a prefix slot open!
Don’t forget to balance resists! Elder belts have %all resists which comes in handy.

Flasks:
Spoiler

Conversion Vessel of Vinktar (double legacy)

This is the single most important build-enabling item in the build. Despite the new leech nerfs that cap our leech to only 10% of our max life per projectile (compared to instant full life before), barrage's rapid firing rate will let you heal back to full life approximately 4 times per second (compared to 40 times per second before 3.6). This is still plenty to facetank any boss in the game. This flask also allows you to take advantage of the more multiplier from Damage on Full Life support gem and accounts for 99% of your survivability. The 10% more damage from shock (not factored into POB) is substantial, the 20% phys to light conversion allows you to run phys reflect. The instant mana leech is also OP and trivializes problems with mana sustain. Pathfinder negates the only drawback to this flask. If you don’t have a double legacy vinktar, you should play the budget version instead.

* A flat attacks vinktar needs to be max roll to give the same dps as a conversion vinktar, and those can be several times more expensive. A pen vinktar gives less damage than both, and a spell vinktar gives no damage aside from shock, but if that’s the only one you have, you should still use it because the instant leech is essential. These 3 versions will not let you safely run phys reflect however, since 20% of your damage is not converted to ele.

Dying Sun (legacy or current)

This flask gives you +3 projectiles and is the best dps flask for wanders. The AOE helps with KB clear.

Taste of Hate (double legacy)

This flask gives a ton of damage since we scale cold most effectively, but it’s phys damage taken as cold mod is arguably more important, because it scales up to 45% with Pathfinder and makes you a lot tankier for bosses that deal phys damage, which is the majority of them. Without this flask, having 5.3k life as a wander would be very painful.

Alchemist’s Quicksilver of Adrenaline

You need to use this for clearspeed since wanders have no real movement skill and can only run. I would suggest an Alchemist prefix for the extra ms boost.

Wise Oak (legacy) or Diamond Flask of the Order (80% crit chance)

Since sources of crit are so easy to get (ex: base crit on gloves, base crit from watcher’s, dual wield crit nodes, etc.), diamond flask is no longer the optimal choice for dps.

For maximum damage you want to pair Wise Oak with a Hatred Crit + Conversion Eye. Diamond Flask of the Order with a Hatred Pen + Conversion Eye is not a bad “budget” option. However, the main advantage of Wise Oak is that you get the added benefits of capping resists easier and 15% reduced ele damage taken is a significant defensive boost.

The drawback of not using a staunching flask is of course, lack of bleed immunity, so make sure to vaal or buy a decent abyss/rare jewel with “Corrupted Blood cannot be inflicted on you”. KB’s offscreen clear will pretty much ensure you never die to a normal bleed. You can also take Soul of Ralakesh as an extra layer of safety.

Even if you can’t afford a Hatred crit + convert eye, I’d still sacrifice some dps and use a Wise Oak mainly for its defensive advantages.

Bottled Faith or Atziri’s Promise

Swap out Quicksilver of Adrenaline for either of these two flasks for the maximum dps possible during hardcore e-peen stroking sessions. Bottled Faith will most likely give more dps than Atziri's Promise.

Jewels
Spoiler

Watcher’s Eye
Spoiler

- The Hatred 40% phys to cold conversion mod is essential to this build. This mod is the one that any viable Watcher's Eye must have.

- There are three options for 2 mod Watcher's

#1 Hatred Crit + Conversion
- this is the best 2 mod combination for damage, the base crit from the eye lets you swap out diamond flask for Wise Oak without losing any damage. Since it’s BIS, expect to pay a lot.

#2 Hatred Pen + Conversion
- this 2 mod combination is way cheaper, and is only 20-30% worse than the #1 eye. If you use this one, Wise Oak will provide less dps than a diamond flask.

#3 Hatred Increased Cold + Conversion
- this is the most budget 2 mod eye I would recommend. Much cheaper than the #2 eye and only 15-20% worse.

Murderous Eye Jewel (Intimidate)
Spoiler

You need one well-rolled Murderous Eye to take full advantage of Tombfist’s Intimidate on hit mod. All prefixes besides life are pretty much useless for a wander, so this is essentially a 3 mod abyss jewel at best.
Prefixes: T1/2 flat life, Mana (optional)
Suffixes: Attack speed if crit + crit multi are the best. Attack speed, flat phys/cold are also decent, check below for the list of suffix mods to look for.

Rare Jewels:
Spoiler

*abyss jewels have been nerfed in 3.7. Unless you have legacy abyss jewels, non-abyss jewels will most likely be better for dps and life. Try to keep the number of searching eyes at a minimum.

Searching Eye Jewels:
Spoiler

Mirrored Options:
Spoiler

The best legacy abyss jewel will always give more dps than the best non-abyss jewel. This dps difference depends on how well-geared you are. At the extreme upper limits of min-maxing the average difference is ~700k per jewel socket, but it's more likely to be around ~300k for the typical min-maxer. These values were determined by calculating the total dps difference between 6 BIS abyss jewels and 6 BIS non-abyss jewels and then dividing by 6 to figure out the average dps difference per jewel. However, note that this is only the AVERAGE DPS DIFFERENCE PER JEWEL. The law of diminishing returns dictates that the fewer BIS abyss jewels you have in your setup, the more damage you get per jewel. For example, the first BIS abyss jewel you add into your setup might provide ~500k more dps, while the 6th provides only ~100k. One caveat to consider is that in most cases, a T1 flat life roll will give slightly less life than a %life roll.

With perfect abyss jewels going legacy, it becomes more tempting than ever to mirror them. However, this should only be considered once you've min-maxed all other gear slots, as abyss jewel upgrades provide the lowest dps gained to currency spent ratio.

Morbid Globe/Foul Globe/Hollow Goad - Enahkra
- this is the best 4 mod life jewel available. If this jewel doesn't give you the highest dps possible of any life jewel, your build is extremely unoptimized.

-mirror service is free to promote phys wanding :)

Ancient Needle - JeNebu (crafted by thanhnahn)
- this jewel provides unrivaled dps. There will never be something able to beat this in terms of pure damage, especially as Onslaught becomes easier to get (ex: future onslaught on hit ring)

- doesn't have a life roll, so you should have at most 1-2 in your setup unless you're okay with being rippy.

I’ve categorized all the useful abyss jewel mods and ranked each category from best to worst to make things easier:

Category 1 (best)
T1 flat physical damage to WAND ATTACKS
T1/T2 flat life

*Every searching eye should have at least these 2 mods

Category 2 (excellent)
Attack Speed if you’ve crit recently
Crit Multi
T1 Flat physical damage to attacks

*A good searching eye should have one of these 3 mods. Attack Speed if crit is the best one, followed by crit multi/T1 flat phys

Category 3 (good)
T1 flat accuracy
T1 flat lightning to attacks
T1 flat cold to attacks
Attack speed (non-conditional)

*Depending on how much accuracy you have on other gear, a T1 flat accuracy here may actually be more dps than any mod in category 2 or otherwise completely useless. I recommend checking POB to see which scenario applies to you.

Category 4 (decent)

2% ele pen if you haven’t killed recently
%Phys as extra fire
T1 flat fire to attacks
%chance to gain Onslaught on kill
%chance to blind on hit

*These mods are only slightly worse than those in category 3. The 2% pen mod gives the most dps in this category, but is least recommended since it won’t work in some boss fights. The chance to gain onslaught mod is good for general clearing and some bosses with lots of adds. Having just one of them is enough for perma onslaught sustain during map clear. Blind on hit is a solid defensive boost for bossing.

Normal Jewels (Viridian/Crimson)
Spoiler

Category 1 (best)
%maximum life
%crit multi while dual wielding

*Make sure every rare jewel you buy has at least these 2 mods

Category 2 (excellent)

%global crit multi
%projectile damage
%increased attack speed

Category 3 (decent)

%increased damage
%attack and cast speed
%global critical strike chance*

*Global crit chance roll is only good if you aren’t using a diamond flask. And don’t have this mod on more than ~2 jewels because crit chance has huge diminishing returns.

Corrupted Blood Immunity Jewel:
Spoiler

You must have Corrupted Blood Immunity on one of your rare jewels. I would just buy one with at least 2-3 good mods, but you can also try your luck with crafting. Buy/craft decent 3 mod rare jewels, and then yolo vaal. It’s about a 2.5% chance to hit CB immunity, so expect to brick ON AVERAGE 40 jewels for this implicit.

Conqueror’s Potency:
Spoiler

If you’re using Headhunter or don’t have % flask effectiveness on your belt, this jewel must be socketed. %increased crit/damage implicits are pretty nice on this.

Suggested order of upgrade
Spoiler
Before you can play this build, you need at least a legacy vinktars, a Farrul’s Fur, and a very good pair of phys wands (350+ pdps with crit). I would suggest just waiting until you can afford 2x Foe Bite wands before starting the build if you’re on a tight budget. And you will need 100-200 ex for the rest of the gear. You can buy decent 3 mod searching eyes with wand phys, life, and a good mod (see list in jewel section), and yolo ex the last suffix or use decent normal jewels with less optimal mods like %phys damage. Also get a solid corrupting blood immunity jewel.

1) Wands: The most important items to min-max first are of course the wands. If you can afford to min-max all slots, or have that as a realistic goal, I would suggest getting a pair of Blood Thirsts first. Otherwise a pair of Foe Bites can serve you almost as well and frees up a lot of currency to min-max other gear slots.

2) Legacy barrage enchant helm: get Rat’s Nest/Starkonja’s. Should be around 60-80 ex. You can also attempt to craft a high-res helm on your own using a +2 barrage base.

3) Legacy flasks: Get double legacy Taste of Hate, Legacy Dying Sun, Legacy Wise Oak if you haven’t already.

4) Amulet: Tempest Locket will likely be your cheapest/best option, especially if you don't plan on switching from Farrul's to mirrored chest.

5) Watcher’s Eye: Get one with Hatred crit + conversion, or at least a Hatred cold pen + conversion.
Spend 10-25 ex per jewel slot and get 4 mod (with life) BIS normal jewels or very good searching eyes. They should be around this price range. You will eventually need 11 of these, and this will give another ~20% more damage to your build compared to the 3 mod budget jewels from before. An easy way to get good jewels for cheap is to play temp leagues and buy them for much cheaper and then wait until merge.

6) Upgrade to Blood Visor helm: if you want more survivability/resists, and maintain Wise Oak balance.

7) Rings: Get two mirrored rings. I suggest having all resists on each ring since damage shouldn't be an issue at this point.

8) Upgrade to mirrored belt: You can skip this step if you're satisfied with your damage using Headhunter. Mirrored belts are a luxury and really only help for bossing and showcasing dps.

9) Blood Thirsts: upgrade from Foe Bites to these if you haven’t already.

Gems:
Spoiler

Barrage Single Target (chest):

Barrage - WED - Damage on Full Life - Vicious Proj - Ele Focus - Slower Proj

Kinetic Blast Clear (helm)

Kinetic Blast - IIQ - Pierce - GMP

I prefer using IIQ for the extra loot. A 3 link KB has enough damage to clear all trash mobs in the game. You can sub in WED for IIQ if you want more damage, but there shouldn’t be any problem one shotting packs with only 2 support gems.

Auras/Heralds:

Hatred + Herald of Ice + Herald of Purity + Enlighten 4

Another option is to replace HoI with HoA for more dps, but I prefer HoI for the extra shatter/AOE. Herald of Purity is by far the best herald for damage.

If you’re using Tombfists + Bubonics, you’ll need to socket heralds into your wand and use two Enlighten 4s, so try to get RGB wand. This will give you the flexibility to switch between Herald of Ice/Ash. Otherwise, a GBG (Hatred + HoI) or RBR (HoP + HoA) wand works too but will give you less flexibility

If you’re concerned with accidentally weapon-swapping and unreserving your aura/heralds, you can socket the exact same gems into your secondary weapons, which will let you keep your heralds reserved if this happens.

Vaal Haste

I use this mainly on the boss for an extra spike in damage/mobility. Usually lasts the entire duration of the fight.

Utility:

Ice Golem

Best golem for damage, although you could also use Lightning Golem for the extra attack speed

Depending on your setup, you will have anywhere between 2-6 free gem slots. Below are some suggestions but feel free to customize.

Portal gem

Flame Dash

CWDT - Steelskin - Increased Duration

CWDT - Curse - Enhance

Temporal Chains/Enfeeble for more defense, Projectile Weakness for more dps

*Don't use Blood Rage, because it messes with Damage on Full Life support.

Passive Tree - Bandits - Pantheon

Spoiler

Link to Passive + Ascendancy Tree

- Farrul users need at least 1 frenzy + power charge duration node for permanent charge uptime. Otherwise, for 2 seconds every 12 seconds, you won't have any charges.

- if you’re using diamond flask instead of wise oak, make sure to drop Twin Terrors cluster and spec into Forces of Nature.

Alternative pathing options:

- if you want more survivability for leveling, you can sacrifice some dps clusters and take Revenge of the Hunted. If that’s still not enough, take the Melding cluster also, which should give you more than enough tankiness to reach lvl 100. This will require sacrificing ~30% of your total dps.

- Heart of Oak is nice QOL node, especially the life regen.

- if you’re struggling with resists, you could also take Nullification for life/resists, or Survivalist cluster.

Bandits:
Alira is the best since resists are so hard to get, and the crit multi/mana regen is perfect for the build. If you have enough resists, switch to +2 passive points and take a 2nd Frenzy charge (Fervour) or 2 life nodes.

Pantheon:
Soul of the Brine King: getting stun locked can be an issue, especially since we don’t use life flasks, so this one really helps.

Soul of Solaris: best for bossing if stun isn't an issue for you.

Soul of Shakari: I prefer this since we don’t invest in chaos resists. It’ll make opening strongboxes less risky too.

Soul of Ralakesh: if you want more normal bleed protection.

POB
Spoiler

True Min-Maxed POB: https://pastebin.com/QAPsmnT2

Farrul's ""Budget"" Min-Maxed POB: https://pastebin.com/CFhp2cBv

Videos:

Last edited by Enahkra on Jun 13, 2019, 3:04:34 PM
Reserved
sick bro !!!!. nice build <3
IGN: _YunaAura_BestAura_
Yuna aurabot build : 2519298
Cute ingame ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ *:・゚✧ :
https://imgur.com/a/mx400V2
Nice!! Finally an updated phys wander build I can follow :) Been so tired of playing ele wanders
Thanks for the great writeup! Looking forward to trying out a phys wander again :)
Hello, i want to know why wouldn't this build be viable in HC? I haven't played wand builds for the 3 last years but i wanted to play one in this league.
"
mdrlolkikoo wrote:
Hello, i want to know why wouldn't this build be viable in HC? I haven't played wand builds for the 3 last years but i wanted to play one in this league.

Hi thanks for bringing this up. I guess it just depends on what one considers viable. Any build is hardcore viable if you spec into enough defenses.I only meant to say that the tree + gear I recommended in the guide would not be optimal for high level hardcore content. A phys wander will still be much tankier than an ele wander though because we can utilize taste of hate.

I just meant to say that wanders in general because they are located on the right + top of the tree and aren't naturally high dps and the fact that single target requires facetanking bosses just wouldn't be the best choice of a hardcore build, but you can definitely get it to work if you aren't running any crazy content in hardcore.

Thanks a lot :) ok i understand, of course i will adapt the tree for HC. I just have zero knowledge about wand builds in this game.
Will maybe try it out when i die but not sure, and let's hope i don't die. :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info