Iron Grip

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
thats not the reason nobody uses it. most people that wanted iron grip, had skill points to spare and gotten the skill tree keystone version (which does EXACT same thing as gem but without the speed and level ups).

More likely "most people who use the skill are people who desperately needed Vaal Pact and grabbed IG as they passed along the tree".
I can totally see paying one skillpoint for a mediocre boost as opposed to dedicating a Linked Slot.
I agree, this gem isnt worth 1 gem slot. Any character high strengh character will just take similar Keystone Passive, or will use another gem, which provides more DPS boost.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
If anything this gem should have % increased attack speed. I can't really see why someone would want to use it over the passive node. And don't tell me someone from across the skill tree might find it useful, because then you are most likely to have a very low strength, and the damage boost from Iron Grip wouldn't be better than any other support gem.
There is something wrong with Iron Grip, here's what I am testing:

Power syphon + level 1 Physical Projectile Attack Damage (+30% physical)

VS.

Power syphon + 20/20 Iron Grip (strenght 276)

How come I am getting more damage with Physical Projectile Attack Damage? With Iron Grip I should get 276/5= 55% physical + 15% Projectile Damage from quality.

I also noticed this low increase in dmg with gems such as Faster Projectiles, Point Blank..

Can someone explain how is this calculated?

Thanks.

PPAD's bonus is multiplicative (More), bonus of strength is additive (Increased).
If you already have some increases to physical damage, PPAD will yield a better bonus.

Example: 100 base physical damage, 150% total increases to damage from tree.
Total damage: 100 * (1 + 1.5) = 250 physical damage.

1. Iron Grip, 70% increased damage in total.
Total damage: 100 * (1 + 1.5 + 0.7) 320 physical damage

2. PPAD level 1, 30% more physical damage.
Total damage: 100 * (1 + 1.5) * 1.3 = 325 physical damage
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
Good explanation, thanks!

I though it has to do with additive vs. multiplicative but did not know that Iron Grip (strenght bonus) is additive damage bonus.

So, that means that whenever you have multiplicative bonus your total damage is increased by that percentage, in your example if there was another 1.3 multiplicative bonus it would look like this:

100 * (1 + 1.5) * 1.3 * 1.3 = 422 physical damage
Please kindly change the description for iron grip from " X% increased projectile damage" to " X% increased projectile attack damage" its really confusing for newbe. I had to search multiple area to find out that the " X% increased projectile damage" only applies to projectile attack damage not on all projectile. With the description " X% increased projectile damage" it can be pretty misleading even though the strength damage bonus had been specified as projectile attacks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info