[3.6] OneShotBoom - IceNova on Frostbolt Quad Curse Occultist - Insane AoE & good QOL - all content

You have to take into account that you have two curses linked into herald of ice, those two aren't gonna be up when it matters ( bosses with no adds). Also your pob dps is against normal monsters.
In what order would you say to put points in the tree?
Im assuming:

First go left for the frozen trial gem and surrounding nodes,

then MOM and the points by the elementalist starting node,

but after that do i go straight to the shadow area or do i get Whispers Doom first?

Thanks
Dropping some feedback after playing it on early maps.

As skoupidi mentioned, the Curse on Hit of Herald of Ice only works when you shatter an enemy (kill frozen enemy), so your hits don't apply the curses. It works well for map clearing, but it is very difficult to apply on bosses.

I'd swap Greater Multiple Projectiles for Temporal Chains/early Warlord's Mark. I don't see the advantage of having 4 more projectiles since Ice Nova can only trigger on two Frostbolts. With Frozen Trail, you already have enough bolts to cover the screen with Ice Novas.

Adding to that, while multiple slow effects have reduced impact (Chill + Temp Chains), it should work well against bosses now that curse effects have been improved on them.
Warlord's Mark should be a better choice for early league when the rings are expensive (the simplest ones are 1.5ex right now).

After you get the ring with Warlord's Mark, you could swap Enfeeble for something else since Temporal Chains should work well for defense (Vaal RF maybe).

Thanks for your work on this build!
I'm looking to make a pretty basic multimod staff for this build (not trying too hard); I was shooting for Power Charge on Crit but ended up with:

+2 cold gems
spell dmg/power charge on crit

after making it rare and annul'ing

So, I have 2x prefix and 1x suffix to work with, and keep bouncing back and forth between which ones are best (plus I'm confused about which ones were removed/changed in 3.6).

My current thought is to do P1) raw spell damage, P2) spell damage w/ non-chaos (does this still exist? is this It That Fled's mod that was split, or only the pure non-chaos damage one?) and 3) double damage while focused (I like the extra button, and POB shows it as big DPS, obviously while focused).

So...I'm mostly confused about P2, if it exists or not, how to get it, and if not what the second best option would be.

Thanks for any help, first time multi-modding!
So, I m playing no brainer CI mathil version for now and I was thinking, isin't LL highest possible dmg for this build?

Also, whats the main difference in dmg on life vs ci?
Ice Nova, even six sockets and level 23 is not even 100 mana. So you can't count on occultist to generate power charges.

Mana Cost at gem level 20 is now 23 (was 31).
Last edited by roddyriot on Mar 17, 2019, 1:03:38 AM
"
roddyriot wrote:
Ice Nova, even six sockets and level 23 is not even 100 mana. So you can't count on occultist to generate power charges.

Mana Cost at gem level 20 is now 23 (was 31).

I'm doing it right now. Total cost 102. Ice nova + Spell Echo + Faster Casting + Concentrated Effect + Arcane Surge + Intensify.

The Forbidden Power node isn't on a per-skill-use basis. So in my case it only takes two casts of ice nova to generate a charge.
Last edited by jmomo on Mar 19, 2019, 2:04:24 AM
I'm doing a build fairly similar to this one in Synthesis. It was my starter build and I play about 8 hours every day.

While there's some fun things about the build, it's been a real struggle and I'm still thinking about quitting. Most of the issues are fundamental and can't be fixed.

My first big complaint is the dual-cast setup time of first casting the frostbolt and then doing the ice nova. Frostbolt is horribly slow to cast. It feels like giving birth each time. I've had a number of deaths just because I couldn't cast the frostbolt fast enough. It's even worse than traps setup time. All sources of faster casting are a big defensive buff for this build.

The second problem with frostbolt is that it's not doorway viable. Doorways are the worst, but trees, statues, and lots of other objects will block the projectile in the same way that Freezing Pulse gets screwed by the way the game engine works right now. I've had quite a few times when I'm standing next to a wall or other object and all five frostbolts never go anywhere because they immediately hit the object, even when I'm facing at a slight angle away from the wall/object. This has killed me quite a few times now.

Leveling felt okay up until I could get spell echo. Spell echo made everything die really fast until I got up to level 60 or the end of the main storyline, then things had really slowed down again. This is a build that can't be done well on a 4L or with lower end gear. It's just not a good starter build. You need lots of Ex, 6Ls, and warlord's mark rings to make this feel good.

I'm currently messing around with a 6L Taryn's Shiver. It's really hard to get green sockets on staffs, so I am going to try and add some white sockets onto it here as soon as I can get Vorici into Research.

Some kind of mana leech, such as with warlord's mark, is absolutely vital to this build.
Hey! This will be my 2nd build this league (started with secure molten strike jugg).

I'm at level 59 atm, the build feels fine. I'm not even running warlord's mark and my mana is usually fine.

I'm planning on how to approach gearing, the eclipse staff seems super hard to make.

Not only the mods but I mean getting 1 green socket with 5 blues + 6L.

Not sure how to approach that wall.

And even the carcass 6L goes min 4.5ex, and not sure how to play frostbolt as a 5 link (like am I leaving faster casting out? I feel its already kinda slow with it)
Last edited by Illidan96 on Mar 19, 2019, 4:09:19 PM
"
Illidan96 wrote:
I'm planning on how to approach gearing, the eclipse staff seems super hard to make.

Not only the mods but I mean getting 1 green socket with 5 blues + 6L.

Not sure how to approach that wall.

And even the carcass 6L goes min 4.5ex, and not sure how to play frostbolt as a 5 link (like am I leaving faster casting out? I feel its already kinda slow with it)

I got well into yellow Maps with just a 4L carcass and a 4L staff (Not Eclipse). For the staff i just looked for power charge on crit and spell damage, spent maybe 10-20c.

The only more expensive thing i got was a ring with warlords on hit for around 50c, other than that i think my gear is still pretty bad, but i'm having no trouble running t10 maps so far.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info