Why is it free ?

Just wondering, why is it free ?

I would pay for it and I don't see why the developers wouldn't get money for it.
I guess they'll get money in the end by micro transaction, ads and whatever other means.

But why not simply charging $40 for it ?
It's a better marketing strategy for unknown developers tbh. And you have the potential of making a lot more money if you do it right. Just look at what Maplestory did. They made an addictive mmo and got people to pay out their asses for useless items.
I wouldn't play this game if it costed 40 dollars. Not in this day and age, when there is a million and one games to play, especially with the impending influx of diablolikes being released.

If the game is fun and I enjoy it immensely, I might drop 10-20 bucks (and i'm sure others will spend much more) depending on how much I actually play it. But 40? No way would I even consider purchasing it at that price point. You would lose my business from the get go.
Last edited by Trippy on Aug 13, 2011, 2:19:57 PM
Free to play is the trend these days for games. You can potentially make a lot of money from your core players if you're able to create a Cash Shop that'll effectively monetize them.

Heroes of Newerth is a perfect example of failed one-time-payment system with free-to-play aspects. Recently, they revamped their whole business model into just Cash Shop ideals.
F2p model has been proven to be a very effective business model, that's why.
"
Trippy wrote:

If the game is fun and I enjoy it immensely, I might drop 10-20 bucks (and i'm sure others will spend much more) depending on how much I actually play it. But 40? No way would I even consider purchasing it at that price point. You would lose my business from the get go.

Seriously ? you earn $40 by working for like 2hours...

That's the contrary for me, I'm totally OK with buying a game full price while I don't really like the idea of paying for ingame stuff even for $1

I hope it won't turn out to be a shitfest like tf2
"
Just wondering, why is it free ?

I would pay for it and I don't see why the developers wouldn't get money for it.
I guess they'll get money in the end by micro transaction, ads and whatever other means.

But why not simply charging $40 for it ?

Because there are two completely different markets, f2p is ( I would guess) a more accessible market for a small developer. Many more people are willing to try out and in the end get addicted to a free game.
Actually is easier to make a sucesfull F2P game than a P2P or B2P game if you are a small company.
"

Seriously ? you earn $40 by working for like 2hours...

Uh, I make more than that.

"
That's the contrary for me, I'm totally OK with buying a game full price while I don't really like the idea of paying for ingame stuff even for $1

Because that totally makes sense. You're like a fiscal mastermind.

"
I hope it won't turn out to be a shitfest like tf2

Huh?
Look at LoL, people say it's great because it's free, but like most people I know have already dropped more than 30 dollars down on it for costumes and stuff. Even HoN went free to play in hopes of keeping it self alive.
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info