[3.9] Cospri's CoC Discharge Ascendant (RETIRED)

I'm retiring this build as of 3.9. With the current boss hp, this build has nowhere enough damage to do them comfortably. If we could reach the crit cap comfortably, that would help, but discharge doesn't allow for that (if you'd like to reach more about it, check page 6). I've done my share of testing and can't find a way to get more single target. I'm personally not very motivated to work on the character. I'm going to eventually make something with discharge but that might not be CoC or a Scion. Idk yet.

Please feel free to use the template and ask questions. If you need help, I'll try and answer.

3.9 changes:

-> Inspiration instead of conc/inc aoe.
-> Kingsguard instead of Voll's protector.
-> Any awakened gems are upgrades.
-> Awakened CoC is huge. It is the only source of cooldown recovery in the build. You could get more on your belt and boots to reach the next cap which is around 54% for more dps but it would make it a pain to get good res and life. You would also have to drop kingsguard for Voll's protector to compensate for the power charge generation loss from dropping Inya's for the cdr boots.
-> Anoint Fatal Blade.

Note: Please post all your questions in this thread or come by the stream, don't pm me in game. Make sure your profile is PUBLIC before asking for help so your character is visible. If you have issues with the trees and you're loading them into the poe website, don't. Import them into Path of Building. Please check out the FAQ section before asking questions.

I don't claim my guides to be original or super efficient. I write guides to share characters I'm fond of.

Gameplay on youtube, or if I stream.

=======================================================================

Pros:
Pretty good map clearer.
Decent single target.

Cons:
Bit expensive to get going.
Clear isn't as great as before cause of the shield charge change.
Don't expect to farm endgame bosses with it.

Introduction
Spoiler

There are MANY ways to play cast on crit at the moment, with different spells (frostbolt, ice nova, arc) and weapon and ascendancy choices.

High base crit daggers with crafted 'Hits can't be evaded' and spell damage mods make it so that you don't even need Lycosidae or Assassin, and you can go for any ascendancy (But you lose the additional proc from Cospri's).

I wanted to play the old cast on crit discharge with Cospri's and not crafted daggers, and I didn't really find any guides for ascendant that I liked so here we are. I tested dual cospri's vs a 'hit's can't be evaded' weapon and they have similar damage.

This build focuses on Cospri's Malice and Cast on Crit Discharge:

It has flat cold damage to attacks (which procs EE) and triggers a socketed cold spell on melee crit. Discharge is a cold gem.

We use two discharge gems in the weapons and one in our chest linked with Cast on Crit support-Cyclone, to trigger three discharges simultaneously on every crit with cyclone. The rest of the support gems are used to buff discharge damage and buff cyclone crit chance.

Note: Keep in mind that can you play this as an assassin too. Assassin has more damage and more top end crit. Scion has more life and more consistent crit.

PoB

Final Tree

Bandits
Spoiler

Alira

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Inquisitor > Path of the Templar > Berserker

Pantheon
Spoiler

Lunaris and Shakari.

Current Gear
Spoiler

Jewels:

Gear slot analysis:
Spoiler

Weapon:
Spoiler

Core Item. Look for the highest attack speed.

Budget option: None. Core item.

Off hand:
Spoiler

Look for the highest life roll.

Budget option: None if you're using Brutal Restraint. Otherwise a rare shield should get you going. You will need to make up for the accuracy though. Get lyco ASAP.

Helmet:
Spoiler

Dex, life, evasion.

BIS - 30% chance for discharge to deal damage without removing charges.

Budget option: Regular Starkonja's, or any rare helm.

Chest:
Spoiler

You could use Voll's Protector instead for more consistent charge generation I guess. But from my testing, dropping Voll's didn't result in much actual dps loss. Kingsguard let's you get in some extra healing and has some life on it. The 3% more spell damage per power charge from Voll's isn't that consistent anyway.

Budget option: Any rare chest.

Gloves:
Spoiler

You don't need the 16% more insanity suffix, just feels better. Any base is fine, fingerless silk gloves would be ideal.

Boots:
Spoiler

Help us stay topped on power charges. Has life, movement speed. BiS.

BIS - 16% increased Attack and Cast if you've killed recently.

Budget option: Anything with life, res, movement speed.

Amulet:
Spoiler

Absolutely BiS. Maintains endurance charges.

Budget option: Anything with life, res, multi, crit, dex.

Belt:
Spoiler

Look for the delve % elemental damage suffix, after you cap your resists and get life.

Rings:
Spoiler

Damage

Look for an elder base to fossil craft. The % lightning damage leeched as life is essential. This is your only real source of leech, other than Atziri's Promise.

Craft with pristine and metallic fossils.

Budget option: Anything with life, res, dex.

Flasks:
Spoiler

Swap for single target and cursed maps.

Note: Triple balancing wise oak is HUGE. Keep that in mind when buying resist gear. Try to at least get both fire and lightning res as the highest.

Jewels:
Spoiler

Gem Links
Spoiler

You want 21/20 discharge and 21/20 increased crit gems.

Weapon:

Chest:

Gloves:

Other links:

Unlinked:

Videos:
Spoiler

Phoenix

3.7 videos:

Older video archive:

FAQ:
Spoiler

Explain Elemental Equilibrium
Spoiler
Okay, I'll try to explain this the best I can.

Hitting an enemy with an element while having EE gives the enemy +25% res of that element and -50% to other elements.

Meaning, when we shield charge or cyclone over an enemy, we hit it with cold damage, giving it +25% cold res and -50% fire and lightning res. Once we crit, we discharge (mostly fire and lightning dmg), giving us a damage boost against the weakened enemy. We do deal less cold damage from the frenzy discharges but that's minor damage loss since most of our damage is fire and lightning.

Once discharge hits, it gains resistances to fire and lightning (and maybe even cold, if we discharge frenzies), but hitting it again with cyclone/shield charge resets the debuffs weakening it to fire and lightning as before.

Since, discharge HAS to be procced by an melee crit, technically, the enemy for all effective purposes always has -50% fire and lightning res.

Which also makes it very important to NOT have any added fire or lightning damage to attacks from any source.

If you have 2 discharges casting at the same time, does one fizzle out? Can they actually both use the same charges?
Spoiler
I believe they DO trigger together:

You can see that if you have the chest and weapon discharges skills on your skill bar when you cyclone and proc them, they tick together

BUT they don't consume the same charges and gain double damage, they consume in order.

So some things to clarify:

Discharge ALWAYS consumes ALL available charges.

The color of the discharge is based on the maximum type of charge discharged. (Red = End, Blue = Power, Green = White). Idk what happens in case of a tie, I'm guessing they a random one among the tied colors. But they definitely do not mix colors for ties from a single discharge proc, because you'll never see mixed colors when shield charging through packs (one proc, one color). Purple discharges only happen when both proc.

So if both discharges consumed the same charges, they'd have the same color and no mixed colors.

What I believe happens is, one of them consumes all the charges, but the following charges are potentially left behind:

> The ones saved by helmet enchant.
> The endurance charges generated by Voll's.
> The endurance charges generated by Warlord's Mark.
> The power charges generated from discharge critting.
> Frenzies from Blood Rage.

Why I believe they consume separate charges:

The second discharge then consumes the residual charges, making it a different color sometimes, making the net result from two procs have mixed colors, which would not be possible if they consumed the same charges.

Brutal Restraint? Why? How? Unnatural Instinct?
Spoiler
Nasima version of Brutal Restraint gives you access to Second Sight which blinds you and gives you 25% more melee critical strike chance while blinded. Lycosidae makes it so you don't care about being blinded. Free crit.

Unnatural Instinct isn't needed, a rare jewel is fine.

Changelog:
Spoiler

Added guide?
Added EE and playstyle readme.
Minor Pob change.
Added more videos.
Changed pros and cons and introduction section.
Got an Unnatural Instinct.
Added an FAQ section.
Updated for 3.6.
Using Brutal Restraint and new Voll's.
Updated for 3.8.
Retired.
I make build guides for fun.

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/cent664
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/cent664
Last edited by cent664 on May 4, 2020, 4:25:55 AM
Last bumped on Jan 8, 2020, 1:05:55 PM
thanks for the guide :) now gonna try it out,
If you have 2 discharges casting at the same time, does one fizzle out? Can they actually both use the same charges?
"

I believe they DO trigger together:

You can see that if you have the chest and weapon discharges skills on your skill bar when you cyclone and proc them, they tick together

BUT they don't consume the same charges and gain double damage, they consume in order.

So some things to clarify:

Discharge ALWAYS consumes ALL available charges.

The color of the discharge is based on the maximum type of charge discharged. (Red = End, Blue = Power, Green = White). Idk what happens in case of a tie, I'm guessing they a random one among the tied colors. But they definitely do not mix colors for ties from a single discharge proc, because you'll never see mixed colors when shield charging through packs (one proc, one color). Purple discharges only happen when both proc.

So if both discharges consumed the same charges, they'd have the same color and no mixed colors.

What I believe happens is, one of them consumes all the charges, but the following charges are potentially left behind:

> The ones saved by helmet enchant.
> The endurance charges generated by Voll's.
> The endurance charges generated by Warlord's Mark.
> The power charges generated from discharge critting.
> Frenzies from Blood Rage.

Why I believe they consume separate charges:

The second discharge then consumes the residual charges, making it a different color sometimes, making the net result from two procs have mixed colors, which would not be possible if they consumed the same charges.

Last edited by cent664 on Feb 28, 2019, 1:04:41 AM
man i have prop with crit chance look at my gear and tell me any tip
"
man i have prop with crit chance look at my gear and tell me any tip

Get 2 power charges from the tree
Swap controlled destruction with Power charge on crit on main 6L in chest
get 20/20 increased crit, pcoc and cast on crit
Get an 'of the order' flask suffix. 80% crit is a lot.

Possible to use something else than Cyclone to procc Discharge? Like Molten Strike for example? I love CoC/Mjolner Discharge. But havent played it for a loong long time, but i cannot stand Cyclone. Its the only thing keeping me away from it.
"
Possible to use something else than Cyclone to procc Discharge? Like Molten Strike for example? I love CoC/Mjolner Discharge. But havent played it for a loong long time, but i cannot stand Cyclone. Its the only thing keeping me away from it.

Any fast hitting skill should work, BF definitely works. I'll test out MS later and let you know. I'm a bit busy this weekend.

"
Molten Strike

Okay so I tested Molten Strike (sorta). I don't have bottled faith yet, which screws my crit a bit now that I'm no longer assassin.

So, bad news, you need to swap out conc with multistrike to get a good proc rate = dmg loss.
Good news, balls proc discharge = easier to proc.

Overall I don't really think its better than cyclone. Cyclone has a better proc rate without losing conc effect. MS needs multistrike and more investment into attack speed to get near enough proc rate as cyclone. I think Blady Flurry is a better choice if you want a 'stand at one place and proc' skill. I haven't done the math behind number of procs on Ms balls though so take this with a grain of salt. If you do any testing please let me know.

Im lvling this build now, just got into using the setup at lvl 70.

How do you sustain mana? If i dont use a mana flask atm im continously out of mana

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info