[3.7] Deadeye Siege Ballista - Siege Ballista/Frenzy

Introduction

3.7 - Changes will be made when the league starts, since PoB isn't updated completely.

3.6 - Updated the final levelling tree. For the most part this build is the same with the exception of the difficulty of getting a attribute amulet now. IMO Having 800 dex is fine, so it may be worth just to pick up any kinda of amulet that fixes resistances.

Total build cost: 2.5 exalted and up(depending on rolls)

Hi, welcome to my Siege Ballista build for Deadeye.

This build was started due to me wanting to play a "meme" build.
My friends I'd play with would always joke about Siege Ballista being a meme build and not a good skill.

So why play Ranger when Marauder/Templar are better at totem builds?
Well simply I like playing Ranger. It's much more in line with this being a fun/meme/unusual build. I've had quite a few people comment in game when trading.

Turns out this build isn't actually that bad and can do most content in the game handily.

Content I've cleared:
Uber Elder - Difficult but doable. I've done a 1 death run. It's a pure mechanical fight so if you're good at dodging abilities using blink arrows then this should be easy. Check gameplay advice below for tips.

T16 Elder Guardians - Only difficult one is the lightning tendrils boss!

All other tier elders - Easy, just need to watch a video on how the fight plays out!

Shaper - Easy.

T16s Bosses - Simple enough. Just keep moving.
For minotaur don't stand in the falling rocks circle. Just dodge his dig move with blink arrow.
For Chimera - Be careful of the Snake stage. The final snake has pierce which can one shot(possibly needs to crit?).

Atziri - Easy. Focus the top left atziri when she makes clones.

Uber Lab - Izaro is straight forward. Just have good flasks for traps within the lab. Is a decent build for lab carry. I don't think you can die to Izaro unless you stand still.

Uber Atziri - Completed, easier than Uber Elder but requires some good reaction times. For the 2nd boss fight make sure to kill the mage lady first!

Overview

This build is heavily reliant on one item: Iron Commander

With it we can get more Siege Ballistas down based on our dexterity.
For this build we want to aim for 800+ dexterity(thus 5 total ballistas) with 1000 being our max. Trying to aim for 1200 requires expensive corruptions or sacrificing survivability.

Pros and Cons
Pros:
- Different. If you're used to other bow skills this is going to be a change.
- Decent clear speed. 5-6 totems firing 3 projectiles each. Can place 3 totems a second. Deadeye gives us some good speed with Blink Arrow cooldown and tailwind.
- Ballistas can take aggro and block projectiles that don't pierce.
- Can do all maps mods except regen, as ballistas take reflect. Regen is difficult due running out of flasks in map bosses.
- A lot of the time you can focus on dodging projectiles while your ballistas do damage.
- Immunity to freeze and shock. Immunity to chilled, shocked and burning ground.
- Mostly unique items thus can be obtained quite handily(although some are expensive)

Cons:
- Ballista placement can be crucial. They often will die instantly to higher tier bosses(we do grab some totem resistances via jewels)
- Mana issues unless 6 linked frenzy with mana leech or taking a node on the tree that gives mana leech. Requires a mana flask until then.
- No leech. Leech applies to totems health/mana.
- Relatively low life, ~5000. Evasion/Dodge chance is used, thus physical damage hits quite hard. You eventually get unlucky and get hit by too many attacks at once.

There are probably most pros and cons but that applies for most builds.

Leveling

Just in case anyone wants it my current build:
https://pastebin.com/3THEXjda

If you can't get Point Blank corruption take it as a skill node!

Don't be afraid to deviate from the above. These are simply what I would do.

For leveling, I would use an easier skill such as Rain of Arrows until you can equip Iron Commander with Rain of Splinters jewel or Greater Multiple Projectiles.

Focus on items that give you dexterity and resistances/life. You shouldn't have too much issues since your totems will be taking the majority of the abuse.

Gear

One rare item and the rest are uniques.

All Gear Pieces

Gear Breakdown
Weapon

Don't even think about replacing this. Having 6 ballistas is so much fun.

Quiver

Should be self explanatory in this build. With attribute stacking this quiver is probably the highest dps for this build. Look for a good attribute roll if you need to fix your attributes. Also corrupt this quiver to roll Point Blank implicit as it will save you a skill point!

Helm

Can't really take another Helm. It provides everything this build would want. Dexterity, life, crit chance, evasion. Remember that the Dexterity will give you more life due to your gloves and boots.

Body Armor

Since this build is primarily cold damage Hyrri's Ire isn't a bad choice. We get an increase in dexterity and thus life(on my build currently 78 life), dodge chance and a crazy amount of cold damage. On top of this one of the highest evasion rating body armor in the game.

Gloves

There really isn't much of a choice here. This is almost like a Kaom's heart.

Boots

Just like the gloves there's a lot of life to be gained here from pure dexterity stacking. Dexterity, life, 30% movespeed and immunity to ground effects - fantastic!

Belt

15% attributes! And immunity to freeze and one other ailment. And 120 possible life(lets also not forget the life gained from the increased dexterity).

Amulet

Okay this is the hard one. Because of the syndicate league we now have access to talismans again. For your amulet(talisman) you're looking for: %attributes for the implicit. Dexterity and Life for the explicit. Anything else is just a bonus. You'll probably need to trade for this one!

Ring 1

This is the resistances fixer. It should be easy to get max rolls on this ring with divine/blessed orbs. This ring is expensive(for newer players). Around 150c for one.

Ring 2

Once again resistance fixer. Focus on attributes and resistances rolls. Can be expensive to buy, but shouldn't be as much as The Taming.

Jewels

Mandatory Jewels
You need 2 Fluid Motion unique jewels. These need to be placed in the two jewel sockets near the Scion starting point. Check the full path of building tree for locations. These locations will give the greatest conversions.

Other Jewel Sockets

You're looking for the following:
Mandatory - Increased Maximum Life

Totem Resistances - You need at least 20%(10% is the max for one jewel) to raise the totem resistances to 60% this will help with bosses like Shaper and Uber Elder where your totems will get one shot.

Increased Cold Damage.

+ to attributes - To get another totem if needed.

Totem Damage.

Projectile Damage.

Gems

Remember the prophecy for 5 linking items exists! It's usually around 10-15c.

Siege Ballista

5 Link Setup
Siege Ballista - Added Cold Damage - Cold Penetration - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Elemental Focus

6 Link Setup
Siege Ballista - Added Cold Damage - Cold Penetration - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Elemental Focus - Increased Critical Damage

Frenzy

5 Link Setup
Frenzy - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Power Charge on Critical - Curse on Hit - Projectile Weakness

6 Link Setup
Frenzy - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Power Charge on Critical - Curse on Hit - Projectile Weakness - Mana Leech

Herald of Ice/Vaal Haste/Vaal Clarity

4 Link Setup
Herald of Ice - Vaal Haste - Vaal Clarity - Enlighten

Immortal Call/Enfeeble

4 Link Setup
Immortal Call - Cast when Damage Taken - Increased Duration - Enfeeble

Blink Arrow/Lightning Golem/Portal

4 Link Setup
Summon Lightning Golem - Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks Support - Portal

Ascendancy and Enchantments

Deadeye

Fast and Deadly -> Gathering Winds -> Powerful Precision -> Rupture

Enchantments
For helm enchantment either Siege Ballista Attack Speed or Siege Ballista Damage. The placement speed is not worth it. I think the attack speed is preferable as I believe it increases the wind up speed for siege ballista when it is spawned.

As for gloves or boots, anything really. I'd prefer to corrupt mine.

Bandits and Pantheon

Bandits
Alira, way too efficient for this build. If you manage to get cap resistances and get crit multiplier elsewhere you could grab the two skill points.

Pantheon

Major God: Lunaris - Fully Upgraded - So much avoid/dodge.
Minor God: Anything, whatever you prefer. I like using Ryslatha as getting life flasks during boss fights is very useful.

Flasks

Flasks

Damage Flasks:

Diamond Flask if you don't need a Mana Flask due to having mana leech.

Regen Flasks:
Life Regen Flask with either instant recovery or increased recovery rate.
Mana Flask if you don't have mana leech. Any kind of mods you like.

Movement Flasks:
Quicksilver flask with increased movement speed during effect.

Gameplay Advice

Standard mapping is straight forward. Drop totems and let the mayhem ensue.

Shaper is just a matter of spacing totems around him and knowing his skill set. I like to do circles around him.

Red Elder, same as shaper.

Uber Elder - Counter Clockwise or Clockwise around the arena. Essentially try not to get hit. Don't proc any orbs. And kill any squids. Three totems plus a quick projectile weakness should be enough to one shot the squids. Best I've done is a one death uber elder. The fight is more mechanical than a pure stat check.

Delve is a little slower than other builds. You want to sit behind the cart dropping totems. For node fights just find a spot where nothing spawns and build a wall of totems. Move around if needed.
Last edited by raz789 on Jun 7, 2019, 11:26:13 AM
Last bumped on Feb 5, 2020, 1:41:44 PM
Update - Managed to defeat all 4 Shaper guardians, and the Shaper himself with this build(deadeye version).
Gonna try uber elder.
https://pastebin.com/TqtL8S4K
Uber Elder down, it took quite a few tries but it's doable. Completely mechanical fight. It'll get easier as I level up and grab some more health nodes.

Updated build above, has much more consistent damage and health.
I am glad you posted this. I have long been interested in a siege ballista build, but none of them looked that good before this.

A few questions:
1. Did you have fun?
2. What did you level with? Frenzy for clear and the ballista for bosses?
3. What is your order for the ascendancy and your tree during leveling?
4. How often do you have all your totems down? Do you think it may be better to drop to 800 dex in exchange for something like flat damage gems or pure talent with a connection to scion?
5. If you didn't use Hyrri's Ire, which chest would you use? Wildwrap or Queen of the Forrest or some rare chest?
6. Did certain bosses ever get easier for you?

Hey dude sorry for the late reply!

I did have fun, I think the idea of a meme build or not played a lot build is fun. I've had a few people comment on it. In general it is fun, I love playing ranger and dodging things.

For levelling, ballistas as soon as possible. But in general you can use any ability and any bow. The game isn't that difficult until after first kitava IMO if you have subpar gear. By then you'd want Iron Commander.

For the ascendencies: Really down to preference IMO, but I always take fast and deadly first for the blink arrow cd. Way too much survive ability to miss out on. After that probably tailwind.
So really (Fast And Deadly -> Tailwind -> Powerful Precision -> Rupture

Levelling order: Stick on the ranger side of the tree first, then move up to scion area. After that the assassin nodes. You can skip damage for health.

All totems down is very common while mapping. In most boss fights on most maps they are all down. Placement is incredibly important on certain maps like T16 bosses. I actually contemplated dropping the dex down but I don't think you can squeeze out more damage. I can't see gems giving you as much damage as an extra totem. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I do not think pure talent is worth it. You get as almost as much dex from fluid motion. Although the other stats are nice.

Hyrri's Ire is absolutely insane. On this build it's 20000 damage. You also get dodge chance. Wildwrap isn't very good IMO. I actually removed it in favor of cyclopean coil(previously using the nomad). If I was to use a different chest piece probably some combination of life/damage. Unfortunately there isn't really a unique item that even approaches the damage that hyrris give you while also increasing life.

Bosses did get easier. When I was initially doing T14-16s I was at 100k damage per totem. At 150k there is a huge noticeable difference. I rearranged the skill build from the original post to go from duelist nodes to assassin ones. I gained more life and more damage. I will admit, uber was difficult. I think just from a mechanics point. You will probably die unless you're a god with like 5ms ping.

The T16 guardians are actually interesting, the hardest is the hydra and the Minotaur is the easiest. At least from my experience.

I will make note, you will probably die if you get hit. I think this is just the case with a lot of ranger builds though. 5k life is decent. You just about have enough life that you have time to escape The Shapers beam.

Hopefully that clears stuff up. I'm not sure I want to make a giant post with fancy spoiler boxes like other builds. It's a huge commitment. I can answer more questions about my experience if you need.
https://pastebin.com/yKhjvqSD

Also here is my current build.
hello,

love the build it's really fun to play :)

i have 1 question though.

should i kill all the bandits or help them?
"
BonanzaI wrote:
hello,

love the build it's really fun to play :)

i have 1 question though.

should i kill all the bandits or help them?

I think you should help Alira!
I appreciate the post. I'm slowing leveling this between doing stuff on my main character. Seems kinda slow leveling though.
It definitely is if you're used to just speeding through on other faster builds. Best thing is to use a different skill while levelling until you reach enough dexterity for at least 2 totems. You can use GMP on totems if you cant get a rain of splinters.
Last edited by raz789 on Jan 23, 2019, 6:01:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info