[3.5] EB Devouring Diadem/Queen's Hunger Necromancer

Hello, this build is a work in progress as I play through the new league. I just wanted to share my take on a new Necromancer build focusing on two new uniques introduced in Betrayal league: The Devouring Diadem and The Queen's Hunger. I am running Zombies with this build but I think it can built around most minions, in particular Skeletons or Phantasms (via Soulwrest). I am sure other folks are running something similar so I would love to hear your ideas to make this build even better. Like most other minion builds, it will have the damage necessary for all endgame content. I also believe this will be a great Necromancer spec for pushing Delve given it's defensive capabilities.

This new helmet provides amazing sustain and efficiency. With 10 corpses consumed, Feast of Flesh returns 4000 life and 4000 ES every 5 seconds. I am using Unearth to apply Curse on Hit, trigger EE and ensure that there are always 10 corpses available for the Feast. The helmet also allows you to run a ton of auras and provides Eldritch Battery without having to path to it in your tree.

This chest is amazing. It provides all of the stats you want for an EB build, and frees up a gem socket by auto casting offerings for you. To top it off, the veiled mods can add +1 to Zombies and +1 to Skeletons to your build.

Both the helmet and chest provide a solid amount of ES. In my tree I've only taken three ES nodes and I'm able to maintain a nice 70/30 MoM ratio of 42% at about ~8k total EHP. My character is far from optimized and the EHP can be pushed even higher. I've also spec'd into block and life on block, since the chest provides Bone Offering from time to time which makes it easy to achieve the attack block cap with Rumi's. I am working on adding more spell block to the build via Watcher's Eye and more tree investment as I gain more levels.

PATH OF BUILDING & PASSIVE TREE
Spoiler

Current PoB at lvl 93: https://pastebin.com/FZ0PPN4C

With the new items and the support AG, there are several buffs that PoB can't calculate right now (namely the Offerings). I also have more resists than PoB indicates (via veiled mods). However, on a 5L without my gems leveled up I look to be sitting at around ~1 mil Shaper DPS. With a 6L and completed gems, I will be up around 1.5-2 mil.

Note that I avoid the minions attack speed nodes leading to Gravepact. This is simply to keep my Zombie attack rate slightly low enough to ensure once the third Slam is complete, the 1.25s cooldown is up.

That being said, we all know minions can achieve endgame viable DPS without much investment... What's been great about this build so far has been it's defenses. With flasks up, we have over 70% physical mitigation with Surrender proc, we are block capped at 75% when Bone Offering procs, recover life on block, and have 8% life regen. On top of all that is the new Feast of Flesh mechanic which gives us 4K life and 4k ES every 5 seconds.

T15+ Syndicate encounters were a breeze pre-nerf and are now quite trivial after the latest patch.

With decent yellow gear I'm just over 8k EHP - this can be pushed over 9k with some solid currency investment.

GEM SETUPS
Spoiler

Zombies 6L: Raise Zombie, Minion Damage, Multistrike, Maim, Melee Physical Damage, Empower

Notes: After some testing, since we have an inconsistent Flesh Offering due to the chest, I found that this setup provides the most consistent DPS as well as the most consistent attack rate on Slam in order to keep zombies Slamming only (based on a 1.25s cooldown with two Violent Dead jewels).

Support Minions 4L: Raise Spectre, Animate Guardian, Minion Life, Blood Magic

Notes: I'm using Carnage Chieftains as support Spectres, linked with Blood Magic so that they can spam their Frenzy charge spell freely to ensure the entire party is buffed. Animate Guardian is equipped with a standard support loadout: Dying Breath, Leer Cast, Bloodbond, Rainbowstride, etc. This can be tweaked to taste with whatever you want.

Unearth 4L: Unearth, GMP, Curse on Hit, Enfeeble

Notes: Unearth is used with a jewel adding Lightning Damage to Spells in order to proc EE (Fire and Cold), Curse on Hit, and ensure that there are always max corpses for Feast of Flesh. If in trouble (T16 Syndicates anyone?) you can always kite and spew corpses knowing that the Feast will return you to full life and ES at any moment.

Auras (Helmet): Hated-Generosity (2L), Haste, Discipline

Notes: Great benefit of the Helmet is we can fit in all of these Auras plus Dread Banner for full 100% mana reservation beneath our ES mana pool.

CWDT 3L: CWDT (1), Immortal Call (3), Tempest Shield (7)

Notes: Initially ran Desecrate here but I feel like with Unearth there will always be maximum corpses around. Switched to Tempest Shield as it helps my efforts speccing into Block as well as serves as a secondary source of EE proccing.

Movement 3L: Shield Charge, Faster Attacks, Fortify

Unset Ring 1: Convocation

Unset Ring 2: Dread Banner

Notes: Ideally linked to Generosity as well but it just doesn't fit. It also doesn't gain stacks so just leave it reserved without planting it. It grants impale chance to Zombies and makes enemies miss - still great benefits and we have the Mana available to do it thanks to the Diadem.

GEAR
Spoiler

Standard Zombie main hand weapon

An expensive piece, but worth it given we get Bone Offering from time to time and it is very easy to achieve high block chance in this setup. I am working on speccing more into spell block as well to take better advantage of block as a source of sustain.

I went with Dex and Quality veiled mods as Dex is a mainstat that is lacking in the tree and you will need to find your way to 155 Dex.

Went with the +1 Zombies veiled mod and some extra resistances. I bought this for 50c near the beginning of the league but I think this chest is picking up steam as these rolls are getting more expensive.

Straightforward glove choice, although I may remove this for a defensive pair of yellow gloves for deep delving, or may consider pseudo 6L gloves to add more minions to this build, such as Skeletons or swap to offensive Spectres for extra map clear. I love delving so that is why I have spec'd into Zombies for now, as they seem to excel in the tunnels and provide great single target DPS.

Provides a nice Dex roll and some easy ES. With the ES rolls on gear you really don't need anything on the tree to put together a large enough ES pool for EB and MoM.

I don't have the best jewelry - just using these slots for life, ES and resists as needed. A lot of different ways you can add value to the build via ES recharge, flask effectiveness, etc. Note that I'm using an Elder amulet for the +1 Zombie affix. This plus the veiled mod on the chest allows us to reach 6 Zombies.

Standard roster of flasks - mix and match to taste and the content you plan on running.

JEWELS: 2x Violent Dead, Minion Jewel with added Lightning Damage to Spells (for EE), and Minion Jewel with % chance Taunt and % chance Blind. Later on I am hoping to add a Watcher's eye to this build to provide more Spell Block (Discipline mod) and perhaps Phasing (Haste mod) for QOL.

ASCENDANCY, BANDITS & LEVELING
Spoiler

Ascendancy: Invoker, Puppet Master, Commander of Darkness, Flesh Binder (or whatever Minion specific node you need)

Bandits: Kill all

Leveling: I leveled with SRS - there are many guides out there on this process. I transitioned into a basic Life/MoM starter Spectre build and then re-spec'd into this build once I learned about these cool items.

Last edited by anomz on Dec 22, 2018, 5:00:59 PM
Last bumped on Mar 6, 2019, 7:00:12 PM
Reserved.
interested, but...POB please
"
hieu1510 wrote:
interested, but...POB please

My bad - PoB section is now updated.
Looks interesting, didnt know betrayal added such amazing uniques for necro. Is there a way to trigger "30% inc minion damage if you used a minion skill recently" from Puppet Master ascendacy in this build? If I'm not mistaken you'd normally do that with selfcast offerings, but here you get offerings from the chest.
"
Looks interesting, didnt know betrayal added such amazing uniques for necro. Is there a way to trigger "30% inc minion damage if you used a minion skill recently" from Puppet Master ascendacy in this build? If I'm not mistaken you'd normally do that with selfcast offerings, but here you get offerings from the chest.

Yes - Convocation triggers Puppet Master, thankfully.

That being said, Puppet Master is certainly what I would drop if you wanted to run a second set of DPS minions in this build (Spectres, etc.)

This Zombie spec is really for deep Delving and bossing. Map clear is decent with the Montreguls explosions but isn't anywhere as effective at clearing as Solar Guards.

Last edited by anomz on Dec 21, 2018, 2:57:18 PM
Also, if pob is correct then +1 zombie from the chest doesnt actually give you anything since it brings the total to 11, leaving 5 after Montregul's 50% reduction. Another +1 zombie from a prefix on a rare amulet should bring the total to 12 and result in another zombie unless I missed something.
"
Also, if pob is correct then +1 zombie from the chest doesnt actually give you anything since it brings the total to 11, leaving 5 after Montregul's 50% reduction. Another +1 zombie from a prefix on a rare amulet should bring the total to 12 and result in another zombie unless I missed something.

I think you're correct and I will test this next time I log on. I think I was previously misled by PoB (prior to most recent update) -- I don't think it was counting the Zombie from the Betrayal chest making me think that I was at 10 rather than 11...
But Zombies suck : /
"
But Zombies suck : /

I find them to be the best Delve minion but to each is own. This build is really about the defense/utility and you can use any minion you like. Soulwrest and Skeletons also enjoy good synergy with this setup.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info