[3.5] Wretched Orb (Insane duration Winter orb) Shaper, Uber elder, end game

Welcome!

This is a Winter Orb build that uses shackles of the wretched and self inflicted temp chains so that you don't have to constantly keep channeling. Once again, I'd like to thank The_x_ile as this came as a result of some of our testing

Class: Assassin (there are variations which can also be done on the Elementalist, Occultist, and even Inquisitor)

https://youtu.be/2-BDBcxXeKw - hydra map

Required Items:

30% TC enchant

Quick Explanation:

Using self inflicted Temp chains to cause winter orb to last 30+/- seconds while scaling crit damage and using blade vortex for additional damage.

Detailed Explanation:
Spoiler

Part I - Temporal Chains

Temporal Chains slows enemies actions. Another effect of temporal chains, is that it causes buffs and debuffs to expire 40% slower. Both of these effects can be modified by "increased curse effect".

By using a curse on hit gem to apply temporal chains socketed in the Shackles of the Wretched gloves, we can apply temporal chains to ourselves when we hit an enemy with the socketed spell. Temp chains is modified by our increased Curse effect so that things expire up to 75% slower (this is essentially like making something last 4 times as long).

The result is that Winter orb lasts close to 30 seconds, Blade vortex lasts around 40 seconds, and our flasks last 16+ seconds per use.

To get around the movement slow of TC, we use Kaom's Roots to completely negate it.

Part II - Utilities

With extreme duration applied to all skills and effects on the character, we can have additional skill setups to modify the movement speed, defense, and even offensive capabilities.

Blade vortex can be used to apply temporal chains within the gloves, and if using this method, you can link it with arcane surge. This is the CoH BV setup.

Another method is to use Herald of Ice within the gloves, as well as a spell like orb of storms for bosses. This works perfectly in allowing you to run a DPS blade vortex setup in either a weapon or the helm (the helm will net much higher damage, especially if you craft with essence of insanity for that 50% of physical as extra lightning, and this can even be done on an Elder base for the chance of getting Conc effect).

Here are some other helpful bonuses:

Phase Run is almost always up and lasts up to 16 seconds.

Winter Orb doesn't need to constantly be recast.

All flasks have excellent up-time.

Immortal Call with a Cast when damage taken level 1 lasts 3 seconds.

Vaal righteous fire can last up to 40 seconds.

Blade vortex lasts around 40 seconds.

Part III - Winter Orb

Winter orb is a channeling spell that gains duration the longer you channel it. Once you reach 10 stacks, the base duration is 4 seconds. This can be modified by increases and reductions to duration. Temporal Chains will also cause it to expire slower and make your erection last up to 4 times longer!

Winter Orb fires 1 projectile normally, but with gems like Greater Multiple Projectiles or Lesser multiple Projectiles, it can fire more. Another item such as Dying Sun also adds another 2 projectiles.

To scale the damage, we go crit and stack multiplier and spell damage. It is also a good idea to invest into Increased Area of Effect so that more than one projectile can strike the same target (The explosions do overlap).

Part IV - Math/Numbers

87.5% curse effect is required to turn the 40% debuff slow to its maximum of 75%

Players inherently have 40% reduced effect of temp chains on them, which makes it so we actually need 127.5% curse effect on ourselves.

We get:

30% curse effect from the tree
30% curse effect from the helmet enchant
10% from a quality Curse on Hit gem.
4% (optional) from Conqueror's Potency Jewel

and 50% curse effect from the belt (this is only applied to curses on us)

the total not including the jewel is 120%.

120-40 = 80%

1.8 x 40 = 72

TC will causes effects to expire 72% slower.

that works out to be 100/28 = 3.5714

Multiply any duration by 3.5714

My Gear
Spoiler

Flasks

Jewels:

Gear Explanation
Spoiler

- look for spell damage, crit chance, and crit multiplier to start with. Added damage to spells is also very valuable, and so is % chance to deal double damage.

just get 30% temp chains effect. craft life and resists.

pickup stats that you need, like dex, resists, and damage.

massive damage boost for bosses. grab a high fire resist one and run flame golem.

get the resists you need with life.

Look for life and resists. Luxury mods are +1 skills and 1.5% spell crit

allows the build to self inflict temp chains

- prevents the character from having its actions slowed. This negates the negative side of TC.

increases the curse effect of temp chains on us by 50%. It also allows us to use pain attunement.

this is used in tandem with the belt.

Skill Tree // PoB
Spoiler

Latest PoB ((character copied December 27th))
https://pastebin.com/eyrR1LB7

Older PoB
Spoiler

PoB This is just a copy of my character (dont get elemental EQ. its there for the damage equation only)
https://pastebin.com/NJ1DEwaG

Level 92
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAPuBAcEswVCBx4I9A0fDkgQkhEtEZYXsBo4HNwdviBuIvQjNiaVJy8o-ioLLJww-DIyMtEzhzWSOlg62DrhPAU8KD1fPydBh0GWRUdFnUlRSotKyEyzTeNObVAwUlNTEFNSVUtVxlltXfJfmGHiakNsC20ZbqpwUnvDe9d8g35Zf8aCm4LHg9uJ04qvjDaPGo_6kBGQVZMnlPGVLpeVmuCcMpy-oS-iAKXEpleus67_tDi18rc-uJO5k7xvvOq-isBmwwnPMtAf0PXVpti92YbbXuUZ6-7r9ewY73zv6_Af8NXyHfJF-Jf56Pv1_gr-jw==?accountName=DreamScythe&characterName=Snow_Balls

Help Allira

Ascendancy
1) Unstable Fusion
2) Deadly Infusion
3) Ambush and Assassinate
4) Opportunist

Pantheon is up to you to change as needed.

Gem Links and Setups:
Spoiler

Setup #1(this is mainly what I use):

6L Winter Orb - LMP or GMP - *added cold* - controlled destruction - Cold penetration - concentrated effect

4L (Shackles) - blade vortex - curse on Hit - temp chains - arcane surge*

other skills that you can socket as you like:
phase run
CWDT - immortal call
vaal righteous fire
frost bomb
Herald of Ice
Determination

*Added cold damage can be replaced with hypothermia if desired*

Setup #2:

If using the helmet for a DPS blade vortex setup, You will need to replace arcane surge in the gloves with a different spell, such as firestorm or ball lightning. (When you get to a boss, you activate the DPS blade vortex, and then to apply temp chains you use the firestorm or ball lightning).

4L (helmet) Blade vortex - conc effect - controlled destruction - Hypothermia
You can use essence of insanity to get a huge bonus to damage (50% of phys as extra lightning)

4L (shackles) BV - curse on hit - temp chains - firestorm
Note that you would use this BV while mapping.

3L - frost bomb - arcane surge - phase run

3L - cwdt - immortal call - vaal righteous fire

1l (unset ring) - determination

Setup #3 (this was suggested by Vaximette):
This uses Herald of ice in the gloves to apply TC. Orb of storms is also there for bosses.

Gloves: Herald of Ice - curse on hit - temp chains - orb of storms

Helmet: Blade vortex - conc effect - controlled destruction - crit damage or Hypothermia

Essence craft insanity for much higher dmg.

3L - cwdt - immortal call - determination

3L - phase run - arcane surge - righteous fire

Unset ring: Frost Bomb

If you dont care about using the BV DPS setup (Build works great without it) then you can always fossil craft -9 cold resist to enemies on the helm.

Change log:
Spoiler

December 27th
updated PoB with a copy of my current character and setup.

December 24th
changed the setup #3 to use orb of storms instead of frost bomb. Frost bomb is placed in the unset ring or in the wand.

December 19
updated the gem link/setup section

December 18, 2018
-Added a gem link section
-explained how to use BV in the helmet

Videos:
Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
Last edited by DreamScythe on Dec 27, 2018, 8:00:49 PM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2019, 10:50:16 AM
reserved

adding video shortly
What about using the amulet that reduces temp chains reservertion by 100% and using a blasphemy setup that would give alot of quality of life
no idea how people manage to come up with builds like this but looks pretty cool will try for sure

e: is it normal to still have the vulnerability debuff shown even tho i wear watchers eye with determination?

sorry for noob question
Last edited by kuvvet_ on Dec 18, 2018, 10:43:47 AM
"
kuvvet_ wrote:
no idea how people manage to come up with builds like this but looks pretty cool will try for sure

e: is it normal to still have the vulnerability debuff shown even tho i wear watchers eye with determination?

sorry for noob question

yea, you still have vulnerability on you, it just has no negative effect.

"
What about using the amulet that reduces temp chains reservertion by 100% and using a blasphemy setup that would give alot of quality of life

no, shackles of the wretched does not work with blasphemy.
Im always drawn to hippie builds and this seems perfect. Alrdy bought the watchers eye for 20c. Would pristine+cold fossil crafted helmet be bad? Something like this but with -cold res and ES:
hyped
Last edited by Hartsa on Dec 18, 2018, 2:43:51 PM
"
Hartsa wrote:
Im always drawn to hippie builds and this seems perfect. Alrdy bought the watchers eye for 20c. Would pristine+cold fossil crafted helmet be bad? Something like this but with -cold res and ES:
hyped

ya that totally works
nice!
nvm i'm an idiot

JK: Would a Doryani's be good/a decent filler until we get a good wand?
Last edited by Duhroo on Dec 18, 2018, 5:53:18 PM
I wish I saw this build before I rolled my 2nd character as an Occultist. I'll probably still give this a try and see what I can do.

Is Max Mana that important of a roll or is that part of some hybrid? After switching out the chest I'll need to work on some resists.

I've got a really sick chest I want to try with this build. Looking on PoB adding my item is a net positive except for resists and energy shield.

I tried a few other AoE gems in the chest but didn't come up with anything that gave me as much DPS as your combination. Do you think it would be possible or worth even trying? I'm limited on my bandwidth right now so I can't search and find good combinations and what quality will do for different gems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info