General Gem Discussion

Hi, my name is Rafael and as a necromancer fan I would like to know if some changes are possible for minions, specially for zombies/skeletons.
Raging spirits are great but they work much more as a auto-targeting-whatever-spell than as a necromancer-killer-minion.
Please GGG let me know your thoughts around my ideas. I would really appreciate!
I am posting this in all the necromancer-based tabs.

1. MINION AWARENESS/MOVEMENT
Spoiler

I know I can't ask for an intellectual minion as they are literally brain-dead, but they could be more proactive.
Sometimes while stading still, the minions would just vegetate right next to enemies!

So here are things they could be aware of:
a) If the necromancer receives a savage hit, the minions will instantly target the attacker.

b) Minions should only stop attacking unique monsters to follow the necromacer if its off-screan-gone, because sometimes we are just saving our asses and leaving them to do the dirty work.

c) When walking, minions are always steps behind. They should go in the front as pawns in a chess game! Just like when you stand still, the minions could walk around you when you are moving, mostly in the front, where they can work more effectively as protection.

d) Sometimes minions would just stop attacking. I think raging spirits works best in this case, so maybe there's already a solution to this. Just bring it to the others.

e) They should always target nearby unique monsters before rare/magical/normal monsters, and so on. The current AI makes them target whatever the necromancer is attacking but that doesn't work really well because the necromancer itself will just use some crap AoE/multProj skill to curse, focus its minions or to kill the little ones faster. It will aways hit many things at once. Aim for the strongest one and work your way down! The minions' AoE will be enough to kill the little ones anyway.

2. MINION ACCURACY/CRIT/DODGE
Spoiler

Just like block, there should be passives that would give minions accuracy/crit/dodge boosts.
They should all come near witch of course, but they could have opposites perspectives.
You could even go for a killer instinct or for immortal barriers.

EXAMPLES:
a)"Your minions have +30% additional chance to dodge attacks and spells but cannot block"
This would give your minions more survivability without the need to give your shield up with necro aegis, openning up a way for 2-handed necromancers to work as well.

b)"Your minions have +15% additional chance to deal a critical strike. Your minions can only deal physical damage"
This would help zombies/skeletons for 20% instead of 5% crit chance, meanwhile, raging spirits/spectres/golens would keep the same. (stone golens are not fast cleanners anyway)
This could work so you could support them with crit based support gems.

c)"Your minions have +30%/50% accuracy".
Right now zombies/skeletons have a really tough time against high lvl bosses. We could bypass this with necro aegis and a shield with "your hits can't be evaded" but it narrows down the build a lot. And it shouldnt!

3. MINION KEYSTONES
Spoiler

There should be more keystones! Not only for minions, but as a necromancer fan I will only talk about necromancer-related ones haha.
EXAMPLES:
a)"VOID PACT: Your minions and offering skills costs no mana. You can't reserve any mana."

b)"THE BIGGER THE BETTER: Your zombies and skeletons have 100% more size, damage and life. You can only have 5 minions at the same time."

c)"OBEDIENCE: Your minions are aggressive. Nearby enemies are intimidated. You can't deal damage yourself or with totems."

d)"LAYALTY: You emanate a binding aura that grants you and your minions +10%all resists, +10%atk/cast speed and +2%life regeneration. You take 10 physical damage for each hit your minions take. You take 100 physical damage per second while you have no minions. You take 500 physical damage on minion death."

e)"CONTROL FREAK: All your minions will target only one enemy at once. Your minions have +30% more atk/cast/move speed."

4. NEW MINION SKILLS
Spoiler

Every build could benefit from minions if given the chance. Of couse there are support builds and necromancer builds, but why not an archer with a wolf, or a berserker with a bear?

EXAMPLES:
a)"LONE WOLF: cold damage, freeze chance, life leeching and uses a wolf-sound that generates frenzy charges for allies. Focus in speed."

b)"GREAT BEAR: fire damage, ignite chance, life leeching and uses a bear-sound that generates endurance charges for allies. Focus in defense."

c)"WHITE TIGER: lightning damage, shock chance, life leeching and uses a tiger-sound that generates power charges for allies. Focus in critical."

d)"BLACK SNAKE: chaos damage, chance to poison, life leeching and uses a snake-sound that intimidates nearby enemies. Focus in damage."

5. NEW MINION SUPPORT SKILLS
Spoiler

We need more options for minions support skills!

EXAMPLES:
a)"CAST ON MINION HIT: X% chance to trigger socketed spell."

b)"CAST ON MINION DEATH: X% chance to trigger socketed spell."

c)"MINION SIZE: X% increased minion size"

d)"ZOMBIE QUANTITY: +X zombies and -Y% less zombies damage"

e)"ICE MINION: +X% damage converted to cold and +Y% chill effect/physical damage can chill"

f)"FIRE MINION: +X% damage converted to fire and +Y% ignite chance/physical damage can ignite"

g)"LIGHTNING MINION: +X% damage converted to lightning and +Y% shock effect/physical damage can shock"

h)"CHAOS MINION: +X% damage converted to chaos and +Y% poison chance"

i)"ENDLESS GENERATION: +X% more speed casting minions/Skill repeats Y times/-Z% less damage"

j)"MINION COOLDOWN RECOVERY: +X% more cooldown recovery for minion special skills"

6. NEW UNIQUES FOR MINIONS
Spoiler

We need more options for minion-based uniques!

EXAMPLES:
a)"THE CURSED ONE AMULET:
Has 1 socket.
Socketed minion takes 30% of damage before you.
Socketed minion flees while in low life.
Socketed minion gems are supported by level 30 minion life.
Socketed minion gems are supported by level 30 minion resistences.
Socketed minion gems are supported by level 1 blood magic.
You die if socketed minion dies."

b)"FOLLOW MY LEAD BOOTS:
You share your bonuses to moving speed with your minions.
+20%all resistances.
+50life.
+3% move speed for each minion you own."

c)"TOUCH OF DEATH GLOVES:
You can't deal damage yourself.
Enemies hit by your skills take 20% increased damage from your minions.
+1% to all elemental resistances for each minion you own.
+50life."

d)"MIND CONTROLLER HELM:
+10% chance to trigger socketed minion gems on hit.
You can't cast socketed minion gems yourself.
You lose 20 life for each minion you trigger.
+150life."

e)"BOMBER SHIELD:
You take 100% increased damage from hits.
Reflect 10% of damage taken from hits back to the attacker.
You deal 20% of you maximum life as fire damage to nearby enemies on death.
+300life."

f)"GRAVEYARD STAFF:
+3 to socketed minion gems.
Socketed minion gems are supported by level 20 minion life.
Socketed minion gems are supported by level 20 minion damage.
+50-100 life
+10-20% all elemental resistances.
+20-30% chaos resistance.
You can't use a body armour."

7. IMPORTANT CHANGES IN OLD MINION GEMS
Spoiler

EXAMPLES:
a)"CONVOCATION: Should be a white gem just like portal/mine. No mana cost. No bonuses. No level. NO COOLDOWN."

b)"RAISE ZOMBIE/SKELETON: Cast time should be 0.30 seconds!"

c)All minions gems should show DPS properly! There could be a special tab when you click "C" for spectres where you could see all the skills it can use and its cooldown.
Last edited by rafaelgxs on Feb 23, 2018, 4:31:35 PM
"
dantven wrote:
Why is there no thread for storm barrier?

+1.

I'm considering Lightning Tendrils for Bestiary league and I'd really like to read people's feedback and thoughts!
Last edited by Bonburner on Feb 28, 2018, 2:06:45 PM

Where are the NEWER GEM feedback?

dont even have them since patch 3.1.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
Bodyswap needs a smaller target area. Right now you can teleport to a corpse that is half a screen away from where you clicked.
I'm going to give some Spectral Shield Throw feedback here, since a thread for the skill doesn't exist, because GGG doesn't seem to want to create new threads for their new skills for whatever reason.

Currently lvl 54, with a Atziri's Mirror shield, 972 evasion.
This skill is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the idea, I love how it scales off of your shield stats, that's all great. (even if damage wise even with a good shield, it's somewhat underwhelming)
And I wish there are more shield skills that scale off of your defenses in the future. However.

The problem is just how the skill itself functions.
It's straight up not very good. The shield projectile looks large, is in fact quite small, much like an arrow, but one that travels at half the speed. So it misses, a lot, even on stationary targets.
And no it's not accuracy, because I have 100%. It's just the way the projectile works.

Even when you hit, the splash of projectiles tend to also miss quite often, being as scattershot as they are. So you often throw your shield into a pack, only to miss half of them.
And given how slow this skill attacks, and the fact it's difficult to augment in any meaningful way, you just spend an inordinate amount of time just trying to hit your enemies.

It's a sluggish, inaccurate skill.

If the shield projectile was a little larger, like Freezing Pulse, and the shards homed in like Frost Blade, then I think the skill would be pretty alright.
But as it stands, it's just not good enough to be worth using in my opinion.
I'd like to add something about Spectral Shield Throw. I've leveled my Gladiator to 73 in Bestiary and just got tired of it. It's just an inferior verion of Spectral Throw: it cannot get more shield projectiles, it cannot pierce, it doesn't come back. Besides, the AoE is just terrible. Even using Herald of Ash, Haemophilia gloves explosions and 3 chain (Ewar's Mirage and Chain Support) I was only able to clear 2/3 of a pack. Single target damage is also terrible.
My suggestion is to add at least two of below changes:
-add "Chains +(0-5) times", similar to Arc
-enable LMP and GMP to support the number of shield projectiles thrown as well
-increase base attack speed, projectile speed, base damage
-allow unarmed damage to scale Spectral Shield Throw damage
"
YohSL wrote:
I'm going to give some Spectral Shield Throw feedback here, since a thread for the skill doesn't exist, because GGG doesn't seem to want to create new threads for their new skills for whatever reason.

Currently lvl 54, with a Atziri's Mirror shield, 972 evasion.
This skill is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the idea, I love how it scales off of your shield stats, that's all great. (even if damage wise even with a good shield, it's somewhat underwhelming)
And I wish there are more shield skills that scale off of your defenses in the future. However.

The problem is just how the skill itself functions.
It's straight up not very good. The shield projectile looks large, is in fact quite small, much like an arrow, but one that travels at half the speed. So it misses, a lot, even on stationary targets.
And no it's not accuracy, because I have 100%. It's just the way the projectile works.

Even when you hit, the splash of projectiles tend to also miss quite often, being as scattershot as they are. So you often throw your shield into a pack, only to miss half of them.
And given how slow this skill attacks, and the fact it's difficult to augment in any meaningful way, you just spend an inordinate amount of time just trying to hit your enemies.

It's a sluggish, inaccurate skill.

If the shield projectile was a little larger, like Freezing Pulse, and the shards homed in like Frost Blade, then I think the skill would be pretty alright.
But as it stands, it's just not good enough to be worth using in my opinion.

I agree completely, bigger hitbox, make the shards homing, probably give it a few more shards too imo.

it really needs it.
Spectral Shield Throw is a stupid skill
i think the Designer Not playing the game

25% chance to cast Tornado is just a terrible design.
Even at 0.68 sec duration might/flight cycle tornado sometimes does not proc for a whole minute!
If the idea was to drive user insane or create an unreliable bs mechanic — you've succeed.
Last edited by ThisIsABuff on Apr 28, 2018, 5:49:14 PM
traps should behave like projectiles when thrown, that means: when they meet a monster on their path they should be triggered instantly instead of waiting for the trap to land on the ground and then trigger. would make traps feel much more impactful. considering usability: some support gems like multi trap or cluster trap could turn that behaviour off. also when the trap doesn't meet a monster it just lands on the ground at it's target location.
Last edited by LMHTB on Apr 23, 2018, 4:16:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info