General Gem Discussion

"
There are only 3, fireball, firestorm, and flammability. [...]The other two elements have many more skills to play with.

Righteous Fire.

I don't count non-damage Spells such as Flammability, and exluding anything that's not main-Int is silly (after all, you're looking for Spells on your Spell Caster). So with that said:

Fire (5): Fireball, Fire Storm, Flame Totem, Molten Shell, Detonate Dead
Lightning (5): Spark, Nova, Lightning Warp, Arc, Tempest Shield
Cold (4): Ice Nova, Freezing Pulse, Ice Spear, Arctic Breath*

Notes:
-Never seen people use Arctic Breath.

-Fire Trap is crap in my experience. Any other skill in general was more effective, making leveling up simply frustrating. Cleaving with a decent drop was more convenient, reliable and ultimately about as-fast as using Fire Trap (after speccing Trap Radius and about 30% Fire Damage). I exclude it out of spite. It also doesn't function like a regular ol' Spell I guess. ;)

-Cold Snap is basically non-viable for damage output from what I've heard (and due to the cooldown isn't very good at snaring any more), so I didn't count it.
-Ice Wall similarly is not a damage skill, and it can be used with any element to fulfill its purpose; it's quite decent with Firestorm. Just because you want to deal Fire damage doesn't mean you can't use Ice spells. :)

-Infernal Blow and Righteous Fire are also Fire, but their application is too distant from 'regular' Spellcasting that I omitted them.
-Discharge is an all-Element spell, but has quirky use. A typical Spellcaster build wouldn't work with it.

Honestly, Fire's doing fairly well.
GGG's going to add more skills all over the place anyhow; we should be seeing more skills for all sorts of playstyles as the beta progresses.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 30, 2012, 10:23:53 AM
being that you cannot use auras with swapped off weapons, shouldn't it be disabled to use auras and than swap the gem out of an equip?
ign = ultrahiangle
Are there any plans for shape shifting skills like druids in D2? I would find it very fun to be able to be a were-animal. Maybe a werecat, werewolf, werefox for dex characters, werebear for strength, and maybe like (this will sound cheezy) half dragon blood for intelligence. It might be interesting.

The shape shifting skills could give bonus to there respective stats but require a mana reserve like a aura. Or some other bonus.

I would appreciate any response to this. If you like the idea but have a different creature suggestion I would love to hear it.
Ummh...Why there is no Ranged attack totem in the list of skills?
And one thing - why you need to use a bow to use a Ranged attack totem? That sounds kinda useless, was really dissapointed that my 2H Sword ranger can't use them. -_-
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
"
TheEnforcer wrote:

Because it's a support gem...
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
TheEnforcer wrote:

Because it's a support gem...

Yeah, got that already, thanks for answer to unimportant part of my question.
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
"
TheEnforcer wrote:
Yeah, got that already, thanks for answer to unimportant part of my question.

because the totem needs to take stats from you to use a skill it is linked with. bow attacks need a bow to use, so...
Hi, where I can find icons of all active skills? I sometimes watch streams and I would like to know which skill player use. Also, I don't know which support gem have "w, a, m..."? Do you have list of skills with icons?
content deleted by user: wrong forum
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 28, 2012, 2:59:19 AM
It is all about lightning because it chains or creates projectiles.
which gives mass Aoe. It is not like you can just add increase Aoe and have great damage because mobs are usually spread out. The Other elements need to have a fun and useful variation or chain/fork. Another thing is Gmp/Lmp/Fork/Chain are all dext which makes no sense to me because I would think intelligence would make you capable of such things.

Also Where is the fast teleporting that allows you to rush to bosses?
Please thing of something Diablo 2 was lopsided in lightning/holy damage.
all you have is the lightning. Balance

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info