Witch Tree Has Always Annoyed Me

Now that Ice spells are getting some love, an old ache of mine resurfaces.

Why is it that it costs me 2 extra points to get to the Ice wheel at the top of the tree (Breath of Rime and Heart of Ice)? Fire is always 1 point because of the life nodes near it. Even if you're CI or something, Ice is at least an extra point out of the way.

Why am I penalized for choosing an element other than Fire? Why can't all three elements branch from a single node above witch so none are favored more by efficient pathing?

It's been like this FOR YEARS. WHHYYYYYYY
Last bumped on Dec 7, 2018, 3:42:42 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

For reference.
I never thought about that specifically, but there are some other things, like the DoT node on the way to Corruption is wasted on Dark Pact, or when converting/getting extra chaos with skills that hit. Then the ele damage you have to get if you want the resistance from fire/lightning/frost walker. I'd rather it give piddly resist, then the others give slightly less.
It's true; even though the build I'm planning is low-life, it goes past the jewel node at the top to zip along the edge to the left to take a bunch of stuff down that path. Both the lightning and fire wheels are directly connected to this, but for ice I have to take the extra node going right. Overall it's worth it looking at the DPS numbers, but it would be more worth it with either fire or lightning from not wasting that one point.
They want you to play fire

or GGG never used those wheels

I agree there is a lot of unnecessary shit
Need more brains, exile?
+1

The placement of the Cold wheel is unfortunate indeed. Cold casters are forced to spend 2 extra skill points for no reason whatsoever.
Yeah this has been one thing I had always noticed too. In most trees it is just more expensive.
While I see what you mean here, there are nodes like this all over the tree.

Maybe in this case then can flip the power charges nodes with the life nodes. Kind of like how the duelist is on the bottom. Or give another way to exit the witch area to the outer wall. Maybe move the dual wield nodes over and put some other travel points around there.

In the end though, there are discrepancies this like all over the tree that you can point out.
I kind of agree there, this does not seem like an oportunity cost at all since all 3 elements are supposedly equaly viable, imho.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
I kinda hate the witch tree because I never feel like I have enough life unless I go for the scion life nodes which are pretty far away from any other useful nodes aside from maybe elemental equilibrium.

But I also agree with the OP, it sucks to spend extra points for going cold or lightning.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info