Skill Reveal: Lancing Steel and Shattering Steel

Question:
The description of the "Impale" suggests that the extra damage from hitting an impaled enemy will only be physical damage. Does Impale not work then, if you are doing a 100% elemental build with the caveat of "Deal no Physical damage?"
I'm curious how this will work with bleed?

If it adds the damage done as flat damage to the hit and counts to the bleed damage that would be amazing for bleed, as it would give some extra scaling and you could actually go with some upfront damage along with the ailment.

If it doesn't, then I suppose it could be okay? vs bosses, if repeated hits don't scale the impale damage then it probably won't do as well as other skills that can be converted.

Really would like to know about the bleed though. Feels like it could have potential if it went that route, otherwise like many are saying it could end up just average, just use vaal dual strike.
"
Issarelias wrote:

I bet, impale is considered a secondary effect and will probably not interact with anything. While bleeding would still be cool as an interaction, your second suggestion would probably be too strong, especially when considering that impale can stack 5 times. (i.e. with 5 stacks you already get approximately 50% more damage per hit. if you let this increase feed back into the stack generation, your damage increase grows exponentially over time)
Last edited by UlfgardLeo on Nov 24, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
"
UlfgardLeo wrote:
"
Issarelias wrote:

I bet, impale is considered a secondary effect and will probably not interact with anything. While bleeding would still be cool as an interaction, your second suggestion would probably be too strong, especially when considering that impale can stack 5 times. (i.e. with 5 stacks you already get approximately 50% more damage per hit. if you let this increase feed back into the stack generation, your damage increase grows exponentially over time)

Actually, if it does work such that a feedback loop is generated, then it would eventually reach a soft cap where each impale stack would be (almost) 20% of the base hit (100% + 5 * 20% = 200%, 10% of which is 20% for the new impale).
"
AurumBrisingr wrote:
Question:
The description of the "Impale" suggests that the extra damage from hitting an impaled enemy will only be physical damage. Does Impale not work then, if you are doing a 100% elemental build with the caveat of "Deal no Physical damage?"

It's intended, you can already scale elemental off the charts with stat stick off-hands.
"
Issarelias wrote:

If it adds the damage done as flat damage to the hit and counts to the bleed damage that would be amazing for bleed, as it would give some extra scaling and you could actually go with some upfront damage along with the ailment.

If it doesn't, then I suppose it could be okay? vs bosses, if repeated hits don't scale the impale damage then it probably won't do as well as other skills that can be converted.

Really would like to know about the bleed though. Feels like it could have potential if it went that route, otherwise like many are saying it could end up just average, just use vaal dual strike.

Impale works when you hit the enemy again. A bleed isn't considered a hit, so Bleeds will likely have no direct interaction, other than the fact that a hit that causes Impale could also cause Bleed at the same time, but Impale is a separate damage treated as "reflect damage" (note: not a reflected attack).
Born dead. Reskinned barrage and reskinned gmp ice shot, nothing else.

Point 1: make them 2H only. C'mon, they're attacks, not spells, if you're going to throw metal scrap at mobs, the very least you need is a BIG metal stick in your hands.

Point 2: give a huge boost to the impale effect. Let's compare it with Shock. Impale -> added 10% of the only physical, only unmitigated damage, only in the next attack. Shock -> MORE minimum 20% damage from ALL sources for ALL hits within shock duration. Now tell us why not to convert it to lightning. Hint: the own "impale" word suggests that it absolutely penetrates armor/block chances (and even proximity shields, tbh)

Point 3: remove or nerf conversion possibilities for impale skills. In example, "50% of physical damage can't be converted" or "50% of elemental damage converted to physical damage". I can imagine someone being impaled by an ice stick, OK... but how can fire/lightning impale anything?

Even with all 3 points being implemented, they'd still lack originality, but that doesn't affect playability.

Rework on 3.6 or bury on 3.7
Feel free to ckeck some skill suggestions:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2253742
"
Lykkoith wrote:
Hint: the own "impale" word suggests that it absolutely penetrates armor/block chances (and even proximity shields, tbh)

Not that this completely negates your point, but the impale damage that is stored is based on the damage dealt prior to mitigation. So if you do a 1k hit, and 70% is mitigated, you do 300 damage with the attack, but your impale remembers 100 (10% of 1k) and does that 5 times for a total of 500 damage. So it does penetrate defenses essentially, still, it could have been a way to bolster the use of 2 handed weapons like you suggested.
Looks nice! TY GGG!
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Lots of salt and some very good suggestions in this thread. However folks seem to forget that these skills have barely been teasted at this point. We really don't know a lot about them yet. Caring community this is. :-)

That being said, I think we all agree that buffs to 2H and self-casters are badly needed at this point. Why not simply buff 2H-nodes accordingly? People have also brought up many good points about the unrewarding state of melee. Molten Strike, I absolutely hate the skill!

Looking at these new projectile attack skills I am actually hyped for something different as long as I can build efficiently for single target too. The sound they make is really nice, I like it! As pointed out it remains to see some actual numbers here.

Strength-stacking max-block bleedsplosion Glad?
Slayer/something Ascendant?
Point Blank and Iron Grip ftw!

Guess we'll find out more next week.
Last edited by hogmark on Nov 28, 2018, 8:44:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info