the biggest weakness of POE is...?what stops you from playing POE!

@Xavathos
How is it unphased? It got greatly streamlined/simplified because the majority of people loathe it and GGG changed it.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Nov 20, 2018, 3:45:50 AM
This game takes too much time to play and consistently do something in the game.

I can play 7 days a week for 2 hours each and I will maybe see an exlated orb drop once a year. Or I can play 1 day a week for 14 hours, and I'll definitely see at least 2-3 exalted orbs drops in just the duration of a league (3 months). This is a repeating theme throughout all drops and random encounters; not just exalted orbs.

This league my character has 5 days 12 hours played, i.e. over 130 hours. At least 1/3 of this felt like an unecessary grind which gets me nowhere. So I could've bought 3-4 games and played them through for the same amount of time. I'm pretty sure the enjoyment factor would have been far greater if I had done this instead.

Overall time commitment for this game vs. enjoyment factor is not enough for me to bother, if the league is not good. And I don't even log in standard anymore, there is nothing for me there.

I'm currently playing MTG Arena. It is insanely more fun than PoE in terms of accessibility. After one week of playing, the new player is given access to 5 fairly powerful decks. Any player. Sure, you can get fairly powerful in 1 week in PoE as well, but only if you've spent 1k+ hours in the game and know what you're doing. Even watching MTG Arena streaming is more fun to me than playing PoE, which I think is catastrophic.
“We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lovers.”
Last edited by Frostride on Nov 20, 2018, 3:51:19 AM
"
Frostride wrote:
This game takes too much time to play and consistently do something in the game.

I can play 7 days a week for 2 hours each and I will maybe see an exlated orb drop once a year. Or I can play 1 day a week for 14 hours, and I'll definitely see at least 2-3 exalted orbs drops in just the duration of a league (3 months). This is a repeating theme throughout all drops and random encounters; not just exalted orbs.

This league my character has 5 days 12 hours played, i.e. over 130 hours. At least 1/3 of this felt like an unecessary grind which gets me nowhere. So I could've bought 3-4 games and played them through for the same amount of time. I'm pretty sure the enjoyment factor would have been far greater if I had done this instead.

Overall time commitment for this game vs. enjoyment factor is not enough for me to bother, if the league is not good. And I don't even log in standard anymore, there is nothing for me there.

I'm currently playing MTG Arena. It is insanely more fun than PoE in terms of accessibility. After one week of playing, the new player is given access to 5 fairly powerful decks. Any player. Sure, you can get fairly powerful in 1 week in PoE as well, but only if you've spent 1k+ hours in the game and know what you're doing. Even watching MTG Arena streaming is more fun to me than playing PoE, which I think is catastrophic.

There should be vote + button to make GGG see how users react to suggestions.

+1 for this, I was 5 years just a player, last week I tried to change something with posts on forums and you hit my feelings. Again +1
"
Frostride wrote:

Pretty much this. Yup. I have dozens of games, and am interested in practically a hundred others that I have not played yet.

This one does not do too much to earn my time anymore :(

New updates are neat... but there are so many core problems that remain unaddressed.
My RNG.

I have couple characters over 90, never seen a T15 map. I've seen maybe 3 exalted drop. New leagues have all the cool new stuff, but 3 months just doesn't seem long enough to warrant starting the grind from scratch. I still play in small chunks, mostly watching youtube while trying to get a helm enchant and hoping some new content comes to standard one day, that isn't so heavily RNG gated.
To OP's question: nothing yet - but today's announcement of the new dailies' machanic could possibly do the trick.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
In my case, it's the experience penalty too.

"
Damac0101 wrote:
Many people wrote about death penalty(is it 10% right now?), I mostly HC player and 85% of all my chars die around lvl 90. So what exactly stops you: grind to lvl 100, is it really so important for you or unexplained fast death???

And one more thing I'm from EU, and most of my deaths happens due to pushing content(low hp,one shots or low dps), I don't have crazy PC, but do you really experiencing network or performance lags???

I dropped the game due to that penalty, so here's a good chunk about the issue to think about:

1) The experience system sets up a feeling of progression that is what I am looking for when playing the game. When I hit the max level, I may end up choosing another metric (most likely equipment) for that, but in the meantime it is the only coherent metric to use.

2) I don't have unlimited time, and when I am spending it playing, I expect to have a good experience. Let's say I spend 1 hour per day playing the game, and at some point I fail for whatever reason and lose 5 hours' worth of experience. It then suddenly feels as if I've wasted all the time I've spent playing the game for 1 week, which is a massively negative experience.

3) At first, the penalty is ok. When you die while levelling, you can easily get the experience back, and it can be corrected without completely changing the build. But when you reach the high levels, a negative loop starts setting up. There aren't many minor corrections left to change, so there's not much you can do on the character itself outside of scrapping your build completely (very negative experience), and even very tanky characters can die for small mistakes. As the penalty starts becoming more and more taxing, you learn to avoid dangerous content, and expand the content you deem too dangerous as the loss becomes more important. Thus, you don't get to train your skill on challenging stuff anymore, the amount of experience you gain stagnates or even drops, as the stuff you attempt is lower level, and any attempt at challenging content is harshly punished. The game only becomes mindlessly grinding ultra-easy content, and avoiding anything remotely dangerous. As you aren't into the game anymore, you only do dailies and low-level maps, and your complete lack of attention can kill you again, pushing you to yet even crappier content.

4) Any attempt to point out the issue I am facing is quickly met by a lot of disparaging comments, usually along the lines of "get good", that attempt to say that no comment you make can possibly hold any value. A lot of the other opposing comments feel like they are along the lines of "your solution isn't 100% perfect, so it's better to keep the current crappy system".

5) The motivation to play the game is gone, and there is this feeling that nothing will ever be done about it. This is why I deleted my account (MrTremere).
Awful balance. One of, if not THE worst I've seen in an RPG in fact. A lot of factors contribute to that conclusion like many Single Target skills dealing just the same or worst damage than AoE spam. Content is braindead easy for the most part and you just waste time on the 10 acts, end content is too much of gear/build wall and it limits build diversity.

Combat/animations are too stiff + melee skills are truly lacking. Many arpg's are at fault at this but PoE takes the prize. As a melee I want to TRULY be melee, swinging my weapon in many different attacks possible(which can come from skills), not just cast a spell from the end of my sword/axe/mace. Current selection of melee skills where you have to hit your target with the weapon just pales in comparison to the broad selection of spells available to casters. GGG needs to invest in better animation/models and completely revamp + come up with a lot of new truly melee skills.

Building is too complicated, but for no actual reason. If this resulted in builds playing entirely different from one anohter, then it would be really cool, but it's rarely the case. Too many restrictions when building get in the way of making a character you want to roleplay, because he will probably be too weak for endgame content.

There is no real incentive to have more than one AoE/ST because the game has no cooldowns and just rewards mindless spamming. Introducing a gem that grants more power at the cost of cooldown(lesser, greater) would result in builds that play a bit differently, but GGG doesn't seem concerned about diversity that doesn't translate in: "He shoots blue, the other one shoots red.".

Balancing a game around one-shots is simply ridiculous and pre-historic game design, no matter what reasons you give for that.
its a combination of things.

Conectivity+FPS+10%ex penalty.

I could usually deal with any combination of two of those. Not 3.

I love to grind my way to the end of the game, specially with a self-made build, try new things and theorycraft, and POE is perfect for that, but those 3 things in tandem can completely ruin the expirence, both literally and figuratively.

I still get amazed how i can run Skyrim just fine, but this game puts my CPU in olympic overclock without even trying. Warframe has a higher requisite for performance, and runs smoothly as silk, both in graphics and server.

I will keep playing, because the pros highly surprass the cons, but those cons are serious and need some atention ASP.
there isn't really anything stopping me from playing poe leagues on my playing account except my girlfriend and my real life duties.

it's all fun and worthwhile, there is so much to do i can imagine it being overwhelming for new players who aren't up to a 2 day study of the wiki.

labyrinth is a rather short sidestory, performance of the client engine is ok even on my 5 year old pc and i regularily try to dive as deep as my time allows into endgame.

---

for me, the only fun stoppers are midleague nerfs to the gameplay. some players find exploits, masses of players get their challenges done easily, then ggg steps in late to close the loophole.

it's ok from ggg's pov to stop that abuse but their dealings with the consequences is suboptimal:

why not remove those formerly abusable challenges from the list and give them to the other players as "done" cause 1/3rd of the playerbase got it in a unfair way already?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info