{3.10} Speaker for the Dead | The Mass Minion Summoner | League Starter, Leveling Guide 💀

Just leveled all the gems to lvl 20 (at least those that were recommended). My question is it worth trading them in for 20% quality and re-level them all again and try for lvl 21 if possible? I am hesitant to start all over and lose the dps to get them back to where they are for mapping.
"
Hercanic wrote:

1. Added Fire will help Phantasms, but not Spectres. The proliferated Ignites might give your minions Power Charges more often, though.

How? Could you elaborate how Ignites could give power charges to minions?

Never used elemental proliferation and never really understood how good it is. Should it be the last gem to add in a 6L? Meaning, if I only have a 5L, should I keep Ele proliferation out or something else?

Also, I might have missed it somewhere, but I'm assuming we need flat added chaos damage to minions for vile toxins to really kick in?

I feel like I should be dealing more damage than what I currently am (maybe because I'm missing flat chaos dmg on minions?). If it's not too much trouble could you check my character and advise me on what to change?

Cheers!
Last edited by AliveFD on Dec 17, 2018, 12:47:45 PM
"
kendo3 wrote:
"
Hercanic wrote:

No, you're right, Kendo3.

Haha, yep, the downfall of the summoner! Sometimes I don't even do anything; I just let my minions party on while I scrounge up loot. I am so glad we now have the light beams and map icons to signal good drops. I still worry I am missing stuff, so I end up wasting time double-checking too often. A bad habit from the olden days.

shows how much I have missed being gone from the game for a while. I wasn't aware of the map icons, so have been trying to go by sounds and retracing my steps to look for items :(

have tried searching for information on that and it appears you have to use a filter, could not find a built in option in user settings. is that correct? or am I missing an obvious toggle?

100% learn to use filterblade man, it's game changing.

"
krut0n wrote:
Just leveled all the gems to lvl 20 (at least those that were recommended). My question is it worth trading them in for 20% quality and re-level them all again and try for lvl 21 if possible? I am hesitant to start all over and lose the dps to get them back to where they are for mapping.

I just did this myself, and it did suck for a few maps because minions started dying again and damage was low, but they get back up pretty quickly.
Last edited by Alerean on Dec 17, 2018, 3:11:45 PM
@ Alerean:
"
Alerean wrote:
I just got a rare and unique Stygian Vise...I'm assuming if you have very good Jewels the unique can be better?

You must be able to beat the stats of a belt with two Abyssal Jewels if you want it to be better than a Stygian Vise. Darkness Enthroned can match life (2x 50 = 150), and is better for damage or other unique attributes of Abyssal Jewels, but is terrible for Elemental Resistances. If your resistances are solved elsewhere, then Darkness Enthroned is a superior option. If not, you probably shouldn't use it, as the belt slot is #1 when it comes to capping resists.

@ Tklaebo:
"
Tklaebo wrote:
I'm sure it's there, I've just not spotted it.

But gems in Epiloge, is it just adding Elemental Proliferation support to the Specter gem? Then keep the rest as you have past lvl 38?

You can start using Elemental Proliferation when you have Frost Sentinels. Actually, you could probably use it when you have Hatred, since Phantasms will deal Cold Damage for Freeze proliferation.

"
Tklaebo wrote:
I miss a few slots for gems. Is it worth dropping stone golem for Projectile Weakness, and is it correcto to link it together with Cast when dmg taken?

You only want Stone Golem when you do Labyrinth, to help with recovery from trap damage. Aside from that, Projectile Weakness is superior due to allowing Pierce for your Agony Crawler and Spectres. If you are not using Projectile Weakness, I recommend at least giving Pierce Support to the Agony Crawler.

"
Tklaebo wrote:
Also past the Epilog tree, the 92 points. as far as I can see I'll be at lvl 75 at that point, after that I just put points as I see fit? I couldn't see and guide past that point?

You are probably missing some Books of Skill quests. You earn up to 24 skill points outside of levels. 92 - 24 = 68 points. So you must be level 69.

Use the final tree as a guide. Don't get jewel sockets if you don't have really good jewels for them like I do. Instead, use the points on the Scion and Templar life nodes.

@ kendo3:
"
kendo3 wrote:
I wasn't aware of the map icons, so have been trying to go by sounds and retracing my steps to look for items :(

have tried searching for information on that and it appears you have to use a filter, could not find a built in option in user settings. is that correct? or am I missing an obvious toggle?

No idea; I always use a loot filter and highly recommend everyone to do the same. Trash drops get absolutely ridiculous, you can't even see anything if you don't have a filter.

A filter is just a text file you place in your PoE user directory (Documents\My Games\Path of Exile), and then from the in-game options you set that file as your filter. Easy "installation." You can even customize your own filter at filterblade.xyz.

@ krut0n:
"
krut0n wrote:

Are you in a trade league or SSF?

Trade league: Buy 21/20 of all minion gems you can afford (except Raise Spectre). We depend on our minions, so having the best will give the best results.

Most support gems don't need to be 21, only a few like Elemental Proliferation or Vile Toxins have a significant boost at level 21.

In the Gem Links and Gear section I list out what level and quality is best for each gem.

For minion gems you cannot afford 21, buy -/20 and level them in your second weapon set. Switch them in when they are level 18 or 19, then upgrade your existing level 20s to level them in your second weapon set. This will give you a backup after attempting to Vaal later on.

Alternatively, buy level ~19/- to use as replacements, and upgrade your existing gems to 1/20. Use whichever method is affordable for you. Level your newly upgraded gems in your offhand until they are 18-19 and switch them out.

For most support gems, it's fine to just upgrade them to 1/20. They'll reach level 18 in no time, and quality is often enough to make up the difference (or is even better, such as in the case of Faster Attacks Support).

SSF: A similar idea, but you buy vendor gems and level them in your second weapon set. When they reach level 18-19, switch them in, upgrade your 20s, and level the 1/20s in your second weapon set. This ensures a minimal loss of damage.

@ AliveFD:
"
AliveFD wrote:
"
Hercanic wrote:

1. Added Fire will help Phantasms, but not Spectres. The proliferated Ignites might give your minions Power Charges more often, though.

How? Could you elaborate how Ignites could give power charges to minions?

Whoops, I should have qualified that. You'll need the Victario's Charity shield, which gives you a 10% chance to grant a Power Charge to nearby allies on kill. Ordinarily you don't get any kills, because your minions are doing the killing. However, kills from damage over time are credited to you, even if applied by a minion. So any kills from proliferated Ignites are your kills. 10% of those will trigger Power Charges for your minions.

"
AliveFD wrote:
Never used elemental proliferation and never really understood how good it is. Should it be the last gem to add in a 6L? Meaning, if I only have a 5L, should I keep Ele proliferation out or something else?

I value it above Minion Damage, given how we're only using Spectres and Phantasms for clear.

When your minions cause an elemental ailment, the effects of that ailment are broadcast in an area around the target, affecting all nearby monsters with the same potency as on the original target. So if there's a pack of twenty monsters with a rare at the center who has, let's say, 50 billion life, which with life that high would be impossible to freeze normally, if the 20% chance to freeze triggers on just one of those monsters it will freeze the entire 20-mob pack, including the rare with absurd life, all for the same duration as the original monster. So you can get a max 3-second freeze on bosses that have weak adds, provided they don't have "Cannot be Fully Slowed" (Freeze is technically a 100% slow).

Proliferation guarantees your freezes if you can freeze just one target. It's a powerful defense.

"
AliveFD wrote:
Also, I might have missed it somewhere, but I'm assuming we need flat added chaos damage to minions for vile toxins to really kick in?

No. Our character is the one poisoning. Ball Lightning means a single target will have over a dozen Poison stacks within a second. Vile Toxins Support multiplies all damage based on how many stacks of Poison are on the target that is hit. Skeletons need not have applied the Poison themselves.

"
AliveFD wrote:
I feel like I should be dealing more damage than what I currently am (maybe because I'm missing flat chaos dmg on minions?). If it's not too much trouble could you check my character and advise me on what to change?

Cheers!

You don't need two Skeleton gems. Vaal Summon Skeletons grants the original skill along with the Vaal skill. You're likely casting that unsupported Summon Skeleton in your boots instead of your fully supported Vaal Summon Skeleton's normal Summon Skeleton skill.

Second is to make sure you've re-raised your Spectres in the highest possible zone you can. If you're using under-leveled Spectres, then they won't have the damage to reliably spawn Phantasms, which will significantly hurt your clear potential.

Your Spectre gem allows max level Spectres, so that's good. Your Desecrate is level 19, so it only creates corpses up to level 82. You'll want a weapon on weapon swap with +1 to gem level or +1 to Chaos gem level. By putting your Desecrate in there you can boost it to level 20, which allows max level corpses. When you have that in order, you can buy an Oba's Cursed Trove map. Complete the map, and in the last area is a level 84 zone that you can raise max level Spectres.

=====================================
IMPORTANT NOTE:
=====================================
If you ever need to change out your body armor or do crafting on it, go to town first. Wear the new body armor and slot Raise Spectre in the exact same socket position (in your case position #1). For crafting, temporarily wear a Tabula Rasa or any body armor where you can keep Raise Spectre in the same socket position while you craft on your actual body armor. And, of course, go back to town again to switch back!

If you make the mistake of ever changing gear in your Hideout (oops, you lost the DEX from that item, which disabled your body armor, and now:), the Spectres you worked so hard on will go POOF. Gone. Forever. Until you go to the trouble of raising them all over again.

As long as the Spectre gem stays in the same socket position, you will not lose your Spectres when you go back to your Hideout to use your crafting bench. If you get a new body armor, always make sure the first socket is blue so you can place Raise Spectre there and keep your Spectres (always change gear in town!!!!).
Last edited by Hercanic on Dec 17, 2018, 3:55:44 PM
Edit: my bad I cant read lol
Last edited by Limeyness on Dec 17, 2018, 4:29:40 PM
Syndicate's being nerfed, woot. Also it looks like we might be able to Delve more now.
Last edited by Alerean on Dec 17, 2018, 6:53:30 PM
GAME UPDATE
Patch 3.5.0d will be deployed this Tuesday/Wednesday, depending on your timezone. It has several fixes that are relevant to Speaker for the Dead:

"
Natalia_GGG wrote:
Improved Betrayal encounters by reducing damage dealt by most Syndicate members, improving skill signalling, reducing Syndicate member damage bonuses from some items, reducing skill off-screening, cleaning up residual objects to reduce clutter and reducing additional monster spawns in Fortification encounters.

Betrayal encounters were ridiculous for most builds, but for anyone first trying this build they wondered whether the build was at fault. Hopefully these changes will make the encounters more reasonable, and a true test of the build over others.

"
Natalia_GGG wrote:
Players that have clicked the plinth in the first Delve encounter should now have both two and three socket crafting recipes as originally intended.
"
Natalia_GGG wrote:
The plinths which unlock the three-socket-colour, six-socket and six-link crafting modifiers now correctly spawn in Vaal Outpost, Abyssal City and Primeval Ruins respectively.

Belly of the Beast owners, rejoice! Off-coloring will be possible once again!

"
Natalia_GGG wrote:
Fixed a bug where the Soul of Lunaris pantheon could sometimes cause your movement speed to be reduced until you changed areas.

We will be able to use Lunaris again! If anyone missed it, I had recommended everyone switch over to Solaris until the Lunaris bug was fixed.
I'm having trouble with the uber elder encounter, i'm not sure how you manage to get enough poison ticks on the bosse, without getting overwhelmed and getting interrupted.
It's a bit tricky, even though i'm dying due to lots of mistakes, i don't feel like i'm damaging both elder + portals fast enough. With the boss specter setup (pierce, vile toxin, echo, conceffect) + enfeeble.
The skelettons died very quick with the swarm of voids on the ground. It's tough to get a good timing to be safe and invoke them.
If you have any specific hint about this fight in particular especially about the positionnement, i would gladly hear your opinion.
Finally i use a 3 frost sentinels setup because i notice solar guards aren't surviving against shaper frost damage, i'm wondering if there's any alternative for bossing in this case.

Anyway i'll try to figure out in the next few days. It's a fun build and enjoyable build. Cheers !
Last edited by HarunaYukinoshita on Dec 17, 2018, 10:14:09 PM
"
I'm having trouble with the uber elder encounter, i'm not sure how you manage to get enough poison ticks on the bosse, without getting overwhelmed and getting interrupted.
It's a bit tricky, even though i'm dying due to lots of mistakes, i don't feel like i'm damaging both elder + portals fast enough. With the boss specter setup (pierce, vile toxin, echo, conceffect) + enfeeble.
The skelettons died very quick with the swarm of voids on the ground. It's tough to get a good timing to be safe and invoke them.
If you have any specific hint about this fight in particular especially about the positionnement, i would gladly hear your opinion.
Finally i use a 3 frost sentinels setup because i notice solar guards aren't surviving against shaper frost damage, i'm wondering if there's any alternative for bossing in this case.

Anyway i'll try to figure out in the next few days. It's a fun build and enjoyable build. Cheers !

1. Minion Resistances: This is why the Solar Guard died while the Frost Sentinels did not. Frost Sentinels have a base 75% Cold Resistance, while Solar Guards have 0%. They all gain another 30% from the Raise Spectre gem and 15% from the tree. So Solar Guards end up at 45% Cold Resistance. They are taking more than double damage from all the Cold Damage in this fight. Same goes for your Skeletons. They have a base of 40% elemental resistance and 15% from the tree, so they sit at 55%.

You need two jewels with 10% Minion Resistances. This will cap your Skeletons and essentially double their effective life and regeneration when standing in Volatile Anomalies.

To make room, the jewels you can replace are Carrion Essence (trade Shield Charge to a vendor with one Orb of Scouring to drop its level by one), Whispering Glare, and Hollow Sphere. You can temporarily replace Unending Hunger during Uber Elder as well.

2. Controlled Destruction: Concentrated Effect does nothing for Frost Sentinels. Were you using pure Solar Guards before? The gem in the guide was supposed to be Controlled Destruction, which gives more spell damage in exchange for reducing crit chance, but it can't reduce below the base 5% so it has no downside for our Spectres.

3. Do one action, then move with Shield Charge. Charged Dash counts as an action, because you stay in place until you release. So don't cast Skeletons and then use Charged Dash. That's two actions. One action, move.

4. Volatile Anomalies: You don't have to pop them. Take this 3.8k es/life Spectre Summoner for example, circle-strafing around to corral the anomalies. Much of the fight relies on technical execution.

5. Skeletons will die. That's okay. Other builds have to stop attacking to dodge, other summoners' minions stop attacking to follow. Skeletons will continue to attack while you dodge, but in exchange they are frail. Re-summoning a batch of Skeletons is what briefly stopping to pop off a couple of attacks are to other builds.

6. Poison: Shaper and Elder look to have a radius of about 10-15. That means a single Ball Lightning will hit one of them 8-10 times. Although Virulence degens, it's a convenient but rough way to gauge how many Poisons you've applied. At 80% Chance to Poison, one Ball Lightning will inflict 6-8 Poisons. A level 20 Vile Toxins only needs 9 Poisons to give 45% more damage. A level 21 needs 10 for 50% more damage. Poison lasts two seconds, and you apply what you need with less than two Ball Lightnings that you can cast 3 times per second.

7. Fortify: Do you have a second set of gloves for using Fortify with Charged Dash? You could then replace Fortify on Shield Charge with a Chaos Golem to up your Physical Damage Reduction (or something else like Phase Run). You'll want a second Victario's Charity shield so you don't have to chrome your original.

8. Spectres: Are they level 84?

9. Endgame Bosses: Have you already read this section in More Guides? There's some preliminary stuff on Uber Elder in there, like Pantheon changes and such.

10. Positioning Tactics: Shaper mainly attacks in a line, with the occassional Slam. Both his beam and projectiles lock him in one direction, so side-stepping the vector of his attack is the most efficient way to dodge. Elder, on the other hand, primarily attacks in a cone with different gaps between the projectiles of his sequenced pattern. A cone is smallest at its point, and the gaps are widest when furthest away. So either staying very close or very far away from Elder gives you the best chance of avoiding his projectiles. If close, Shield Charge through and behind him, or towards his side and out of the cone's area. Be mindful of which way you plan to dodge Elder, and keep Shaper perpendicular to that trajectory. That way dodging Elder also dodges Shaper's line of attack. If they end up parallel, dodging one can put you in harms way of the other.

11. Life: A few of your jewels aren't worth the points spent for the socket. Until you can afford better, consider taking the points back on a couple and putting them into life nodes.

12. Portals: Vaal Skeletons are great for when you need damage over a large area simultaneously, so save them for these stages. If Portals are still giving you too much trouble, although it'll lower your single-target damage, try using Melee Splash on Skeletons instead of Bloodlust.

13. Cold Damage: You've got some added cold on your ring. This'll cause Charged Dash to briefly weaken your minions' cold damage. Ball Lightning will quickly overwrite it, but there's still a gap. Upgrade the ring when you can to a 15 LGoHw/Spells without any added damage, it'll help.
Last edited by Hercanic on Dec 18, 2018, 5:10:19 AM
"
Hercanic wrote:

1. Minion Resistances: [...]

I see, my jewels aren't really optimised for this after reflexion. i'll try to get more minion resistances. I somehow neglicted their importance after just self crafting/find some.
"
Hercanic wrote:
2. Controlled Destruction:[...]

Was a Typo on my end, it was controlled destruction, writing at 4am my time isn't helping. I was using 2 frost sentinels and 1 solar guards.
"
Hercanic wrote:
3. Do one action, [...]

I get the feeling, that you have to keep spawning skeletons, so i end up charge dashing, summon twice, and repeaet in this pattern. but it's more me being stubborn about want to have up asap.
"
Hercanic wrote:
4. Volatile Anomalies: [...]

I see, since i've done the fight with a bowyer, and volatile dead, arc trap, i do feel the need to pop them. Circling around with shield charge is sometime clunky, i charge in some part of the bound limit and get halt midway. And because i feel the fight was taking longer than i expect it to be, i thought popping them is more of a relief.
"
Hercanic wrote:
5. Skeletons will die. [...]
6. Poison: [...]

These 2 are tied together for me, since they die, i have to invoke them, but then get conflicted between throwing balls lightning and invoking more, and one component is missing from another.
I somehow underestimate how many balls lightning are needed to get the maximum poison stack for vile toxin to be efficient.
But yeah it's basically misplay on my end. By my judgement, i thought you needed to launch 3 to 4 ball lightnings to get the max poison stacks. It's good to know you need way less. (Although, the low uptime of poison makes me panic)
"
Hercanic wrote:
7. Fortify:[...]

I do not use a second set of Fortify, and finding a second set of gloves are really hard. I'll try to remediate about this.
"
Hercanic wrote:
8. Spectres: Are they level 84?

Yes
"
Hercanic wrote:
9. Endgame Bosses:[...]

I did, it was helpful, i've had some experience with uber elder with other builds, but as summoner, it is really new for me and different.
"
Hercanic wrote:
10. Positioning Tactics:[...]

Interesting, i usually try to get in range of elder's melee attacks, so i get a larger sight for both boss to avoid some telegraphs attacks. The bit about lining both boss is really informative, i'll try to check that.
"
Hercanic wrote:
11. Life:[...]

Figures, after reading the 1st paragraph, my jewels are underwhelming. I'll try to change for my next fight. I do think 6k life and 300 life regen is a bit light when i account all the mistakes i may and will make.
"
Hercanic wrote:
12. Portals:[...]

I had it in mind, that i could just use vaal skeletons for the portals, instead of thinking of nuking a phase.
"
Hercanic wrote:
13. Cold Damage:[...]

I'll change the ring. I do sometime charge through things and not making any consideration about how i reduce my minions damage through EE.
----

Thank you OP to find time to enlighten me and answering my questions. And excuse me in advance if my english looks rough (ESL).
Last edited by HarunaYukinoshita on Dec 18, 2018, 6:25:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info