Grinding Gear Games is hiring Programmers!

switch cross-over confirmed lol
IGN- Wadski
GL I guess.
"
Ashriel wrote:
I hope you find someone capable of reverting the CoC and AoE nerfs, since no one seems to be able to do that.

I'm quite sure that happens as soon as people learn that programming has nothing to do with game balance. A shit... never. Well bad luck i guess.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Last edited by tsunamikun on Sep 6, 2018, 7:08:07 AM
i can decorate hideouts, got mad skills!
Very nice.
<*)))><
id love too but im only a student TT
"
tsunamikun wrote:
"
Ashriel wrote:
I hope you find someone capable of reverting the CoC and AoE nerfs, since no one seems to be able to do that.

I'm quite sure that happens as soon as people learn that programming has nothing to do with game balance. A shit... never. Well bad luck i guess.

P much this. I'm sure being a programmer will get you into meetings about game balance [if you want to be there][if you have the time to spend away from programming] and so you could probably have some tiny measure of additional input to the balance team, but that's about it.

It would definitely be really cool to work for GGG. I have some experience with C++ professionally, but 'modern C++' lol -- that's so hard to come by, at least in the US. All C++ code I run into is a minimum of 10 years old. All C++ code I run into isn't using modern standards. I have seen such shit in my time, I couldn't even TELL you what good C++ even looks like! If such a thing does even exist! Use the new standard library conventions I guess? Uhh... STL and Boost? Is that all you need to be a 'modern c++ progrmamer'? lol

Finding somebody with 'modern C++ experience' and game dev experience is going to be really, really hard! Especially once you tell your candidates that...yeah, GGG can't really pay for shit? I highly doubt they can match US or EU wages. Not that they should try to imo, their strength is they can get a lot of programmers much cheaper than if they were a US or EU developer. They might try to match compensation for foreign employees but I doubt it.

Relocating to NZ is an awesome perk I think, but you have to be realistic about what that means. If you want to move back to the EU or US at some point, your 'earning potential' kind of reduced? What I'm trying to say is NZ wages are a lot lower and your savings/investments won't transfer back very easily. I think they're on the very low end of 'first world countries'?

I might have the wrong perspective on this, I think it would be really awesome to work for GGG, but I think the list of people who can do the job, want to do the job, and can afford to...is really quite small! So good luck people!

But based on all these factors, and the general market for programmers as it is -- I think it makes a lot of sense to apply even if YOU think you're not good enough. GGG has a lot of asks here. That doesn't mean you're not the right candidate. If you're on the fence, go whip up a simple game in C++ over a weekend, send a resume to GGG, and dazzle them with how you're going to write clean (hopefully testable) code. I don't think it should be too hard to get in their short list.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 6, 2018, 9:01:04 AM
I would ace the experience, the degree, absolute mad skills in c++ are available, gpu experience, but...I made the mistake to get those skills in machine-learning research instead of game-programming.

Welp, we all make our mistakes.
I is aware that C++ exists, and I talk and spell gud - can I haz the job?
The requirements for the Senior Engine Programmer are quite deadly ! Are you okay Jonathan ??!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info