Ask a Question Game - Backwater Thread

"
Khoranth wrote:

Not yet.

I just started playing poe again, after a long break, why dont new maps that are dropping fit into the map stash tab I bought,
It wont let me put the new maps in my map stash tab?

A: each league you'll get a new tab for the maps, as they become a new generation. It'll be near the back of your tabs. So, you'll end up with several map tabs (one for each iteration of the game).

I suspect you probably found this out already.

Q: Is it snowing?!

"
erdelyii wrote:

A: No snow for Vancouver yet.
Q: Red or White Wine?
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
DoubleU wrote:
"
erdelyii wrote:

A: No snow for Vancouver yet.

Would have to get pretty cold because the sea?

Q: Red or White Wine?

Red.

But -

Depends on the occasion and the food if that's part of it, of course. I don't tend to really like much of it, either way, without knowing why. Maybe the sulphites and of course the taste. Cheap wine usually tastes bad, especially white. Prefer a good stout {that's one I had in November this year, up in the High Country) or spirits. But when wine is good, it's really good. Wine's pretty big here, especially in this state, and there's a lot of wankery around it and a variety that I find even more daunting than the Star Trek back catalogue.

Wine, really? When articles like this exist.

I have my own odd (dare I say wanky) idea though that Red is more romantic and derring-do, poetical and fuel for art than white. Did Byron stroll around Italy in a big shirt [striketrhough]writing poetry[/strikethrough] looking to get laid quaffing Chardonnay? Highly doubtful, right?

Q: Tell us about a collection you have, how it started and what you do to maintain or increase it?

Last edited by erdelyii on Dec 31, 2018, 8:08:15 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:

Q: Tell us about a collection you have, how it started and what you do to maintain or increase it?

I don't actively collect anything at the moment.

When I was a child I used to save tickets whenever I visited a castle, used public transport, etc. Sometimes I took my family members' tickets as well. I store them in a metal box, but haven't had any occasion to add anything to my collection for a long time.

Exchanging postcards was my hobby 10 years ago or so, but stamp prices killed it. It also didn't feel as good as when I started sending them. I still wonder what's the best way to store them (don't want albums). I'll keep the details about second part of the question to myself.

I also have a pile of bookmarks, but they kinda collect 'themselves', coming and going.

Q: Is free will a real thing or does everything depend on our environment and genetics?
Something something a divider between posts

📸 Screentober 2021 🦚 — Please Participate!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3182966
A: Philosophers of times long gone, maintained that people could WiLL their own actions, but that those actions alone were truly FREE that accorded with the good or harmony of the whole. Thus, only a wise action is trully free.

I guess that means that only wise men excercise free will, and no matter how hard I try, I can't, for the sake of me, find anyone that could fit into that particular category, at least not anyone that I know of.

The rest of us, common people, we struggle, our actions are not willed freely, maybe some, the bravest amongst the rabble try harder than others, but at the end of the day we're still slaves to our passions and desires, physical conditions, external circumstances, necessities and the like, and that, most of the times, is regretably beyond the control of the individual in question.

That said, I think, ultimately, free will is, or should be the way to an achievement, not the achievement itself, and failure to achieve the goal is not a disaster, it's rather a good lesson of life.

Q: Do you know of anyone, still among the living, that could fit into that^^ category?
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
A: Firstly, philosophy is something I am not well-aquainted with. I had a look at the free will issue, looking for these ancients you mentioned, and it's a big topic.

huge

"
History of the Free Will Problem
From its earliest beginnings, the problem of "free will" has been intimately connected with the question of moral responsibility. Most of the ancient thinkers on the problem were trying to show that we humans have control over our decisions, that our actions "depend on us", and that they are not pre-determined by fate, by arbitrary gods, by logical necessity, or by a natural causal determinism.

As I'm ill-equipped to tackle this from a philosophical standpoint, I'll go with a general response -

I think that the harmony of the whole is a nice thought, but not realistic. It's like -

- when a harmonic system is more like

Nature red in tooth and claw, beyond moral considerations. Think of human society as an ecosystem and wise - survival and thriving - entails a degree of realism and understanding that the harmony of the whole is ineffably complex and constantly in flux as competing interests interact. Why even try to consider good--harmony?

The only non-egomaniacal wise person in your case would be a fool

Someone like this today,

Forrest Gump?

I think a wise person is one who is more the one on the right here.

Bing's daily image on a 44 c day was a welcome sight, being a winter festival with snowflakes. More than that, it's intriguing (the image was a detail closeup).

Fighting evil with costumes
Wearing costumes made of furs, fabric, and wood, these performers are known as kukeri. They march and dance, while making noise with the many bells on their costumes. It’s a pagan Slavic custom dating back to ancient times and still takes place each winter in many cities and villages in the Balkan peninsula of southeastern Europe. The elaborate costumes and loud noises are intended to keep evil spirits at bay. Meanwhile, a member of each participating family - usually the youngest - conducts a blessing called a survakane; using a decorated staff, he or she lightly pats other family members on the back, giving a blessing of happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Traditionally, kukeri performers were men, though women now participate as well.

The photo on our page today was taken in Bulgaria, at one of the largest kukeri festivals, called the International Festival of the Masquerade Games, or sometimes simply called Surva. It’s held each year during the last weekend in January. But from Greece to Romania, travellers may see kukeri festivals anytime between New Year’s Day and Lent, or even Easter, depending on local customs.

Q: Have you been somewhere, or wanted to, because of being curious or drawn to a festival?

Last edited by erdelyii on Jan 25, 2019, 6:36:51 AM
"
Q: Have you been somewhere, or wanted to, because of being curious or drawn to a festival?

A: Not really. There was a gothic music one where my family lives, but I wasn't able to visit them when the band I wanted to see was on the list. It was around 10 years ago I think...

Q: What's the first board game you remember yourself playing?
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
Iangyratu wrote:

A: Not really. There was a gothic music one where my family lives, but I wasn't able to visit them when the band I wanted to see was on the list. It was around 10 years ago I think...

Holy necro, Batman.

Hey. Y'know why don't we also comment a little on people's answers?

Do you mean gothic as in medieval or goth?

"
Iangyratu wrote:
Q: What's the first board game you remember yourself playing?

Snakes and Ladders.

At my paternal grandparent's house, beside a bay window on a rough green fabric couch amid lots of exaggerated emotions from the adults when the snakes were landed on. Made it more fun, of course.

Q: If you could teach 100 influential people something, what would it be? (You don't have to already have the skill).
"
erdelyii wrote:
Holy necro, Batman.

Hey. Y'know why don't we also comment a little on people's answers?

Do you mean gothic as in medieval or goth?

Pfff, this is Off-Topic, so not really a necro. Just a friendly bump to preserve a good topic. It's best these boards have. ;)

Goth. I can't stand medieval music actually. Probably this band I liked back then:
https://youtu.be/VErQQLv-3NQ

Random fact: the vocalist was a friend of Tomasz Beksinski, Zdzislaw Beksinski's son.
https://youtu.be/9y9rp2P9tXQ

---
Nice picture, and a memory.
(I'll leave your question to someone else)
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
erdelyii wrote:

Q: If you could teach 100 influential people something, what would it be? (You don't have to already have the skill).

A: I would tell them the following

You have no control over the outcome, but you have every control over the effort.

Q: Red, green or yellow and why?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info