please don't nerf Arc Traps

"
oldmunchi wrote:
this happens every single league dude. look in the past. CoC, mjolner, fyndelthrow, crit, es, bladeflurry, incenerate, doubledip, vaal spark, the list goes on and on. arc is going to get dumped, and something else will surface. its simply the way of things

Take into account, there hasn't been any huge nerfs since like Vaal pact/double dip rework and that's been 1 year now(since 3.0). Anything since then has been significantly buffed, the skill revamp clearly shows GGG is trying to align weaker skills with top tier skills instead of nerfing op skills. Poet's pen been absurdly op and needed a nerf long time ago, however no work has been done towards that showing GGG is afraid to take away a toy and piss people off. I think that's plenty of evidence GGG is turning away from nerfing things to buffing things instead.

Look at arc. Even a 5 year old could balance it better than GGG did it with a 100 employees on their side. Literally everyone called Incursion to be an Arc league, GGG had plenty of time to tweak a few numbers before the league's start and fix their mistake. Nothing has been done and the skill turned out to be op just like everyone predicted. So will wee see any significant nerfs next patch? Personally I would love to see all braindead skills like RF/Ele Hit/Arc/BV to get a nerf. But is it actually going to happen? Based on GGG's work since 3.0, it's highly unlikely. A slight nerf may occur, but it's going to be so unnoticeable it's not going to matter. Arc trap needs its damage nerfed by 2 or even 3 times to not be broken and that's just simply not going to happen.

Also most of the other non-meta skills are pretty much braindead as well. Heavy Strike is not even meta much however it deals more damage now than any double dipping build could just a year ago. In order to see a significant nerf for Arc GGG needs to nerf half of their revamped skills with it. That's way too much work for GGG, also they would have to deal with angry supporters leaving the game due not being able braindeadly oneshot everything including bosses.

TL;DR Small nerfs may occur but nothing significant, so don't worry and play arc trapper next league if you wish, nothing is going to change much.
Last edited by Dr1MaR on Aug 17, 2018, 1:02:27 AM
"
Arc traps have very smooth and very satisfying playstyle. Can't say they are that much OP because in practice their Shaper DPS is limited around 500k. While EH easily hits 2M Shaper DPS and keeps scaling with expensive gear. If something will be nerfed in next patch i bet it will be EH.

um... i could easily top 500k dps with a defensive-minded non-crit arc trapper, my relatively cheap non-crit immortal firetrapper had like 800-900k (ignoring the burning ground dps) and firetrap has about as much single-target potential as arc trap.

Traps are more or less fine atm, with the exception of being able to lay down a couple dozen traps before a boss becomes active to burst them instantly. That's pretty much the main thing that should be addressed with traps (and mines); i kinda think bosses that aren't initially active should release a radial pulse that destroys all traps and mines just before they become active or something, to prevent that kinda abuse. That'd even things out and make trappers and miners have to *actually* dps stuff down like everyone else instead of getting to insta bosses with several seconds worth of dps prepared safely in advance.

Otherwise, the main issue really is arc. Let's face it, it was overbuffed. They massively buffed its clearing ability with the secondary arcs that effectively double the number of targets struck, and then also doubled (or more) the damage vs single target with the 'more damage per remaining chain'... it was just too much of a buff, especially for an auto-piloted skill that actively seeks out targets virtually regardless of aim and positioning. It should have been one or the other, not both. Make it better for clearing with the secondary arcs, or make it better for single target with the more damage line, not both. I'd suggest the former, since that's more in line with arc's identity as a leaping bolt of electricity.
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 17, 2018, 1:15:37 AM
"
Shppy wrote:
"
Arc traps have very smooth and very satisfying playstyle. Can't say they are that much OP because in practice their Shaper DPS is limited around 500k. While EH easily hits 2M Shaper DPS and keeps scaling with expensive gear. If something will be nerfed in next patch i bet it will be EH.

um... i could easily top 500k dps with a defensive-minded non-crit arc trapper, my relatively cheap non-crit immortal firetrapper had like 800-900k (ignoring the burning ground dps) and firetrap has about as much single-target potential as arc trap.

Traps are more or less fine atm, with the exception of being able to lay down a couple dozen traps before a boss becomes active to burst them instantly. That's pretty much the main thing that should be addressed with traps (and mines); i kinda think bosses that aren't initially active should release a radial pulse that destroys all traps and mines just before they become active or something, to prevent that kinda abuse. That'd even things out and make trappers and miners have to *actually* dps stuff down like everyone else instead of getting to insta bosses with several seconds worth of dps prepared safely in advance.

Otherwise, the main issue really is arc. Let's face it, it was overbuffed. They massively buffed its clearing ability with the secondary arcs that effectively double the number of targets struck, and then also doubled (or more) the damage vs single target with the 'more damage per remaining chain'... it was just too much of a buff, especially for an auto-piloted skill that actively seeks out targets virtually regardless of aim and positioning. It should have been one or the other, not both. Make it better for clearing with the secondary arcs, or make it better for single target with the more damage line, not both. I'd suggest the former, since that's more in line with arc's identity as a leaping bolt of electricity.

Arc should be nerfed to scaling 5-8% more dmg per remaining chain, and due to the secondary arcs, reduce the number of chains to 6 at lvl 20

I think that would be decent nerf and would leave Arc in a decent place... I mean 7 chains mean 105% more dmg for single target..

With my proposed nerfs that would be 48% more dmg on lvl 20, which is more than enough
"
Apachy wrote:
The problem is not the traps, it is the Arc gem.
According to poe-ninja - 21% of all builds are based on Arc in this league!

Arc, Ele hit and vortex are too good not to be taken, they must be changed somehow.

And yes, I also played arc trapper in this league.

Gosh... that´s because many people (including myself) want to try new skills or reworked skills that are now competitive. There are many other skills that still outperform arc for single target dps and arc is now on a good competitive level.

"
Apachy wrote:

Arc, Ele hit and vortex are too good not to be taken, they must be changed somehow.

Its the opposite actually.

A self-cast Arc build has to actually deal with the downside of arc (slow cast speed). Traps just completely ignore Arc's only downside.

Try rolling a self-cast arc build and its a fraction as good as arc traps. First you bypass the cast speed, then you can pre-throw 20 traps to 1 shot any boss. That is the problem.

~Myth
*Laughs in Banhammer.

If they don't nerf it, I'll expect 25% of the population relocating in the house of the saboteur and shimmeron sitting nice at 10-15ex.

Spoiler
Me included.

Second-class poe gamer
"
Mythkiller wrote:
"
Apachy wrote:

Its the opposite actually.

A self-cast Arc build has to actually deal with the downside of arc (slow cast speed). Traps just completely ignore Arc's only downside.

Try rolling a self-cast arc build and its a fraction as good as arc traps. First you bypass the cast speed, then you can pre-throw 20 traps to 1 shot any boss. That is the problem.

~Myth

Disagree.
I also have a jugger (Rico's build) and this league the set up of gems was also changed because of the Arc.
What about, lets say, Enki's Arc Witch build?
Does it have a slow clearspeed? Don't think so.

"
Apachy wrote:

Someone else might have covered it but Arc is pretty strong but its the fundamentals of traps that are pushing it into being unacceptable.

Firstly the base trap throw times already shorter than the base cast speed, you also no longer need cast speed as a stat on your gear.

Secondly and this is the important one, cluster trap is supposed to swap coverage for damage however the auto-targeting of Arc and its extensive chaining means it just comes out as a boost, more regen, more coverage, 150% more damage.

Arc traps would have been fine if they'd left the cooldown on things supported by trap, it means you have another stat to consider (cooldown recovery) and limits the spam so it isn't a straight 150% more, however it would have sucked ass for most other things supported by trap.

Unfortunately its left as an outlier and of course its what most people played ^^
I would strongly emphasize that arc alone is hardly impressive.

As a newer player, I tried a bowazon without the zon, a frozenorb wannabe sorc, and ended up pushed into totems so I could move around and still deal damage.

That eventually evolved into frostbolt totems but I found that even as I learned more about the mechanics I just wasn't gonna be hitting the numbers that people regularly taking down the endgame stuff were.

This league I went for the arc trap fotm and I had the smoothest leveling experience thus far. Unlike trying to self-cast or utilize totems, traps gave me more control than totems yet retained most of the safety -- all while allowing for a massive precasted burst.

I tried running a ssf self-casting arc witch for this flashback. That on the other hand was far more painful. No longer letting loose multiple arcs at once, you could see a lot more variance, with some hits barely scratching and others taking huge chunks.

My primary reasoning for taking arc was for its ability to clear around the environment since walls were plenty with incursions. Through multiple totems arc works decently, but doesn't come close to clustered traps. Meanwhile self-cast is pitiful in comparison.

I haven't been around long enough to be familiar with the ggg nerfing habits so I don't know what to expect. But I'd like to assume that I'll get to enjoy running traps for a bit longer.
Yep, totally over league play.
Haven't played it but if the usage stats are so skewed, then it needs to be nerfed. But not to worry, it will be replaced by something new and OP, in the next iteration. That's how balancing works :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 17, 2018, 5:35:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info