Power creep may be good or bad, but you can't deny it happened! Any old-timers want to share

"
Koksii wrote:
Who is denying that it happened? They added tons of more multipliers, ascendancies, shaper items, stronger uniques in general, abyss jewels, buffed the entire passivetree, added OP corruptions, increased the dmg of skills overall, while monsters stayed the same since 2.0 - except map boss HP. List goes on.

"
Farfan wrote:

that was when you were unexperienced. now you are not. riddle solved?
bosses melt down because meanwhile you exactly know what to do.

Aaaaaand there it is!

(Some odd dude in my guild also denied power creep happened once. When we set out an explicit definition of power creep for him, he said "??? but that's how all games work" - which is a little sad to me because that implies he's never played Diablo 2, Starcraft, Halo, Assassin's Creed, or a whole lot of other games.)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Difficulty got sacrificed for richer content and almost endless layers of rng-based grinding.
It means anyone can beat all content given enough time spent, without needing 100's of exalts worth of gear.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
power creep was always the goal by a very high majority. it just makes sense. its logical. its practical.

killing more monsters faster is what almost all of us strive for, and its why path of exile has headed in this direction. that, on top of needing more content as often as they release it. this is has also fueled the power creep.

what is most interesting to me is seeing the difference in currency. i have no doubt its directly related to power creep, but i played for a very long time before i got my first 6L, and a handful of exalts and such.
now in a temporary league, i've already got about 40 ex worth of raw currency and gear. to me this is the biggest noticeable leap.

i mean back in the day, back in 1.2 there were builds that could clear gorge map (the standard test at the time) in a minute and 30-40 seconds. that was extremely fast.

but yes, our desire and strive for more and faster kills, as well as the push for constant content, has meant items and mechanics being released that has just made us crazy powerful
"
adghar wrote:
"
Koksii wrote:
Who is denying that it happened? They added tons of more multipliers, ascendancies, shaper items, stronger uniques in general, abyss jewels, buffed the entire passivetree, added OP corruptions, increased the dmg of skills overall, while monsters stayed the same since 2.0 - except map boss HP. List goes on.

"
Farfan wrote:

that was when you were unexperienced. now you are not. riddle solved?
bosses melt down because meanwhile you exactly know what to do.

Aaaaaand there it is!

(Some odd dude in my guild also denied power creep happened once. When we set out an explicit definition of power creep for him, he said "??? but that's how all games work" - which is a little sad to me because that implies he's never played Diablo 2, Starcraft, Halo, Assassin's Creed, or a whole lot of other games.)

You are comparing apples and oranges. This game is constantly evolving. Your definition of power creep is flawed regardless. This is as much powercreep as it is allowing everyone to do what usually was only for dedicated people. What you talk about now, always happened. People were always clearing screens, monsters were not ever more then just a breeze away from being obliterated. Only now even random Joe can do it with his 2h a week schedule playing arc traps. (And there has been an 'arc traps' for many leagues now')

Is this bad? I dunno, honestly. More people then ever are playing. It's def a strategy that works for every game to bring in more money. Only problem is those achievements that used to mean something are now worthless. Nothing left to chase, nothing left to grind.
I remember Trials of Atlantis in Dark Age of Camelot... killed that game for many of us. Power creep. It doesn't always work.

PoE is doing it similarly, but in smaller steps. It's smoothed out by the three month cycle. Players get used to the idea. It's here, but it doesn't seem to be as bad for some reason.
Right after Dominus was added, I remember killing him in parties and watching everyone die rapidly in his last phase over and over again. He looked all scary and people wanted to run away from him, not realizing that standing beside him was the way to avoid getting merked.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I remember Trials of Atlantis in Dark Age of Camelot... killed that game for many of us. Power creep. It doesn't always work.

PoE is doing it similarly, but in smaller steps. It's smoothed out by the three month cycle. Players get used to the idea. It's here, but it doesn't seem to be as bad for some reason.

Your going up in my estimation, Not only a daoc mention but one pointing out that ToA had a pretty profound impact on the playerbase.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It's here, but it doesn't seem to be as bad for some reason.

For me, to be perfectly brutally honest to myself? It's probably mainly because I've transitioned from school to working man, so I don't have quite as much time or energy to play anymore, so as Miska said - as an "average joe" I can now clear as fast with as little effort and brainpower as the top .001% did back before Temporary Leagues were even a thing. Faster, even, according to my impressions - but I never actually did experience visions of what the .001% did in 0.9.3 and Miska says they were just as fast and brainless back then, so I guess I gotta trust him.

If I wanted to stay on a high horse of sorts, though - I'd also attribute some tolerability to lack of alternatives. I may prefer a spinach and cheese pizza over a Septuple-Meat Cheezeblaster 5000 triple-layer Deep Dish PIZZABOMB, but pizza's still pizza and I'll eat it over all the sandwich places that are popping up elsewhere in the game industry.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 26, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

I miss camping in Darkness Falls with my Stealther and backstabbing unaware noobs... LUL
Last edited by Pez27 on Jul 26, 2018, 12:10:06 PM
"
adghar wrote:

-Killed T13 Tzteosh before I realised that Tzteosh had spawned. When I first played against Beyond monsters they were pretty spooky. Although at this point the power creep train had started rolling, and within a few months' time people saw Beyond as free loot pinatas, Beyond Bosses used to be at least a bit of a shock.

I do this in T16s I even killed T16 abaxoth thinking he was a Tzteosh I just hadn’t quite mowed down. Was pretty funny when the world eater dropped and I realized what I’d just done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info