The Ivory Chaos Armour Set and Cloak

These recolour skins are hilarious.

Its as easy as clicking the color on the program used to build the mtx and thats it.

You guys might as well release every set with 100 different color options because really its that easy.

Even after the tencent news still charging 40 bucks for an armor set LOL

Everquest 1 has the ability to dye a slot and automatically apply to whatever you're wearing iirc. That's nearly 20 years old now.

"I wonder if they will lower their insane prices now that they are owned by one of the richest companies on the planet?"

"Here's a $42 recolor."
"
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Meanwhile, other games have this little feature called 'dye'...

Just some LOSER
To be fair those games aren't unfortunately good as poe.

To be fair and not a moron, some games are far better and have both dyes and area pickup.
"
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Meanwhile, other games have this little feature called 'dye'...

To be fair those games aren't unfortunately good as poe.

1. It's called taste.
2. Just because PoE is good doesn't mean stuff like this should be so heavily overprized. I wouldn't even mind purchasing the possiblity to dye my armor, but a 42$ recolor is a joke.
This looks good. But I have to agree with others it’s harder to stomach a dye change for a full game price.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
how do you rotate the camera ^ ^
Looks great. I would argue that the contrast of the coloring makes it look better than the default chaos armor.

I decided to level a molten strike character again as my other builds just didn't seem to be progressing well. I could really use a Molten Strike mtx that isn't quite so orange or bright. Hope to see it soon.

P.S. Also, I would really like to see the Contruct golem skin that is usable by any golem ;)
Since a lot of people are mentioning games that offer the player the ability to re-color their own appearance... Ultima Online offered dye tubs as a mundane, ordinary in-game item by the time it officially launched in September 1997. And since then they've only expanded upon the options for what palettes, and what items, can be used.

"
DrCola wrote:
paying $42 for what is essentially a recolour feels bad, especially if you already have the set...

Yeah, this is starting to get a bit cring-y. Doubly so since GGG seems to pretty shamelessly admit that it's an extant armour set. ("We're giving a whole new look to one of the most popular armour sets")

It's painful enough (if acceptable given the MTX model) for the price being $42 per cosmetic set in a game where your character is viewed nearly top-down and only occupies a small portion of the screen. (vs. over-the-shoulder cameras)

But to then be asked to spit up the same price for a palette-swap? That's adding insult to injury. It's one thing when they re-use some materials that were otherwise no longer obtainable (by being restricted to limited supporter packs or challenge rewards) but this is something different.

I've been strongly advocating that GGG simply allow players to repalette armour sets on their own, even if it's done through an "add-on" option that costs a little extra. It'd make mixing and matching sets a lot more plausible. GGG could take note of Warframe, which lets players freely re-color every single cosmetic item (or even the base appearances) with one-click options to match the color sets of otherwise dissimilar items. The level of creativity that's grown in that game as a result is astounding. No one says that MTX is the "real endgame" of Path of Exile... But "fasionframe" most assuredly is accepted as a real endgame in Warframe.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
But to be serious, other games do sell recolours rather than dye sets -- SMITE, for example, has t1 (lowest cost) skins that are just recolours. They typically sell for about 5 bucks I think. Maybe a bit more. Or there's the Warframe set up, where you pay to unlock palettes but recolouring is built in as a free feature...

SMITE, it's worth noting, was copying off of older League of Legends, where many of the early alternate skins were basically palette-swaps. LoL has subsequently tried to bury that past, while SMITE, as I recall, has been kinda floundering in a now-oversaturated MOBA field?

And I wouldn't really fairly compare Warframe's palettes (I own all of them available on PC, BTW) to selling re-colored skins. For one, the price is MASSIVELY different: 75 platinum (which is never more than $4.99, and at the price most buy at, it's 87.2¢) for use on everything permanently, vs $42 (with sales never pushing it below $30) for a single suit.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
But those games all have more 'pay for convenience' than PoE. You can pay to unlock champions/gods/gear you'd otherwise have to grind.

I'd also note that PoE also still has that "pay for convenience" that sits brushing along the blurry line to "Pay 2 Win" and Warframe more of sits there as well. You CAN'T go to the MTX store and buy Prime equipment (the ones better than normal) and the list of what you actually need spend on is... Mostly just slots, but you can technically play all content without ever buying them... Which is pretty similar to "You can technically play all content in PoE with your four base stash tabs," with an unspoken "GL being able to acquire the gear to farm Uber Elder basically farming SSF, though."

"
鬼殺し wrote:
To which my response is currently: so what? I'll take that and sanely-priced mtxes over $40 recolours and $15-20 wings that look utterly crap. The ONLY reason I paid that much was to support a hand-made indie game from NZ taking on the big boys. That's gone. That's done. TencentGGG IS one of the big boys now. Arguably the biggest boy in the ARPG field.

They need to stop pretending they can charge these sorts of hand-made premium prices now that they've lost the indie appeal. They've gone big-time. Fully corporate. That's great. It really is. Adjust the prices of your no-longer-supporting-the-indie-brand products appropriately please.

Yeah, this is all very important to remember. The whole "indie studio pledged to ethical MTX" thing could justify a LOT in the past years. PoE, as far as I can tell, has always been the most expensive in terms of cost-of-entry for cosmetics. Yes, there have always been de-facto "joke" options that cost way more, but the "entry-level" for everything else, as far as I've seen, has ALWAYS been far lower.

GGG is not a small, indie company anymore. They ceased being small around 2015 when they moved ~100 employees into a whole large office flat and got their name etched on the glass door. Then they ceased being indie in 2018 when they became a subsidiary of the world's most-valued company outside of the United States.

And yeah, from that perspective: PoE is now the biggest boy. Activision-Blizzard is a decidedly smaller company than Tencent; $7 billion in revenue vs. $37 billion, and $58 billion in market cap vs half a trillion dollars.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
For perspective: I actually bought this horribly unfinished, buggy as hell, fixer-upperer-and-then-some WH40k ARPG 'Inquisition - Martyr' for roughly the same price as this armour set and I STILL feel like I got the better deal. And that's with me sitting on enough GGGold to get Re-Dyed Armour Sets ten times over and then some.

And from my perspective, I even note that the supporter packs come with armour sets. $60 USD buys me a full (often nice-looking e.g, Outlaw or Seeker) set, and $55 worth of GGGold?
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
looks gud but definitely need some character effect or cloak with it so i may pass this one
"
DigitalDreams wrote:
I've supported you guys for quite some time but when you consider what just one armor set like this one costs it's becoming harder and harder to justify the MTX prices, particularly with the recent acquisition by Tencent. In short GGG:

this. PERIOD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info