[3.5] SWOLE Blaze Vortex | RF BV Chieftain | 9K life | 3.5M Shaper DPS | Uber Elder down

Guys, guys. About the leveling, and some people having difficulty with this build, I have written a few tips if you wish.

Spoiler
If you go BV and RF from the start, you are going to have a bad time. Obviously you will not enjoy starting the league that way.

First you go towards pure RF while lvling with something like Sunder,(look at demi's RF chieftain build as a general direction on where to go) then,when you have your resists, your gear, everything sorted out, you respec and go towards BV or something else if you wish.

RF builds, be it chieftain, jugg,templar or others have absolutely no problem clearing pretty much all content just with RF alone.

You need something like scorching ray, or bv or others for the last % of the game, we talking red elder, uber elder, uber atziri,that sort of stuff,otherwise everything melts away fast, even in T15+maps with just RF alone. You will get very far in the delve with first sunder and then switching to RF, only when you reach shaper,uber elder type of depths in the delve, will you need to modify your build. This build is good for that last % of the game,but until you reach that type of steep hill, you do not need to make your life difficult by going RF BV from the start.

For leveling, you use sunder. And you can take that till you reach lvl 60 or 70 even.

This is what I have, there is no content at lvl 50+that causes any sort of problems, you can also lvl with cast while channeling,scorching ray+firesorm, but I like to be more mobile.

I farmed the currency for the tabula from act 1 to 5. Till then I used basic 2 link,3 link and then 4 links with cleave,and then sunder.

You can use sunder with either a 2h weapon or a 2X 1 handed weapons,the higher the base damage of the weapon, the better your clear with sunder will be.

Lvling with sunder is not only easier, but also less expensive. Also getting yourself a decent unique axe costs 1-2 alch, getting yourself starting gear to lvl with RF at the start of the league will not be easy when you barely have any currency.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8es2p6/basic_quick_guide_for_sunder_leveling_v20/
Last edited by Nosferat on Sep 4, 2018, 2:51:04 PM
dont know if you've already answered this but ....
is it feasible to run mark of the shaper + warlords mark ring ?
"
dont know if you've already answered this but ....
is it feasible to run mark of the shaper + warlords mark ring ?

I haven't considered it, but I foresee some trouble capping resistances, which is what the 2nd ring was meant to do for the most part. I don't think that the build needs more damage, and thus I reckon the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in this matter.

"
Guys, guys. About the leveling, and some people having difficulty with this build, I have written a few tips if you wish.

I will add this to the leveling section of the guide, thanks for your contribution :)
Last edited by davydavidsson on Sep 5, 2018, 12:08:39 PM
Because I am a psychopath, I mathed this out theoretically as a Cast on Crit Cyclone/Blade Vortex build. Please tell me how terrible this idea is so I can stop this madness.

Path of Building link below, in case you want to peer into the abyss with me.
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/w25TBgLm
"
Because I am a psychopath, I mathed this out theoretically as a Cast on Crit Cyclone/Blade Vortex build. Please tell me how terrible this idea is so I can stop this madness.

I have briefly dabbled with similar ideas a while ago and concluded that such builds are fundamentally flawed. Trigger mechanisms are most effectively leveraged with spells that have long cast times (most notably Discharge), and spells that do more damage the faster you cast them. Blade Vortex is neither of those; it has a very low time and does not provide more damage by casting it faster (granted that you have 10 stacks already).

In this particular case you're also losing two sockets to Cyclone and Cast on Critical Strike Support, eectively turning your 6L BV setup into a 4.5L setup. Additionally you have to invest passive points into accuracy and critical strike chance, which don't significantly increase your damage output, only serving the purpose of triggering your casts. Your PoB example clearly demonstrates that the build idea does not make the number crunch with BV doing only 400K Shaper dps as opposed to ~2M Shaper dps.

In conclusion: your idea is very terrible :(
Last edited by davydavidsson on Sep 6, 2018, 10:53:33 AM
I have made the build, kinda, see my char DavidHockney_
It is working for now I don't have kaom's hearth but when I do It will be fun to max my resists :D

EDIT: I have the kaom :D
Last edited by gring0bg on Sep 8, 2018, 4:16:53 PM
Really struggling to make this work, hard to justify how much I have invested in this so far.

Currently at 76, with Kaom's, 2 mod elder helm, astra (without corrupt), rings without warlords. Running blasphemy warlords in place of vitality for now.

The passive tree doesn't actually have enough INT to run the gloves until you get all the jewel sockets, so for now I've had to pickup a 30int node, and a 30 dex node to level RF.

Right now I have to use stone golem to prevent RF degen.

It seems the regen only JUST covers RF. If you lose hp, you need to get it back with flasks. Regen after RF is like 100/sec.

Additionally only 3 endurance charges, without a CWDT setup I feel very squishy even with currently 6k life.

RF is not amazing me with its damage at the moment, it kills packs but not as fast as I'd like, I can't just charge straight through, have to walk, feels slow.

Do you have any tips to help me fix some of the issues?
"
It seems the regen only JUST covers RF. If you lose hp, you need to get it back with flasks. Regen after RF is like 100/sec.

The point of Warlord's Mark, is that you can sustain yourself with life leech, something that RF builds traditionally don't do. Life leech is however only gained through BV, so it is important to have a couple stacks before engaging.

"
Additionally only 3 endurance charges, without a CWDT setup I feel very squishy even with currently 6k life.

You can replace the Orb of Storms setup with a CWDT setup with Immortal Call, and maybe Warlord's Mark, to save you the Blasphemy reservation. I just never felt like I had a need for a CWDT setup.

"
RF is not amazing me with its damage at the moment, it kills packs but not as fast as I'd like, I can't just charge straight through, have to walk, feels slow.

Unlike conventional RF builds, this build can not run Elemental Equilibrium (due to Avatar of Fire), we're also running RF in a 4L instead of a 5L, so in comparison this build does less raw RF damage, also keep in mind that RF scales with life, and you only have 6K life right now. This build however does not run RF for it's raw damage, but rather the damage bonus it provides to BV. Shield charging from pack to pack is very much possible by maintaining a couple BV stacks in the proces.

This was my league starter. Very fun and strong build. I started as shadow to mule the blade votex gem and I used a 4 link the whole leveling process without any trouble. My tree is very similar except I went down to duelist to grab more life, regen, and strength. I went with a shaper stack stick as my regen and fire res was enough to sustain RF. I do have a weapon swap that has Doon and Saffell for tougher maps that have minus max res and less life recovery. New skills and items that I used for this patch are consecrated path which is amazing for this build because of the 6% regen and the ability to move pack to pack while being very tanky. The new boots Doryani's Delusion are really nice and might be BIS for this build because it has everything you need without too much investment. The helmet I got lucky, it took me about 4 or 5 essence of horror to get that roll. The concentrated effect roll along with the 30% more ele dmg is more then enough damage to kill anything in the game. Lastly, I went with fire pen instead of added fire for my blade votex because against bosses and tougher rares in the delve fire pen was extremely helpful. Also my POB says that fire pen is a 5% increase in dmg in general. Overall this build is a versatile build, not the best at one thing but great in all aspects of the game. It can do Lab,all map mods with weapon swap and using only RF on ele reflect, awesome for delving, and great for bosses but I have yet to face end game bosses such as shaper and uber elder. Click on my profile to see my tree and jewels and if you guys want, I can post my POB pastebin.

Edit: Forgot to mention that instead of using elder ring with warlord's mark, I use lab enchant boots with leech to sustain my mana when mapping and if I face a boss without any mobs to activate my "if you've killed recently" I will then manually curse the boss with warlords mark. This rarely happens but sadly takes up a gem slot.
Last edited by PeterShoe on Sep 12, 2018, 3:12:59 PM

I have never reached and beat shaper faster.
Started as the mathils starting builds suggestions: https://youtu.be/anCvXM2ON0c?t=7m24s
Last edited by gring0bg on Sep 15, 2018, 11:28:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info